Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBuilding a guitar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2008 at 08:22
Building a 6-string bass pretty much comes down to , as you mention, altering some dimensions to accomodate more strings.  The neck has to be wider.  Of course you would also need the appropriate pickups, bridge and other hardware but most of that stuff is pretty easy to find.

The main issue with a six string bass is string tension.  Six bass guitar strings pull a lot harder on the neck than four and keeping the neck relatively flat requires a stiffer neck.  Maple is the most common wood and it is very stiff, but not enough so for six string bass necks.   Most six string basses opt for one of two reinforcing pans in the neck.  Some use two truss rods placed about an inch apart rather than one run down the center of the neck.  This give you more control over the neck adjustment, but makes balancing the adjustment of each rod a bit trickier.

The other common way of dealing with the neck stress is to place a single truss rod in the center of the neck and add a couple of carbon fiber stiffening rods (one on each side of the neck about 1/2"-3/4" from the centerline).  These carbon fiber rods are usually about 1/4" x 1/2" and are pound for pound much stronger than steel rods.  Carbon fiber is extremely light weight and effective for this purpose.  The drawback to carbon fiber is that by stiffening the neck to this degree you make the truss rod work much harder to alter the curvature of the neck thus limiting the amount of change it can have. 

Sooooo,  the builders who use carbon fiber reinforcement usually try to build a few thousandths of an inch of back bow into the neck. This way when the string tension is placed on the neck it will not pull more relief (up bow) into the neck than can easily be adjusted with very small adjustments of the rod (or better yet no adjustment) if all works out according to plan.

Edited by Trademark - February 26 2008 at 08:29
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 06:43
Any more news lately?
N Ellingworth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 10:44
Not really, I've ordered all the other parts I need but it's going to take a while for them to get here, I have decided however that with the right tools cutting the nut slot and positioning the bridge won't require me sending the parts off to a luthier/guitar tech as after reading books by Trademark and Melvyn Hiscock I feel I have enough experience and now knowledge to do the job myself.

Unfortunately now though a complete lack of spare cash for the next few weeks (waiting for my university bursary which is due to be paid this month) will mean that I can't buy the vertical drill mount I need to be able to drill the bridge mount holes properly until early April, however hopefully before then I can get the nut fitted and wire up the pickguard.

I'm also being hampered by the fact that my parents are insisting that everything bar the body be treated as a birthday present so I'm not actaully going to be allowed to touch the parts for 3 weeks or so. Angry
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 08:48
Hurrah the rest of my parts arrived today, I've now got almost every thing I need to build the guitar now, all I need is the vertical drill mount to help me drill all the holes correctly.

I've already managed to produce another mock-up which hopefully shows how the guitar should look better than the previous photo.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 03:47
That looks alrightThumbs%20Up What program did you use for the mock-up?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 11:27
No program needed except paint to resize the photo Wink
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2008 at 11:33
What's the current progress so far?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2008 at 13:35
None I'm afraid, I've been very busy with university coursework recently, and will be for the next couple of weeks.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 13:57

What fretwire are you going to be using?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 14:06
The neck is pre fretted so I don't need to fret it myself but I believe it's got standard Strat size fretwire.

I should be able to start work on the guitar in a couple of days though, the first thing I'm going to tackle is getting the pickguard wired up.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 14:09
Ahh. So I imagine if it's based off a newer strat, it would have the medium jumbo frets.
What amp will you be running the guitar through?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 14:18
Currently all I've got is a Fender Princeton 65 DSP and an old WEM ER40 head which I run through an old 1x12" H/H PA cab.

I'd love to get a better amp but guitars are so much more tempting, although the current crop of 5 watt class A valve amps for around £100 look like being great little recording amps.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 14:27
The Wilkinson Trem looks really cool. Are you planning to upgrade the bridge saddles to Graphtech's?

Edited by HughesJB4 - March 24 2008 at 14:48
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 14:46
I might do it depends on how it performs initially, if the tuning is stable and the intonation is good I personally don't see the point particularly since I could put the money spent on those saddles towards a new set of pickups for my other guitars which could really do with an upgrade. Particularly my Steinberger which was fitted with EMG Selects at the factory, I'd like to get some Seymour Duncans or similar brand pickups to replace the rubbish Selects, although if I could afford to I would be putting some proper EMGs in it.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 14:49
Do you go on the seymourduncan.com/forum?

Edited by HughesJB4 - March 24 2008 at 14:49
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 14:56
I'm not a member of any music forums other than this one.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2008 at 05:56
Originally posted by N Ellingworth N Ellingworth wrote:

I might do it depends on how it performs initially, if the tuning is stable and the intonation is good I personally don't see the point particularly since I could put the money spent on those saddles towards a new set of pickups for my other guitars which could really do with an upgrade. Particularly my Steinberger which was fitted with EMG Selects at the factory, I'd like to get some Seymour Duncans or similar brand pickups to replace the rubbish Selects, although if I could afford to I would be putting some proper EMGs in it.

Well having normal or Graphtec saddles won't have any effect on intonation. A benefit you may or may not be aware of, is that you are far less likely to break strings with Graphtec saddles, so the cost of buying them will be eventually recouped by having to buy less strings, and you would be able to recoup the money spend on Graphtec saddles in less than a year, and eventually in the long run it will end up cheaper than not having them.
Are EMG selects are passive if I remember correctly. If you do plan on putting real EMG's in the Steinberger, don't bother with EMG passives, they really aren't all that good. But if you still want to get passives and not have to add a 9v battery to your guitar, defintely go for Seymour Duncans.
What kind of output level from the pickups do you want?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2008 at 06:17
I don't tend to break sting very often now that I've changed from 9s to 10s on my guitars except my baritone which has very thick strings which are needed to cope with the low tuning. So the graphtec saddles are probably a waste of money at the moment.

Yes the EMG Selects are passive, if I do replace the pickups I think I'm going to go with a versatile pickup set as I like my guitars to be able to handle lots of styles of playing from ambient to metal, I suspect I'll be adding coil taps for the humbuckers (it's an H-S-H guitar). As for the active/passive issue I am still undecided there, I suspect I'll just go for the cheaper option. One thing that will be important however will be keeping the look of the guitar intact so I'm definitely going to be wanting pickups which have the usual EMG style covers rather than the Gibson PAF style.

But on the main subject of the thread I've finally been able to make a start on my Strat, I've got the pickguard assembled and ready to solder and hopefully I should be able to buy the vertical drill stand/small pillar drill I need to drill holes for the bridge and neck fairly soon, I'm just waiting for a cheque to clear.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2008 at 05:39
Oh bugger!

I've managed to cut the nut slot correctly but sods law has ensured that the nut the neck was supplied with is a piece of rubbish and promptly snapped as soon as I tried to install it. I'm taking no chances with the replacement nut, I've gone for an official fender brass one as used on the Yngwie Malmsteen signature model, I doubt I'll be able to break that.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2008 at 06:20
^Snapped straight away, bugger. Brass nuts are cool, Graphtech nuts are even better, last longer and reduce string hitching in the nut to almost zero and cost about the same as a brass nut anyway.
Did you just cut the nut for now and that's it, or are you in full swing getting more done?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>