Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs modern Prog music still innovative?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is modern Prog music still innovative?
    Posted: July 24 2014 at 12:02
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

You can be somewhat obscure in sentiment (like early King Crimson before 1975), and not be cosmic like Yes, but
most "innovative" newer prog seems to have a nihilistic, creepy feel to it.  It seems a lot of new prog that is a little off the mainstream modally or rythmically is not done by "overcomers" -- it's like complaint, or sounds drugged out, in that, there
really is music that you have to be stoned to like!

I honestly think that the stuff in the late 60's and early 70's had a "stronger" purpose for being and doing, which helped the music a lot. Today, things are so spread out all over the place, that it seems that anything that anyone is into is silly, and worthless and it takes away from the strength of the music and its words.

I agree. There was a stronger purpose back then. At the time it seemed like it was more about doing something new, whereas today being "prog" is a matter of chasing an aesthetic that people think fits that title.
Progging the Rock, Rocking the Prog.

soundcloud.com/withinareverie

withinareverie.blogspot.com

facebook.com/withinareverie

Twitter: @WithinaReverie
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 01:38

You can be somewhat obscure in sentiment (like early King Crimson before 1975), and not be cosmic like Yes, but
most "innovative" newer prog seems to have a nihilistic, creepy feel to it.  It seems a lot of new prog that is a little off the mainstream modally or rythmically is not done by "overcomers" -- it's like complaint, or sounds drugged out, in that, there

I look at it from what I consider a larger perspective within the time, the place, the history and what influences are bringing out the music.

I honestly think that the stuff in the late 60's and early 70's had a "stronger" purpose for being and doing, which helped the music a lot. Today, things are so spread out all over the place, that it seems that anything that anyone is into is silly, and worthless and it takes away from the strength of the music and its words.

I shudder to see how "Tales of Topographic Oceans" would be so strashed today, by USA TODAY and PA and many other places, with little, if any appreciation for the musicianship that put it together in the first place, which to me is the difference between a good review and just a personal pee on the pot! We already do that to Dream Theater and many other bands, and say things like "that instrumental passage is a waste of time", and we still do not have any relative appreciation for the musician and his/her ability to put it together and MEAN aomething to that person!

It's a personal experience, and we just have to respect that a bit more, in my book.

(I'm just not sure we can do it well, though, when we're stuck in a top ten mentality!)

Moshkito , Tales was trashed when it came out especially by the UK music press and a certain Mr Rick Wakeman.

Keith Emerson was also very concerned about the quality of reviews that ELP received by people that were clearly not qualified to do the job. Maybe USA experience was different but prog got a rough ride here. Even Genesis were dismissed as just public schoolboys and not taken seriously. This was all pre punk btw.

Edited by richardh - July 20 2014 at 01:39
BTBAM View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 13:49
I have been a long time lurker here, and feel that I should reply to this thread. Not only in prog, but in so many areas of alternative music the songs are losing their spark. A big element of prog is the spirit and a lot of bands seem to be missing that.

I am in a band called ARPS who have just finished our debut album. We really started this band to create music we would like to listen to, that we think really hits the prog sweet spot. We are trying to make authentic 70s prog with some other more modern sounds.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/arps-band

Also for those preferring Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkx-5bLlhUw

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 10:45

I look at it from what I consider a larger perspective within the time, the place, the history and what influences are bringing out the music.

I shudder to see how "Tales of Topographic Oceans" would be so strashed today, by USA TODAY and PA and many other places, with little, if any appreciation for the musicianship that put it together in the first place, which to me is the difference between a good review and just a personal pee on the pot! We already do that to Dream Theater and many other bands, and say things like "that instrumental passage is a waste of time", and we still do not have any relative appreciation for the musician and his/her ability to put it together and MEAN aomething to that person!

It's a personal experience, and we just have to respect that a bit more, in my book.

(I'm just not sure we can do it well, though, when we're stuck in a top ten mentality!)
I understand what you are saying M in that the context of the times, I.E. the late 60's and early 70s, had a profound effect on how prog  music was received at the time. Unfortunately the times and attention spans quickly changed so Tales from Topographic Oceans quickly became a bore regardless of it's great mucianship.

Edited by SteveG - July 19 2014 at 10:46
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 10:35

Edited by moshkito - July 19 2014 at 10:39
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 10:04
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

No I don''t think it is but then I don't care anyway because my enjoyment of a piece of music is not determined by how high I rank it for innovation in my mind.
It seems to me there is more prog than ever. If 'it' disappeared altogether then at least on the bright side my bank account might be a little healthier.

Feel the same..
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 09:11
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

If you even have to ask that question, then you aren't listening to the right stuff, my friend...
I understand the point your making but the question was do you feel prog music is still innovative.

Edited by SteveG - July 19 2014 at 09:15
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 07:13
If you even have to ask that question, then you aren't listening to the right stuff, my friend...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 07:04
More innovative than most genres. I can't think of anything from the last few years substantially more innovative than say, Sanguine Hum or Henry Fool.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 13:54

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Call me cynical but I know exactly where this thread is headed: that exhausted and bed ridden dichotomy between progressive music c/f Prog....

You deserve your opinion.

My only concern is that the thread itself is not studious enough to even consider a good discussion, that goes way past our personal favorites.

The other part is comparing yesterday to today is stupid ... now comparing yesterday to yesterday I can handle, or today to today ... but the comparison of things 40 to 50 years apart is totally stupid and not a good discussion at all.

Fun example: Years ago the King would have said ... "a kingdom for a horse" ... today the maniac would probably say ... "a kingdom for Pink Floyd's money" ... or "a kingdom for a jet!"  It's just a different time!
I didn't know history had a time limit for comparisons M. Thanks for enlightening me
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 13:50

Call me cynical but I know exactly where this thread is headed: that exhausted and bed ridden dichotomy between progressive music c/f Prog....

My only concern is that the thread itself is not studious enough to even consider a good discussion, that goes way past our personal favorites.

The other part is comparing yesterday to today is stupid ... now comparing yesterday to yesterday I can handle, or today to today ... but the comparison of things 40 to 50 years apart is totally stupid and not a good discussion at all.

Fun example: Years ago the King would have said ... "a kingdom for a horse" ... today the maniac would probably say ... "a kingdom for Pink Floyd's money" ... or "a kingdom for a jet!"  It's just a different time!

I hope my links ^^ provide a decent discussion. Cool

If not, please be nice. Cry

EDIT: I didn't want to spam the thread with anew post-->I just wanted to say that pt. 4 is  the most fun to read, IMO.

Edited by Nick Dilley - July 18 2014 at 14:45

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 13:48
This seems to be a reoccurring question on PA.

I wrote an extensive analysis of this once. I'll post it here for interested parties. For me, once you start having conventions in a genre, it's not progressive. Unless, of course, the convention is something along the lines of never repeating the same thing and always trying to do something new. But....

Part 1: http://progressivediscussion.blogspot.com/2012/04/prog-ongoing-discussion-pt-1-living.html

Part 2: http://progressivediscussion.blogspot.com/2012/04/prog-ongoing-discussion-pt-2-genre.html

Part 3: http://progressivediscussion.blogspot.com/2012/04/prog-ongoing-discussion-pt-3-spirit-of.html

Part 4: http://progressivediscussion.blogspot.com/2012/06/prog-ongoing-discussion-pt-4-evolution.html

Part 5: http://progressivediscussion.blogspot.com/2012/08/prog-ongoing-discussion-pt-5-capstone.html

The biggest thing that I would change, in hindsight, is that I would include more discussion of less mainstream groups. Originally, I stuck to the artists I did make the articles more approachable. Either way, though, the points I make wouldn't really change. The entries get progressively longer as they go. Part 1 is super short.

Anyway, for interested parties, enjoy!

Edited by Nick Dilley - July 18 2014 at 13:51

Hnrz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 13:09
Prog is really now much more a genre than a description. Some bands are truly innovative, such as The Mars Volta, while others stick to the normal prog formula, or try to do the retro sound very well like Astra. I don't really discriminate. It is good to do stuff differently but equally I enjoy bands that simply do prog very well. I do note that the original wave of prog (when it was actually more progressive) are generally higher rated on this site.

I guess I'm saying that a lot of new prog isn't really that progressive but I don't mind, as there is a massive prog scene and a lot of good music.

Edited by Hnrz - July 18 2014 at 13:17
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 12:58

Edited by moshkito - July 18 2014 at 13:04
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 01:09
No I don''t think it is but then I don't care anyway because my enjoyment of a piece of music is not determined by how high I rank it for innovation in my mind.

It seems to me there is more prog than ever. If 'it' disappeared altogether then at least on the bright side my bank account might be a little healthier.
Stereolab View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 00:57
As long as modern prog standard-bearers continue to pull in influences from extreme metal, IDM, and other post-90s musical movements, they will be true to the spirit of prog... which to me means one foot in the past and one foot in the future. The 80s sucked for prog, surely... as it did for almost all guitar-driven music; I hope it's uncontroversial to observe that "prog rock" will always imply guitars. But every day I am listening to post-90s tracks and albums, immediately recognizable as "prog", that are just as good as anything that came out in the 70s, but could not have been written in the 70s. This is good news. Unfortunately Ayreon, Haken, and Spock's Beard don't sell 10-20 million albums like prog did in the 70s, but the music industry is so fragmented now I don't think such dominance is possible for any one genre anymore.

Edited by Stereolab - July 17 2014 at 01:01
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 20:51
Actually there are two different questions to be addressed here.  Are there innovative prog rock bands, innovating, that is, in some aspect or the other?  Yes, of course.  You won't find most of them in the typical genres like symph prog but that doesn't mean they don't exist.  

Secondly, is it as innovative as the 70s?  That is not even a fair question because so many things were being done for the first time in prog rock in the 70s.  Prog rock and rock as such are mature genres now and I think the time is past for any radical new changes that influence the genre as a whole, like how first punk and then new wave influenced rock in the late 70s.  By insisting that it has to be ROCK or PROG ROCK, you have already made an allusion to something specific, something that already exists.  A lot of things in  rock, as I already said, were done for the first time in the 70s.  The audience accepted these directions as still befitting rock music at that time (which, to be fair, was also possible because the genre still had plenty of new ground to explore).  I don't know if that can be achieved anymore.  There are plenty of genres I have never listened to at all but maybe somewhere in some of these genres there are some truly dazzling developments going on which rival or maybe even surpass the growth of prog rock in the 70s.

Edited by rogerthat - July 16 2014 at 20:52
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2014 at 08:53
Yes, modern prog music is still innovative.  If it's not, we better change the name of our website.  Comfortable is the antithesis, the exact opposite, of progressive.  I do think it's hard to pin a one-word term on something as wide-ranging as progressive music.  I would listen to just about anything produced by someone as talented and creative as Steven Wilson, and I don't even listen to fusion!
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2014 at 14:27

Call me cynical but I know exactly where this thread is headed: that exhausted and bed ridden dichotomy between progressive music c/f Prog. The thread title I fear is a misnomer as for me, Prog ceased to have any contemporary relevance circa 1979-80 and was to a limited extent, only revisited and streamlined by the so-called Neo Prog developments thereafter. (I heartily loathed Marillion, Pallas, et al but would concede that the foregoing did at least forge their own identities while drawing on their avowed inspirationfrom the past)If I understand the term 'modern Prog' correctly it would have to be  'state of the art retro' as daft as that sounds but the likes of say, Wobbler, Black Bonzo, Steven Wilson, Areknames and Transatalantic are producing predominantly Symph/Heavy Prog music that is probably genuinely/sincerely original but couched in the timbres, reference points and stylistic affectations of the past. This is also true of any current garage/psyche band who worship at the alter of Syd/Iggy/Seeds/Can. Have we reached a point in 1st world culture that unless an aesthetic phenomenon references an easily identified nostalgic tradition, it is deemed out of scope/irrelevant? As far as progressive music is concerned, it has and does exist in every genre or style you care to name (as long as you are prepared to seek it out) and it's never required a website to propagate it's unimpeachable value.

You and I are in agreement over 80's Neo Prog Iain, as we both don't have much love for it. It's no secret that I feel that all post 70's Prog should be classified as Neo Prog as 1979-80 was the juncture when most of the original prog acts disbanded, or worse, became commercial caricatures of themselves. The real Neo prog groups of that time like IQ, Pallas, et al, did carry the flag so credit has to go to them even if they were not too original sounding when they began. (I still don't think they are.) But as you stated, Wilson, Transatlantic, et al are doing there own symphonic/heavy prog thing. On reflection, I feel that maybe modern Prog should still be considered innovative for what it might produce. Prog is still the only rock genre that's core principle is based on innovation, experimentation and pushing the boundaries of music and technology, so it's still possible that another ground breaking work like ITCotCK or CTTE could be in our future. If it's going to come from some genre, it's going to come from Prog and no other. The caveat being that the bands in question have to stop admiring the past and start looking totally forward. I know of one band that does and the results are just short of stunning.

Edited by SteveG - July 15 2014 at 18:28
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2014 at 09:56
Call me cynical but I know exactly where this thread is headed: that exhausted and bed ridden dichotomy between progressive music c/f Prog. The thread title I fear is a misnomer as for me, Prog ceased to have any contemporary relevance circa 1979-80 and was to a limited extent, only revisited and streamlined by the so-called Neo Prog developments thereafter. (I heartily loathed Marillion, Pallas, IQ et al but would concede that the foregoing did at least forge their own identities while drawing on their avowed inspiration from the past)
If I understand the term 'modern Prog' correctly it would have to be  'state of the art retro' as daft as that sounds but the likes of say, Wobbler, Black Bonzo, Steven Wilson, Areknames and Transatalantic are producing predominantly Symph/Heavy Prog music that is probably genuinely/sincerely original but couched in the timbres, reference points and stylistic affectations of the past. This is also true of any current garage/psyche band who worship at the alter of Syd/Iggy/Seeds/Can. Have we reached a point in 1st world culture that unless an aesthetic phenomenon references an easily identified nostalgic tradition, it is deemed out of scope/irrelevant? As far as progressive music is concerned, it has and does exist in every genre or style you care to name (as long as you are prepared to seek it out) and it's never required a website to propagate it's unimpeachable value.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>