Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFive albums that changed your life

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 13:13
What is it with this forum and the Allman Brothers?
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 13:15
Lamp

a wise man wondered that once about the forum and Steely Dan LOL  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
mr.cub View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 13:31
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Hammond Organ + Slide Guitar = Heart

Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 13:39
1. Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time: when I got this album is when my social role in high school changed from skinny nerd dude to skinny headbanger dude. I picked up guitar at the same time. People actually made fun of me, not because they didn't like Iron Maiden but because it was beyond their thinking that I'd like it.

2. Led Zeppelin IV - No other album defined good music for me like this one. I blasted it so much in the dorms that a couple of the other "cool" kids who didn't know me lent me all the rest of the Led Zeppelin albums just so they could hear something else. It still permeates my own music to this day.

3. Queensryche : Operation: Mindcrime : I was a huge guitar junkie by the time this one came out, and this album started to set me apart from the other metalheads as being into wierd music. While it's standard issue here, at my high school only one other person (who hadn't been introduced by me) knew about this album in 1988.

4. Genesis - Selling England by the Pound - My first true prog album. I think the second cassette I owned in junior high was the Shapes album which I liked quite a bit then, in college I had really grown to like Peter Gabriel solo. When I found SEbtP I was dumbfounded. I had never heard anything like it. The only classic prog I knew was Yes' Fragile, which is a far cry from this.

5. Etta James - Mystery Lady : the soundtrack to my courtship with my wife. Perhaps the strongest voice in blues of all times tackles Billie Holliday's catalog and we get a modern, soulful take on these classics that deservedly won a Grammy, and saved James' career. Amazing album

Edited by Negoba - April 06 2009 at 13:51
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
DocJ View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 16:19

Pink Floyd

The Beatles

Procol Harum

The Clash

Traffic

(Early)  David Bowie

Jimi Hendrix

Mott the Hoople

Kinks

Small Faces

Radiohead

Jethro Tull

Elton John (but just "Caption Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy")

Muse, Porcupine Tree, Pure Reason Revolution, R.E.M., Doors, Who. Nirvana, Badfinger, Yes, Cream.....
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 17:47

What's with the Allman Brothers?  Tie him to the whipping post. AngryLOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 22:16
Stand up - Jethro Tull
Close to the Edge - Yes
Obscured By Clouds - Pink Floyd
Leftoverture - Kansas
In the Wake of Poseidon - King Crimson

I Guess you can tell from these albums that I'm quite old, but I think I have a good taste in music, specially prog
mr.cub View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 22:32
^ Couldn't really tell...Young fella like myself has The Who, Yes, ELP, Miles Davis and The Beatles on his list. And by the way, Stand Up is on my desert island listClap

SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 01:14
1. King Crimson - Discipline - This was the first album that got me into Prog rock, and needless to say, I'm eternally grateful for that.

2. Jaco Pastorius - Jaco Pastorius - In simplest terms, showed me what a bass could really do and got me started into fretless bass Smile

3. Dun - Eros - My introduction to Zeuhl.

4. Charles Mingus - Ah Um - This one was what really started to draw me into the more normal side of jazz after listening to Mahavishnu Orchestra, fusion era Miles, etc...

5. Can - Tago Mago - This was my intro to Krautrock, and is still probably my most listened to in the genre.  It's just always clicked with me.

I'm sure there are others that I would like to have on this list, but these were all some of the biggest musical eye openers for me.

memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 01:57
i have seen this topic since it was created but actually don't dare in writing those 5 albums, now i would mention these, though i could forget other ones:

1. Pink Floyd - Darkside of the Moon
2. Radiohead - The Bends
3. Il Balleto di Bronzo - YS
4. Ayreon - The Human Equation
5. several more (Snow Goose, Red, The Kick Inside, Per un Amico, etc.)

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
rosenbach View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 14:27
Really hard to decide, but i choosed 6 albums that had a real influence on the music i've listen to over the years

1.QUEEN: Jazz. First album i ever bought been a teenager, after that i focused only on buying music albums (before that i was pretending to collect post stamps, coins, keychains ... but since then i left all that behind)

2. ELO: Out of the blue. Once i had almost all Queen albums this was my first studio double album and i used to love it (instrumental passages, strings and vocal arrangements, love songs ... well i was 14 years!) this led me to get most of ELO's albums, and then to some other groups like Styx, Alan Parsons, etc.

3. RAINBOW: Rising. This album led me to hear more heavy rock (Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin) and to some other hard rock groups of the 80's. I used to love Blackmore's guitar playing style and he became my favourite guitarrist for a while.

4. RICK WAKEMAN: Journey to the centre of the earth. First prog album i ever listened and it shocked me (i already wrote about this in the "How did you fing prog" thread)

5. FLAIRCK: Variaties op een dame. After listening one track of this album on the radio, i started searching for it but it took me a long time to get a bad quality tape and then the album (a cousin's gift that brought me from Germany) since then i went into folk music wich is my second love after progressive.

6. DEAD CAN DANCE: Within the realm of the dying sun. A friend of mine borrow me this on vynil and i discovered something completely new, completely different from the prog rock i was listening at the time, so then i went to dig more into 4AD catalogue (Cocteau twins, This mortal coil, etc).

I think these were the albums that in a way changed my life, and although i've not listen to some of them in many years (Queen, ELO and Rainbow)i think i will still enjoy them when i listen to them in future.

Edited by rosenbach - April 07 2009 at 14:30
Noak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 10:06

This album changed my way of looking at musical structure and sound.

Got me into 60s music which eventually got me into Prog and a lot of other genres as well.

Got me into Jazz.

Not my favorite Zappa album today but the first one i heard and it blew my mind straight open.

The first real Prog album I heard.
keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 10:53

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A# oo
from the opening monologue to the final triumphant climax this album changed the way i looked at music. i could argue that lift yr skinny fists like antennas to heaven is equally as deserving of this spot on the list but this was THE album that moved me past being just a casual listener of music.

Kayo dot - Choirs of the Eye
holy sh*t i like weird music. The most emotionally moving work i have heard and still my favorite album. THE band that kick started my foray into minimalism, avant composition, ambient, rio, just about everything aside from standard rock ish type things.

Led Zeppelin IV
The first album i can remember liking. dad used to play it in the car and i would crank it up. still know all the words and all the solos to every song. i credit this album with the first step in my musical journey

Creed Human Clay
ha ha surprised to see this on the list? First album i ever bought. me and my friend really got into music here, after school listening, exchanging, trying out new things it all began with creed... i credit my love of music with this album. with aaarrrrrmmmms wide Ooooppaaaaann! lol

The Album that got me into prog. random google search led me here to this site and to pretty much everything else i now listen to. dream theater was the first band i was fanatical about and was, as the cliche goes, my gateway drug into all sorts of other wierdness.

Edited by keiser willhelm - April 08 2009 at 10:54
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 11:17

Love - Forever Changes

Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts

Can - Ege Bamyasi

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

Husker Du - New Day Rising

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
BobFripp View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 22:30

TOP 5 PROG ALBUMS (ALSO CHANGED MY LIFE):

1. IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING (KING CRIMSON)

2. ROCK BOTTOM (ROBERT WYATT)

3. THIRD (SOFT MACHINE)

4. FAUST (FAUST)

5. FLYING TEAPOT (GONG)

ALSO:
tubullar bells, larks tongues in aspic, red, close to the edge, selling england by the pound, fragile, thick as a brick, wish you were here, nursery crime, mekanik destrutiow kommandoh, angel's egg, etc...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 22:38

any band with the words 'All' and 'Man' makes the average progster feel tough

Jozef View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 23:11

1. David Bowie- "Low" (The instrumental songs on the second half of this album blew my mind despite how minimalistic they sounded)

2. Genesis- "Seconds Out" (This is what got me into prog. This live album remains my favorite to this day)

3. Radiohead- "Kid A" (An album that demonstrated how a band can completely shed its original sound and still sound incredible, if not better)

4. Magma- "1001 Centigrades" (My first foray into Zeuhl, which was unexplored territory for me.)

5. Pink Floyd- "The Final Cut" (Not really an album that changed my life, but it was the first I ever bought with my own money.)

DJPuffyLemon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 23:59
In order of discovery;

1) Appetite for Destruction - GNR
First got me interested in music as a whole.

2) ...And Justice for All - Metallica
First got me interested in metal and heavier music in general.

3) Close to the Edge - Yes
Introduced to me by my dad, and I remember thinking just how dry and pointless the first song sounded for the first few weeks I listened to it. After that I got into prog music.

4) something by Acid Mothers Temple
Heard this soon after first hearing Yes. This got me hooked on psychedelia. This was a long time ago though, as I am not really that much into them at all anymore.

5) De futura - Magma
Technically its a song not an album, but this got me into Zeuhl, which isn't that incredible of a step all its own but its my current fav genre and I think it did change my life because this style of music is one which I currently want to make myself and I'm sure that future music by me will be very Zeuhl influenced.

Its kind of unfortunate I didn't list either Pink Floyd or King Crimson, two bands which I was ginormously obsessed with about two/three years ago soon after discovering prog. Guess they didn't change anything though.
limeyrob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2009 at 06:33
Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture - This introduced me to the world of classical music and played during music lessons at school - my first goosebump moment.

Top of the Pops Album no (something or other). In my naive days I bought this cos it was cheaper than 20 dynamic hits. Definitely changed my life - if it's cheap; it's usually cos it's crap.

Pink Floyd - Meddle (well Echoes really) - I'd never heard a piece of rock music this long before and it was brilliant from start to finish. Full emotional content especially as most of the piece is instrumental. My second goosebump moment. Also introduced me to prog.

Led Zep IV - thought it was crap to begin with. But that was only because I hadn't really got into rock music. 

Only 4 albums but then I can't say that anything else changed my life
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2009 at 11:15
1. The Doors - Greatest Hits (2CD).  My first CD ever by the first band I ever really heard and liked. I was listening only to classical music all my life. The Doors stepped in as the first rock representative in my musical world.  
2. Chaos AD by Sepultura - The first Metal cd I ever listened to. Actually, after The Doors, Queen and the Beatles, the first non-classical act (minus JM Jarre and others like that) I ever heard. Until today it has a special place in my heart.
3. And Justice for All by Metallica - My favorite album ever for a long time... It held that position until it was crushed by the following one.
4. Images and Words by Dream Theater - My first DT album and the one which opened the whole prog world to me. Ironically, a few years before I heard it I saw a video of Pull me Under and hated the band because "the singer had the nerve to wear a Napalm Death shirt and sing with that pussy voice at the same time!" LOL 
5. Scenes from a Memory by Dream Theater - Obviously, my favorite album ever has to be here...

Edited by The T - April 09 2009 at 11:15
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>