Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 33>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 11:55
I'm 55, and I enjoy playing Robert Fripp lead guitar solos over Justin Bieber songs.   Does that count?  
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 09:53
in my prog journey i have had long fazes where my attitude to listening has been [insert Walter qoute here] but now i tend to base my listening on hearing anything i haven't heard yet, this is still usually 70's stuff but i do now look for highly rated albums from any decade beyond and before and usually from any country but Britain considering my past listening habits.
livinginthepast View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 09:31
I'm 16 :D
I listen to alot more "old" music then new prog tho :)
Classics are usually better to my ears then new prog, but I still enjoy listening to alot of "new" prog bands like PTree, Riverside,etc

:D
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 09:00
I am way too old to be here in this thread but it makes me feel younger every time.
idiotPrayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 08:47
when i was 12 i started listening to metal, that soon led to prog metal and porcupine tree and other prog, but most importantly to steven wilson and to bass communion and experimental music. now i'm 16 and i listen to good alternative &pop (radiohead) and experimental music (electronica and ambient stuff) and some prog too. but i cant really listen to any "prog" (i'm not sayin prog influenced music) other than 70's stuff. also not much metal these days.

funny thing though, back when i was a metalhead i used to listen to meshuggah, they were ok, but as my interest in metal decreased my interest in meshuggah increased. now they're one of the few metal bands i listen to but THE best metal band, "I" is THE best metal album ever.
mmmreesescups View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2011 at 16:46
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I'm 41. Here is a breakdown of the music that I loved the most during various phases of life. I was at the transition to adulthood when progmetal started blooming.

6-7: Elton John
8-10: Yes, ELP, JT, Deep Purple...stuff in my dads collection he did not listen to much
10-11: Devo, AOR like Foreigner and Pet Benatar
12-13: Discovered Black Sabbath: Dominated my listening. Iron Maiden was the alternate.
14-15: Continued listening to Sabbath, but also discovered the high energy of punk. Specifically hard core like Circle Jerks,Black Flag, DRI.
16-18: Heard my first Venom album which opened the door to the crossover(punk/metal) scene. Metallica, Slayer etc., played in a punk band myself as well.
19-26: Reacquainted with the oldschool prog. Discovered King Crimson. Learned that Genesis was not just a disgusting pop band(seriously, hadn't heard the old stuff. Discovered a number of bands from exotic places that I was not exposed to, Italy specifically. Progmetal was a big part of that. Watchtower made a big impression on me. The punk listening was pretty much gone. Metallica's black album put me off them for years.
27-30: Missed the aggression of Death Metal and the like. Discovered Meshuggah! Maintained my love for classic prog, discovered Magma.
31-now: The internet has exposed me to so many new things either brand new or older stuff that did not get enough distribution in my youth. I listen to just about all styles, but I'm fairly particular about what I listen to within a genre. I think if I had internet in my teens my musical exposure would have been much different and I would have skipped a lot of more 'mainstream' including the better known prog and progmetal. Had I known about Cynic, Atheist, Meshuggah etc. earlier, Dream Theater would have never made it to my collection.

So, obviously music has changed since my teens, but how we are exposed to it has changed as well. 

Yeah Meshuggah!!
Magma was a nice discovery for me too and I feel the same way about DT.
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2011 at 12:50
Can I just say that it's all great, and I don't judge anything by the genre? Or is that not what I'm supposed to say?
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 11:54
I'm 41. Here is a breakdown of the music that I loved the most during various phases of life. I was at the transition to adulthood when progmetal started blooming.

6-7: Elton John
8-10: Yes, ELP, JT, Deep Purple...stuff in my dads collection he did not listen to much
10-11: Devo, AOR like Foreigner and Pet Benatar
12-13: Discovered Black Sabbath: Dominated my listening. Iron Maiden was the alternate.
14-15: Continued listening to Sabbath, but also discovered the high energy of punk. Specifically hard core like Circle Jerks,Black Flag, DRI.
16-18: Heard my first Venom album which opened the door to the crossover(punk/metal) scene. Metallica, Slayer etc., played in a punk band myself as well.
19-26: Reacquainted with the oldschool prog. Discovered King Crimson. Learned that Genesis was not just a disgusting pop band(seriously, hadn't heard the old stuff. Discovered a number of bands from exotic places that I was not exposed to, Italy specifically. Progmetal was a big part of that. Watchtower made a big impression on me. The punk listening was pretty much gone. Metallica's black album put me off them for years.
27-30: Missed the aggression of Death Metal and the like. Discovered Meshuggah! Maintained my love for classic prog, discovered Magma.
31-now: The internet has exposed me to so many new things either brand new or older stuff that did not get enough distribution in my youth. I listen to just about all styles, but I'm fairly particular about what I listen to within a genre. I think if I had internet in my teens my musical exposure would have been much different and I would have skipped a lot of more 'mainstream' including the better known prog and progmetal. Had I known about Cynic, Atheist, Meshuggah etc. earlier, Dream Theater would have never made it to my collection.

So, obviously music has changed since my teens, but how we are exposed to it has changed as well. 

Edited by Tapfret - February 14 2011 at 11:55
silcir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 11:15
im 24, and it's true i listened to more prog metal in my teens than i listen now ( note that when i say i listened more, it doesnt mean i listened to lots of prog metal, it was still minority in comparison to other genres). I remember i thought that metal in general was mostly crap, i hated metallica for instance (until i found the 80's stuff, i was 15 when that garbage album came out,i dont remember its name, and only knew of the black album, which didnt give me a good impression), i did like DT and queensryche, i dont care about them nowadays.
ThaNuke View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2011 at 15:11
Eh, I'm 15 and my favorite bands are Rush, Yes, King Crimson, and Camel.
WON'T YOU COME INTO MY ROOM

I WANNA SHOW YOU ALL MY WARES
Baby Snakes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2011 at 06:41
I was sorta half and half when it came to prog when I was below 18 (I'm 21 now).  I've been a die hard Queen fan since I was ten.  I listened to Kansas non stop when I was thirteen.  Then I got into Symphony X, for the last two years of high school that dominated my listening, along with King Diamond.  Then right before I turned 18 I found out about Atheist.

When I got to college; however, it was all about King Crimson, Yes, and Frank Zappa.  Ever since then I've been more in tune with prog rock than prog metal.  I didn't find out about Gentle Giant until I started posting here, and I've been obsessed with them ever since.  I think for me it's because I've always had a connection with classic rock guitar because most prog metal bands don't seem to do it for me in the tone department.  It just feels like (granted this is a personal view) that most modern prog metal bands don't do enough to differentiate their instrumental tone, and instead rely more on composition (not that it's a bad thing).  This brings me out of prog metal.  Granted, I know there are other modern things besides prog metal, but I haven't had a guide to tell me what is good besides what is bad, so I stick to classic just because I know there will be material I can relate to, and there is so much I haven't gotten to explore.  Post-rock and modern prog rock never stuck with me, but I'm willing to give it another chance.  Just give me some bands, and I'll listen to em.  
JakeMM626 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2011 at 16:07
I'm 20 and Genesis is my favorite band. Even as a high schooler I was crazy about Genesis, Yes, Rush, and Visible Wind. My mom is a big-time prog head and had me listening to Prog before I could even understand words.
mEP View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2011 at 15:11

Edited by mEP - April 21 2018 at 06:48
javier0889 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2011 at 15:09
I'm 21 now. But when I was a teenager I used to listen to prog rock and metal, as I do now... But Prog metal wasn't a big deal for me, with the exception of Opeth, a band I discovered like 6 years ago. I used to listen to DT from time to time back then, but "prog metal" for me was too similar to power metal... a genre I don't like.  Bands like Pain of Salvation, Fates Warning,. Ayreon and Symphony X are somewhat new for me... I discovered them like 2 years ago, and I like them, but I think I'll always prefer classic prog rock to prog metal. I've tried, but I can't like Riverside. In fact, I think they're kinda overrated...

And the fun fact is that most of the prog metalheads could be easily the fathers of all the younger people who have posted here LOL

Edited by javier0889 - February 12 2011 at 15:10
http://www.last.fm/user/javier0889
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2011 at 00:30
This is interesting.  When I was 15 (back in 1978) I was listening to the catalogs of ELP, Yes, Crimson, Genesis, the Nice, and Peter Hammil.    I had albums by Klaus Schulze, Synergy, Tangerine Dream, and Peter Bauman, which weren't really prog but considered electronic music (at least had all those by 16).  Because there was no Internet, all the more obscure stuff like Gong and Magma was not in my circle.  That would be an interesting thread, what were the old timers listening to when they were younger than 18.
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Anirml View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 07:29
I'm 22 and this and NWOBHM is the only metal I like.
Hail magma the first and best Death Metal band! Big smile

In my book 99.5% of Prog-metal is just Metal with prog alike effects attached to it's sound.

Edited by Anirml - January 13 2011 at 07:30
Xanatos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 18:02
Originally posted by OzzProg OzzProg wrote:

18 here, and what is prog?

The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 16:20
Forgot the ?
La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 16:19

Are you saying girls don't like prog.

La victoire est éphémère mais la gloire est éternelle!

- Napoléon Bonaparte
RabbleGatchet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 01:49
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

I'm surprised how many really young people we have here.Stern Smile

Surel, it's great that you love prog, but...

GET OFF THE INTERNET!!

Go out, go to a gig, have a drink, kiss a girl, do yoga, go fishing, ride a bike, climb a mountain!

Again and again!

(I should be doing it too. I'm on computer because my girlfriend is in bed, snoring badly.)Pinch

Girls are those things they don't have at prog concerts right? Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 33>