Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLed Zeppelin Reissues Part II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Led Zeppelin Reissues Part II
    Posted: August 20 2014 at 23:49
Planty !
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 21:53
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^It's Absolutely Censored Related!! Party on Robert!!!BeerSax manWacko Smoke Party ClapHeadbanger

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 19:32
^It's Absolutely Censored Related!! Party on Robert!!!BeerSax manWacko Smoke Party ClapHeadbanger

Edited by SteveG - August 20 2014 at 19:35
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 14:05
may be unrelated, but happy birthday Robert!!!
Progrockdude
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 22:19

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

I'm just tired of hearing all the crap about how Zeppelin stole this or stole that. I don't care. It's like I said before, it's what they did with a blues or folk song, for example, that makes it special and turns it into something only they could do.

I think we are all a bit tired......perhaps we should not 'feed the troll' and he might just vanish.

Just saying......

Ermm

Did you ever step in doggy-do doc. IF you ignore it doesn't go away!   

Big smile
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 21:55
Oh he's gone away for a while, don't worry.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 21:51
^ Yeah and he's been here since '08, he ain't going nowhere.   He's just an angry young man who hasn't matured enough personally or musically to see the subtleties of art and the creative process.   Maybe someday he will, maybe not.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 20:34

I'm just tired of hearing all the crap about how Zeppelin stole this or stole that. I don't care. It's like I said before, it's what they did with a blues or folk song, for example, that makes it special and turns it into something only they could do.

I think we are all a bit tired......perhaps we should not 'feed the troll' and he might just vanish.
Just saying......

Ermm

It doesn't  matter if we feed him or not, he's like a rash that won't go away. Smile It doesn't matter what kind of ointment you apply, he's still there staring you right in the eye.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 16:03

Just saying......

Ermm

Did you ever step in doggy-do doc. IF you ignore it doesn't go away!   

Edited by SteveG - August 14 2014 at 16:03
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 15:59

Just saying......

Ermm

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 13:59
Originally posted by LSDisease LSDisease wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

So are we saying that LZ did not pay any royalties, or the record company, back to the original authors of some of these songs LZ supposedly stole?

Van Halen essentially was a very good cover band for tons of songs previously recorded by other musicians, they made a lot of money too. I agree that Eddie VH was an excellent guitarist, he put his flare and personalization on all those songs....You may also say he stole his tapping technique from Steve Hackett.
Take first VH album, there's only one cover song on it and they didn't pretend they wrote that piece. What a comparsion, you really don't believe in what you wrote, do you?. VH got their OWN original songs, I mean they wrote it, riffs combination, lyrics, it's all theirs. LZ STOLE whole songs don't you get it?

Wrong.....first album there are two covers....Ice Cream Man is also a cover originally recorded by John Brim a blues guitarist.
VH II = You're No Good, sung by Linda Ronstadt, big pop hit, written by Clint Ballard.
Diver Down = Half the album is covers, more Ray Davies, Roy Orbison, Marvin Gaye and even Bill Evans.

Whether it was one song or 100 songs, both LZ and VH covered other artists. Stealing is against the law and not sure either of them have been charged with copy right infringement.

Seems you read a lot of Rolling Stone mag back in the day, as their critics did not like LZ much.

Unless I had first hand knowledge from Jimmy Page himself, I would never say he stole anything.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 00:28
Led Zeppelin = Hammer of the Gods
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 23:02
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 10:52
So are we saying that LZ did not pay any royalties, or the record company, back to the original authors of some of these songs LZ supposedly stole?

Van Halen essentially was a very good cover band for tons of songs previously recorded by other musicians, they made a lot of money too. I agree that Eddie VH was an excellent guitarist, he put his flare and personalization on all those songs....You may also say he stole his tapping technique from Steve Hackett.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 18:01
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

To really be fair, loosen up your fingers, and type up a list of songs that Zeppelin didn't lift. I have plenty of time to wait for it. Do you?

Okay. Tongue

Good Times, Bad Times
You Shook Me (properly credited cover of Willie Dixon song)
Your Time Is Gonna Come
Communication Breakdown
I Can't Quit You Baby (properly credited cover of Willie Dixon song)
What Is And What Should Never Be
Thank You
Heartbreaker
Ramble On
Immigrant Song
Friends
Celebration Day
Out On The Tiles
Gallow's Pole (properly credited traditional)
That's The Way
Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
Hey Hey What Can I Do
Black Dog
Rock And Roll
The Battle Of Evermore
Misty Mountain Hop
Four Sticks
Going To California
The Song Remains The Same
The Rain Song
Over The Hills And Far Away
The Crunge
Dancing Days
D'Yer Mak'Er
No Quarter
The Ocean
The Rover
Houses Of The Holy
Trampled Under Foot
Kashmir
In The Light
Bron-Yr-Aur
Down By The Seaside
Ten Years Gone
Night Flight
Wanton Song
Black Country Woman
Sick Again
Achilles' Last Stand
For Your Life
Royal Orleans
Candy Store Rock
Hots On For Nowhere
Tea For One
In The Evening
South Bound Suarez
Fool In The Rain
Hot Dog
Carouselambra
All My Love
I'm Gonna Crawl
We're Gonna Grove (properly credited cover of Ben E. King song)
Poor Tom
Walter's Walk
Ozone Baby
Darlene
Bonzo's Montreux 
Wearing And Tearing
I luv ya, man.  Clap

Edited by SteveG - August 12 2014 at 18:02
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 17:59

^Correct Jose, Zep CD remasters are indeed Redbook. I know that high res track files can be downloaded, but I don't know how they sound (and I'm not really that interested. )

I downloaded the hi-res files but have not played them...the A/B I did was with vinyl and the CDs, which as I said I prefer the vinyl versions. I suspect the vinyl and hi-res versions are comparable, my DAC will process up to 24/192 files.

I too have zero desire to go down the hi-res download avenue. I have a few albums in 24/96 and 24/192 and really not much improvement for the cost....now DSD64/128 I understand can be the cats meow! But now we are talking about a budget I would prefer to use on my analog end.
I agree Jose. D$D64/128 i$ suppo$ed to be awe$ome. But I keep thinking about the co$t for some $trange rea$on. Shocked
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 16:40

To really be fair, loosen up your fingers, and type up a list of songs that Zeppelin didn't lift. I have plenty of time to wait for it. Do you?

Okay. Tongue

Good Times, Bad Times
You Shook Me (properly credited cover of Willie Dixon song)
Your Time Is Gonna Come
Communication Breakdown
I Can't Quit You Baby (properly credited cover of Willie Dixon song)
What Is And What Should Never Be
Thank You
Heartbreaker
Ramble On
Immigrant Song
Friends
Celebration Day
Out On The Tiles
Gallow's Pole (properly credited traditional)
That's The Way
Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
Hey Hey What Can I Do
Black Dog
Rock And Roll
The Battle Of Evermore
Misty Mountain Hop
Four Sticks
Going To California
The Song Remains The Same
The Rain Song
Over The Hills And Far Away
The Crunge
Dancing Days
D'Yer Mak'Er
No Quarter
The Ocean
The Rover
Houses Of The Holy
Trampled Under Foot
Kashmir
In The Light
Bron-Yr-Aur
Down By The Seaside
Ten Years Gone
Night Flight
Wanton Song
Black Country Woman
Sick Again
Achilles' Last Stand
For Your Life
Royal Orleans
Candy Store Rock
Hots On For Nowhere
Tea For One
In The Evening
South Bound Suarez
Fool In The Rain
Hot Dog
Carouselambra
All My Love
I'm Gonna Crawl
We're Gonna Grove (properly credited cover of Ben E. King song)
Poor Tom
Walter's Walk
Ozone Baby
Darlene
Bonzo's Montreux 
Wearing And Tearing

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - August 12 2014 at 16:42
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 16:31

^Correct Jose, Zep CD remasters are indeed Redbook. I know that high res track files can be downloaded, but I don't know how they sound (and I'm not really that interested. )

I downloaded the hi-res files but have not played them...the A/B I did was with vinyl and the CDs, which as I said I prefer the vinyl versions. I suspect the vinyl and hi-res versions are comparable, my DAC will process up to 24/192 files.

I too have zero desire to go down the hi-res download avenue. I have a few albums in 24/96 and 24/192 and really not much improvement for the cost....now DSD64/128 I understand can be the cats meow! But now we are talking about a budget I would prefer to use on my analog end.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 16:11

Edited by SteveG - August 12 2014 at 16:14
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 15:50
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

There is nothing wrong with the "originals", that is correct. But the 90's remasters from originals are not very good. Jimmy Page and the boyz have known this and are doing the right thing by issuing new remixed versions and correcting the bad mastering.

He has returned the sound to what LZ was when they first came out on vinyl...big, bold, beefy sound. With much better depth, clarity and detail than the originals.

For me hearing that classic Zeppelin sound coming from my turntable is pretty special....brings a tear to my eye
Just wondering which originals. Atlantic issued the albums unremastered - in the digital format back then they did not sound so good - just .... post production master (2 generations on from the original tapes!) master> DAC > 24 bit > down sample > 16 bit CD. Page then did a complete remastering and they ended up as good as they were going to get (though hi res should sort that out!).But the thing is... are people not identifying the remasters from the (possibly still floating around) 80s issues?That could be a problem.

I am talking about the original vinyl issues from back in the day, for me in the US issued on Atlantic records. Those original vinyl issues are very good considering we are talking about late 60s early 70s.

From there the master tapes were then transferred to digital then pressed to CD, I think those are not very good. You first need to use an ADC (Mother Tapes > ADC...) so you can then work in the digital domain.
There is where I believe most of the disasters happen before the DAC process. And for sure ADC and DAC back in the early 80's were probably not very good.

The 2014 remix/remasters are much, much closer to the original versions with some good digital mastering to clean it all up and return it to pristine condition. And these 2014 issues are done from hi-res files 24/96 if I am not mistaken, of course the CDs are redbook. The LP are cut from the 24/96 files, which is why at least for me I think they sound better than the CD versions.

EDIT: From the LZ website, I should have checked, but I knew it was one or the other, as it turns out the masters were created from 24/192 transfers from original tapes

"Technical note: The new remasters were created from 192 kHz/24 bit digital transfers of the original analogue tapes. The catalogue is being remastered now to take advantage of the significant advances in mastering technology that have occurred since 1991."

Since no DVD/A versions are included, only way to hear the hi-res files is to download the 24/96 files and you must have a DAC capable of playing 24/96 resolutions. Again the included CDs will be standard redbook 16/44

Edited by Catcher10 - August 12 2014 at 16:09
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>