Topic ClosedExamples of Dream Theater's influences

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 20:08
Originally posted by ProgressiveOpinion ProgressiveOpinion wrote:

I'm just as big a fan of early DT as anyone, but I can think of about 100 other prog bands that deserve to be discussed in place of the endless streams of DT threads.

I actually agree, but there have always been endless streams of DT threads as DT is a very popular band - I would like to see more threads with other prog-metal bands - Shadow Gallery, Circus Maximus, Angra, Sieges Even, Tad Morose, Enchant, Evergrey, POS, Tiles to name a few. But DT and apparently
Symphony X have always been among favourites here.

Edited by Cristi - March 01 2008 at 21:37
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 20:55
FANTASTIC.... ALL OF YOU ARE WHINING ABOUT NEGATIVE THREADS AND HERE YOU ALL ARE IN THIS MAGNIFICENT "LET'S BASH DT FOR FREE!" THREAD.....

So much for worries about "positivity"... only when it's about symphonic rock....
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 21:17
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

FANTASTIC.... ALL OF YOU ARE WHINING ABOUT NEGATIVE THREADS AND HERE YOU ALL ARE IN THIS MAGNIFICENT "LET'S BASH DT FOR FREE!" THREAD.....

So much for worries about "positivity"... only when it's about symphonic rock....

I'm not bashing DT, I just agree to the fact that there have always been an excessive amount of DT topic and polls, that's all.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 21:21
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I'm not bashing DT, I just agree to the fact that there have always been an excessive amount of DT topic and polls, that's all.

And I'm not talking about you, as what you say is actually right...

I'm talking about how people complaint about negativity but love negative threads...

As long as it's metal, who cares....
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 02:48
we all feed
on tragedy
it's like blood to a vampire

lolz

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 03:09
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by ProgressiveOpinion ProgressiveOpinion wrote:

I'm just as big a fan of early DT as anyone, but I can think of about 100 other prog bands that deserve to be discussed in place of the endless streams of DT threads.

I actually agree, but there have always been endless streams of DT threads as DT is a very popular band - I would like to see more threads with other prog-metal bands - Shadow Gallery, Circus Maximus, Angra, Sieges Even, Tad Morose, Enchant, Evergrey, POS, Tiles to name a few. But DT and apparently
Symphony X have always been among favourites here.

People simply gravitate towards the most popular bands ... regardless of genre. Space Rock? Hawkwind. Symphonic Prog? Yes, Genesis. Prog Metal? DT, SyX. Post Rock? GYBE!, Sigur Ros.

One of the most important lessons that I have learned since I've been visiting sites like this is that in every genre there are second (or even third) tier bands which made albums that easily match or even outclass those of the "iconic" bands.
-Radioswim- View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 03:46
I don't know why people pass of such generic associations of different emotions and melodies as plagierism, you cant name a single band, that doesnt atleast borrow certain moods from another, its almost impossible not to, theres only so many notes, and so many instruments to work with, frankly im amazed bands sound so different with the thousands of songs, and albums written. 4000 bands, theres bound to be a few that sounds similar. But please people, its not plagierism
I've taken a look at a few of the examples mentioned, IE the association of DT's "Solitary shell" keyboards, and Yes's "And you and I" keyboard, CLOSE, but you have to put it into context, they don't even make you feel the same way, and even if you did look at it note by note on a peice of paper, theyre not even close... the instruments themselves might convey a similar emotion, but in context, they're miles apart.
Ya know, there is such a thing as over Analyzing.
Frippertron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 07:13
I suggest trying it with other bands.. The Flower Kings for starters.

A lot of music nowadays does tend to sound like other stuff.. Do you realise how many songs have been recorded since the 1950s???

Something is bound to crop up with which will have parts of the same melody from a track from another song.

LOL
The Cheerful Insanity of Prog Rock
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 10:41
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

DT are a rock band in a really traditional sense who don't deign to do intellectual or unusual things, so of course all their music sounds reminiscent of earlier work by other similar bands - it's something that's hard to escape, even when you try. It's not something personal to their band alone - the world's been subjected to a glut of hard rock and metal in the past and it's all part of rock consciousness.

I seriously doubt that fans of standard rock bands would consider the music of DT to be "usual". From the perspective of mainstream, non-prog listeners they're highly experimental and unusual. Only from the perspective of Krautrock/Avant-Prog/Post Metal etc. fans they might be seen as "usual" IMO.

And btw: IMO there aren't really any bands which sound similar to DT in the sense that you might confuse them ... they may draw from a long list of influences, but they created their own style. Embarrassed

True enough. In the field of rock, Dream Theater are a band doing something more special than most others. Yet you can see what I mean about the inherent limits of playing the sort of music - however well and ideosyncratically - that was established forty or fifty years ago.

Much as I don't like rock, I was actually defending the band in a curious sort of way. It's a shame this thread wasn't worded more diplomatically. "Ripping others off" = intended to cause trouble.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 12:09
Last chance to calm down here.

Let's see if we can make this a simple, straight forward disucssion about the influnces of other bands, music etc., on the music of DT.

No everybody hates us histionics, no eveything they have done is bad nonesense, just an adult discussion about the music. As John Lennon once said, it's easy if you try. 

(I've changed the thread title by the way)
everyone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 12:50
The largest word in this discussion is "like."  They sound like, the chord progressions sound like, etc.... but who has the writing credits and whatnot.  Just because someone can hear an influence from other bands does not mean they "ripped that band off."  To me the influence heard from a band is the band themselves paying tribute to the music that they have heard or currently listen.  There are a limited amount of scales and notes.  DT happens to be the most popular in this type of rock.  I am not a fan of their music but I wish they would release a reggae prog, prog bluegrass or a blues prog album.  Quit being so anal about their music and enjoy the music for the music's sake.  If you do not like what they release, record your own.  Out of all the bands in this database many listen to only a handfull of bands?  I joined because I wanted to learn about old/new bands and hear music of all types.  
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 12:57
Sure, there's so much music around that you're bound to wind up with some things that sound the same.

But if you 'pay tribute' to an artist by quoting them, you acknowledge them in the liner notes. I don't think I've ever seen DT do that.

Heck, you probably even ask the artist for permission to quote them first.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 13:27
Originally posted by laplace laplace wrote:

Much as I don't like rock, I was actually defending the band in a curious sort of way. It's a shame this thread wasn't worded more diplomatically. "Ripping others off" = intended to cause trouble.

I think that the more music we listen to the more we must realize that everything is a rip-off. If not intentionally then on the subconscious level ... in the end all new music is created "under the influence" of all the music the artist as been exposed to previously.

For me the ultimate goal for any musician should be to create something which expresses what they are, their essence if you will. Bach, Mozart ... I'm sure they didn't writer their music with the goal of avoiding any influences, or of throwin all existing concepts out of the window. Instead they built upon these established concepts, modifying and/or expanding some, but ultimately using all available concepts to achieve their goal ... the compositions they developed in their mind.
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 16:07
As long as there are fanboys constantly spewing about how Dream Theater are musical gods and people are stupid/musically incompetent for not liking them, there will always be conflict.

On the brighter side, I will say that Dream Theater is not directly ripping anyone off, but it is more like their influences are becoming more and more obvious (like many have said before). I'm listening to "Images and Words" and "Awake" right now and it's almost like it's a different band. Subtlety is something I greatly appreciate when it comes to music, and it seems like Dream Theater has lost a good deal of subtlety as time went on.
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 16:11
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

As long as there are fanboys constantly spewing about how Dream Theater are musical gods and people are stupid/musically incompetent for not liking them, there will always be conflict.

Please show me one such post ... I can't recall any such statements in this forum.
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 16:34
I'm not being specific to this forum, that would just be vindictive! I'm talking generally around the Internet music community. I and many, many people I know have had many run-in's with people like that (both Dream Theater and Scarsick fanboys).
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 16:39
^ Well, that tells you something about the quality of this forum and its members! Smile
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 21:29
It's quite incredible how any prog-metal fan can easily tell DT apart from every other band in the genre... even from its clones (which abound, I have reviewed many of those...) It's only people who have heard limited amount of prog metal that find DT sounding like everything else...

As Mike said, music is the rip-off art.... just ask any of the sacred cows what would they be without classicsal music or the beatles.... Hell, just ask about anybody today what would they be without the damn beatles which I don't even love that much.... And it's very easy to tell... it's just that people dig in DT's music because is popular....

By the way, Bach, of all people, the Greatest Musician and Artists ever, spent a good percentage of his career "ripping off" themes by vivaldi (for example) and working upon them....

Well, people here will find a way to say Bach wasn't talented and wasn't "obscure enough".....

Music is the COPY/PASTE art... what differetiates copysts from artists is how good they are at hiding their theft.... Do you know ANYTHING about the mind and the subconscious? Read a little bit people.... YOU CREATE THE MUSIC YOU'VE HEARD ALL YOUR LIFE.... only adding what you can add by your own....

Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 22:00

It's quite incredible how any prog-metal fan can easily tell DT apart from every other band in the genre... even from its clones (which abound, I have reviewed many of those...) It's only people who have heard limited amount of prog metal that find DT sounding like everything else...

As Mike said, music is the rip-off art.... just ask any of the sacred cows what would they be without classicsal music or the beatles.... Hell, just ask about anybody today what would they be without the damn beatles which I don't even love that much.... And it's very easy to tell... it's just that people dig in DT's music because is popular....

By the way, Bach, of all people, the Greatest Musician and Artists ever, spent a good percentage of his career "ripping off" themes by vivaldi (for example) and working upon them....

Well, people here will find a way to say Bach wasn't talented and wasn't "obscure enough".....

Music is the COPY/PASTE art... what differetiates copysts from artists is how good they are at hiding their theft.... Do you know ANYTHING about the mind and the subconscious? Read a little bit people.... YOU CREATE THE MUSIC YOU'VE HEARD ALL YOUR LIFE.... only adding what you can add by your own....

Clap Bravo!

I don't care what anyone says, Dream Theater is great.
MajesterX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 23:19

As a student of western music theory, I am forced to agree with this statement. Influence and learning from the past is what makes art and music continue to perpetuate.

What separates copycats from artists is how well they have internalized the work of others with other influences.

However, I find, as a once "fan boy" of Dream Theater, that they are poor at doing this. What the most effective way to take influence in music is to study others' music- find out what makes it what it is. What I have observed in the writing processes and music of Dream Theater is that they cut this process off in its infancy. They listen to the bands they are claimed to be "stealing" from and they "get the gist" of what their music is about and, well, they show their influence in a rather cut-and-dry manner. That is why I could tell you what they were thinking of as influence for every song on their newest album and much of their past work.

I used to love them until I discovered the bands they have, in my opinion, not so carefully taken influence from, which has made the music of Dream Theater seem like a quickly stitched together quilt of influences. Don't get me wrong, they are amazing musicians and I enjoy some of their early material still, but I have lost much interest in their way of doing things.

This, coming from one who would always defend the band on countless occasions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>