Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMagma´s ideology controversy. Read this!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2010 at 22:44
So there is...

Nazis being crushed? Is not the point of the Kobaian story that Earth is a self destructive and evil place. Or that Kobaia is a planet that is a utopian escape from all this and that the destruction of Nazism (as depicted) is a good thing?

Is it likely that Coltrane fans would be Nazis?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

Couldn't find a mention of Magma...
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 07:15
Originally posted by Starhammer Starhammer wrote:

Sorry for resurrecting this thread from the tomb of Emmehnteht-Re, but have you noticed that there is a swastika on the cover of Magma's first album?

Yes.

Did you notice there is a representation of a mad world on the cover of Magma's first album?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 11:28
As long as Vander did not make any public apology of fascism (which I believe he never did), what he thinks or hangs in the walls in the privacy of his bedroom is his business.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 11:36
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Sorry for resurrecting this thread from the tomb of Emmehnteht-Re, but have you noticed that there is a swastika on the cover of Magma's first album?

Yes.

Did you notice there is a representation of a mad world on the cover of Magma's first album?

^ What he said.  Plus, there are actually two swastikas on there. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 12:00
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Yes.

And there's the eagle talon which is a traditional symbol of Germany's coat of arms.

The cover is hardly a happy picture.

And of course the Vander vocalising from Kobaia's "Stoah" which is clearly reminiscent of  Hitler.

There are plenty of Nazi elements/ parallels which have been incorporated into the Kobaian mythology, but I would not call such story-telling an endorsement of Naziism (e.g. Theusz Hamtaahk (Time of Hate).
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 12:14
I had never heard of this until just about a half hour ago and have been reading these links a lot.  I don't know how I feel about it, but it definitely sounds like enough of something that people saying that it's 100% bull**** are being pretty naive.  It's likely being blown out of proportion, but for some reason I don't think it's just Magma's ex-keyboardist out to discredit the band....
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 12:21

A lot of bands has used nazi images up through the years. The US metal band Slayer is the most known exponent. Their Angel Of Death anthem landed them in trouble. It is a pity that all four Slayer members would had been sent straight to the gas chamber if the nazis got their way.

I am not jumping to any conclusion before I hear it directly from the man himself. But in general terms, Zeuhl is a sick, deranged form of music which plays on totalitarian ideology in the music itself (the marching boots like rhythms). Due to the music itself, nothing would surprise me.   

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 12:27
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Yes.

And there's the eagle talon which is a traditional symbol of Germany's coat of arms.

And of course the Vander vocalising from Kobaia's "Stoah" which is clearly reminiscent of  Hitler.

There are plenty of Nazi elements/ parallels which have been incorporated into the Kobaian mythology, but I would not call such story-telling an endorsement of Naziism (e.g. Theusz Hamtaahk (Time of Hate).

Well, Kobaiian mythology does bring the subject that the planet Earth is os the verge of collapse and those nazi imagery could be the representation of that collapse.

IMO the guys could just put the USSR symbol and have the same effect without such drama. Stalin killed more people than Hitler in one year alone and his name was far from being inspiring, by the last years of his government.

An unfortunate choice by Mr. Vander and the guys of Magma as a way to represent apocalypse? Yes, but definitely sums up the idea of the album (look at the cover of magma's debut): the nazis crushing the peoples of the world wile the only thing they can do is try and fled with dispair, leaving their destructed homes behind. Isn't that somehow close to the apocalypse?Shocked
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 12:44
haha, this is great
Christian Vander a nazi?
The guy is an eccentric, probably the biggest eccentric in music ever. He says all sorts of weird things, but I'm almost certain that he is in fact not a nazi. 

This eccentric, but yet undoubtedly sincere, tribute song to Otis Redding would be quite a paradox, if he is a nazi.
Not to mention his frequently mentioned love for John Coltrane.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 13:32
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Yes.

Well, Kobaiian mythology does bring the subject that the planet Earth is os the verge of collapse and those nazi imagery could be the representation of that collapse.

IMO the guys could just put the USSR symbol and have the same effect without such drama. Stalin killed more people than Hitler in one year alone and his name was far from being inspiring, by the last years of his government.

An unfortunate choice by Mr. Vander and the guys of Magma as a way to represent apocalypse? Yes, but definitely sums up the idea of the album (look at the cover of magma's debut): the nazis crushing the peoples of the world wile the only thing they can do is try and fled with dispair, leaving their destructed homes behind. Isn't that somehow close to the apocalypse?Shocked

I think that using Naziism (ideology, Teutonic mythology) for inspiration is much more fertile, cohesive, and proved more culturally and politically relevant than referencing Stalin's USSR (plus, musically, Wagner, who was beloved of the Nazi's, is a Magma influence). Plus, then one might expect a Slavic sounding language which may not have suited Vander. Magma is dramatic. Using the USSR as a symbol would not be nearly as powerful, or meaningful in terms of a consistent world-view, nor for the depths of mythology drawn upon/ arts.... In terms of story-telling and musical sound, I think referencing Naziism (and the aesthetics/ arts that appealed to Nazis and myth that Nazi's drew upon) was a good Totalitarian choice, and is something that more people would "get".

Edited by Logan - September 04 2010 at 13:37
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 13:41
^true
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 16:07
^ for those not familiar with the above album, The Residents satirically compare American hit radio to Hitler and fascism to great effect, its a brilliant album.       (you can check out my "5 star" review)

Edited by Easy Money - September 04 2010 at 16:08
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2010 at 16:33
Originally posted by d.o.k d.o.k wrote:

This is exactly it. There is NO denying. These 3 answers never say things clearly. they prefer saying that Magma is defending an ecological earth, and fights extremist capitalism.... instead of getting precisely to the points and responding to them.

I'll give you an example!

I wrote a whole part of one of my screenplays off a set of dreams I had ... and one of the things in it, towards the end, was you and I walking into a doctor's office and the first thing we see is a glass with a flower in it that is sagging and in bad need of water/sustenance.

The whole class spent a whole day discussing what a great symbol of death that was ... and what was my intent as I wrote the story?

1. I had no intent. It was what I saw and I trust my inner "story teller"
2. I abhor "symbols" and the idea that symbols supposedly mean something ... which might not be true for you and I!
3. A critical review by a big name literatti in Italy, who worked with my father a lot, read the screen play ... and I have the letter in my wall ... it says ... why don't I use more universal symbols instead personal ones!

You can NOT write ANYTHING without someone always thinking it is wrong, incorrect, politically off key ... it doesn't matter. Between you and I there is a lot less "politics" in that work than anything else, and if there are politics, maybe it has similar politics as Richard Wagner in a series of 4 operas.

There is nothing that Christian, or Stella, or anyone else, can possibly say that is not going to be taken improperly and not understood by someone out there. And only your fears can come up with elements or ideas that would create such accusations. That is not to say that those elements are not there ... but I have to tell you one thing ... considering the time that Magma comes from the revolution and everything else around his time and place ... I seriously doubt that this a part of the accusations made ... and in fact, I would probably not reply to any of those blogs since all they are feeding is a shark frenzy ... and I guarantee you that a shark couldn't give a damn about whose side you one when that time comes! It's the same with blogs!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 19:49
http://kohntarkosz.blogspot.com/2009/11/some-words-about-recent-controversy.html

"I was in 1971 if I remember well the year at a concert MAGMA, in Montauban, in a tiny room. It would be thirty and they received after the show for all payments: a basket of sausage, cheese and other bread. 

At the end of the concert, a dozen spectators, convinced of having witnessed a great moment of music, stayed to talk with them. 

The first quarter of an hour was very nice but suddenly changed to Vander tone to explain unambiguously the three or four remaining what sense and why he gave his music and how much for him, "the only one who was right was Hitler "! The rest of his pro-Nazi speech made me leave the room with a terrible feeling sick and yet their music is beautiful! "
GY!BE View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 20:26
This is very mystical but still no solid proof of nazism in Magma or by Vander...As a huge fan of magma I would be pretty disapointed to discover the rumor true. But I guess I could be able to separate the music and the ideology behind because you can enjoy the music without suporting its morality.
40footwolf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 03:15
Huh, I was thinking about getting into Magma but now I might wait 'til the guy's dead. Don't want no stinkin' Nazi earning a living on my buck. 
Heaven's made a cesspool of us all.
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 03:42
Originally posted by 40footwolf 40footwolf wrote:

Huh, I was thinking about getting into Magma but now I might wait 'til the guy's dead. Don't want no stinkin' Nazi earning a living on my buck. 

Please don't let a smattering of unsubstantiated rumour prevent you from discovering Magma's incredible music. Even if some, or indeed all, of what has been suggested in this thread and elsewhere turns out to be true, it is doesn't do much more than confirm that Christian Vander is an eccentric and deeply confused man, like so many remarkable artists before him. Magma does not make Fascist music.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 04:25
http://kohntarkosz.blogspot.com/2009/11/some-words-about-recent-controversy.html

A recent link which hopefully should work. Just been reading it.

What does my nom de plume here on PA really mean?

Ouch
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 16:28
Originally posted by 40footwolf 40footwolf wrote:

Yeah, you really need to not shy away form Magma.  This is only a potential rumor, and regardless their are amazing band.  Some of the most talented and inventive artists of all time.
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 22:51
Potential rumour? No, a potential rumour is one that says Mike Portnoy left Dream Theater (true) to drum for Led Zeppelin. (untrue a.fa.i.k...) Just an example of a potential rumour.

CV undertook racist tirades at the 2009 le Triton concerts (would love to have a copy of one or those if they exist.)

Seems to me that Magma are a musically facinating band which is what attracts the members and their audience. The basis of the Kobaian totalitarian idea with master race ideas is borne from CV's fascination with Hitler. This is all news to me (as of very recently.) I'm not surer whther her's a Holocaust denier or apologist but it seems the Nazi intent has underwritten the core base of Magma's ideas.

So what do we audients do? Ignore CV's ideas? Absorb them? Acknowledge the inspiration for the Kobaian idea (Nazi-ism) as well as enjoy the music? Decry everything about Magma?

Frankly the contradictions (Jewish wife, love of jazz, tributes to Coltrane) do not square with his (apparent?) fasination with matters Nazi. Now CV's view of Nazi-sm is very post WW2 but clearly they had an influence. Far be it for one as lowly as me to demand an explanation but the responsibilty of artists accounting for their art is that of the media. Tough questions which may not work.

From what I've read CV is a very rich man living in a castle. His wealth allows him to pursue his Utopian artisitic dream / nightmare scenario and his drumming and composition talent attract fine European musicians. I know these Nazi rumours have sprouted and some purported that they were not denied for publicity purposes.

Recent and recently re-published interviews (translated or otherwise) demand justification. Does he really think that worser of India and the Afican Continent for example? Do Magma pursue a discredited political ethos? Actively? What of the contradictions? How will this affect Magma commercially? CV what does your first LP cover really mean? The Swastikas are not there byu accident are they?

It may be illegal to be a Nazi in France, it certainly is in Germany a country whose feelings are undertandably very sensitive on the subject. This was the source of the split between Jannick Top and CV as well as recent member departures. His associations with RIO bands could prove compromised; where one band might be Nazi so might others. Admittedly this ius just a speculation by me but it should be borne in mind. Well mine anyway as I love RIO bands...

Is it okay to like the music, take from it the meaning of the disturbing nature of interplantary master race and the threats to humanity that implies?

I can like Ride of The Valkyries without liking Wagner's politics. And what of the pop parrallel of Michael Jackson. Many fans chose to ignore his discretionary impulses toward young people. it's not who is worse but instead of fandom and adopting he cult of personality perhaps it's time to junk that idea altogther.

I can place my interpretaion upon Magma's music. I had identified the clear totaltarian themes but never understood them to be actively promoted by CV and Magma. I could be wrong. I would also hate to do a disserice to Magma but these actual rumours do require a response- it is Nazi-ism. Normally I would hesitate to demand such justification - not for me etc. As indicated elsewhere such a demand is fascistic in nature.

But this is Nazi-ism and it is dangerous. Perhaps the needs of that individual are out weighed by the needs of all other individuals?

Fascism is regrettably very popular, jusy look at the cult of Political Correction and it's grip on society. I've known people here in NZ and now that are actively scared to say something - anything about anything just in case they risk saying something that can be used against them. Life follows art at times and maybe Magma have indicated we live in facist Kobaia after all. I'm not saying CV is justified in some of his opinions (to which we are all entitiled no matter how distasteful) but he may be correct in how totalitarianism and loss of freedom may be the way of the  world.

He could be wright but it's how he got tob so  - the inspiration of Kobaia that demands answers. It cannot really be ignored can it?

I wonder what's next?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>