Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHowe or Zappa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 23:38
Zappa's guitar playing was pretty cool, but overall I'd say my heart is with Howe. He has played so many incredible things and has made many great harmonic choices. His solos are always well structured, and sweet.
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 17:26
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

Originally posted by Sacred 22 Sacred 22 wrote:

I know who the better guitarist is, but who do you prefer and why?

Good for you to know who the better guitarist is, because me i don't knowLOLConfused...so -please tell me , i am eager to know.

I may have a favorite among these 2 gentlemen, but who i am to say which one is the best?ShockedTongueWink

Both are very accomplished  guitar players of course but Steve Howe is much more diversified and can play anything from country to classical and everything in betweeen. His Acoustic playing alone puts him ahead of Mr Zappa. That being said, Frank's compositional skills show off his incredible diversity.
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 17:34
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Zappa, by a mile.

As much as I like Yes, Howes guitar sound and style has often left me cold (prepares for incoming abuse!) His lead playing often sounds scrambled and sloppy to me. Zappa is a more versatile and more emotional player, and even when his live playing was sometimes punctuated with a few mistakes, he still sounded soulful, in the same way as Hendrix or Jimmy Page did.

I think you only have to listen to 'Water Melon in Easter Hay' or watch and listen to him duelling with Steve Vai (Youtube it!) to see that he was better...

We all have our different tastes of course, but I think Steve Howe is in a leauge all his own when it come to the guitar. Oh I know lots will point to Hendrix and Page, but you must remember that the hype those guys got was second to none. Howe has talent in spades and covers all styles extremely well. The others shine in their own right, but they don't exhibit the the multi-facited styles of a Steve Howe. Howe is what I would call the complete guitar player.
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 17:35
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

Zappa, without a doubt.
Zappa probably wouldn't have wanted to play Howe-style although he could have, but Howe wouldn't be able to play Zappa-style, even if he tried.

LOLLOLLOLLOL
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 19:38

Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

I know who the better guitarist is, but who do you prefer and why?

Good for you to know who the better guitarist is, because me i don't knowLOLConfused...so -please tell me , i am eager to know.

I may have a favorite among these 2 gentlemen, but who i am to say which one is the best?ShockedTongueWink

Both are very accomplished  guitar players of course but Steve Howe is much more diversified and can play anything from country to classical and everything in betweeen. His Acoustic playing alone puts him ahead of Mr Zappa. That being said, Frank's compositional skills show off his incredible diversity.

Now i understand better, that's clearer in my mind and understand you point of viewWinkThumbs%20Up i agree!
peskypesky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 20:44
Howe, by a mile and a half. His range of styles and influences, from classical to country to ragtime, puts him in a category by himself in my opinion. A man who can write "Mood For A Day" and "Clap", and then play stuff like "Soundchaser" and "Going For The One"? Just ridiculous, and I mean that in a good way.
Prog fan since 1974.
alanerc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 22:40
Zappa !!!
It's way hard to me to like his music, not all albums, some of them, but once Zappa got you, you can't stop LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12