Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Endless Wire View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Mythology of Magma
    Posted: August 17 2008 at 17:34
A very fun and insightful read.  Thanks for the info!

Does anyone have any idea where Merci, Inedits, or Retrospektiw III fit in with the story?  I don't remember seeing anything about them in your explanation, but maybe I just overlooked them.  Are you getting your info from the album notes?  If so, are they in English?  I only have the legal downloads, which obviously have no packaging.  If only I could speak Kobaian...
Kimoi View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2008 at 08:42
A nice read Shakespeare, natch

mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2008 at 12:13
I've been wanting to get that Elull Noomi CD for quite some time now, good stuff, 
Grimfurg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2008 at 10:38
This is the band Antoine Paganotti's in now, they added me a few weeks ago, haven't listened to them much though.
http://www.myspace.com/elullnoomi 
I don't think it's really Zeuhl, but check it out! :)

Ok, now onto part 3. This part is the most bad ass of all, the first 9 minutes is actually Om Zanka (heard on "Inedits" and the BBC 74 live version of Kohntarkosz. When I think of this part, I think of K walking through the desert, hearing the calls from the tomb. The vocals encourage our friend K to walk through the desert without turning back. At the ninth minute, Om Zanka stops, and here is a part where I'm not really sure of. Kohntarkosz arrives in an unknown Egyptian village next to the tomb (maybe they're Kobaian), there are a lot of vocals here, and the word "Bradiaah" which means "To Talk". K is fascinated by this sight, he talks with the people of village, telling them why he is here and what he's looking for. Now on to the part from a song called Gamma Anteria (heard in "Inedits" as well). The villagers doubt that he is the chosen one, (at the tenth minute, it's as if there was a conflict between Paganotti's vocals and the choirs). A woman walks towards K and tells him that he shall not pass if he doesn't prove that he is the chosen one. The change of riff at the twelfth minute shows K, talking with Ementhet-Ré's voice, the people of the village are starstruck, they want to hear his voice again (as they answer). When Vander sings, it seems that he is possessing K's spirit. The village starts to believe that he is really the chosen one. Allëhlüïa! Allëhlüïa! The people bring K towards the tomb, the atmosphere starts to dim a bit, but he enters the tomb, not knowing what he's awaiting. When K enters a completly dark area (he opens his flash light) and hears "Hoï Hamtaï Sïm Rïm Hamtaï". Which means "Sois Le Bienvenue" in french, wich could roughly be translated by, "Welcome...".

I could make this up with the help of this guy: http://tubulamarok.free.fr/magma/magma-trilogie-kohntarkosz-1.htm
Enjoy

Edited by Grimfurg - May 04 2008 at 10:49

Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 16:08
The Paganotti twins left the band recently, and there's been speculation whether that will put back the release date at all. But I personally really doubt it. I have faith it'll be released this year. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 13:03
speaking of Ëmëhntëht-Rê...does anyone have any new information about the recording of this album?  I heard it's supposed to come out in 08, I check 7th Records and their myspace every so often in hopes for some kind of update but haven't seen anything new in a while, god I hope this comes to fruitation...Magma having a double set of trilogies under their belt would solidify their status of greatest band ever! 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 10:41
Originally posted by Grimfurg Grimfurg wrote:

That was really great, most of this is probably very true. But there's just one thing that's not really right though and that I would like to maybe point out, if I may.
It's K.A., actually K.A. is not a sequel of Kohntarkosz, but a prequel. It is the story of K's tormented childhood.

d'oh!

Quote It seems that in the first song, when you actually check out the lyrics, K (I'm just gonna go ahead and write K) is seemingly "chosen" at a young age, at the time his name is pronounced. Although he doesn't seem to fully awaken, and he needs to be awaken from this slumber (he's not fully aware of anything). There are words like Sündë and Sündi, which mean "to rest in peace" and Steuh Leuhp, Steuh means "towards". Would it mean that K must go towards something that rests in peace? That's probably what these calls are. K then starts to think about what's happening to him, (there is a calm part that portrays that part) and "Wi Wi ! Do Weh Ro Weh Ro ! Wi Wi ! Doï Doï Himtï !", that's probably where he found out that he was the chosen one.

On to the second song, K hears the Hamtai, (the Salute), everything starts to get very clear, and the musical motif of Kohntarkosz (the album) is sung. After Mcgaw's great guitar solo, there seems to be a very optimistic ambiance to the music, like as if K knew what he was doing. Here, K is pretty much illuminated by all these revelations he hears. Now this is where it gets interesting: "
Magma Iss Tendiwa" (The soul is Magma!), The soul/spirit is under earth. And what's under earth? Ementhet-Ré. When it starts to get serious, K stops dreaming, and it is time to head on to his journey.

I have to go now, but I will carry on with part three of the song later.

Köhntarkösz must go towards something that rests in peace? Sounds like the tomb of Ëmëhntëht-Rê to me!

Thanks for the input! This gives me some new insight, and explains a lot of things I didn't understand. Clap
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 09:45
excellent article, if I may.....
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 03:23
wow, that was in incredible read!  Im a huge Magma fan, but I never tried to figure out the mythology in that amount of detail, thanks a ton for taking the time and giving us a well thought out interpretationThumbs%20Up
Grimfurg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2008 at 06:30
That was really great, most of this is probably very true. But there's just one thing that's not really right though and that I would like to maybe point out, if I may.
It's K.A., actually K.A. is not a sequel of Kohntarkosz, but a prequel. It is the story of K's tormented childhood.

It seems that in the first song, when you actually check out the lyrics, K (I'm just gonna go ahead and write K) is seemingly "chosen" at a young age, at the time his name is pronounced. Although he doesn't seem to fully awaken, and he needs to be awaken from this slumber (he's not fully aware of anything). There are words like Sündë and Sündi, which mean "to rest in peace" and Steuh Leuhp, Steuh means "towards". Would it mean that K must go towards something that rests in peace? That's probably what these calls are. K then starts to think about what's happening to him, (there is a calm part that portrays that part) and "Wi Wi ! Do Weh Ro Weh Ro ! Wi Wi ! Doï Doï Himtï !", that's probably where he found out that he was the chosen one.

On to the second song, K hears the Hamtai, (the Salute), everything starts to get very clear, and the musical motif of Kohntarkosz (the album) is sung. After Mcgaw's great guitar solo, there seems to be a very optimistic ambiance to the music, like as if K knew what he was doing. Here, K is pretty much illuminated by all these revelations he hears. Now this is where it gets interesting: "
Magma Iss Tendiwa" (The soul is Magma!), The soul/spirit is under earth. And what's under earth? Ementhet-Ré. When it starts to get serious, K stops dreaming, and it is time to head on to his journey.

I have to go now, but I will carry on with part three of the song later.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 16:20
Originally posted by Black Velvet Black Velvet wrote:

Best read I've had on this site for a long time!

That's an incredible compliment, considering all the top-notch reviews there are here. Thanks. Big%20smile
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2008 at 19:34
Best read I've had on this site for a long time! I have never looked too deeply into the mythology side of Magma's lyrics (despite them being one of my favourite bands), so it was interesting to gain a better view on the storyline; I had a rough idea but nothing so in depth. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2008 at 08:26
Thanks guys.Smile
oracus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2008 at 01:49
Wow! Great work Shakespeare! Interesting reading!

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 09:58
Clap
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 09:54
Very interesting post and I think you did an extremely good job at deciphering everything in those Magma albums. Unfortunately, I'm not a Magma expert and I too want to really learn Kobaian, but since I've only been really into Magma for about half a year, I don't know as much as you do about it yet. Hopefully someone else can possibly clear up anything that you may have missed in there, but otherwise I think it was a really awesome read if your interpretations do in fact hold a candle to what Vander intended. On the note of Kobaian, I've only found one list of words in Kobaian and what they mean in English, but does anyone know where there might actually be a way to learn the language (or a translation of their actual lyrics)? 

EDIT: (This is the site I'm talking about: http://myfile.hanafos.com/~jangminsu/magma/MAGMA-KOBAIAN-dictionary.html)

Edited by MovingPictures07 - February 23 2008 at 09:55
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 00:40

All day long!
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 00:32
ICE BURN!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 22:30

I didn't know you were a Nirvana fan, Ian. Wink
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 20:29
Wow Shakes, I must admit, I'm very impressed.

I only have MDK, and 1001 Centigrades, and the music dosent reflect the subject matter at all... Making me wish I knew Kobaian.

Edited by schizoid_man77 - February 23 2008 at 00:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>