Topic ClosedAcademically Qualified?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2010 at 19:54
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

I wasn't aware that we were behaving as if we thought that's what he meant. For whatever reason somebody would want to know which musicians had proper training, my answer will always be: ''who cares?''. 
Because that's just how I feel about it. Wink No harm was meant. 

...well if certain musicians are formally trained or not that is part of their personal artistic development and if you want to understand the background and origin of their work that is an important piece of it.

This, of course, does not mean that ones are superior to the other but you can note the differences and the way they play is marked by that... for example: two of my favorite drummers are Carl Palmer and Bill Bruford, the first one is classically trained but the second one learnt by himself and you can notice that Palmer is more technical and Bruford has more of a free style of playing... hence his Jazz tendencies while Palmer is more of an orchestral percussionist...
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 07:14
Originally posted by ABC ABC wrote:

Yes, in physics. hehe.
I meant musicly of course.

It is amazing that some of these bands made such complicated music with no in depth academic knowledge.

Not really. What may sound very complicated to the relatively untrained ear, will come to any have decent musican, with plenty of practice. When Genesis and Yes started out, they were nowhere near the musicians they were just four years later. Same can be said for Rush, or any band for that matter.

I think the stamp of a good musican, is not whether he/she can read, write and fully understand musical theory, it's whether they are able to effectively translate the ideas in their mind, into music..through whatever means.

Bear in mind, also that the mindset of classical musicans, is very different from that of jazz and rock musicians. Firstly, classical is about composition. Improvisation is sneered at in classical circles. Classical music is played as dictated by the sheet music, that the composer composed. It actually doen't follow that a classically trained pianist - for example - could immediately and effectively turn his/her hand to jazz improv.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 07:41
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 08:34
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Now that's one cool picture!
I seem to remember Van Morrison has at least one honorary doctorate.
And isn't Steve Hillage a philosophy graduate from the University of Kent?
"Oh me oh my there's a LIGHT in the sky!"
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 12:47
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Who cares?

This.

Beethoven wrote more advanced music than ANY prog band, and he didn't even go to school.

Booyah, high five *SNAP*

Exactly. Think about Chuck Schuldiner for example (who I know you're a fan of, Alex).

He didn't know sh*t about music theory, let alone formal education, and I consider him to be a genius musician. Formal education doesn't "teach" you how to be a great musician. It only teaches you the "correct" ways of being a great musician.

Formal education always helps, but natural talent rules in the end.

-Jeff

Yeah man, Chuck wrote things beyond ANYONE'S imagination, let alone musician's imagination. He really was a Philosopher.

But my true feelings are summed up with this: too much knowledge of music theory destroys the meaning of music for most. There's no element of "how the f**k did he do that???" when you know exactly how everything is done. It's better for me sometimes to leave the unknown unknown, because only then can you actually appreciate what you are hearing, not what it looks like written down.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 12:51

Who cares?

This.

Beethoven wrote more advanced music than ANY prog band, and he didn't even go to school.

Booyah, high five *SNAP*

Exactly. Think about Chuck Schuldiner for example (who I know you're a fan of, Alex).

He didn't know sh*t about music theory, let alone formal education, and I consider him to be a genius musician. Formal education doesn't "teach" you how to be a great musician. It only teaches you the "correct" ways of being a great musician.

-Jeff

Yeah man, Chuck wrote things beyond ANYONE'S imagination, let alone musician's imagination. He really was a Philosopher.

But my true feelings are summed up with this: too much knowledge of music theory destroys the meaning of music for most. There's no element of "how the f**k did he do that???" when you know exactly how everything is done. It's better for me sometimes to leave the unknown unknown, because only then can you actually appreciate what you are hearing, not what it looks like written down.

VERY well put, Aleks. Clap
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 13:10

Who cares?

This.

Booyah, high five *SNAP*

-Jeff

That's all well and good for the listening to music, but doesn't say much for the creation of music.

There is a huge gulf between being a great musician and being a great composer- the two disciplines are related but it does not follow that a great player will write great music.

While intuition, gut-feel and a damn good ear counts for a lot, understanding, music theory and composition cannot be dismissed.

oh, yeah, Beethoven's father was a music teacher - he got his early music education at home - he then studied under Neefe and then Haydn, who taught him the finer points of counter-point. Lugwig was far from uneducated.
What?
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 13:15
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Who cares?

This.

Booyah, high five *SNAP*

-Jeff

That's all well and good for the listening to music, but doesn't say much for the creation of music.

There is a huge gulf between being a great musician and being a great composer- the two disciplines are related but it does not follow that a great player will write great music.

While intuition, gut-feel and a damn good ear counts for a lot, understanding, music theory and composition cannot be dismissed.

oh, yeah, Beethoven's father was a music teacher - he got his early music education at home - he then studied under Neefe and then Haydn, who taught him the finer points of counter-point. Lugwig was far from uneducated.

Not once did any of us ever 'dismiss' music theory, nor did we say that it was foolish to learn music 'properly'. We simply think that it is not necessary for everyone in order to make great music. 

You are acting as if you need to defend your position here, when it hasn't even been attacked.

Edited by JLocke - February 18 2010 at 13:17
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 13:23

Who cares?

This.

Booyah, high five *SNAP*

-Jeff

Not once did any of us ever 'dismiss' music theory, nor did we say that it was foolish to learn music 'properly'. We simply think that it is not necessary for everyone in order to make great music. 

You are acting as if you need to defend your position here, when it hasn't even been attacked.
Eh? Confused
What?
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 13:26

Who cares?
This.Beethoven wrote more advanced music than ANY prog band, and he didn't even go to school.Booyah, high five *SNAP*
Exactly. Think about Chuck Schuldiner for example (who I know you're a fan of, Alex).He didn't know sh*t about music theory, let alone formal education, and I consider him to be a genius musician. Formal education doesn't "teach" you how to be a great musician. It only teaches you the "correct" ways of being a great musician.Formal education always helps, but natural talent rules in the end.-Jeff
Yeah man, Chuck wrote things beyond ANYONE'S imagination, let alone musician's imagination. He really was a Philosopher.But my true feelings are summed up with this: too much knowledge of music theory destroys the meaning of music for most. There's no element of "how the f**k did he do that???" when you know exactly how everything is done. It's better for me sometimes to leave the unknown unknown, because only then can you actually appreciate what you are hearing, not what it looks like written down.

Gustav Holst is a good example of what you're saying, re; composers/musicians. He was learning the violin from a very early age, but hated it, and found it very hard, and gave up before the age of ten. He took to the piano, but as far as I'm aware never considered himself good enough to be an actual performer.

His compositions, on the other hand were superb.

These discussions can be overly pedantic, and not being someone who fully understands the technicalities of music theory, I tend to have more affection (rightly or wrongly) for musicians who just 'feel it'...man
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 13:28

Who cares?

This.

Booyah, high five *SNAP*

-Jeff

Eh? Confused

Let me rephrase:

Your points, as well as the ones Aleks and I have made, are ALL valid, and I guess I got the impression that you were somehow offended or put off by what we were saying. If I was wrong in that assumption, then whatever, but like I said, nobody is trying to 'debunk' the importance of music theory, here. But its importance is often times misrepresented and held much higher than it should be. It can be helpful for those who would truly benefit from it, but a lot of musicians (especially in this genre) do not seem to need it at all in order to make great music.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 13:43

Who cares?

This.

Booyah, high five *SNAP*

-Jeff

In other words, I was saying that music theory isn't necessarily a necessity in writing good music. as far as I see it, all you need is passion (take a look at Stevie Wonder, who I know for a fact had no training whatsoever). However, I was wrong about Beethoven a little. Classical music is a different kettle of fish and you do need formal training to know how chords work, how to make an orchestra sound good and not cluttered, etc... But with that alone, he couldn't have written the masterpieces he did. It's a bit like having the car as music theory and the driver as the composer's own passion and vision. Neither are going to get anywhere without each other. Unless you have a robot driving the car, in which case the end product will sound like Yngwie Malmsteen (it's a joke people, treat it like a joke and don't get all defensive).

Arnold Schoenberg
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 13:44

Eh? Confused

Let me rephrase:

Your points, as well as the ones Aleks and I have made, are ALL valid, and I guess I got the impression that you were somehow offended or put off by what we were saying. If I was wrong in that assumption, then whatever, but like I said, nobody is trying to 'debunk' the importance of music theory, here. But its importance is often times misrepresented and held much higher than it should be. It can be helpful for those who would truly benefit from it, but a lot of musicians (especially in this genre) do not seem to need it at all in order to make great music.
It's "Whatever" then. Tongue You should know me well enough by now Wink 
What?
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 13:45

Who cares?

This.

Booyah, high five *SNAP*

-Jeff

In other words, I was saying that music theory isn't necessarily a necessity in writing good music. as far as I see it, all you need is passion (take a look at Stevie Wonder, who I know for a fact had no training whatsoever). However, I was wrong about Beethoven a little. Classical music is a different kettle of fish and you do need formal training to know how chords work, how to make an orchestra sound good and not cluttered, etc... But with that alone, he couldn't have written the masterpieces he did. It's a bit like having the car as music theory and the driver as the composer's own passion and vision. Neither are going to get anywhere without each other. Unless you have a robot driving the car, in which case the end product will sound like Yngwie Malmsteen (it's a joke people, treat it like a joke and don't get all defensive).

I hate Yngwie with a passion, by the way. LOL
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 13:46

Eh? Confused

Let me rephrase:

It's "Whatever" then. Tongue You should know me well enough by now Wink 

Sorry, Dean. I'm in one of my moods, apparently. LOL
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 14:12

This topic always gets me into trouble Ouch

Everyone who learns an instrument picks up Music Theory - it's not a magic black art. For example the Circle of 5ths is something most players know by one means or another and they use it either consciously or subconsciously to develop harmony, chord progressions and modulation - it's an academic fact and an intuitive reality. How that knowledge comes about is immaterial to me, what interests me is how they use that knowledge - in the world of mainstream pop and rock it is rigidly adhered to (usually), in Prog, Jazz (and Classical) it is not - Prog musicians break the rules - how and why they break the rules is something that appeals to me as much as the broken rule itself.

What?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 14:27
Funny ain't it how trained classical musicians yearn to be able to sit down and improvise while the self taught by ear (long haired proggy critters) yearn eventually to study theory ?
The grass is always greener...(whoopsEmbarrassed)

Edited by ExittheLemming - February 18 2010 at 14:28
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 14:37

Everyone who learns an instrument picks up Music Theory - it's not a magic black art. For example the Circle of 5ths is something most players know by one means or another and they use it either consciously or subconsciously to develop harmony, chord progressions and modulation - it's an academic fact and an intuitive reality. How that knowledge comes about is immaterial to me, what interests me is how they use that knowledge - in the world of mainstream pop and rock it is rigidly adhered to (usually), in Prog, Jazz (and Classical) it is not - Prog musicians break the rules - how and why they break the rules is something that appeals to me as much as the broken rule itself.

It's like the saying "you have to know the rules before you break them" I suppose. Even if you "know" them subconciously and only go by what sounds good to your ears.

Arnold Schoenberg
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 14:47

It's like the saying "you have to know the rules before you break them" I suppose. Even if you "know" them subconciously and only go by what sounds good to your ears.

I still don't buy it. Even if I am learning music theory subconsciously, I am not aware of it, and therefore do not recognize it in my composition or playing. So it's still an adventure for me every time I pick up an instrument. My point is still valid as a result. I could care less if I'm implementing theory without knowing it. What matters is how I choose to look at music, and I view it as an art; not a science. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2010 at 16:57

I still don't buy it. Even if I am learning music theory subconsciously, I am not aware of it, and therefore do not recognize it in my composition or playing. So it's still an adventure for me every time I pick up an instrument. My point is still valid as a result. I could care less if I'm implementing theory without knowing it. What matters is how I choose to look at music, and I view it as an art; not a science. 
Are you saying you play 100% by ear and don't know any music theory at all?
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>