Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould Iron Maiden be classified as Prog-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 08:17
What about muse?Its not exactly prog either!Its got its moments with proglike sections,but maiden has lot more of that and are generally more prog than muse.I could probably mentioned many other bands that are in the archives,but i`ll start with this one
Father Ted: Sheep like all wool-bearing animals, instinctively travel north. Where it's colder, and they won't be so stuffy.
Taril View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 08:19
Im against their inclusion. Prog moments they may have, but that still doesnt make them a Prog band. Their heavy metal. If we include them, Whats next? Ac/dc, Metallica? Where will the madness end. If someone wants to create a site for prog sounding records from NON-Prog bands go right ahead, but this is for Pure Prog bands only.
Bright Ambassadors of Morning
mr.burns View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 08:23

There are so many bands on this site that cant be considered prog,but has its prog moments.And please dont compare ac/dc with maiden,it just embarresses you.They are worlds apart,compare them with fates warning andbands in that category

Father Ted: Sheep like all wool-bearing animals, instinctively travel north. Where it's colder, and they won't be so stuffy.
mr.burns View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 08:26
And also i noticed uriah heep and deep purple are on this site,sure they`ve got their proggy moments but prog?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 08:30
Originally posted by Taril Taril wrote:

Im against their inclusion. Prog moments they may have, but that still doesnt make them a Prog band. Their heavy metal. If we include them, Whats next? Ac/dc, Metallica? Where will the madness end. If someone wants to create a site for prog sounding records from NON-Prog bands go right ahead, but this is for Pure Prog bands only.

I'm sorry to have to disabuse you, but your last statement is not correct. As a matter of fact, the Prog-Related section was created just in order to host bands or artists which, in some way or the other, have a connection with Prog, even if they are not 'pure prog' as you said. I would advise you to go and have a look at the bands/artists contained in this section to check if what I'm saying is true...

BTW, this is not meant in any way to justify IM's inclusion. Of course, it is quite clear that I am in favour, but I also know that the decision is NOT in my hands, and I don't want to irritate my esteemed colleagues of the PM team by carrying on like that forever.
Taril View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 08:36
Well then I apologize, though I always assumed this place was for pure prog guess I was wrong(That would explain some things)

I still am completely against IM' s inclusion.
Bright Ambassadors of Morning
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 08:42
Originally posted by Hatters Hatters wrote:

Personally I dont understand why Fates Waring, Fantomas etc are called prog and Iron Maiden is not because when I listen to them they sound the same as Maiden.

Fantomas sound like Maiden ... I'm curious, which song are you referring to?
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 08:44
Originally posted by sularetal sularetal wrote:

Originally posted by KeyserSoze KeyserSoze wrote:

Iron Maiden prog?? Ok, we can add Judas Priest and AC/DC into PA as well and then every band in the world...    

LOL

Why dont priest have prog moments????

kiddin'...

Well, actually, the first Judas Priest album is a bit psychedelic, and the second could be classified as something like proto-prog metal.

Anyway, I don't think Iron Maiden should be included. They might be influenced by some prog bands, and their music might have a 'proggy feel' sometimes, but not enough to be included, IMO, not even in prog related.

The only 'classic' metal band that I would like to see here in prog related is Mercyful Fate. Their first two albums have very proggy moments and I'm sure they influenced prog metal.

Edited by Joren - August 31 2006 at 08:44
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 08:48
Originally posted by mr.burns mr.burns wrote:

And also i noticed uriah heep and deep purple are on this site,sure they`ve got their proggy moments but prog?

That is why they are in Proto Prog or Prog Related
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 08:49
Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

Iron Maiden prog?? Ok, we can add Judas Priest and AC/DC into PA as well and then every band in the world...    

LOL

kiddin'...

Well, actually, the first Judas Priest album is a bit psychedelic, and the second could be classified as something like proto-prog metal.

Anyway, I don't think Iron Maiden should be included. They might be influenced by some prog bands, and their music might have a 'proggy feel' sometimes, but not enough to be included, IMO, not even in prog related.

The only 'classic' metal band that I would like to see here in prog related is Mercyful Fate. Their first two albums have very proggy moments and I'm sure they influenced prog metal.

I think everyone no'ed them, Joren(talking about MF).
sig
mr.burns View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 08:54

Änd maiden is not prog related?

Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 09:03
Maiden is way more prog than most of the Prog-Related bands featured in the archives.
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
MattiR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 09:04
Maybe all of metal bands are "prog". All black metal, all death metalLOL

Don't change history of metal music...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 09:11
Well their laterst album is just as proggy as Seventh Son. And this makes them a harder case to refuse their inclusion. As far as I am concerned this makes two proggy albums out 15 or 16.

Of course this is up to the PM team to decide (I'm not going as far as to say I do not give a hoot either), but if we are to include tem then they could be in prog-related without scandalising/antaginizing  too many members.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 09:12
Originally posted by Trickster F. Trickster F. wrote:

LOL

kiddin'...

I think everyone no'ed them, Joren(talking about MF).

Bugger!

Conservatives! Wink
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 09:22
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Well their laterst album is just as proggy as Seventh Son. And this makes them a harder case to refuse their inclusion. As far as I am concerned this makes two proggy albums out 15 or 16.

Of course this is up to the PM team to decide (I'm not going as far as to say I do not give a hoot either), but if we are to include tem then they could be in prog-related without scandalising/antaginizing  too many members.

I think their debut actually contains some of their most proggy moments. Phantom Of The Opera anyone?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 09:23

I think their debut actually contains some of their most proggy moments. Phantom Of The Opera anyone?

Their debut and Killers are more punkmetal than progmetal if you ask me.

Paul DiAnno had a much better voice than Bruce Bruce (Dickinson's real name)

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 09:33

Their debut and Killers are more punkmetal than progmetal if you ask me.

Paul DiAnno had a much better voice than Bruce Bruce (Dickinson's real name)

- Punk metal??? It can't get any crazier than this. LOL

- I think Remember Tomorrow, Phantom Of The Opera, Transylvania and Strange World are pretty proggy. Especially Phantom. Apart from that, its simply one of their very best albums. Big smile

- I wouldn't say DiAnno had a better voice, but I preferred him as well.

- Bruce Bruce is his real name? I always thought it was just a nickname he had when he was still in Samson.

General remark: if Iron Maiden would be included, nobody could refuse the addition of Metallica, since they had a considerable influence on prog metal. And when both Iron Maiden AND Metallica are in, many more requests will follow. I actually agree that Iron Maiden might have enough reason to be here in prog related (and they're a great band, without question), but I wouldn't want ProgArchives to lose its focus: prog.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 09:52

General remark: if Iron Maiden would be included, nobody could refuse the addition of Metallica, since they had a considerable influence on prog metal. And when both Iron Maiden AND Metallica are in, many more requests will follow. I actually agree that Iron Maiden might have enough reason to be here in prog related (and they're a great band, without question), but I wouldn't want ProgArchives to lose its focus: prog.

AgreedWink

for Samson : you might be right about it being a nickname!
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
lastdodobird View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 21:14

If that's the case, then maybe the whole proto-prog and prog-related subgeneres should be totally wiped out from PA...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>