Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVice President choices.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: In your opinion which candidate made the better choice?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [40.00%]
4 [13.33%]
2 [6.67%]
3 [10.00%]
9 [30.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 13:31

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 13:35
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/08/the-shock-of-pa.html

Even though he hates the pick, he admits being in the minority opinion among conservatives.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080831/pl_politico/13016
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 13:37
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Both candidates suck for me.  Even the libertarian candidate, Bob Barr, sucks, and I'm pretty libertarian myself.  I'm not going to be quite old enough to vote in this election, and even if I was old enough I probably wouldn't vote.  
RON PAUL REVOLUTION?

As someone who is voting for McCain, he made a terrible choice. Obama made a fairly good one.

We all saw how well the RON PAUL REVOLUTION went . The media never gave him any credibility. True some of his ideas are out there but sometimes you gotta think outside of the box to bring change.

Edited by crimhead - August 31 2008 at 13:38
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 13:38

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/08/the-shock-of-pa.html

hahahhahah.. oh man

*spit Diet Coke on monitor from laughing so hard'

'He was the president of the Harvard Law Review; she was the point guard on her high school basketball team. '

right on Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 13:53
again... said it yesterday.. stand by it still

Think about how the key factor in this decision was not who could defend this country were something dreadful happen to McCain in office but how to tread as much on Obama's convention bounce and use women's equality as a wedge issue among Democrats because it might secure a few points here or there. Oh, and everyone would be surprised. And even Rove would be annoyed.

This is his sense of honor and judgment. This is his sense of responsibility and service.

Here's the real slogan the McCain campaign should now adopt:

Putting. Country. Last.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 13:53
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Even though he hates the pick, he admits being in the minority opinion among conservatives.

And that's what is so scary.  I would expect more conservatives to be wary. 

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 13:57
just had a funny thought.

setting the VCR for the VP debate... suspect they are already coaching her on issues..

*Ms. Palin... can you find Georgia on a map

ehhhh

trick question*
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 14:30
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

oh boy.  at least now we know what the most pressing issue of the election is...

Ermm

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 16:06
Hmm I have a different take on all this.  All of this conventions, VP choices are just smoke and mirrors.  Lets look at an entirely objective view (well as objective that can be expected).  I copied my post form another board. I leave you with a question if both of their  finite proposals can be so torn down where does that leave the ones that are not finite? I think we are in for far more trouble whomever is elected:

I rarely laud columnists of any kind because they seem to be just mouthpieces for either side of the coin but this guy, Robert J Samuelson takes a real world approach and cites errors in both candidates logic in their promises. The last paragraph is the most poignant especially for those buying into the rhetoric of either Obama or McCain. Here is the link to the entire article the quoted paragraphs are taken from:

http://tinyurl.com/6kpxte

"The most exhaustive examination of the McCain and Obama budget proposals I've found comes from the Tax Policy Center, sponsored jointly by the Urban Institute and the Brookings Institution. It's discouraging reading. Though details differ, neither plan would realistically limit spending or eliminate deficits. For example, both their health proposals would cost far more than $1 trillion over a decade, says the Tax Policy Center.

Obama and McCain have each embraced symbolic gestures that falsely suggest they've made tough choices. Democrats blame deficits on Bush's tax cuts for the rich and the Iraq War. OK, let's whack the rich. Obama would restore the 36 percent and 39.6 percent income-tax rates for couples with taxable incomes above $200,300 and $357,700. He's suggested higher capital-gains taxes and Social Security taxes for those with incomes exceeding $250,000. Together, these changes might generate about $80 billion of revenue in 2010, says the Tax Policy Center. By contrast, the 2008 budget deficit is reckoned at $389 billion. Even saving $125 billion by winding down the Iraq War -- a highly optimistic estimate -- wouldn't erase the deficit.

McCain denounces wasteful spending, citing congressional "earmarks." These are projects usually designated by individual members of Congress for their districts. OK, let's scrub them all. In 2008, earmarks numbered 11,610 and cost $17.2 billion, estimates Citizens Against Government Waste. That's less than 1 percent of federal spending.

Elections serve, in civics textbooks, to reach collective decisions about the future. The real world is different. Many campaign proposals are so unrealistic or undesirable that they may never be enacted. McCain would cut taxes again for the rich. Is that needed or likely? No. Obama would create more special tax breaks for homeowners, college students, workers and retirees, among others -- further clutter in an already complex tax system.

All this makes sense only as fantasy politics. Proposals aren't necessarily intended to be adopted. They're selected to win applause and please voters -- just as quarterbacks, in fantasy football, are selected for their accuracy. In November, one candidate will win this game. But the country as a whole may lose."

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 17:25
I select fantasy quarterbacks based on the potential of the offense as a whole, rather than the accuracy of the individual quarterback, because I feel that a good offense is going to give even a mediocre quarterback plenty of scoring opportunities and that a good running game makes long-yardage passing significantly easier.

But seriously, that's a good article.  And it's pretty much how I feel: whether Obama or McCain wins, we're screwed, because neither is going to make the unpopular but necessary decisions to significantly limit spending. 

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 20:28
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

Hmm I have a different take on all this.  All of this conventions, VP choices are just smoke and mirrors.  Lets look at an entirely objective view (well as objective that can be expected).  I copied my post form another board. I leave you with a question if both of their  finite proposals can be so torn down where does that leave the ones that are not finite? I think we are in for far more trouble whomever is elected:

I rarely laud columnists of any kind because they seem to be just mouthpieces for either side of the coin but this guy, Robert J Samuelson takes a real world approach and cites errors in both candidates logic in their promises. The last paragraph is the most poignant especially for those buying into the rhetoric of either Obama or McCain. Here is the link to the entire article the quoted paragraphs are taken from:

"The most exhaustive examination of the McCain and Obama budget proposals I've found comes from the Tax Policy Center, sponsored jointly by the Urban Institute and the Brookings Institution. It's discouraging reading. Though details differ, neither plan would realistically limit spending or eliminate deficits. For example, both their health proposals would cost far more than $1 trillion over a decade, says the Tax Policy Center.

Obama and McCain have each embraced symbolic gestures that falsely suggest they've made tough choices. Democrats blame deficits on Bush's tax cuts for the rich and the Iraq War. OK, let's whack the rich. Obama would restore the 36 percent and 39.6 percent income-tax rates for couples with taxable incomes above $200,300 and $357,700. He's suggested higher capital-gains taxes and Social Security taxes for those with incomes exceeding $250,000. Together, these changes might generate about $80 billion of revenue in 2010, says the Tax Policy Center. By contrast, the 2008 budget deficit is reckoned at $389 billion. Even saving $125 billion by winding down the Iraq War -- a highly optimistic estimate -- wouldn't erase the deficit.

McCain denounces wasteful spending, citing congressional "earmarks." These are projects usually designated by individual members of Congress for their districts. OK, let's scrub them all. In 2008, earmarks numbered 11,610 and cost $17.2 billion, estimates Citizens Against Government Waste. That's less than 1 percent of federal spending.

Elections serve, in civics textbooks, to reach collective decisions about the future. The real world is different. Many campaign proposals are so unrealistic or undesirable that they may never be enacted. McCain would cut taxes again for the rich. Is that needed or likely? No. Obama would create more special tax breaks for homeowners, college students, workers and retirees, among others -- further clutter in an already complex tax system.

All this makes sense only as fantasy politics. Proposals aren't necessarily intended to be adopted. They're selected to win applause and please voters -- just as quarterbacks, in fantasy football, are selected for their accuracy. In November, one candidate will win this game. But the country as a whole may lose."

Great article, thanks for posting this.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 22:08
Dont know much at all about Governor Palin, but it is pretty cool McCain chose a female VP
but the governor of Alaska!????!!!??LOL
All 11 people and the thousands of polar bears
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 22:43
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Both candidates suck for me.  Even the libertarian candidate, Bob Barr, sucks, and I'm pretty libertarian myself.  I'm not going to be quite old enough to vote in this election, and even if I was old enough I probably wouldn't vote.  
RON PAUL REVOLUTION?

As someone who is voting for McCain, he made a terrible choice. Obama made a fairly good one.

We all saw how well the RON PAUL REVOLUTION went . The media never gave him any credibility. True some of his ideas are out there but sometimes you gotta think outside of the box to bring change.
Almost all of his ideas were out there.

Alaska gets more federal funds per capita than any other state.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 22:47
I liked Ron Paul because the President has more influence on foreign policy than on anything else and Paul seems to be the only candidate who has the sense to want to get the hell out of this Iraq trainwreck as quickly as possible.  

IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 22:55
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by IVNORD IVNORD wrote:

My problems with him.. are economic. 
could you elaborate?

easy.... while very liberal socially...  I am an economic moderate.  One of the more interesting developments over the last 20 years or so is how the GOP have lost their way with regards to economic policy. They used to be the party of economic convservatism. They are not that anymore. They have become the party of tax-cuts at any cost.  Holding on the silly idea that trickle down economics actually works.  When the companies make extra profits.. ask yourself brother.. do we see it... no we don't.  That money goes to larger executive saleries and benefit packages.  The rich have gotten richer... the middle class lives in fear..and lower class continues to struggle just to survive.  I believe in many of the old things that the GOP used to believe in.  Fiscal responsibility.  I pay taxes .. always have always will.  I don't mind paying them.. I don't mind paying more... as long as I know that money is going to places where it is needed. Not into a CEO's pocket.
Wish I could disagree with you ... but how your economic moderate philosophy conforms to the democratic spending agenda? Obama came to the DNC with lots of nice promises. How is he going to pay for all his programs? We run budget deficits every year for tha past 40+ years. Last year tax revenues were about $2.5T. THe spendings were close to $3T annually. Where the money for the new programs will come from? Forget about Obama cutting taxes for the middle class. Let's hope he won't raise them. Tax your much-hated CEO's? Let's say they collectively make $20B a year (I don't want to waste my time to search for real numbers, sorry). Even if you tax them at a rate of 100%, it's a drop in the bucket. Who's left? Corporations and the rich. Let's assume the rich pay $250B in taxes presently (10%). How much do you want to tax them? Raise their bracket another 5%? It's bubkes. Double their rate? You know how much you'll collect then? Zero! They will leave the country the way the British rich left when they were taxed at the rate of 95% in the 60's. Now corporations. They're the best bet. According to the IRS, in 2002 the corporations paid $150B in taxes on the income of $560B with total receipts of $19, 700B. Again, double their rates? Come on my friend, you must know better  that Obama will never do that. So what fiscal responcibility are you talking about?

Great politics..  but look where we ended up.
He ended up where he deserved. There are no miracles in this world.

what I am concerned about is the direction of this country.  The 'win at all costs' mentality that pervades the GOP.  Division rather than unity.  That is where we at today.. .did we deserve that. No.. and that is not because Clinton came on Monica's dress... that is because ...the politics of division.. and pursuit of power.. were far more important than the serious issues of governing and working FOR the people.  Was it any surprise that years down the road the failure of the GOP led Congress became apparant to all.  They never did care for governing.. only pursuing THEIR adjenda.
I can say the same about the Democrats. Word for word. Except for Clinton and Monica, of course. And th Dems are more hypocritical at that.

We are not paying for Clinton now.. in fact..we are paying for the what he was unable to finish doing.
Don't you think we are still paying for the financial bubble he created just to get re-elected?

we are paying for a great many things... blaming Clinton for them is shortsited and partisan. And simply the easy way out dude.
And not blaiming Clinton is even more shortsited and partisan. You refuse to admit obvious failures of the Dems and dare to accuse me of bias. At least I spread the blame evenly. Reagan and Bush presided over a huge deficit but that served some purpose, the cold war. Creating a bubble to get re-elected??? 

P.S. Do you realize that Clinton did more for the big money than Reagan and Bush together? speaking of the new centrist Democratic Party

that again is the point... he did... and he did for common Americans as well... the is why the common peope.. AND big business loved him.  Why the GOP so feared him..and his centrist policies.
What exactly did he do for common Americans? Created a stock market bubble? So everyone felt rich for a while until the paper profits were taken away? It's like having a nice dream that you're rich; then you wake up and go to work. It was done so artfully that people still recall it as his greatest achievment. THey don't even realize they were taken for a ride.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 22:59
oh christ.. .LOL  A little late in the evening to tackle that one hahahha.  I'll get to that tomorrow. Wacko
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 23:05
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

That's the p[roblem. Neither one talks real issues. Only symbolic gestures and unrealistic promises
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 23:08
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Dont know much at all about Governor Palin, but it is pretty cool McCain chose a female VP
He certainly made a better choice because she would make a much better-looking VP than Biden
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 23:11

I liked Ron Paul because the President has more influence on foreign policy than on anything else and Paul seems to be the only candidate who has the sense to want to get the hell out of this Iraq trainwreck as quickly as possible.  
Ron Paul has a few good ideas but he's so confused on the economy... is it true he used to be a Libertarian? His economic views are pretty close to theirs
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2008 at 23:24
Originally posted by IVNORD IVNORD wrote:

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

He certainly made a better choice because she would make a much better-looking VP than Biden

Hmmm.....I'm not so sure......though the glazed eyes sort of distract from the awesome mullet.  But I do agree that anyone with their finger on the nuke button should at least have some sports reporting under their belt, and in particular a good doggie storyWink
Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>