13 [33.33%]
1 [2.56%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2009 at 12:53
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Entertainment is not always entertaining. Beck is a classic example of American bi-polarism , republican vs Democrat, white vs black , fascist vs communist, christian vs whatever. But have we all forgotten that all these idiots are scripted and are nothing more than controversial puppets ? This is not reality, its propaganda and all in the name of ratings.

Wasn't there just a "big" controversy over the people responsible for 9-11 being put on trial in NY? Anyways, it made no sense to me.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2009 at 13:09
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

Entertainment is not always entertaining. Beck is a classic example of American bi-polarism , republican vs Democrat, white vs black , fascist vs communist, christian vs whatever. But have we all forgotten that all these idiots are scripted and are nothing more than controversial puppets ? This is not reality, its propaganda and all in the name of ratings.

Wasn't there just a "big" controversy over the people responsible for 9-11 being put on trial in NY? Anyways, it made no sense to me.

You want to make sense of it?  Anything the Obama administration is bad, anything the W Bush administration is good.   It doesn't really matter if there is any continuation of policies.  The W Bush administration dropped the ball despite being handed a good one by the Clinton administration.  Attacking Iraq was more important than dealing with the real terrorist threat that was at hand.  And I really get pissed off at those who think these suspects of terrorism can't be given a fair trial here.  And New York will suddenly become a terrorist target.  Since when did it cease to be one??? Angry

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 30 2009 at 13:22
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2009 at 13:12
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

You want to make sense of it?  Anything the Obama administration is bad, anything the W Bush administration is good.   It doesn't really matter if there is any continuation of policies.  The W Bush administration dropped the ball despite being handed a good one by the Clinton administration.  Attacking Iraq was more important than dealing with the real terrorist threat that was at hand.  And I really get pissed off at those who think these suspects of terrorism can't be given a fair trial here.  And New York will suddenly become a terrorist target.  Since when did it cease to be one??? Angry

So Obama trying to change things is bad, but Bush was good? I don't understand. Confused
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2009 at 13:15

You want to make sense of it?  Anything the Obama administration is bad, anything the W Bush administration is good. 

Those idiots!  Don't they understand it's the complete opposite!! Angry
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2009 at 13:22
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

You want to make sense of it?  Anything the Obama administration is bad, anything the W Bush administration is good. 

Those idiots!  Don't they understand it's the complete opposite!! Angry

No it isn't, yes it is, no it isn't, yes it is. LOL

Wait...what was the middle part? Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 30 2009 at 13:23
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 09:04

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 12 2010 at 09:05
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 09:23
Personally i think Glen Beck does have some interesting things to say and some things that need to be said but it often gets lost in a sea of histrionics and silly theatrics, i can take him in small doses.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 09:34
Originally posted by dude dude wrote:

Personally i think Glen Beck does have some interesting things to say and some things that need to be said but it often gets lost in a sea of histrionics and silly theatrics, i can take him in small doses.

If you think anything Glenn Beck spouts on about 'needs to be said', you're either very misguided or very unaware. Either way, it's Neocon viewpoints, and they are becoming more and more prominent among the Right-Wing media and political figures. I can imagine the few sane Conservatives left are most likely embarrassed by people like Beck, because more and more people (especially Republicans) seem to buy into this guy's nonsense. 

What exactly does he say that you feel is worth talking about? I guarantee you that I'll be able to name anybody else who talks about the same stuff, and with actual sense and sanity applied.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 09:43
He's just Michael Moore for the other side, no more, no less.  Both men say some crazy things, and both make compelling points from time to time.  Both are making a great living by riling people up.  Both use facts creatively on occasion to make a point.  Both sides have numerous pundits who combine entertainment with "news."

The difference is, usually the lefties get a pass on their vitriol and crazy talk.  When the righties do it, people convulse on the floor and foam at the mouth, crying racism and hate-speech, when most often both charges are totally false.  The good news is that people are beginning to see through such tactics.  There will always be a few haters on the fringes of the normal citizenry, but the haters are there on both sides, not just the right. 

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 11:32
France!!!!  I gotta pee!!!!! LOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 11:34
Not that funny the first time, Slarty....you're slipping.  Dig deeper man.Wink

RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 19:14
Watched Glenn beck today and cringed as he advocated the flat tax. The man is doing it for the money, of course, but his performance is one of a fascist who despises the working class and tries to label the Democrats as "the left" when they are as right as the republicans.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2010 at 19:19
Originally posted by TheCaptain TheCaptain wrote:

I say he was a reasonably sensible person who eventually became power/money hungry and amped up his somewhat decent views to a crazy level. 

precisely--  decent person, reasonably smart, and not far off his interpretation of the Constitution.  Further, his vitriol toward Obama is minor compared to Hannity or Limbaugh

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 20:42
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

Originally posted by dude dude wrote:

If you think anything Glenn Beck spouts on about 'needs to be said', you're either very misguided or very unaware. Either way, it's Neocon viewpoints, and they are becoming more and more prominent among the Right-Wing media and political figures. I can imagine the few sane Conservatives left are most likely embarrassed by people like Beck, because more and more people (especially Republicans) seem to buy into this guy's nonsense. 

What exactly does he say that you feel is worth talking about? I guarantee you that I'll be able to name anybody else who talks about the same stuff, and with actual sense and sanity applied.

First of all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neocon
Look it up. It really annoys me how many people use that term without the slightest clue what it means. Beck is no neocon, he's a classical liberal.

Second, apparently very few people in this thread have actually listened to Beck, because his attacks on George W. Bush for his reckless spending were vicious. Anyone who thinks he is a cheerleader for the Republican party has not listened to his show.

Yes, he's an entertainer, not a journalist, and yes he uses insane stunts to get his point across, but given the ratings he pulls at five in the afternoon, I'd say it's working for him.

Believe it or not, there are a fair chunk of Libertarian minded American's (like me!) who until very recently have had no public figures on their side. All I have to say is that it's sure refreshing to see so much of guys like Beck and Stossel nowadays.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 20:51
 ^ I'd say he's more of an Americanist than a liberal

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 20:56
I like that.  Americanist.  Good term, DavidLOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 20:58
thanks Jim, though I imagine it's been coined before 
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 20:59
America is a continent.
UndercoverBoy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 21:02
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

America is a continent.

ClapI've been trying to explain that to some of my friends that "America" is not just a country.  Unfortunately, in the U.S. it's common to think that we're the capital of the universe.Disapprove

As for Glenn Beck?  Hate his guts.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2010 at 21:05
We understand that.  There's also nothing wrong with us referring to ourselves as "Americans."

Even Obama does it.  "My fellow Americans"   "The American people" et al.

We don't refer to ourselves as "United Statians" or "North Americans" and we never will.  Sorry. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>