Topic ClosedThe Atheist - Agnostic - Non religious thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 191>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 04:38
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

whatever happened to personal spirituality?

Its a load of bollocks.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 05:08
Well I've also been an atheist all of my life.  I've never once believed in God or had any religious views.  My father is staunchly atheist (very much like myself) and my mother is too (I think; she never really discusses it.  I think she's more agnostic if anything).

Neither of them (or my elder brother's) forced anything on me.  I just have always thought the idea of God is complete rubbish.  I guess it may partly be due to my interest in Dinosaurs when I was about 8 or so as well but even then, I do not think I had any views.

Having said this, I did find an old school book of mine earlier this year from when I was about 6 or 7 (perhaps younger) and in it, I do mention God.  Very odd!  At that age it must have been mentioned at school.  I do remember once at school one of the teachers asking what was special about that day.  Nobody knew except me.  It was Epiphany.  I think I had read it in a diary the day before. LOL

Edited by James - June 04 2009 at 05:09
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 05:39
No real epiphany for me I just walked away.

I was raised a C of E christian, went to church and Sunday school, joined the campanologists (the only time I've ever been a member of a musical group) and rang the church bells every Sunday and at weddings and funerals, but never "got" that institutionalised form of worship - to me it seemed that "church" should be vehicle and not the be all and end all of a religion. So when I was 16 I joined an evangelical church, and regularly visited other baptist and pentecostal churches, (I even joined a catholic youth club), and went to prayer meetings, bible readings, joined discussion groups (that never really seemed to discuss anything) in several of those churches and read teenage pulp christian literature like "The cross and the switchblade". Through all that I got into christian rock, (which to a 16 year old seemed the perfect solution - god getting down with the kids), and attended several Greenbelt christian rock festivals. And I have to admit I was taken in by the whole thing - I saw the light and was born again, I was one of the chosen, speaking in tongues, laying on of hands, the works.

During this time I was approached by some members of a fundamentalist christian commune who invited me to stay with them for the a while, I had heard rumours of them before, but curiosity got the better of me - I wanted to experience first hand what they were about, so I went along. Now, as I said, no real epiphany - I was affected by what I saw there, so much so that if they had told me there and then that I could stay forever I would have done in an instant, except for two small events that planted the seed of doubt in my mind: the first occurred during a communal sing-a-long, we were sat around singing christian songs (even carols in the middle of summer) when one lad picked up a guitar that someone had left in an non-standard tuning and played a few bars of blues - everyone stopped and glared at him, he flushed an embarrassed look and quickly re-tuned the guitar; the second was the following day when another guy took me to one side and asked me about Pink Floyd and The Moody Blues as he as a big fan before joining the commune - I told him that Floyd had just released a new album (WYWH) that was dedicated to Syd Barrett and it was the most beautiful music I'd ever heard - his face was one of pure joy at this news, but his eyes told a different story - they were brimming with a deep sadness and loss. At that moment I knew I could never give up secular music, so I just walked away.

From then on I lost my faith - my overriding desire to question everything was not being answered to my satisfaction, 'speaking in tongues' was gibberish, creation was a being bent into a lie, no one was ever healed by the 'laying on of hands', 'prayers' were selfish, 'man in god's image' was a reflection of man's arogance, the bible was not "the word" but a bad translation... in the end I just walked away.

Later in life I tried Wiccian but could not reconcile the fact that it wasn't a real pagan religion, but a romantic victorian idea of what the true ancient religion may have been like. And I have read Le Vey's Satanic Bible and Satansism was not for me.

Edited by Dean - June 04 2009 at 05:42
What?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 05:56
I'm just glad you've gotten out of that cycle, Dean.  I'm not remotely religious, as you are aware but I can say that you do not find religion, religion finds you.  You have to choose one and stick with it (or rather, it finds you and you stick with it, unless you completely lose faith, of course).

Of course, that also means non-beliefs, such as atheism and agnosticism.

Moving through different religions won't really help you.

Dean, was that the Children of God?  I'm just curious.

Edited by James - June 04 2009 at 05:56
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 06:04
Originally posted by James James wrote:

Dean, was that the Children of God?  I'm just curious.
No, it was the jesus fellowship (later the jesus army)
What?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 06:08
Oh right.  I know some musicians joined The Children of God in the 1970s, so I thought it may have been that.

I also met a former Hare Krishna earlier this year.  He's still a Christian though.  Turns out he went to school with me.  Small world!
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 07:46
Never really thought about religeon when I was young (not exactly the most pressing subject for a 10 year old) but in my early to mid teens considered myself an atheist, I found the idea of God and creation from any religeon to be rather simplistic and silly if truth be told. Towards the end of my teenage years I questioned my own atheism and decided that since it is beyond the realms of human ability to either prove or disprove the eistence of God then there's no real point ot believe in either stance and at the end of the day it doesnt effect me in the slightest so I consider myself an agnostic because I just dont give a damn. 
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 09:09
Parents and us kids went to a Methodist church when we were growing up.  Had an aunt that was in the Worldwide Church Of God, which I followed for a while.  Great place for free literature and I did their bible study course.  They had a fairly logical approach to religion, if you can believe that.  Didn't have churches and have a lot of beliefs contrary to mainstream Christianity and are considered a cult by some.  Never joined though.  They kind of lurched to the right as I was lurching to left.  I guess I'll have to consider myself agnostic at this point.  Still struggling the the question, if God created everything didn't something have to create God?  And then why does anything exist anyway in the first place? LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 04 2009 at 10:07
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 09:16
Yeah, the whole human domino rally concept of time, doesn't jive well with the creation of the universe, no matter what religion (or lack thereof.) At some point, either something had to poof in from nothing, or something was always there. Either possibility will cook your noodle if you think about it too hard.

Edited by Deathrabbit - June 04 2009 at 09:20
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 10:07
Originally posted by Deathrabbit Deathrabbit wrote:

Yeah, the whole human domino rally concept of time, doesn't jive well with the creation of the universe, no matter what religion (or lack thereof.) At some point, either something had to poof in from nothing, or something was always there. Either possibility will cook your noodle if you think about it too hard.

If you've read enough of my posts you've probably already surmised that my noodle has already been cooking waaay too long. Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 10:21
Good idea T, nice to see these expressions too.  My story is similar to many I'm sure.  Raised Christian, but eventually woke to the fact that people just believe what they are told without logic or fact....a book written does not make something so.  The only one true answer to these questions is "I don't know" and I find it hard to take seriously any person who doesn't begin with the humble premise of "I might be wrong."

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 10:27
Although my four grandparents were practising catholics, my father was always  atheist and my mother more or less agnostic (although she went through the catholic rites to please her parents).

There wasnever anything enforced upon (except for baptism to calm the grandparents on this issue) us three kids and we never really discussed religio or godn between us  until recently .... although wer always chuckled when the churches were taking a beating in political cartoons and stuff.

generally I consider that this Universe was created by a stroke of luck  (big bang or somthing along that)  and is uncontrollable and it was never the work of a "creator".

It always seemed so clear to me that man created " god " to appease their fears , much the same way the shaman use to get power from the tribe because he claimed the knew why the volcano was acting up angrily

At worst, I could even deal with the idea of a creator, but certainly not of the religion rites and the need to "adore " him..... Actually if there was a creator, 95% of ochances are that he'd probably hate religions adoring him and these doctrines and dogmas built by the clergies in order to gain a superioity on others believers....

I will try to stop here, in order not to offend those that would think that theirreligion is anything more than a power to control them and and a pure waste of time

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 10:34
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Although my four grandparents were practising catholics, my father was always  atheist and my mother more or less agnostic (although she went through the catholic rites to please her parents).

There wasnever anything enforced upon (except for baptism to calm the grandparents on this issue) us three kids and we never really discussed religio or godn between us  until recently .... although wer always chuckled when the churches were taking a beating in political cartoons and stuff.

generally I consider that this Universe was created by a stroke of luck  (big bang or somthing along that)  and is uncontrollable and it was never the work of a "creator".

It always seemed so clear to me that man created " god " to appease their fears , much the same way the shaman use to get power from the tribe because he claimed the knew why the volcano was acting up angrily

At worst, I could even deal with the idea of a creator, but certainly not of the religion rites and the need to "adore " him..... Actually if there was a creator, 95% of ochances are that he'd probably hate religions adoring him and these doctrines and dogmas built by the clergies in order to gain a superioity on others believers....

I will try to stop here, in order not to offend those that would think that theirreligion is anything more than a power to control them and and a pure waste of time

Say what you like....this is the thtread for it!Wink
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 11:00
I am open minded, so while I do believe in "god" (I like higher power or grand architect of the universe LOL better) I fully admit that may be a current explaination. For example, what was before the big bang?
Nothing? Then it exploded? Was there already a universe "seedling" but WHY/HOW did the big bang happen? It just did? Even if the collapse of another universe occurred and the force tunneled through a wormhole, (which I heard once) what about THAT universe?

That's why I personally believe in a higher power. Why couldn't "god" have set things in motion...but it continues on from there without intervention. After all, god would not have to intervene, if everyhting is, indirectly, made due to him its perfect already. Animals and nature co-exist perfectly and we have the mental abilities to solve our own problems. So, god does not intervene in our world because there's no need.

All IMHO of course.
I do agree with Sean Trane that god would probably hate "religion". I do think it is used as an escape/comfort for people. Some I know for a fact use it to hide from their shortcomings, and I do feel it has been used for control. Besides, as my mom always said, church gets in the way of faith.

Finally, the Bible. Just a book. A bunch of nice stories, maybe they're methaporical but regardless they are just stories. I also believe Jesus was an enlightened man, one who probably preached love, be good to each other but was just a man. Not divine. His words have been corrupted/used over time.
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 12:58
In a nutshell, my faith in God died a long time ago. Although I do believe there is a higher power that I sometimes refer to as God, so I suppose I do still believe he exists. It's just there is so much carnage and disorientation in the world that I have strong doubts that he/she/it truly cares about us.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 13:01
^ That's why Deism seems like a good fit for my beliefs.
That famous question, "How can God love us if he allows so much death and cruelty?"

Well that's God as it is traditionally thought of. "God" may have put everything in motion...a jump start (the Big Bang???) and from that point it's on its own. WE control our world not god
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 19:16
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

I am open minded, so while I do believe in "god" (I like higher power or grand architect of the universe LOL better) I fully admit that may be a current explaination. For example, what was before the big bang?
Nothing? Then it exploded? Was there already a universe "seedling" but WHY/HOW did the big bang happen? It just did? Even if the collapse of another universe occurred and the force tunneled through a wormhole, (which I heard once) what about THAT universe?

That's why I personally believe in a higher power. Why couldn't "god" have set things in motion...but it continues on from there without intervention. After all, god would not have to intervene, if everyhting is, indirectly, made due to him its perfect already. Animals and nature co-exist perfectly and we have the mental abilities to solve our own problems. So, god does not intervene in our world because there's no need.

All IMHO of course.
I do agree with Sean Trane that god would probably hate "religion". I do think it is used as an escape/comfort for people. Some I know for a fact use it to hide from their shortcomings, and I do feel it has been used for control. Besides, as my mom always said, church gets in the way of faith.

Finally, the Bible. Just a book. A bunch of nice stories, maybe they're methaporical but regardless they are just stories. I also believe Jesus was an enlightened man, one who probably preached love, be good to each other but was just a man. Not divine. His words have been corrupted/used over time.

But who created this God you speak of? Wink
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 19:30
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

whatever happened to personal spirituality?

Its a load of bollocks.

Stern Smile
LOL

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 19:36
Originally posted by Deathrabbit Deathrabbit wrote:

"What's the use in trying to be good or accomplish anything if there's no higher power?" That's the typical weak religious mainline argument against atheism.

I believe this is exactly the contrary to what any religion could accept (at least mine which is Catholicism).

If you don't act correctly by own conviction or you do good acts only for fear, then you are not being sincere, you can cheat people, you can even cheat yourself but you can't cheat God.

I am religious, I know my religion condemns murder, but I am not a murderer only because my religion says it's wrong, I'm not a murderer because I consider it's wrong, as a person with a code of moral values, as a lawyer and also as a Catholic.

But even if didn't was a religious person, I would still consider murder is wrong

Iván

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 20:34
Originally posted by James James wrote:

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

All IMHO of course.

But who created this God you speak of? Wink

God created God naturally!

Seriously, I say god to make is understandable but I do not think its a big dude in the sky with a long white beard sitting on a chair of clouds. If so I hope he hangs out with Allah, Buddha, and Vishnu playing poker. Watch out for Vishnu though....he has a lot of arms.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 191>