Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes, Genesis, PFM, Magma...DINOSAURS?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: According to you is just to define them so?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [37.04%]
17 [62.96%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2006 at 21:24
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

I quite like the term "Dinosaurs", i don't find it derogatory at all - it's quite a compliment! Dinosaurs were great survivors, beautiful, gigantic, intelligent, resourceful....... like Prog!

Look at it this way - Dinosaurs were the most successful species that ever inhabited this planet, they were here for millions and millions of years, recent research reveals they were much more resourceful and intelligent than most gave them credit for. The great meteor catastrophe theory continues to gather credibility and if it wasn't for that they would still be here (some survived, Crocodiles, Lizards, Birds, Fish, Insects...and one tiny mammal). Dinosaurs were a key development in evolution until Man only really entered the scene only 100 thousand years ago, in that short time he's managed to enslave the planet and f**k it up with pollution, and global warming is now at danger level.

The Dinosaur part I can agree with. The rest........well the jury is still out.
I don't believe that Global Warming exists. I think it's another of the many ploys by the "Pant Loads" that run this planet to secure more control. There is no hard evidence to support it at all, yet it has been accepted as truth. We once thought the world was flat to.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2006 at 21:44
Originally posted by Sacred 22 Sacred 22 wrote:

I quite like the term "Dinosaurs", i don't find it derogatory at all - it's quite a compliment! Dinosaurs were great survivors, beautiful, gigantic, intelligent, resourceful....... like Prog!

Look at it this way - Dinosaurs were the most successful species that ever inhabited this planet, they were here for millions and millions of years, recent research reveals they were much more resourceful and intelligent than most gave them credit for. The great meteor catastrophe theory continues to gather credibility and if it wasn't for that they would still be here (some survived, Crocodiles, Lizards, Birds, Fish, Insects...and one tiny mammal). Dinosaurs were a key development in evolution until Man only really entered the scene only 100 thousand years ago, in that short time he's managed to enslave the planet and f**k it up with pollution, and global warming is now at danger level.

I don't believe that Global Warming exists. I think it's another of the many ploys by the "Pant Loads" that run this planet to secure more control. There is no hard evidence to support it at all, yet it has been accepted as truth. We once thought the world was flat to.

the hard evidnece is being suppresed, if I understand correctly, but those nitwits in the White House who have political reason for this NOT to be a major issue... go see Gores movie on Global Warming if you have the chance....  high marks from everyone who has seen it... except those who have a vested interest in it NOT being a pressing concern...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
moonlapse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2006 at 21:50
Calling something a dinosaur usually carries negative connotations so I don't think it's a good idea really.  Also I simply don't like the term and it conjures up images of something that is big and slow-moving - like old computers or something.

And here's Webster's most relevant definition of dinosaur: "one that is impractically large, out-of-date, or obsolete".  Not a very flattering one, I'd say.  A lot of the great music made during that period is simply timeless, not dated or obsolete at all.
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2006 at 22:14
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Sacred 22 Sacred 22 wrote:

the hard evidnece is being suppresed, if I understand correctly, but those nitwits in the White House who have political reason for this NOT to be a major issue... go see Gores movie on Global Warming if you have the chance....  high marks from everyone who has seen it... except those who have a vested interest in it NOT being a pressing concern...

They are in a win win situation as I see it. They can say what they want and that's what bothers me.
I have a headful of all kinds of info on this. This has been one of my biggest interests my whole life. I know corruption is a major problem but my fear now is what we are in store for with Globalization.
Anyway, this is not a great place to discuss this sort of thing, but I will say that most people have their heads firmly planted in the sand.
gr8sho View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 13:03
Originally posted by Kleynan Kleynan wrote:

They were big, and anyone not willing to admit, that they are extinct, is a denier. Thus: DINOSAURS! Approve
Just curious, then would the Beatles be included in this definition?

I think the OP was making a point about the bands and the music.  Over here in the states, being called a dinosaur is generally considered as having a negative connotation.  So if you like the music, it should follow that you would not want to hear it referred to as pre-historic or extinct.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 13:15
Originally posted by moonlapse moonlapse wrote:

Calling something a dinosaur usually carries negative connotations so I don't think it's a good idea really.  Also I simply don't like the term and it conjures up images of something that is big and slow-moving - like old computers or something.

And here's Webster's most relevant definition of dinosaur: "one that is impractically large, out-of-date, or obsolete".  Not a very flattering one, I'd say.  A lot of the great music made during that period is simply timeless, not dated or obsolete at all.

Hear, hear!ClapClapClap

I'm one of those who heartily dislike the definition and think it's stupid, as well as offensive. Many prog acts may have been self-indulgent, but they sure knew how to play and entertain their audiences. Punk prided itself on its inability to do the former, and I've never been very keen on the way they had of entertaining their audiences (such as spitting, for instance). But that's just me...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12