Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPost your (own) HM demos here!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 02:41
You should be able to click the links and enter the password NWoBHM - I just tried (after completely singing out of 4Shared and deleting all temporary files and cookies, so it didn't recognise me), and they all worked.

I'll create a new MySpace page and post the link - my existing one is for my other project with my "band" (just a colleague from work, but, you know, we try!).

Only 1 week left to go... basically I'm not going to be able to work on these any more, musically - it's going to be mixing all the way to next Monday's deadline.

However, having revisited some cassette demos from the time, I think my production isn't too bad, in comparison (even my singing isn't too bad, compared to bands like Blitzkrieg or Bleak House, both of whom Metallica covered). It's never going to be up there with major label production like Maiden or Saxon... Wink

The current links are;

Fill yer boots Big%20smile

Edited by Certif1ed - July 21 2008 at 02:47
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
cobb2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 03:03

Good composition

But- I found some of the falsetto a bit annoying- can you scream or growl- might work better.

Loved the lead in the middle- had that jammin' feeling to it.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 03:52
No - I can't scream or growl (convincingly!), as I mentioned earlier, and I don't have time to work on my vocals to make them better, more's the pity. I don't think my falsetto's any more annoying than, say, King Diamond... Tongue

(but you're right, my falsetto does suck - I was trying really hard not to sound like Thom Yorke or Matt Bellamy, as my voice naturally tends to - and thought that a King Diamond approach might work better - I've noticed that Rob Halford uses that particular technique on some of the earlier Priest albums).

The whole piece is one big jam (I assume you mean the first one) - all of them are. I'd love to go back and straighten out the bloopers in the lead, but again, I'm not sure I have time.

Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by Certif1ed - July 21 2008 at 03:53
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2008 at 05:36
OK, I've set up a MySpace site, and called this band Bludgeoning Spawn of Hell's Cesspits - I thought that was quite metal, even if it's more typical of the late 1980s than the late 1970s.

Rock On.

Edited by Certif1ed - July 24 2008 at 03:55
Utah Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2008 at 10:59
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Bludgeoning Spawn of Hell's Cesspits

Rock On.

You metal heads are all the same LOL

cobb2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2008 at 20:32

Just listening to the others on your myspace upload- much better way to go.

Just the way it goes- Like it. Nicely constructed. Drums sound a little too much like a click track- needs some fills (this may be all you were after though). Changing the vocal falsetto behind the chorus to some synth harmony might be better- just a thought.

Instrumental- Nice upbeat piece. Better drum patterns on this one.

Untitled- Liked it the best. Good construction, some nice changes. This one has the best potential by my ears...

Your guitar playing is excellent.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2008 at 03:06
Thanks for listening to the music instead of the production Thumbs%20Up

I agree with the drums on JtWiG - I haven't done anything to the original pattern I used... you're right... as a click track. I'm going to sort out the falsetto backing - it's not supposed to be that frequent, and a dab of reverb, and maybe some chorus should blend it in better. I'm not going to use synths, because they're not in the original band spec (I started writing these tracks in another thread: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48197).

Very surprised you liked untitled - happy accident, I think, because it's currently a bit of a random copy-and-paste special - I was going to tidy up the arrangement and structure into something a bit more conventional - but perhaps I won't. Mix definitely needs loads of work though - hopefully I can do that this week.

I've got one, possibly two more (the original spec was for 6 songs that could be whittled down to 3 or 4 for an EP) out of 24 different session ideas that I had over the last 3 months.

The final one is very tongue-in-cheek - even more so than the rest of this project, and I wrote it in a 2-hour session on Sunday, with an hour or so mixing on Monday night. It needs some more arranging, but I'll definitely be putting it up onto MySpace before next Monday (which is when this challenge ends).

Thanks for the comments - I'll try to feed the ideas into all the tracks and get the demo into a slightly more consistent shape.

I'll do a bit of work on the MySpace site too - and try to get the overall feel of some long-lost 1970s HM band.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2008 at 03:00
...so I've uploaded another track to the MySpace of Bludgeoning Spawn... it's called "Walk the Walk".

What can I add to what I said above?

Only that I wasted an entire 2 hours on it last night, re-arranging, organising drum loops, improvising solo ideas, re-doing an out-of-tune bass, getting a roughly even mix throughout, and EQ'ing like mad.

The mix is still awful, and only sounds any good on headphones (NEVER mix on headphones alone like I did!!!) but I really like the way this one is panning out, structure-wise - and it's a lot of fun to jam to.

Apologies for any cheap jibes you may interpret from the lyrics - all the vocal ideas were jammed, ie, not pre-planned - I had no idea what I was going to sing, although I did sing the lines 5 or 6 times each to get an approximation of the right tune. You may notice that the words "Rhubarb, rhubarb", "Blah, blah" and "Jabber, jabber" have been left in...

I can only re-iterate that it's tongue-in-cheek Tongue

Edited by Certif1ed - July 24 2008 at 03:54
cobb2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2008 at 20:03

They are a pretty pathetic lot here when it comes to getting feedback. Is everybody afraid of offending? Anyway, I'll give you some feedback.

Walk the Walk- This is the best one you have put up, and no, I'm not going to comment about the production- that is not you are trying to do or what it is about. This song could easily be put into full production by any band. Even the mumbles could be kept, but replaced with some news, documentary dialog. The lead was particularly well constructed, especially the 2 breaks- loved em. And you did it in a couple of hours- sh!t phenomenal!!! Had to listen to it again. This one should be done again as a studio production (even if it is a home production- I'm sure you know what I mean) and mastered out. It would make an excellent demo.

Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2008 at 03:03
Ahh poop, I've had a lot of things going on in my life lately, so I've had time to just practice playing, scales, arpeggios, running through theory, but almost no time to actually sit down and write anymore, so no way will I have anything good for the deadline I'm afraidUnhappy
So I guess Mark has well and truly won, by an extremely long shot at thatTongue
But I guess this thread will keep going, so after the NWOBHM theme dies down, I'll start writing some thrash metal stuff, which is more my style of stuff I've recorded in the past, and I think I'm more confident in writing in the style of thrash metal than NWOBHM.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2008 at 04:07
For once, I'm speechless...

Thanks!

I'm hardly likely to get uppity about offensive remarks about my music - after all, I never hold back when I'm talking about other people's music - and, as you'll see from my comments above, I'm happy to use words like "sucks" when decribing my own... Wink

/edit - Thrash Metal sould be a good concept for the next project - let's do it!!!

Same rules - 3 songs for a "lost demo" recorded back in the halcyon days of thrash, and 3 months to get them together.

The difficulty is choosing between 1983, when it was really raw, 1986, when it got serious (and the production tightened up) or later, when technical proficiency became the thing.

Edited by Certif1ed - July 25 2008 at 04:11
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2008 at 05:27
[QUOTE=Certif1ed]Hmm - try this link for the mp3; http://www.4shared.com/file/54746150/5c0effd4/test19f.html[/QUOTE]

the file seems to be protected by a password - can you post the password? Confused

Prog Archives Tour Van
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2008 at 05:54
Fred- The password is at the top of the page.

And Mark, I will indeed start writing thrash songs, but right now, being able to consistently get down to writing songs, recording and production etc etc, is not something I can be sure I can do on a regular basis anymore, because I've got a lot of other music projects happening with friends right now, and that's my priority. Maybe Mike can join you on a thrash challenge, but I really just kinda wanted to do it more for the fun of it when I find the time, but yet still get feedback on my work, although I didn't mean for the fun of it in terms of just throwing together poorly written/ recorded songs, just not really up for 3 month challenge.

For me, I love pretty much all the 80s thrash period, from the early eighties right up to the early 90s stuff really (and of course, as some of you guys may know by now, Rust In Peace is my favorite thrash album of all time).
While making some attempts at the NWOBHM, i felt a bit limited by the soloing style, but thrash opens up the doors to more techniques to be incorporated.
Obviously the earlier 80s stuff was not so technical, mainly a lot of fast pentatonic licks, with more alternate picking than a lot of NWoBHM stuff, but obviously after a while, we had guys going for something more technical than the standard fare Hammett/Mustaine soloing style, to the more technicallly astute Marty Friedman, Alex Skolnick etc, you know the drill and personally I am to play the more technical lead style.
I must really work on my rhythm chops again, not as tight as it was about 6-7 months ago.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2008 at 06:36
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

Hmm - try this link for the mp3; http://www.4shared.com/file/54746150/5c0effd4/test19f.html[/QUOTE]

the file seems to be protected by a password - can you post the password? Confused

The password is NWoBHM - but you won't need one if you visit the MySpace site I set up for this project; http://www.myspace.com/bludgeoningspawn - all 5 songs are there, and I'm pretty sure I set them to be downloadable, if streaming performance is an issue for you.
Utah Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2008 at 15:22
Originally posted by cobb2 cobb2 wrote:

They are a pretty pathetic lot here when it comes to getting feedback.

Ha...you noticed Wink
I got some PA members to post great feedback on my tunes ...but that was November 2007.

Originally posted by cobb2 cobb2 wrote:

Is everybody afraid of offending ?

Either that OR it's a case of envy... User "X" has lousy songs & does not want to admit that User "Y" has enormous talent and great music.

Edited by Utah Man - July 25 2008 at 15:23
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2008 at 10:20
^I can't see why envy should even be an issue - I often find it easier to pick holes in music by people who are loads more talented than me Evil%20Smile

For a site with so many reviewers, you'd think there'd be plenty who'd want to review their fellow members' music - perhaps it just feels a bit more uncomfortable to review peers (who will probably answer back!) instead of "gods" who probably won't.

I'll try to be a bit more diligent about reviewing other's music after this, but I've created a Garageband site for Bludgeoning Spawn, http://www.garageband.com/artist/bludgeoningspawn  and will have to do a ton of reviews over there to get reviews from them - 30 reviews per song I want reviewed Pinch.
Utah Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2008 at 10:55

For a site with so many reviewers, you'd think there'd be plenty who'd want to review their fellow members' music - perhaps it just feels a bit more uncomfortable to review peers (who will probably answer back!) instead of "gods" who probably won't.

Good point.

Also, It's possible that PA members only wish to review the kind of music they personally listen to.

A "Metal Head" might not be interested in evaluating a non-metal song, either because they don't like that style of music OR they don't know what features to "look" for, either good or bad.

Cert, you've always been very good about being willing to review other's tunes Clap

Thank you Wink

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 04:49
Sorry about lack of comments on songs, I've used up my download limit again (well my father probably did:P)
although if I can find a few free hours when no one else is using our computer, I can probably download some more of the posted songs.

Again, no microphone in this corner, so I'll settle for instrumental songs, which means where I would have spent time writing lyrics, I'll put time in with the riffs and solos a bit more.
Me being me, I've decided I'll be aiming more for the mid/late 80s/early 90s more 'serious' and technical thrash style. I'll still take in some older thrash influence, don't get me wrong, but at least on the guitar side of things, expect I'm aiming for the more technical style.
I'm going to start putting together various thrash metal style drum beats soon, in fact maybe after this post I'll begin doing that, and see where that takes me.
None of the bass parts or drum parts will be played by humans, that will all be computer generated of course, but fear not, every single bit of guitar will be me playing, in all it's glory.
Since it's late 80s/early 90s stuff, I'm no longer limited to my JCM800 amp emulation on my amp modelling unit, but will instead be using the various Mesa Boogie amp simulations on offer which also have the side benefit of allowing me to use the same gain levels as the JCM 800 model with 20-30 per cent less hum. For leads, I am yet to decide whether I go for the Mesa Boogie amps or the Soldano SLO-100 amp model, the SLO being my favorite lead tone from my amp modeller.
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 05:11
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Fred- The password is at the top of the page.

...silly me Embarrassed

Edited by mystic fred - July 27 2008 at 05:11
Prog Archives Tour Van
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2008 at 05:17
^Does your download limit include streaming?

I was supposed to be mixing - thanks for all your helpful comments via PM, Kevin - but for some reason, inspired by Cobb2, I put together a cover instead, and have posted it to MySpace (temporarily - I think that I might be breaking the copyright rules!).

It's a cover of Tubeway Army's "Are Friends Electric", and it's riddled with all the mixing issues you get when you mix using headphones.

Once I'd laid down a clean and distorted version of the vocals (annoyingly, I lost the clean version of the "spoken" bits when ACID crashed on me), I played with the riffs, and have recorded about 6 variations that work - but in this case, I opted to stick with some that were close to the original. I may well post the uptempo version later - it's quite interesting!

I also added effects (but not quite enough!) to mimic some of the synth sounds Numan used, and try to capture the essence of the piece, but in a more Metal kind of style.

Anyway, it's what I could achieve in 4 hours, so check it out; www.myspace.com/bludgeoningspawn

Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>