Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSo punk killed the prog did it ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Poll Question: in your part of the world was punk ever popular ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [22.73%]
41 [62.12%]
10 [15.15%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 19:37
You could be wrong, you could be right, you could be black. you could be white...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 19:53
We're in a progressive rock website in the end. Why don't we take this poll to the "general music discussions"? After all, most people here are just talking about how alive punk is and how dead prog is...Confused...

EDIT: I just read that article in that "respected" punk website that Ivan mentioned... very interesting... Is ironic how every fan of any other genre has a right to be completely close-minded and even insulting of other genres (especially prog), but when it comes to prog fans, at the minor display of intolerance to punk, hip hop (name your genre here) everybody runs in defense of those genres...

Guess that's why we like prog. It's open minded BY NATURE.

Edited by The T - July 20 2008 at 19:57
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 20:27
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

They can claim whatever they want, but they don't follow the ethincs and style of the opioneers and in this case I go back to the 60's Garage bands and MOD movement who are the prececessors of Punk.

you're proving my point for me, from my perspective you keep making the assertion Punk is limited to specific sound and style, which I have shown by the bands listed it isn't, 

They can claim whatever they want, but IMO they have turned into a cliché.

Neurosis and Fugazi have always claimed to just be a Punk band, I tend to take their word for it more so than some dude on a message board

Just take a listen, how many bands sound exactly to the Prog pioneers, and youi'll find hundreds...Then ask yourself how many Punk bands sound exactly like the pioneers...Very few.

once again this statement shows you know very little about what you are saying...I understand its not your "scene", but....please Ermm

and while there have been more than enough bands to copy the Ramones and the basic Punk Rock sound even to this day, there are so many more that have done something different

BTW: You omited the comments of Punk77.

probably cause I don't consider his opinions, he's another one of those that only considers Punk when it has commercial viability (In the beginning there was the Sex Pistols!...and nothing for a long time...unitl Nirvana!) I've read that site a long time ago, he's basically the equivalent of an old time Prog Head who thinks there hasn't been any Real Prog since 1974, for those types of fogies I say-get bent!

VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 21:06
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

another thing we forget is that  Punk, at least the early British incarnation and American 'proto punk', is almost as old as Prog - it nearly paralleled it, developing right around the time of Prog's musical peak in the early 70s (if not earlier) - so in hindsight it was really just another new, innovative voice in rock that came, succeeded, and went, and wasn't too much different in spirit from the rock 'n roll of bands as the Kinks and even Hamburg-era Beatles.

Well said. Clap

There's a certain album recorded in 1967 by a band named Van der Graaf Generator.  It's prog but listen to Hammill's vocal style... it's got punk-leanings, even back then.

Then you have the likes of Iggy Pop and the Stooges and later on, The MC5.

Then comes the proper punk of late 1970s, which only lasted about 2 years... then came post-punk.  Many post-punk bands are almost prog (some are here in the database!).

Frith and Cutler, old Henry Cowsters, embraced the punk scene.  Frith was in Massacre.  Not post-punk per sé but they certainly didn't have over zealous guitar chops.  They made short tunes.  Two other bands that also embraced Punk and New Wave were Camberwell Now and This Heat (and  with Charles Hayward on drums).  Charles Hayward was linked directly to the Canterbury Scene and where is he now?  He's playing with the avant-prog band Clear Frame (with Hugh Hopper and Lol Coxhill).  Frith also joined Pere Ubu for a short time as well.

Then there was PiL with John Lydon on vocals, they certainly weren't straight-up punk. Wink

As someone else also said, you had The Teardrop Explodes as well.  Entering the realms of New Wave, you had, in 1977/78, bands such as Television (big pre-cursors to post-punk and new wave) and Joy Division.  Both I believe had prog influences (mostly Kraut Rock, I think).  Also, The Velvet Underground (arguably proggy) were more than just a punk band (they weren't a punk band) but influenced much of the post-punk.  One must not forget the bands on Ralph Records either, such as The Residents and Tuxedomoon (this latter band blend new wave, punk and prog together successfully).

So punk didn't kill prog, it just put it on hiatus, until the early 1980s, when post-punk started to blend prog with elements of punk and new wave styles.

To go full circle, Peter Hammill and Robert Fripp have guested live with The Stranglers (who got lumped into the punk scene and were much more than that in reality).  Fripp also played with David Bowie on Low and Berlin, whilst Adrian Belew played with Bowie and Talking Heads (who are also rather Punk in their sound at times).

Edited by James - July 20 2008 at 22:58
Treasure View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 21:13
lol punk killing prog

Does anyone here own Robert Fripp's solo album, Exposure?

Listen to that and tell me prog and punk hate each other.

Edited by Treasure - July 20 2008 at 21:28
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 22:18
Please, when you want somebody to reply to your post, QUOTE HIM COMPLETELY AS I'M DOING WITH YOUR POSTS, that's the decent thing to do when you don't want to take phrases out of context, repeat the same quote twice and put words on othe people's mouth

Originally posted by mithrandir mithrandir wrote:

They can claim whatever they want, but they don't follow the ethincs and style of the opioneers and in this case I go back to the 60's Garage bands and MOD movement who are the prececessors of Punk.

you're proving my point for me, from my perspective you keep making the assertion Punk is limited to specific sound and style, which I have shown by the bands listed it isn't, 

Then they are not PUNK, if they resign to the etreme simplicity, the two chords, the anarchism, the hatred for musicians who worry about technical proficiency and virtuosism...THEY DON'T HAVE ANYTHING IN COMMON WITH PUNK OR WHAT IT WAS, ergo CEASED TO BE PUNK.

They can claim whatever they want, but IMO they have turned into a cliché.

Neurosis and Fugazi have always claimed to just be a Punk band, I tend to take their word for it more so than some dude on a message board

If you are talking about me, is your problem not to believe me.

If you ignore my posts and all the posts from the "DUDES" here, you'd better ignore us and don't waste your time and ours discussing with people you don't care about.

But don't worry, at least 4 out of every Neo Prog bands claim not to be Neo Prog, and we don't take words normally, we care for what we listen. Words mean NOTHNG, the music speaks.

Just take a listen, how many bands sound exactly to the Prog pioneers, and youi'll find hundreds...Then ask yourself how many Punk bands sound exactly like the pioneers...Very few.

once again this statement shows you know very little about what you are saying...I understand its not your "scene", but....please Ermm

and while there have been more than enough bands to copy the Ramones and the basic Punk Rock sound even to this day, there are so many more that have done something different

Who are them, what are they doing, what is their level of proffessionalism, how important are they at the musical scenario, how many albums have they released?

Or are we talking about a handful  of real bands and lots of Pub groups that llive re-creating what ohers did or making ,music they claim is Punk but has no connection with Punk?

BTW: You omited the comments of Punk77.

probably cause I don't consider his opinions, he's another one of those that only considers Punk when it has commercial viability (In the beginning there was the Sex Pistols!...and nothing for a long time...unitl Nirvana!) I've read that site a long time ago, he's basically the equivalent of an old time Prog Head who thinks there hasn't been any Real Prog since 1974, for those types of fogies I say-get bent!

So you ignore my words because I'm only a dude in a message board and you ignore the words off the RECOGNIZED experts in Punk.........Now tell me..Why should we believe you?

BTW: I haven't read any respectable Prog site that says Prog is dead since 1974, most of the sites promote new bands or at least mention them.

Probably you won't care (because it's obvious you only believe yourself) but wont respond any post tha doesn't quote complete ideas and doesn't change the concept of what is being said.

Iván

EDIT: Isn't Fugazi a Hardcore Raeggae-Funk band and Neurosis a Doom Metal Band which blend Indie and Folk with Ambient? How punk is that?

You can throw as many names as you want, but it's hard to say how much Punk is in them asin this cases, claim what they claim.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - July 20 2008 at 22:52

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 22:55

Then they are not PUNK, if they resign to the etreme simplicity, the two chords, the anarchism, the hatred for musicians who worry about technical proficiency and virtuosism...THEY DON'T HAVE ANYTHING IN COMMON WITH PUNK OR WHAT IT WAS, ergo CEASED TO BE PUNK.

we seem to have 2 different conceptions of reality here, when you think Punk: you assume a disaffected youth banging out simple 2 chord tunes, when I think "Punk" I think so much more in sound/style/diverse song structure, (refer to the list) and ideas all produced with DIY/Underground ethic/ideals

I never quote message boards, I quote the bigges at and most respected Punk site, now if you are talking about me, is your problem not to believe me.

If you ignore my posts and all the posts from the "DUDES" here, you'd better ignore us and don't waste your time and ours discussing with people you don't care about.

why should I respect that dudes words when he obvious has small view on Punk, he may know and have lived the scene in the late 70s UK, (which has always gotten the most press attention in the mainstream) but he seems to know very little else aside from a few biased opinions bases on his short stint in the scene

Who are them, what are they doing, what is their level of proffessionalism, how important are they at the musical scenario, how many albums have they released?

Or are we talking about a handful  of real bands and lots of Pub groups that llive re-creating what ohers did or making ,music they claim is Punk but has no connection with Punk?

once again you have no clue as to what you are talking about, Punk/Hardcore isn't your "thing"  I get it, so why don't you take some time and DL some albums from some of the most respected indie labels of the past few years to get some perspective - Dischord, Alternative Tentacles, Touch n Go, Subpop, etc

So you ignore my words because I'm only a dude in a message board and you ignore the words off the RECOGNIZED experts in Punk.........Now tell me..Why should we believe you?

BTW: I haven't read any respectable Prog site that says Prog is dead since 1974, most of the sites promote new bands or at least mention them.

Probably you won't care (because it's obvious you only believe yourself) but wont respond any post tha doesn't quote complete ideas and doesn't change the concept of what is being said.

Iván

hmm, I believe in the words of many "recognized" icons in the Punk scene, I just named 2 above Fugazi and Neurosis, I've also been around the block a few times and have pretty much had fanboy ear submerged in Punk for over 3 decades now,  but you don't have to believe me... I exist only as "text" on a message board, take what I say to heart or discard is as words of lunatic...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 23:06
Originally posted by russellk russellk wrote:

One of the really interesting things about this issue is how the rise, fall and evolution of punk parallels that of prog. From three-chord garage bands in the early 60's, through Iggy Pop, MC5 and The Who (as much, if not more, proto-punk as proto-prog), there's as much history to punk rock as there is to progressive rock. The term was used by music critics as early as 1970, a full six years before the apogee of the genre (again similar to prog). The genre enjoyed a relatively short golden era, just as prog did - though shorter.

Pretty soon its critics claimed it died (just as critics claim prog died), but in reality it became another genre of rock, no longer in the limelight but still very much alive. Hardcore and New Wave evolved from 'classic' punk, the latter tying melodic and mainstream sensibilities to the genre a la neo-prog, and post-punk (my particular favourite) emerged in the early 1980s. Today punk is very much alive through bands as diverse as Green Day (pop-punk), Yellowcard, Good Charlotte - bands many fans from the 'classic' mid-70s period might not call punk, but they are as true to the pioneering late 60s and early 70s sound as the Sex Pistols ever were. The punk community even has arguments like ours - Green Day and even The Ramones supposedly became commercial, 'selling out' for the money (god forbid we ever think the Sex Pistols did anything for money!), in just the same way and with as much passion as many proggers think Genesis sold out in the late 70s.

Punk Rock is a vibrant genre that keeps itself alive through the dedication of its fans (including websites similar to this one), and the continual willingness of musicians everywhere to take a sound they love and experiment with it. Punk isn't dead and neither is prog. One didn't kill the other, despite a few paranoid media claims to the contrary. In fact, such musical evolution keeps people in love with popular music (I mean the wider term, not just 'pop'). Without punk and other developments, the world would have lost interest in rock and moved on to something else. Rather than killing prog, punk and the like kept rock alive.

if anything this makes complete sense to me, Punk and Prog aren't dead, nor should they be seen as "enemies", they continue on to this day and so much has come since the inception of both Prog and Punk...the only way any of these 2 musics will ever be completely dead is when there isn't a single fan left alive to enjoy the sounds of either Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 23:23

we seem to have 2 different conceptions of reality here, when you think Punk: you assume a disaffected youth banging out simple 2 chord tunes, when I think "Punk" I think so much more in sound/style/diverse song structure, (refer to the list) and ideas all produced with DIY/Underground ethic/ideals

Not totally disaffected, but a genre must have some relatio wit their essence, and most of this bands don't have it, they are playing different things with almostt no relation

why should I respect that dudes words when he obvious has small view on Punk, he may know and have lived the scene in the late 70s UK, (which has always gotten the most press attention in the mainstream) but he seems to know very little else aside from a few biased opinions bases on his short stint in the scene

Youy maybe noit (neither I to be honest, they loose great amounts of bandwith attacking Prog, Glam, Rock, etc (not debating in a forum but in their main site), but they are the most respected site in Punk community.

once again you have no clue as to what you are talking about, Punk/Hardcore isn't your "thing"  I get it, so why don't you take some time and DL some albums from some of the most respected indie labels of the past few years to get some perspective - Dischord, Alternative Tentacles, Touch n Go, Subpop, etc
LOL, just been looking at those sites and they say anything to sell, but we are talking about bands, not about labels using any arguiment to srell.

hmm, I believe in the words of many "recognized" icons in the Punk scene, I just named 2 above Fugazi and Neurosis, I've also been around the block a few times and have pretty much had fanboy ear submerged in Punk for over 3 decades now,  but you don't have to believe me... I exist only as "text" on a message board, take what I say to heart or discard is as words of lunatic..

Lets see your icons of the of the Punk Scene:

1.- Fugazi: As I said before, Fugazi is recognized as a RAEGGAE - FUNK - HARDCORE band, and his lead singer Ian Mackay, accepts this (at least the Raeggae part):

, “This is great, I’ll play with her for awhile.” I don’t think of it so much as getting older, but rather I think it was an evolution, so I guess to some degree it has a linear aspect, and ultimately this is what I'm doing. It’s interesting because a lot of people are like, “Well this is so different from Fugazi,” but when I first started playing with Fugazi people were flipping because it didn’t sound like Minor Threat. I had such weird… people were like, “What is this music? Is it reggae? What are you trying to do?” and I was like, “I’m just playing music, its just music.” So the music I’m playing now, that’s just what Amy and I are doing, that’s what's coming out of us. I always try to approach things really organically and be really straight up and honest about stuff.

Punk or Raeggae?

2.- Neurosis:
Quote Neurosis is an experimental metal band, based out of Oakland, California. Their unique sound draws from influences ranging from hardcore punk and doom metal to dark ambient, industrial, and tribal music as well as incorporating elements of indie and folk music. The band is highly regarded as the primary pioneer of its genre,sometimes referred to as post-metal. Critic Brian Russ has described them as "atmospheric hardcore".

Holy God, they only missed Salsa and Bossa Nova

But if you don't want to believe Wikipedia, just check the BNR Metal page where Neurosis is described as an ATMOSPHERIC HARDCORE ( http://www.bnrmetal.com/v2/bandpage.php?ID=Neur )

And this Atmospheric Hardcore is described as: The term "atmospheric hardcore" isn't a widely accepted term, but it is an accurate one (coined by some reviewer, somewhere), describing a new-ish genre of extreme music that fuses mostly hardcore-ish vocals with drawn-out songs featuring harder parts as well as sparse, ambient/atmospheric quieter moments. For some time this was more or less the domain of a single band, that being Neurosis, while in recent years bands such as Isis, Cult Of Luna, and others have come along, making this is a small but select genre.  http://www.bnrmetal.com/v2/genre.php?ID=A

If you believe this is the future of Punk.....I doubt it would survive, because there's almost nothing left.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - July 20 2008 at 23:29

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2008 at 23:25
Just trying here to walk(crawl) under the rocks being cast...Tongue..... Neurosis...PUNK??????????????????????????????????????????

please clarify if it's another Neurosis than the one listed in nthis website and that Ivan mentioned in his post... they have a very, VVVVery weak link with hardcore punk (in their beginnings) but, as of late, they're a very dark and slow and gloomy doom band... to paraphrase somebody, they have left punk behind now that they learned how to play... Wink...Tongue.....

I know many metal bands evolved from punk, and that grunge in a way also drunk from punk's fountains.... but all those genres are so far away from the original thing....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 00:45

Not totally disaffected, but a genre must have some relatio wit their essence, and most of this bands don't have it, they are playing different things with almostt no relation

"different things", but the roots are the same and the connectiveness is still there, lot Metal bands nowadays are playing "different things" then Sabbath and Budgie but still all considered Metal, correct? 

Youy maybe noit (neither I to be honest, they loose great amounts of bandwith attacking Prog, Glam, Rock, etc (not debating in a forum but in their main site), but they are the most respected site in Punk community.

I don't know anyone who would actually go to this site for into accept many some 17 y/o noobz who play dress-up with spiky hair and Exploited shirts while their Mom drops them off at the mall in her SUV

LOL, just been looking at those sites and they say anything to sell, but we are talking about bands, not about labels using any arguiment to srell.

that answer alone goes to show what little historical perspective you have those labels and their contribution to the worlds of Punk, Hardcore, Indie/Alternative and Experimental music,

Lets see your icons of the of the Punk Scene:

1.- Fugazi: As I said before, Fugazi is recognized as a RAEGGAE - FUNK - HARDCORE band, and his lead singer Ian Mackay, accepts this (at least the Raeggae part):

, “This is great, I’ll play with her for awhile.” I don’t think of it so much as getting older, but rather I think it was an evolution, so I guess to some degree it has a linear aspect, and ultimately this is what I'm doing. It’s interesting because a lot of people are like, “Well this is so different from Fugazi,” but when I first started playing with Fugazi people were flipping because it didn’t sound like Minor Threat. I had such weird… people were like, “What is this music? Is it reggae? What are you trying to do?” and I was like, “I’m just playing music, its just music.” So the music I’m playing now, that’s just what Amy and I are doing, that’s what's coming out of us. I always try to approach things really organically and be really straight up and honest about stuff.

Punk or Raeggae?

to be technical, Post-Hardcore is most appropriate, but Ian Mackaye is humbling personality, he never liked to get too convoluted when tagging his music, "Punk" usually worked just fine with ol' Ian, right?...cause I know you've been a fan of Fugazi ever since they started Wink kept up with all their interviews throughout the years, so how many times you seen their movie/doc Instrument?

nice finding an oddball interview to attempt make a point. It didn't work though, a lot of Punk bands like Gang of Four, PiL, the Slits and Richard Hell, incorporated funk, reggae and dub as well...but going outside the box completely negates them from being Punk anymore according to you,

2.- Neurosis:
Quote Neurosis is an experimental metal band, based out of Oakland, California. Their unique sound draws from influences ranging from hardcore punk and doom metal to dark ambient, industrial, and tribal music as well as incorporating elements of indie and folk music. The band is highly regarded as the primary pioneer of its genre,sometimes referred to as post-metal. Critic Brian Russ has described them as "atmospheric hardcore".

Holy God, they only missed Salsa and Bossa Nova

But if you don't want to believe Wikipedia, just check the BNR Metal page where Neurosis is described as an ATMOSPHERIC HARDCORE ( http://www.bnrmetal.com/v2/bandpage.php?ID=Neur )

And this Atmospheric Hardcore is described as: The term "atmospheric hardcore" isn't a widely accepted term, but it is an accurate one (coined by some reviewer, somewhere), describing a new-ish genre of extreme music that fuses mostly hardcore-ish vocals with drawn-out songs featuring harder parts as well as sparse, ambient/atmospheric quieter moments. For some time this was more or less the domain of a single band, that being Neurosis, while in recent years bands such as Isis, Cult Of Luna, and others have come along, making this is a small but select genre.  http://www.bnrmetal.com/v2/genre.php?ID=A

If you believe this is the future of Punk.....I doubt it would survive, because there's almost nothing left.

Iván

so? they started out as a Punk band and musically they have advanced light years from their beginnings, but vision and message remains the same (which is still very much Punk in my eyes), not sure what Steve Von Till is saying nowadays but around the time of "Times of Grace" I remember him claiming to still be just a Punk band,

Edited by mithrandir - July 21 2008 at 01:11
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 00:58
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Just trying here to walk(crawl) under the rocks being cast...Tongue..... Neurosis...PUNK??????????????????????????????????????????

please clarify if it's another Neurosis than the one listed in nthis website and that Ivan mentioned in his post... they have a very, VVVVery weak link with hardcore punk (in their beginnings) but, as of late, they're a very dark and slow and gloomy doom band... to paraphrase somebody, they have left punk behind now that they learned how to play... Wink...Tongue.....

I know many metal bands evolved from punk, and that grunge in a way also drunk from punk's fountains.... but all those genres are so far away from the original thing....

they were definitely Hardcore Punk in their beginnings, one of the most active bands in the SoCal Hardcore scene during the late 80s, when you see a band progress throughout the years the changes don't seem that drastic each album was just the next logical step--a progression of their original Punk sound, ...yeah I guess its a far stretch to say that what they are doing nowadays is Punk (at least in the traditional sense) but to me they'll always be that bright eyed restless Punk band that started out with Pain of Mind, Wink

Edited by mithrandir - July 21 2008 at 00:59
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 01:29

"different things", but the roots are the same and the connectiveness is still there, lot Metal bands nowadays are playing "different things" then Sabbath and Budgie but still all considered Metal, correct? 

What roots? Where's the connection between Alternative, Indie, Grunge, Folk, Reggae, Hardcore, EMO, Folk with Punk???

You listen any Metal band from any sub-genre and the distorted guitars are there, the sound is clear, the connection is evident, you don't find any connection between the above mentioned genres and Punk, is laughable, they are doing anything and claim it's Punk.

I don't know anyone who would actually go to this site for into accept many some 17 y/o noobz who play dress-up with spiky hair and Exploited shirts while their Mom drops them off at the mall in her SUV

Have you read the articles and who write them? Probably you stayed at the cover, but all the so called icons of punk have written there and are quoted.

that answer alone goes to show what little historical perspective you have those labels and their contribution to the worlds of Punk, Hardcore, Indie/Alternative and Experimental music,

They contributed IN THE PAST......Now they are selling anything to survive, just check their rooster of bands and catalog of albums.

Your last post proves you're living in the past, you are asked by The T about a Neurosis, a Metal band and you reply "They did Punk in the 80's" (Unless I'm wrong), but the fact is that they are doing it no more, my poit is exactly that, it's not Punk anymore, yo even say it's far stretch to say they aredoing Punk today, but posts before you rub their name in my face and qualify them as icons of modern Punk.

to be technical, Post-Hardcore is most appropriate, but Ian Mackaye is humbling personality, he never liked to get too convoluted when tagging his music, "Punk" usually worked just fine with ol' Ian,

right?...cause I know you've been a fan of Fugazi ever since they started Wink kept up with all their interviews throughout the years, so how many times you seen their movie/doc Instrument?

I haven't seen their documental because I don't care about them...BUT TODAY THEY ARE DOING REGGAE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice finding an oddball interview to attempt make a point. It didn't work though, a lot of Punk bands like Gang of Four, PiL, the Slits and Richard Hell, incorporated funk, reggae and dub as well...but going outside the box completely negates them from being Punk anymore according to you,

Nice finding? I's there, in the first páge of Google and quoted in Wikipedia LOL But he said it, the one you claim said he was just doing Punk, and as we have seen, it's not the case.

Genesis did Prog but Invisible Toouch is not Prog, maybe two decades ago this guys made Punk, but they left it in the past and are doing anything but Punk, please, read them, they say it.

so? they started out as a Punk band and musically they have advanced light years from their beginnings, but vision and message remains the same (which is still very much Punk in my eyes), not sure what Steve Von Till is saying nowadays but around the time of "Times of Grace" I remember him claiming to still be just a Punk band,

That makes my point, they did Punk when it was alive, now they are doing anything and calling it Punk, despite what they claim, Harcore, EMO, Grunge, Alternative, Metal, Ambient whatever, etc...IS NOT PUNK!!!!!

BTW; Steve Voin Tillñ is doing psyche today.  LOL

Quote Steve Von Till, under the guise of his guitar based psych project Harvestman, recently composed the soundtrack for the psychological thriller titled h2odio, a full length feature film for Italian director Alex Infascelli

I guess you won't call a Psyche soundtrack Punk Wink

BTW: It's not and oddball finding, it's in his official website.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - July 21 2008 at 01:57

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 01:52
Iván,

Wikipedia says:

Grunge (sometimes referred to as the Seattle Sound) is a subgenre of alternative rock that emerged during the mid-1980s in the American state of Washington, particularly in the Seattle area. Inspired by hardcore punk, heavy metal and indie rock, grunge is generally characterized by heavily distorted electric guitars, contrasting song dynamics, and apathetic or angst-filled lyrics. The grunge aesthetic is stripped-down compared to other forms of rock music, and many grunge musicians were noted for their unkempt appearances and rejection of theatrics.

So there's one root for Hardcore Punk for Grunge.

Also:

Hardcore punk (usually referred to as simply hardcore) is a subgenre of punk rock that originated in North America around 1980. The new sound was generally thicker, heavier and faster than earlier punk rock.[1] The songs are usually short, fast, and loud, covering topics such as politics, personal freedom, violence, social alienation, Straight edge, war, and the hardcore subculture itself.[2][3][4]

Hardcore spawned several fusion genres and subgenres, some of which had mainstream success, such as melodic hardcore, metalcore, sludge metal and thrash metal.

Thus linking in many forms of metal.

Emo

Emo (pronounced /ˈiːmoʊ/) is a style of hardcore punk which describes several variations of music with common roots. In the mid-1980s, the term emo described a subgenre of hardcore punk which originated in the Washington, D.C. music scene. In later years, the term emocore, short for "emotional hardcore", was also used to describe the emotional performances of bands in the Washington, D.C. scene and some of the offshoot regional scenes such as Rites of Spring, Embrace, One Last Wish, Beefeater, Gray Matter, Fire Party, and later, Moss Icon. (In more recent years, the term "emotive hardcore" entered the lexicon to describe the period.)

Alternative rock

Main article: Alternative rock

The underground punk rock movement inspired countless bands that either evolved from a punk rock sound or brought its outsider spirit to very different kinds of music. The original punk explosion also had a long-term effect on the music industry, spurring the growth of the independent sector.[233] During the early 1980s, British bands like New Order and The Cure that straddled the lines of post-punk and New Wave developed both new musical styles and a distinctive industrial niche. Though commercially successful over an extended period, they maintained an underground-style, subcultural identity.[234] In the United States, bands such as Minneapolis's Hüsker Dü and their protégés The Replacements bridged the gap between punk rock genres like hardcore and the more expansive sound of what was called "college rock" at the time.[235]

A 1985 Rolling Stone feature on the Minneapolis scene and innovative California hardcore acts such as Black Flag and Minutemen declared, "Primal punk is passé. The best of the American punk rockers have moved on. They have learned how to play their instruments. They have discovered melody, guitar solos and lyrics that are more than shouted political slogans. Some of them have even discovered the Grateful Dead."[236] By the end of the 1980s, these bands, who had largely eclipsed their punk rock forebears in popularity, were classified broadly as alternative rock. Alternative rock encompasses a diverse set of styles—including gothic rock and grunge, among others—unified by their debt to punk rock and their origins outside of the musical mainstream.[237]

All those genres are heavily influenced by punk. Wink

And finally, a note about current Punk:

By 1998, the punk revival had commercially stalled,[252] but not for long. Pop punk band Blink-182's 1999 release, Enema of the State, reached the Billboard top ten and sold four million copies in less than a year.[245] New pop punk bands such as Sum 41, Simple Plan, Yellowcard, and Good Charlotte achieved major sales in the first decade of the 2000s. In 2004, Green Day's American Idiot went to number one on both the U.S. and UK charts. Jimmy Eat World, which had taken emo in a radio-ready pop punk direction,[253] had top-ten albums in 2004 and 2007; in a similar style, Fall Out Boy hit number one with 2007's Infinity on High. The revival was broad-based: AFI, with roots in hardcore, had great success with 2003's Sing the Sorrow and topped the U.S. chart with Decemberunderground in 2006. Ska punk groups such as Reel Big Fish and Less Than Jake continued to attract new fans. Celtic punk, with U.S. bands such as Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys merging the sound of Oi! and The Pogues, reached wide audiences. The Australian punk rock tradition was carried on by groups such as Frenzal Rhomb, The Living End, and Bodyjar.

Wink

Edited by James - July 21 2008 at 01:58
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 01:53

stuff...

you're exhausting brotha, each point you make becomes more evident that you have no clue, not sure how many more ways I can point out to you how blocked in your mind is about Punk, and now your saying stuff like Hardcore is not Punk? unless something is lost in translation.  It'd be easier if you just say "any Punk band that plays one note outside of the Punk canon, is no longer Punk!" --you would think the idea of a "Subgenre" never crossed your mind,

those labels are still contributing great bands/releases to this day not to mention a strong back catalog that keeps them in business, you'll always have new generations of fans getting into Minor Theat and the DKs, (as well as Genesis and Yes)

Today, Fugazi isn't doing Reggae, becasue Today Fugazi is no longer around, besides Fugazi never did reggae/dub it was just one of many influences, not what they played...but of course you'd never know that cause I'm certain you never heard a note of their music. You seem to have a hard time understanding the line between "a reggae influence" and actually playing "reggae" ...if you were familiar with the music you're trying to degrade them perhaps you'd understand a bit more,

Edited by mithrandir - July 21 2008 at 02:00
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 02:10
1.- James, your own a words say it:

James wrote:
Quote All those genres are heavily influenced by punk. Wink

I might admit they are influenced...BUT INFLUENCED DOESN'T MEAN THERE IS AN IDENTITY....AOR was influenced by Prog, but AOR is not Prog, Prog was influenced by Classical Music but it's not Classical Music.

At the end every new artist is influenced by many others of different genres, but saying this is influenced by Punk or Prog or Disco, is not the same as saying this Punk or Prog or Disco.

2.- Mithrandir, I'm not trying to degrade them, never care enough for them except when people try to resurrect urban myths like Punk killed Prog or similar, but in this case I'm pointing something I strongly believe, Punk lost it's roots a long time ago,

You mention two icons, one is doing Reggae and Steve Von Till is doing a psyche soundtrack....Where is the Punk?

Iván

Now it's time to sleep, tomorrow is working day.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 02:25
You misunderstood me, Iván.

Yes, they're influenced by punk but they also have the mentality of punk.  They're just related sub-genres of punk rock.

Besides, what is prog-punk (pronk), pop punk. Celtic punk and ska-punk?

All four of those genres are punk sub-genres.  The bands who play in those styles have the punk ethic and play punk music.  It's just not the punk music of 1978, it's grown into something else.  Prog has as well.  Infact, what is Prog Rock?  It's a thousand and one sub genres of some very loose genre called Progressive Rock.

Therefore, Prog Rock died before it actually began and in fact, does not exist and never has.

Some examples of those four sub-genres of Punk:

Pronk - Cardiacs
Pop Punk - any number of modern bands... but Blink-182, Green Day, Sum 41 and Good Charlotte
Celtic punk - Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphy's
Ska Punk - Reel Big Fish and Less Than Jake

Noise Rock is also yet another genre that's influenced by punk and is a sub-genre of punk.  This is a huge genre and it's immediate, by listening to such bands, that they have taken Punk in yet another direction.  Boredoms, Melt-Banana and Lightning Bolt are obvious bands that come to mind here.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 09:34
Originally posted by James James wrote:

You misunderstood me, Iván.

Yes, they're influenced by punk but they also have the mentality of punk.  They're just related sub-genres of punk rock.

Besides, what is prog-punk (pronk), pop punk. Celtic punk and ska-punk?

All four of those genres are punk sub-genres.  The bands who play in those styles have the punk ethic and play punk music.  It's just not the punk music of 1978, it's grown into something else.  Prog has as well.  Infact, what is Prog Rock?  It's a thousand and one sub genres of some very loose genre called Progressive Rock.

Therefore, Prog Rock died before it actually began and in fact, does not exist and never has.

Some examples of those four sub-genres of Punk:

Pronk - Cardiacs
Pop Punk - any number of modern bands... but Blink-182, Green Day, Sum 41 and Good Charlotte
Celtic punk - Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphy's
Ska Punk - Reel Big Fish and Less Than Jake

Noise Rock is also yet another genre that's influenced by punk and is a sub-genre of punk.  This is a huge genre and it's immediate, by listening to such bands, that they have taken Punk in yet another direction.  Boredoms, Melt-Banana and Lightning Bolt are obvious bands that come to mind here.

James, for me, most of this suposedly sub-genres are only tags made to try to keep Punk alive in any way, I can't believe in such things as Pop Punk and much less Prog Punk, both are IMO only attempts which try to find a connection that is nothing but a remote influence.

Prog exists still pure and by sub-genres, it's a different case, sub-genres of Prog existed since the start, only some of them were coined and some particular ones appeared later, for example, Canterbury and Psyche pre-date Prog, Jethro Tull was a Folk Propg band even before theterm Prof Folk was used, Space Rock was created parallel to Symphonic.

Prog is essetially fusion o styles, Punk WAS not,

The main reason of their existence was to simplify music to the extreme,so if you take the over simplification, the anarchism, the purity of Rock in the most essential aspect, the lack of blending....Then you keep nothing of Punk.

Despite what peope said, I never saw New Age as a real form of Punk, tagging and inventing names is very easy, but the question if they really exist is not answered yet.

Iván 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 12:19
might I remind you that Punk, even in its prototype form always had a freewheeling experimental element present, dating back to MC5, Velvets, Stooges and its garage/psych roots, and bands such as Suicide, Pere Ubu, Electric Eels, Television, Debris, etc, --none of which are "Pure Punk" as you might say,--all predate the so called 77 British Punk movement you seem to champion as "thee only true form of punk"

Edited by mithrandir - July 21 2008 at 12:26
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 13:31
Originally posted by Walker Walker wrote:

Originally posted by Frasse Frasse wrote:

I wasn't even born back then but get the impression that "Punk killed Prog" is a myth so influencing that proggers seem to believe it themselves.

Many of my favourite prog albums are from the punk-era of late 70s. Genesis was way bigger then than in the early 70s, and still prog. The biggest album of the era is Pink Floyds "The Wall" etc.

Well,, I was around back then and living in New York, I can tell you all that Punk did indeed kill prog, at least in my part of the USA. Yes, some decent prog albums came out around that time (The Wall, Duke, Drama), but they were few and far between compared to the glory days of the early 70's. Forget about hearing prog in any local music venue.. it wasn't going to happen. I imagine London was the same way, and probably worse.

Ah Walker! Yes, indeed. As I was there, I saw CLEARLY how the rock press savagely decimated progressive rock (Jethro Dull, The Muddy Blues etc...) because the media beacons such as Rolling Stone, Creem, Trouser Press in the USA and Melody Maker and NME in England , one day decided that it would be politically correct to have alittle revolution and eliminate the "Bourgeois & Elitist" prog acts , labelling them pompous dinasaurs and jumping on the punk bandwagon (Pistols, Clash, Vibrators, etc...) . For some people beyond the large media centers, obviously the CBGB looked like another NY cesspool but had no local impact. Unfortunately, many did get on the wave that led to new wave deeper in thevery late 70s and the 80s. By that time , there is little doubt that prog had faded into a dormant state of mediocrity (some going commercial aka Genesis) and others just faded away. It did happen, it was ugly, I have still some of the clippings from those rambuctuous days .
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>