Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBad Lyrics in Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 16:01
Originally posted by Keltic Keltic wrote:

The one line I often cite as an example of prog pretentiousness ( also read, drivel Wink ) is the opening salvo from  Close To The Edge by Yes.

Ironically, it is taken from the track ( and album ) I regard as their finest recording.

Nevertheless, for me,  the line, " A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace  and rearrange your liver to the solid mental state " takes the biscuit every time.

Mr Jon Anderson must have swallowed a rare batch of Accrington mushrooms when he came up with that one.

Well again it's personal preferences. I think "A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace" is a nicely turned line, "seasoned witch" is excellent, it gives a sense of time, age, seasons, experience & wisdom and she is not just doing some spell but calling you "from the depths of your disgrace" that is something to be appreciated. The stuff about rearranging the Liver is odd, but it could be a reference to the Prometheus myth where he was chained to a rock and had an eagle peck his liver everyday to have it grow back at night to be pecked again and again. Also it could be referring to the humours relating to the four elements which were thought to emanate from the Liver, so rearranging these dispositions would be an appropriate thing for a seasoned witch to do. 

As for being pretentious, i don't see that as a criticism, art is pretence, the question is do they use that pretence to do anything? Jon's lyrics fit Yes' music perfectly, something more concrete would tie the music down and make it stodgy, Jon is definitely weaving spiritual ideas into his lyrics, if you find spiritual ideas drivel, then you will find his lyrics drivel. They are suggestive rather than prescriptive and I think that is again right as it keeps the songs open.

ten years after View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 18:23
I agree with the last few posts regarding Yes.  Their lyrics mostly (not sure about the liver bit) are a perfect match for the music and are rather enigmatic in their obscurity (good line that).  I partlicularly like "Yesterday a morning came, a smile upon your face, Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race"

I generally prefer lyrics which are not too realistic.  Subtle is good.  

Pink Floyd, for instance, were at their best when in outer or inner space such as on Set the Contols for the Heart of the Sun or some parts of Dark Side.  On the other hand Money and much of Waters' political stuff is like being hit with the lyrical equivalent of a sledgehammer. 

"Making the shape of his questions to heaven" is a great lyric.
 "Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash" grates the teeth.
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2009 at 09:48
Umm, haven't we already established that Yes' lyrics tend to revolve around getting hammered? There's that whole 'full liver rearrangement' thing, and then how would you explain 'I get up, I get down'?  
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2009 at 17:30
I didn't think Yes got into drinking and drugs (excluding Rick Wakeman, of course, lol). That doesn't mean they can't sing about it, though, but when most band sing such things they sing it from experience.

Or maybe you were just joking, in which case it went over my obtuse head.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
Laszlo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2009 at 00:27
Everon tops my charts of prog bands with awful lyrics. There are some others too (Flower Kings...), but Everon wins the prize by a mile.
ProgShine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2009 at 01:13
A lot of cr** things was said here Disapprove

That's why prog was soo bad looking (not that I matter with it) but people who listen it sometimes are so damn  Censored
https://progshinerecords.bandcamp.com

Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2009 at 15:25
Prog metal seems to be the everest of appaling lyrics.  Everything is so overwrought and melodramatic. 

I like the album 'Vertebrae' by Enslaved but the lyrics are absolute stinkers.

The opening track Clouds begins with, 'In the void of chaos life endures / In the gap of creation, the ancient wisdom breathes.

This kind of stuff seems par for the course in prog metal.  The lyric writers attempt to tackle grandoise themes with great profundity, but end up churning out silly cliches that are embarrassingly hammy.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
awaken77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2009 at 07:32
i don't care about English lyrics 'cause  I don't fully understand , and don't want too..
But I hate Russian rock music, becouse lyrics are in Russian and I understand how stupid it is sometimes.

Morale - listen more songs or not-your-native language (it could be French, Italian, Swedish whatever for you in particular ).  I like singing in Swedish and Italian, even I dont understand it totally, it's just pleasant to hear

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567