Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGene Simmons insults Radiohead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 17:58
I sort of appreciate it when a band does nothing for a crowd on purpose. KC are the ultimate example with Fripp confiscating camcorders and stuff. I think KC's next live album should be called "STFU if You Don't Like It"
puma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 18:06
That's not an insult at all, he's obviously joking.
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 18:14
Originally posted by listen listen wrote:

Different types of music call for different kinds of atmosphere. Do classical orchestras call for explosions and visuals?

The problem with this statement is that the second sentence is rendered invalid by the first. No, orchestras don't have laser light shows, but classical isn't rock. I hate to get all Lester Bangs on prog rock (his ultimate nemesis), but rock is supposed to be exciting. Even the soft prog I listen to stimulates me in some way.

Quote I think it's presumptuous and naive to say that all music shows should be expressive in the same way, and it ignores that there is a whole range of human expression that can come through music, not all of which involve "blow[ing] sh*t up".

But the only human expression that will come through a static rock show is arrogance and superiority. As for your claim about visuals, the three greatest live performers of all time are James Brown, Bruce Springsteen, and The Who. None have fancy visuals and only The Who ever blew stuff up, and that was never in a theatrical way. What they DID do was play with passion and raw energy that they could ride the vibe of a crowd and manipulate it, make it rise and fall with each vocal undulation or each frantic dance move. When a band just walks on stage and plays their studio material by rote (KC might not jump around, but by God they improv like jazzmen, who I identify them with anyway), I don't get worked up for that band. I also hate the school of thought first founded by Zeppelin (a band that I've never understood the live praise for since even their killer live albums show a mass level of disconnect. Yes the playing is great, beyond great, but they have so much macho superiority that video of them leaves me cold) that the band should act like the crowd isn't even there. For the amount of money it costs, you damn well better acknowledge them.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 18:21

Except for rare ocassions, live shows are poor versions of music already contained in discs.... In a way, the reality-show-star is right. Except for my favorite bands, I don't see much point in going to see a live performance where the sounds is weak and ear-harming, the performances are either too fast or too slow, the band makes mistakes and there's a lot of other idiots that don't let me hear sh*t. So in a way it's correct if a band does something else on the stage other than stand around. Is not that Yorke is such a beautiful sight to behold anyway. And it's not that we're talking about more profound music that can survive a completely serious performance.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 18:31
amen brother T...  you go to a live show ..... to a KISS show to....party.. to see  50 yr old biker chicks  lose their shirts... for the whole experience of the spectacle of rock music....not  a field trip for frickin philosophy class hahhaha.

Long live Gene.. and Kiss... what music needs to everything in perspective LOL

Edited by micky - June 13 2008 at 18:31
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 18:33
Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

I also hate the school of thought first founded by Zeppelin (a band that I've never understood the live praise for since even their killer live albums show a mass level of disconnect. Yes the playing is great, beyond great, but they have so much macho superiority that video of them leaves me cold) that the band should act like the crowd isn't even there. For the amount of money it costs, you damn well better acknowledge them.

You've seen the 2-disc Led Zep video? And you can't tell the difference between those early shows they did at the Royal Albert Hall and the later ones at Madison Square Garden and all? Seems to me they developed quite a stage show! Jimmy Page's act, in particular, changed radically over the years. From a rather shy super-musician he changed into a Performer, whose every move was timed. Apart from that, they truly communicated via the music they played.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 18:33
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

amen brother T... you go to a live show ..... to a KISS show to....party.. to see 50 yr old biker chicks lose their shirts... for the whole experience of the spectacle of rock music....not a field trip for frickin philosophy class hahhaha. Long live Gene.. and Kiss... what music needs to everything in perspective LOL

ahh, so it's just cause Radiohead doesn't have nude chicks there in their live shows. Now I get it.

Then Gene is RIGHT! If no nude chicks in concert then the concert is bad!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 18:50
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

amen brother T... you go to a live show ..... to a KISS show to....party.. to see 50 yr old biker chicks lose their shirts... for the whole experience of the spectacle of rock music....not a field trip for frickin philosophy class hahhaha. Long live Gene.. and Kiss... what music needs to everything in perspective LOL

ahh, so it's just cause Radiohead doesn't have nude chicks there in their live shows. Now I get it.

ahhhh...  thus we come to 'MIcky's 5  laws of the truly great live concert experience'...

1. Breasts... and lots of them
2. Vomit ...  deduct points if it is not your own..  even more if it ends up on you...
3. Pain...  music so loud your ears hurt
4. Blood..  deduct points if it is your own... deduct even more if you have to be carried out on a stretcher.
5. Traffic..  deduct points if you are home in less than an hour... add points if it takes more than 3 hours..

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 18:57

ahhhh... thus we come to 'MIcky's 5 laws of the truly great live concert experience'...1. Breasts... and lots of them2. Vomit ... deduct points if it is not your own.. even more if it ends up on you...3. Pain... music so loud your ears hurt4. Blood.. deduct points if it is your own... deduct even more if you have to be carried out on a stretcher.5. Traffic.. deduct points if you are home in less than an hour... add points if it takes more than 3 hours..

hahahahaha. EXCELLENT rules, someday when I grow up I'll aply them to all my concerts. Some clappies to Micky's 5 Law!
Though some concerts would be rare to aply them, imagine if I would aply those rules on my Al Di Meola, Jean Luc Ponty and Stanley Clarke(acoustic) concert! That would be -100, I think, what do you think?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 19:02

hahahahaha. EXCELLENT rules, someday when I grow up I'll aply them to all my concerts. Some clappies to Micky's 5 Law!

hahhaha.. exactly.... but not till you are 18 my son... otherwise I'd have to paddle your ass LOL

explodingjosh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 19:03
Well I think the next step is obvious for Radiohead: make spacesuits.
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 19:03

ahhhh...  thus we come to 'MIcky's 5  laws of the truly great live concert experience'...

2. Vomit ...  deduct points if it is not your own..  even more if it ends up on you...
4. Blood..  deduct points if it is your own... deduct even more if you have to be carried out on a stretcher.
5. Traffic..  deduct points if you are home in less than an hour... add points if it takes more than 3 hours..

That is amazing Micky Clap
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 19:47

Let me see....ehhh... except for Black metal, where we can find all but # 1, I don't know of any genre which would comply with this very coherent set of rules....

Mmmm...

You're basically saying that to enjoy a concert you have to go incredibly drunk... because if you're drunk: a)you're going to vomit on yourself; b) Not only music, everything will be painful.. the morning after; c) There's a good chance youl'll see some of the red vital liquid, especially if you start to try to get #1 with someone who already has someone who is also drunk; d) Driving while drunk adds a lot of traffic to the road, even if it's empty. And of course, e) if you're enough drunk you'll start seeing breasts even in manly chests....

In the end, going to concerts is only an excuse to drink and get wasted. Therefore, once again, the reality-show-star is proven right. Let's all enjoy our cd's at home and let Thom Yorke decide if he wants to bare...  
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 19:57
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Let me see....ehhh... except for Black metal, where we can find all but # 1, I don't know of any genre which would comply with this very coherent set of rules....

hahahhahah...  oh yes Teo... there are several.. but none that I expect many here at all have probably been to LOL
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 20:32
How is that out of line at all? I think you're being far too sensitive about this. It's hardly even an insult if taken seriously, and I don't think he was being completely serious.

Now Mike Patton insulting Wolfmother..OH MAN!
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Valdez View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 21:34
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

It's just Gene being Gene.

agreed... have a beer and dont take Gene Simmons too seriously.  Radiohead is a different animal altogether.
https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/album/sleepers-2024

Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 21:47
Kiss showman ship is very good if only Ace didn't play so many bum notes ...   bum notes are not what I call good for the show.   Gene needs to refrain from saying this stuff about other bands that is no way to get publicity.  
reality View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 23:03
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

What's the insult, really?He thinks that visuals are an important element in a live show. I, to an extent, agree. He also thinks that Radiohead's live shows are lacking the visual part. Big deal. He admits he admires their music/other competence, but thinks they should take themselves a little less seriously in shows.Frankly, his comment is fine by me, and basically uninsulting. He's not 'slamming' Radiohead at all, he's criticising their live visual performance, and he's not doing it specifically to Radiohead, just generally for bands he feels lack the needed live visual elements.

I agree.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 23:16
Let's look at the facts, which are #1, that he is a has been, and therefore #2, he needs to stir up some interest in his 'name recognition'.  So why not trash a reasonably popular contemporary band.  It will get the odd headline or two.

Too bad he feels that Radiohead needs some visual elements.  Kiss was invariably in need of some musical elements.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 23:22
 ^ LOL true..  though I'll say if Kiss had never written a good pop tune ('Calling Dr Love' anyone? Tongue) they would not have been as successful, fire-breathing and costumes and all

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>