FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInfluenced To Start Learning An Instrument

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2010 at 06:36
I took up drums, guitar, and dulcimer at age 7 in 1964 after "The Beatles" made their first appearance on the Ed Sullivian Show. In 1969, age 12, I gave up drums and took up guitar and fulltime study with my father who was a Jazz guitartist in the 30's and 40's. I was inspired to make this decision upon viewing Carlos Santana on the Woodstock film. By age 15, I was studying or learning old Jazz standards and Progressive Rock. By age 16 or 17, I was playing Steve Howe's "Mood For A day" without Classical training. I then decided to study Classical guitar with my father running a course from 7:am to sometimes after midnight. This lasted for about 3 years and during the last year of Classical studies, I practiced electric guitar on the side with a personal interest in McLaughlin, Benson, and Carlton...and sacrificing between 3 to 4 hours on Classical for electric. Eventually both or various styles came somewhat to a head, being developed and at age 18, I left for the road and travelled for 30 years having only small breaks between.. I travelled with musicians and entertainers who were much older than me and taught me the ropes to the music business and schooled me in areas of improvisation and just playing in general. I owe everything to my father and them.  

Edited by TODDLER - November 25 2010 at 06:42
chrijom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2010 at 13:37
Guitar - wanted to play like Steve Hackett, took my Dad's old steel strung along to the local music school where a very snobby classical musician refused to teach me as I didn't have a nylon string and he hadn't heard of Genesis!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2010 at 13:53
Originally posted by chrijom chrijom wrote:

Guitar - wanted to play like Steve Hackett, took my Dad's old steel strung along to the local music school where a very snobby classical musician refused to teach me as I didn't have a nylon string and he hadn't heard of Genesis!

That teacher sounds like a waste of time.  When it comes to acoustic, nylon string is the best, and you can play it with a pick.

Best to figure out how to play like yourself than how to play like someone else anyway. Wink

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 26 2010 at 18:25
Noak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2010 at 15:39
I've bee playing bass for 5 years. When I started, I didn't really know what a bass was. I had never seen anybody play one and I wasn't sure what it sounded like. For some reason I picked it up and I'm glad I did it.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 00:40
Originally posted by chrijom chrijom wrote:

The vast amount of snobby Classical musicians and teachers out there in the real world? My God, it's like they are trying to take your soul. My dad was really tough. It was like the military. I would be playing Bach's Corrente while the sun was rising, sleep for 2 hours and then start practicing Segovia'sbook of scales. It did make Hackett and Howe's pieces seem a lot easier to play. Hackett and Howe were not devoted to Classical guitar like John Williams, Julian Bream, and Christopher Parkening. They were 15 hour a day guys and nylon was their complete life as Hackett and Howe (although being great), played in rock bands. When I started performing Classical guitar in mansions for snobby Classical people, I was greatly excepted but, my nerves were shot. I was so drained from the pressures of that audience, I would pass-out in the limo. They were very judgemental. I would see Segovia performing in the White House and he would sometimes play a Classical piece of music that lasted for 15 minutes, played perfectly without an indication of a mistake or a slip-up. A constant flow of notes that would guide the listener through some kind of fantastic journey. I never went that distance and kept classical nylon playing as a side hobby. I loved electric guitar and it drew me away. I wrecked my nerves playing for those people. Half the time I felt like a beachball sweating inside a furnace.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 02:29
Guitar, inspired by (in this order of appearance): Iron Maiden, Kamelot, Kayak, Arena, King Crimson, Holdsworth, Di Meola, Jan Blok (Jazz-guitar player of Wim Sonneveld Cabaret).
Anirml View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 07:11
Prog inspired me to get a Gong behind my drumset Embarrassed
Also got a Triangle!
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 08:00
I really want to take up the accordion but it's way out of my price range. Mind you, a loaf is bread is out of my price range at the moment...
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 08:07
Originally posted by Anirml Anirml wrote:

Also got a Triangle!

Saving up money for a cowbell? Tongue

Anirml View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 09:44
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Also got a Triangle!

Already got one Big smile Need another one though now when I think about it!

Edited by Anirml - November 26 2010 at 09:45
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 10:03

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Also got a Triangle!

Already got one Big smile Need another one though now when I think about it!

Nothing goes tok tok tok tok quite like a cowbell. Tongue

The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 10:40
When I started playing guitar (classical), I didn't even know prog existed. Played it for 3 years, stopped having lessons, bought a cheapo Gibson SG copy in 2006, left it in the closet because I couldn't play solos.

Then, in late 2007 (probably after playing Guitar Hero 2) I started listening to Rush. Geddy's tone inspired me to pick up bass. Bought me a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass and defretted it after a year.

I'm good at it; I can play all Rush songs from the '75-'81 period, some Jaco Pastorius stuff, and can learn songs by ear.

6 months ago, I decided to take drumming lessons (this time inspired by both Neil Peart and Gavin Harrison). A prog listening background made me go through odd time sigs easily. Learned most rudiments out there, also can learn some stuff by ear, can't play 16th or 32th notes repeatedily without getting tired quickly, except for ghost notes on the snare. Stopped a couple of months ago because I don't have time/money for it, until high school's over.

I plan on learning to play the bouzouki, the oud, mandocello and the baritone guitar.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 14:24
Hi,

Keyboards have been my greatest dream and I have now setup a computer and am already starting to play things on various programs, including Jupiter 8V and some others, off the midi board I have.

I know music well enough, but not well enough. Music theory is by far one of the most boring things ever invented, next to math basics. I can create pieces of music, with two things going, and I can create poetry over it, which I am trying to clean up as I go along. I don't know how to manipulate the sequencer well enough to be able to do more with it all around, but I will get it down sooner or later.

I was once told that if someone had locked me up with a keyboard for 30 days, that I would become really good with it, because I have the ear and the feel for translating what I see inside ... which, I can not translate to music, and is the basis of a lot of my discussions here. But I can do the opposite ... I can create a mood and add poetry to it, and that is nice ... considering how much poetry I wrote by listening to music instead!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 16:11
I suppose there is no one method that works for everyone.  In the end you just have to enjoy the creation of music or just stick to the listening.  However if you have become an avid listener, you may want to put your hands on an instrument and see what you can do.

Elderflower Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 16:20
To be honest, I never had a particular inspiration to start learning guitar. I was given one for my twelfth birthday, but even so there wouldn't have been a specific guitarist who inspired me. I could learn from David Gilmour, I expect.
All your hearts now seem so far from me,
It hardly seems to matter now.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 18:24
Don't bother unless you feel the urge to make your own music in your heart and soul because you can always enjoy listening after all.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2010 at 12:04
Chris Squire for bass guitar and Ian Anderson for the flute. Peter Gabriel influenced me in my singing but, I started playing because of the Beatles and the Police.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 08:47
I find it interesting that when I started playing guitar at age 7, "The Beatles" influenced me to want the rock star fame. From age 7 to 18, I secretly wanted that fame. When the real deal made itself available to me at age 18, I then realized that apart from all the shocking criminal activity I witnessed, that this was no different from a normal life. It had all the same disappointments, regrets, and mistakes that any normal kid experiences. So, in that sense...nothing was really different personally. It was an exciting experience to tour with celebrities in the 70's and 80's but your life was no different than the average guy walking down the street. Unfortunately,  a few of my long time musician friends didn't see it that way and as a result...committed suicide. Because they were living in a bubble and really didn't know. It was too late for me to guide them in the right direction because they were doing tours like me and sometimes the chances of meeting up again were slim. But that's what it is .....some musicians think that everything is going to be so different when they get a break and it's not. And they are let down because they have high ideals about life. I never fell into that realm fortunately because for years after getting over the Beatles, I studied in a room everyday with my dad and developed an opposite perception about playing music from what my friends had developed during that time. I hope I'm not bringing you folks down. I still think about losing my musician buddies that way and yes! It's sad to see your friends exit like that when you yourself know they were blind and exactly why. Once they were faced with that realization that nothing changes, they started doing hard drugs, sometimes falling off stage and being rushed to the hospital, etc. It felt to me like they died inside and I took it as tragic. It's still hard for me to except it today. It's not a why me? It's a why them. or why does this have to exsist?
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 09:01
Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

I was just wondering if anyone here's love of music has inspired them to play an instrument, and if so what instrument and who was your biggest influence?

My love of music definitely got me to play an instrument.  It would be pretty hard otherwise. LOL

At first I wanted to play drums, but it wasn't practical since it would take up too much space and be too loud.  I decided to buy a bass because it fit in with the traditional instrumentation of rock and metal, and every one I knew was a guitarist.  I wasn't inspired by any one bass player when I got my first bass.  In fact, it was when I started learning the bass that I first really payed attention to bass players.  BTW, it was a few weeks before my 16th birthday that I bought my first bass.

I actually finally got a drum kit this past January.  I was away for university until June, so I left my kit at my parent's house.  It's a Yamaha electronic kit, so noise isn't much of an issue.  Again, I wasn't inspired by any particular drummer to start playing.  Learning any instrument really helps in paying more attention to what each individual musician in a group is doing, so I was already very much tuned into several drummers.
FordPrefect View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 17:07
I wanted to learn to play guitar after becoming familiar with Steve Howe's playing.
Still can't play like him though. Unhappy

My first instrument was bass (guitar) but I really wasn't able to play it before I learned the guitar!
Don't panic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>