Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPop Elements in Prog is Bad?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 14:01
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

don't fool yourself, guys. "prog" IS "pop music", however arrogantly we proggers may look down on those who listen to "pop"

Huh?!?!  Confused

"Pop" is short for popular. Prog is anything but.
Well, bands like Genesis and Yes WERE very popular some time ago, and these days bands like Mars Volta and Opeth aren't exactly underground, so..

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 14:12
even the most experimental bands are nevertheless "pop". if you don't believe me, go into a record shop and try to find Henry Cow or the Art Bears or Mr. Bungle; you will find them under "pop", at least here. and in my opinion rightly so. "prog" is a subdivision of "rock", and "rock" is a subdivision of "pop". so any snobbery like "I don't listen to pop music" is inappropriate, like it or not

Edited by BaldJean - August 15 2007 at 14:15

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 14:40

even the most experimental bands are nevertheless "pop". if you don't believe me, go into a record shop and try to find Henry Cow or the Art Bears or Mr. Bungle; you will find them under "pop", at least here. and in my opinion rightly so. "prog" is a subdivision of "rock", and "rock" is a subdivision of "pop". so any snobbery like "I don't listen to pop music" is inappropriate, like it or not

I agree 100Clap. As a matter of fact, in Seventies Italy, what we now call RPI wasn't called 'Italian prog', but 'Italian pop'  - pop meaning 'popular music', as opposed to such highbrow forms as classical and jazz. The distinction between rock and pop (which in Italian we call 'light music') came later than the Seventies, together with a multitude of sometimes slightly ridiculous subgenre names.

As to the original question, of course it is not bad per se - it depends on what kind of pop it is. If by pop we mean Britney Spears or the Spice Girls, I think we'll all agree it can't be that good. However, well-made, clever pop music does exist, and we all know at least one example of it.
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 15:29
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

I agree 100Clap. As a matter of fact, in Seventies Italy, what we now call RPI wasn't called 'Italian prog', but 'Italian pop'  - pop meaning 'popular music', as opposed to such highbrow forms as classical and jazz. The distinction between rock and pop (which in Italian we call 'light music') came later than the Seventies, together with a multitude of sometimes slightly ridiculous subgenre names.

As to the original question, of course it is not bad per se - it depends on what kind of pop it is. If by pop we mean Britney Spears or the Spice Girls, I think we'll all agree it can't be that good. However, well-made, clever pop music does exist, and we all know at least one example of it.

And I agree with both of you. Smile

Sorry if people can't get past that but any record store or download site you won't find a prog rock section (except some that specialize in it). It maybe under rock but rock is under Pop. Pop is the Umbrella and prog is not seperate from it like Jazz or Classical would be.  That is how it is viewed. 

Just because a melody is popular doesn't make it any less creative.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 16:57
I like just about anything mixed in with prog, pop is no different.
sircosick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 19:08
In that case, does pop exist as a kind of music with structures, beat tendences and direction. like any genre of music (say prog ;)?? Because, you're meaning "pop is popular. Perhaps there are no bands as experimental as King Crimson, for example, and they're still pop"...... so, where is the musical genre called "pop"??? What is the sense to call Depeche Mode, A-ha, Duran Duran or A Flock of Seagulls pop bands, while King Crimson and Henry Cow also have that label??

Back on topic, I like those "pop" bands aforementioned..... So I have no problem with pop in prog Approve 
The best you can is good enough...
coleio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 19:08

It just isn't though is it?Ouch
Clearly not pop AT ALL.
Where on earth do you see anything slightly prog being played on 'Smash Hits' or in the top albums charts or whatever?
You don't. Your argument is false pretty much, you probably knew that and just tried to cause a reaction by creating a silly controversial statement, and I hate it so much when people do that.
Eat heartily at breakfast, for tonight, we dine in Hell!!
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 19:26
Cos its only knock and knowall, but we like it.  

Ref Prog stuff on Smash hits albums I think you will find  Supertramp, Moody Bues, Yes, Procol Harem, Genesis, Peter Gabriel  have all had songs on various compilations. Ok so not recently but there was a time.

Edited by t d wombat - August 15 2007 at 19:27
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 20:12
Originally posted by coleio coleio wrote:

Clearly not pop AT ALL.
Where on earth do you see anything slightly prog being played on 'Smash Hits' or in the top albums charts or whatever?
You don't. Your argument is false pretty much, you probably knew that and just tried to cause a reaction by creating a silly controversial statement, and I hate it so much when people do that.

I think that these days there is a difference between the terms "Pop Music" and "Popular Music" even though the former is just an abbreviation of the other.
"Pop music" basically means the radio-friendly music for the masses that one finds in the top 40 charts, and hence a sub-genre of "Popular Music".
"Popular Music" is, in my understanding, a broad term for music that isnt Classical, Folk (as in ethnic) or Expiremental.

However,I would imagine that a Classical music purist would place Prog in with Pop music.....
LeInsomniac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 20:34

Clearly not pop AT ALL.

I agree with you Coleio, personally I think its a stupid statemente saying that If i find in a record shop or in two or in one hundred shops a prog groups (independently if its experimental or not) hunder pop category that it makes nevertheless part of pop music, cuase it doesn't. That means the record shop owners dont know what theyre doing. Just because a guy owns a record shop and labels as such a prog group doesn't mean he knows anything about it. Maybe he's trying to sell a group that in his shop normally doesn't sell. I go to record shops here and I dont find anything progwise in pop elements unless Genesis phil collins era. Not even Yes or Gentle Giant. Not even King Crimson. The only time i founded in a record shop anything prog was in the jazz section and it was Weather Report and Al di Meola. Are they pop musicians as well? Is Area a group that made Jazz a "pop" group? Does it follow the same composicional schemes than The Rolling Stones or a Phil Collins solo album? If anyone here says yes then you're just making a contraditory statement, only to further heat this simple discussion.

If you said yes, follow this link.

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=y05EmK66Gsk

Happy Family One Hand Clap, Four Went On But None Came Back
coleio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 20:45
Originally posted by LeInsomniac LeInsomniac wrote:

Clearly not pop AT ALL.

I agree with you Coleio, personally I think its a stupid statemente saying that If i find in a record shop or in two or in one hundred shops a prog groups (independently if its experimental or not) hunder pop category that it makes nevertheless part of pop music, cuase it doesn't. That means the record shop owners dont know what theyre doing. Just because a guy owns a record shop and labels as such a prog group doesn't mean he knows anything about it. Maybe he's trying to sell a group that in his shop normally doesn't sell. I go to record shops here and I dont find anything progwise in pop elements unless Genesis phil collins era. Not even Yes or Gentle Giant. Not even King Crimson. The only time i founded in a record shop anything prog was in the jazz section and it was Weather Report and Al di Meola. Are they pop musicians as well? Is Area a group that made Jazz a "pop" group? Does it follow the same composicional schemes than The Rolling Stones or a Phil Collins solo album? If anyone here says yes then you're just making a contraditory statement, only to further heat this simple discussion.

If you said yes, follow this link.

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=y05EmK66Gsk

Thankyou, I agree with you 100%. I rarely find anything remotely prog under pop, maybe some prog-related stuff like 'Muse' at the most.
And yes, if a record store owner labels prog under pop, or any other category other than that which it is, he doesn't know what he is doing.

I also thank Tony R for his post, as my next post on this topic was going to be about the fact that 'pop' music has took on a completely different meaning in this day and age when referring to music.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 21:15
guys, don't delude yourselves: prog is pop. go and have a look at what it takes to be in the top 100 of the classic, jazz and prog charts; it will be an eye opener

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
coleio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 21:19

guys, don't delude yourselves: prog is pop. go and have a look at what it takes to be in the top 100 of the classic, jazz and prog charts; it will be an eye opener

Not sure what context you're referring to so I can't until you expand further.
Although, I'm guessing from the way you're saying this in the first place you have little to no clue yourself.
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 21:21
What passes as a "Pop element"? I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you mean.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 21:24

Not sure what context you're referring to so I can't until you expand further.
Although, I'm guessing from the way you're saying this in the first place you have little to no clue yourself.

just compare how many sales an album has to have to enter these charts. and then go and repeat "prog is not pop" if you dare

Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 21:30
In my own brain prog is popular outside of my brain prog is the gold hidden far below the earth surface wanting to make somebody rich who can be bothered digging for it  Approve 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 21:30

Not altogether true. Some of the most experimental bands are jazz or classical artists, and they aren't under the pop classification. Wink
coleio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 21:31
Okay done.
Prog is not pop, look I repeated it. Prog is not pop.

If you had bothered to carefully read previous responses (Tony R and then my post congratualting Tony on pointing out there is a big difference between the the two kinds of 'pop'), you would've realised that sales and whatnot, actually have little to do with 'pop' music (of which prog is not).

You may be referring to popular ('pop' abbreviation). Yes prog does have more sales than its jazz and classical counterparts, but it isn't the other kind of pop music (the kind the thread originally referred to), which is simple, 4/4, radio-friendly, catchy, dancing and singing music.
You follow?
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 21:32
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

Not altogether true. Some of the most experimental bands are jazz or classical artists, and they aren't under the pop classification. Wink

I am talking about the most experimental bands in the archives

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 21:34
In that case, you are correct (except for some of the jazz bands).

Edited by Shakespeare - August 15 2007 at 21:36
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>