Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 16:14
Originally posted by James James wrote:

I've read that not all apps work in VMWare though when using XP under Vista.  A dual boot would be the best way of doing it.

Anyhow, I'm slowly going off the idea and I think I'll end up getting an XP machine.

Only problem is, the ones I am looking at only have 120 Gb drives, which I guess is big enough for my requirements, but I'd prefer a 250 Gb.   I will of course have an external drive (most likely 1 Tb -- if XP doesn't have issues with it, of course), but I don't want that plugged in all the time and of course, the main applications should be on the C:

I'm also sure they have Intel GMA cards in and as I said, I'd rather an nVidia or an ATI.

I don't think I have a full XP install anyhow.  I'm completely frustrated now.

I'm at a loss.

hmm...a drive with pretty much apps only, 120 GB should be enough, if all your data will live on the external.  you could always try to get the machine configured with the smallest drive they have and then buy another internal drive (>= 250 GB) from somewhere...they're not too expensive.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 16:03
I've read that not all apps work in VMWare though when using XP under Vista.  A dual boot would be the best way of doing it.

Anyhow, I'm slowly going off the idea and I think I'll end up getting an XP machine.

Only problem is, the ones I am looking at only have 120 Gb drives, which I guess is big enough for my requirements, but I'd prefer a 250 Gb.   I will of course have an external drive (most likely 1 Tb -- if XP doesn't have issues with it, of course), but I don't want that plugged in all the time and of course, the main applications should be on the C:

I'm also sure they have Intel GMA cards in and as I said, I'd rather an nVidia or an ATI.

I don't think I have a full XP install anyhow.  I'm completely frustrated now.

I'm at a loss.

Edited by James - April 23 2008 at 16:04
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 13:07
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

That's what I'm going to go for (Intel Core 2 Duo), Mike.  I've been convinced.

I've been reading about dual booting from a Vista pre-install and it's not straight forward at all!

I might actually be better off sticking with an XP installation and avoiding Vista for ages.  Dual booting is possible though, but it's fraught with issues, especially as early XP doesn't recognise SATA drives and my new laptop will likely have a SATA drive in it.   There's also the issue with XP only being able to recognise a 150 gb partition.

So I'm not sure what to do.

I also have a sneaky suspicion the XP disc I have access to is an update disc, rather than a full install, so I might not be able to dual boot.

One thing you could do ist to use Vista 64 and 4GB of RAM. Then you can install VMWare Server (it's free) and install your old copy of WinXP in a virtual machine. It's relatively straight forward to set up and use. You can also run most apps in Vista if you configure the compatibility mode correctly.

Cool - didn't know VMWare had a free product.  I used their workstation long ago (not free) and ran a Windows VM on a Linux host....I'll have to check out server to see if I can do similar now (beats dual boot).
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 10:57

I've been reading about dual booting from a Vista pre-install and it's not straight forward at all!

I might actually be better off sticking with an XP installation and avoiding Vista for ages.  Dual booting is possible though, but it's fraught with issues, especially as early XP doesn't recognise SATA drives and my new laptop will likely have a SATA drive in it.   There's also the issue with XP only being able to recognise a 150 gb partition.

I also have a sneaky suspicion the XP disc I have access to is an update disc, rather than a full install, so I might not be able to dual boot.

One thing you could do ist to use Vista 64 and 4GB of RAM. Then you can install VMWare Server (it's free) and install your old copy of WinXP in a virtual machine. It's relatively straight forward to set up and use. You can also run most apps in Vista if you configure the compatibility mode correctly.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - April 23 2008 at 11:00
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 07:19
Yes, but if I dual boot, when I'm installing XP, I won't have that fix to begin with, so it won't recognise the shrunken partition that Vista created... or so I've read.  I also don't think the install disc I have (it may only be an update disc) has any updates on it.  If it was an SP 2 install, it wouldn't be so bad.

More problems... the video card in the laptop I'm looking at, won't support XP and it's also Direct X 10, which also apparently isn't supported in XP updates.  There is a workaround, but I am not sure if the card will function as fully as it would in Vista.

Microsoft really know how to screw their customers.

I'm slowly regretting my decision... if only I could find a decent spec XP laptop new.

Edited by James - April 23 2008 at 07:43
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 07:04
^ the 150g partition issue with XP has been fixed - the Maxtor website has the patch.
What?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 06:55

Edited by James - April 23 2008 at 06:55
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 04:46

Because I prefer AMD.  All my machines, except my very old 386, have been AMD and they've never let me down, so I want to stick with them.

Besides, I've found a laptop that has an nVidea graphics card and an AMD chipset.

I would wait for the quadcore AMD for laptops, but that could be a while yet.

That doesn't make much sense to me. AMD on a laptop ... that's a bit experimental. Intel Core 2 Duo is the way to go IMO.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 03:36
Well I'm not a huge game player anyhow and the games I do have, or plan to have, should run fine anyhow.

Stangely, that laptop is in clearance, yet it seems the be one of the fastest HP laptops they sell... peculiar.
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 03:22
Well, unless you intend on spending more than you said,
 you're probably not going to find any great performing graphics card on a laptop.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 03:09
Well yes, I didn't say I was going to buy it from that particular company, that's just one of the sites I was looking at.

It's strange how the 8400M GS isn't on the benchmark testing though, is it newer than the GT model?  I'm guessing it is.

I'll Google it.

It was on the list, even though I did look... Google found it.  It's below a GT.

Edited by James - April 23 2008 at 03:13
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 03:06
So there you have it.LOL
Although I'd ask around a bit more, do a  little Google search, catch my drift?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 03:01
Originally posted by king of Siam king of Siam wrote:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Radeon-Xpress-X1250.6946.0.html
not so much of a graphics card.

What's your price range?

The one I linked, is ideal.

The card in that is a GeForce 8400M GS, which isn't on that benchmark test.  The GT version is though.

Edited by James - April 23 2008 at 03:04
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 02:59
Lol, I think since it's just me, Siam and James, we might as well take this back to the Velvet Room.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 02:59
Well, under £1000 (whatever that is in dollars) preferably.  I also plan to get a 1 tb external drive as well.
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 02:57
http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Radeon-Xpress-X1250.6946.0.html
not so much of a graphics card.

What's your price range?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 02:54
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 02:53
Here we go, this is more like it.  This is the one Siam was referring to and it has a GeForce card.

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4XW8&CategorySelectedId=11105&NavigationKey=11105,50220000,42880000,50240

Edited by James - April 23 2008 at 02:54
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 02:49
How about this one?

Seems to be a new model.  It's got an ATI Radeon in it, but I can live with that, I'm sure it's compatible with most of my software.

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4JNK&CategorySelectedId=11105&NavigationKey=11105,50220000,387320000,50240

It's a 6000 series again though... I don't think the 8000 series do an AMD machine, not than I can find anyhow.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 02:48
Originally posted by king of Siam king of Siam wrote:

Oh I know that, but I wanted an AMD/GeForce laptop and that's one of the few available.  The new Pavilion series doesn't have a replacement for it.
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=Entertainment+powerhouse&series_name=dv9700z_series
US version.

BTW, most people say that Intel is better than AMD for laptops.

Exactly, as I said earlier anyway. Intel has been making some good advances in Mobile CPU technology, AMD, well not so much lately as far I know.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>