FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Chefs Unite!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 110111112113114 156>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2011 at 23:09
is that purple-haired lady in your avy from UFO ?

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2011 at 08:10
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ hard to find really good yogurt

picked me up some corned beef&cabbage stewed with onions, potatoes and carrots in beer, will have it with crusty bread and cheese

My wife made some corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes with carrots for St. Pat's.  Not necessarily prog, but good and smelly. Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 19 2011 at 08:11
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2011 at 14:17
We had a small dinner party yesterday. Because our friend Thanasis came, we couldn’t serve any meat. The menu was:

- green salad with mozzarella, bread and garlic butter
- small quiches with smoked salmon
- soup, soup, beautiful soup! with fennel, leek, carrots, tomatoes, garlic, thyme, chilli, saffron, sole fish, shrimps and black mussels
- home made chocolate and orange cake with home made candied orange peel

They actually ate all the cake. Next time I will tell my guests how much butter and sugar it contains, and then we will probably have leftovers.
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 01:03
got me some Popeye's tonight, spicy of course, plenty of slaw, biscuits & jelly

yum

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 16:42
I'm doing something inspired by this tonight.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 22:54
 ^ MMMM !

how'd it turn out Rob?  you make any noodles or potatoes to put the sauce over?  Big smile

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2011 at 00:59
I'm on a "oh, yeah, I bake my own bread - it's so much better when you know what goes into it..." kick at the moment and had some spectacular successes, such as beer bread and sun-dried tomato bread, but the latest is definitely the star - chili and cheese bread (basic bread mix using seeded unbleached white flour; two red chilies de-seeded and diced before being sautéed for a minute in 1 tbsp of olive oil; and the butter/oil in the basic recipe is replaced with equal quantity of grated cheddar cheese).

At the weekend I had this bread with homemade Smoked Mackerel pate - simple blitz some green peppercorns and some tarragon in a blender, then add two smoked mackerel fillets and two healthy tbsps of mayo, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and a squeeze of lemon juice, then blitz again until smooth.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 00:25
fresh baked bread is a beautiful thing, we used to have a great place that did the kind of cheese and mushroom bread you describe .. and I had a friend (before he died) who baked the most simple but delicious white bread which we'd toast with lots of butter, nothing like it

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 19:54
Not much of a cook personally, but just wanted to mention that the former Wallenstein keyboardist/vocalist Jurgen Dollase is a famous gastronomist and food critic, having written some important things on the subject.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 23:37
Mike Rutherford's Twice-baked Potatoes  (well not really, but you never know..)

4 Russet potatoes
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion and/or a few mushrooms, chopped and pan fried
1 tablespoon sour cream or cheese
salt & pepper
herbs (optional)

Wrap the potatoes in foil and bake in a 450 degree oven for about an hour or until soft to touch.  Carefully remove foil [there'll be hot steam so be cautious] and let potatoes cool.  Saute chopped onion and/or mushrooms in pan on medium heat in a little olive oil till tender.  When potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice in half lengthwise horizontally, cradle one half in hand and scoop out with a spoon leaving about 1/4 inch potato around edge; place scoopings in a large bowl and mash together with butter, onion mixture, sourcream or cheese, herbs, and s&p.  Return potato mixture to each half potato, join each half back together, re-wrap in foil and heat in oven till warm through.  Eat immediately or pack into bags and backpacks for a great lunch on the road.  Bacon or chopped ham also good to add.

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 15:41
My recipe for water is this :

try an find some hydrorgen from somewhere. M y first guess wold be in the atmosphhere. that would be my first cloice..If there is no water avalable there I I,ve heard ther have been water discoveries in Mars. It's far but if you are raelly hngry i wouldn't thimk a few million miles wouldn't be that far off.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 18:04
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

My recipe for water is this :

try an find some hydrorgen from somewhere. M y first guess wold be in the atmosphhere. that would be my first cloice..If there is no water avalable there I I,ve heard ther have been water discoveries in Mars. It's far but if you are raelly hngry i wouldn't thimk a few million miles wouldn't be that far off.
Tish-tish Ian, as a pilot you should know better than this - hydrogen is too light to exist as a free gas in the atmosphere - any hydrogen released into the atmosphere will float off into space. If you can find some hydrochloric acid (stomach acid) or sulphuric acid (battery acid) then the hydrogen can be extracted from that by adding some iron, alternatively (and by far a simpler way) would be to pass an electrical current through a bucket of water - hydrogen will be released from the cathode (negative pole) and more importantly, oxygen from the anode (positive pole). Another (less expensive) way would be to pass steam over some pure carbon - the problem with that is you get your hydrogen, but now the oxygen is locked to the carbon as carbon monoxide - which isn't so useful.

Anyway, if it's water you are after, I've some dehydrated stuff I'm willing to part with for a price...

Edited by Dean - June 02 2011 at 18:05
What?
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2011 at 13:58
Name it.

actually a lot of we learned was forgotten. It was a good thing I lew with navigators that saved my life on more than one occasion. The navs were usually better educated than us pilots. We were in physical control of the airplane but they were in tactical and strategic control. Will the One Eleven it was the nav who handled the comms and made most of the vital judgements, They never got the credit that they deserved.

Here is my latest concoction :

Itn is a modern dish, I call it Cheetah/ Elvis blowdryer fusion.

Ingredients :

! Elvis blowdryer
I Cheetah
1Ted Nugent

First when in able to prepare this fine dish you need Ted Nugent to go out with his crossbow and hunt dow the very elusive Cheetah one of the most respected members of the cat family. The successful capture and humane killing of this regal creature is only the first obsacle in this culinary adventure, Locaing an Elnis blowdryer might prove to be a wee bit more difficult unless that is if you have access to the Graceland museum of everything Elvis.

Let's assume that you have overcome all of the difficulies of acquiring the ingredients.Nowyou need a big pot. and a huge meat grinder. From this stage it is pretty simple. Throw everthing into the meat grinder then afterwards throw into a deeep fryer adjusted at 275 degrees farenheit an then just serve it up after it has spent 12 minutes in a deep fried state.

Don't forget the guest comment cards,

Edited by Vibrationbaby - June 06 2011 at 14:17
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2011 at 09:42
Still on the bread making lark, moved on to pizza dough - this thing makes the best pizza I've tasted in a long time, as regulars of this thread will know, I'm not a fan of pizza, but this has made me a convert. I've been experimenting with adding Parmesan cheese and sun-dried tomatoes into the dough and then cooking that as a calzone pizza with homemade tomato sauce, mozzarella, red-onion, bell-peppers, mushrooms and lots of pepperoni. Definitely not going to a pizzeria ever again after eating this - how those places can get it so wrong when it's this easy is something I don't understand.

I've just polished off a plate of sweet bread with plenty of butter (to hell with the cholesterol count today - I'll be good tomorrow...) - this one was made with freshly squeezed orange juice instead of the normal water content, pieces of dried pineapple and some crystallised kiwi fruit I made at Christmas ago. Making the kiwi was a palaver, but well worth it - peeled and sliced kiwi was boiled in sugar and water for 3 minutes a day over several days, increasing the concentration of sugar each day until it was a thick and sticky syrup and the kiwi had turned translucent. The kiwi was then removed and left to dry on a cake cooling rack until it was completely dry - what you are left with is pieces of kiwi that are practically 99% sugar that just explode with intense kiwi flavour when you bite them. The left-over syrup was pretty spectacular too - just diluted with soda water and served over ice, or used to replace the sugar in a daiquiri.

Speaking of drinks... I think I've found the recipe for Jamie Oliver's home made Herbal Cola I tried at his "15" restaurant in Cornwall, to be fair to its real creator, I should call it Tristan Stephenson’s Herbal Cola ... http://uktv.co.uk/food/chef/aid/588920 as he is the owner of the bar in the 15 restaurant. I've made the syrup but not tasted it yet as I've run out of soda water - the only concern is the colour which hasn't the pinkish tinge of the original, I guess that's down to the lavender flowers I used, but it certainly smells right. Can't wait to taste it.

I've also "brewed" a few gallons of elderflower champagne as I do every year - this year my Elder 'Black Beauty' has produced a mass of delicate purple flowers so they went into the mash instead of the normal hedgerow white variety - it's not ready yet (another few days) so I don't know whether it is a success or failure.

I've been meaning to start a ginger beer plant for years as I really like ginger beer as a soft drink and get through litres of the stuff every summer (latest favourite is Levi Root's Reggae Reggae Reggae Ginger Ale) - perhaps this year is the year I'll finally do it.

Delving through my scraps of recipes I found an old recipe for pickled garlic given to me several years ago by a friend's mother (much to my friend's chagrin as she had been trying to get the recipe from her mum for years) - another really simple recipe that defies belief - 10 garlic bulbs peeled, 1 pint of white wine vinegar, 4 oz of honey (Lynn was a beekeeper - you can use sugar if you must) and a teaspoon of salt - boil the vinegar, salt and honey in a pan until it's smooth and simmering - add the garlic and simmer for 5 minutes - allow to cool and store in kilner jars (or screw-top jars) for at least a month. These little treasures are wonderful and sweet and not overpowering like raw garlic would be, really moreish.

I've also fired up the smoker a couple of times this year so far - a lightly hot-smoked salmon fillet that just melted in the mouth and (still my favourite) some smoked duck breast. I also air-cured some duck breast to make duck-ham, which was more like bresaola than ham and was great served with balsamic vinegar on some fresh-baked bread (made using traditional stone-ground seeded bread flour from the Wessex Mill company - delicious) and of course I'm still producing salmon and trout gravad lax, though the trout is still the winner there, the salmon goes on to be cold smoked as that is the more robust of the two fish and smoking would kill the delicate flavour of the trout (and I do like smoked salmon).

What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2011 at 21:55
the pickled garlic sounds great, I loved pickled anything, another interesting variation is preserved lemons;

quarter 4 or 5 lemons (you can leave them attached at one end by not cutting all the way if you want), rub some salt inside each lemon and pack them tightly in a glass jar, add a bit more salt and enough lemon juice to cover lemons.  Let sealed jar stand unrefrigerated for at least 10 days inverting jar every day or so.  Store in fridge, will keep a very long time and can be used in sauces, meat or veggie salads, stews, etc.  You could also add a cinnamon stick or cloves for extra flavor.

glitterbags View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Spam Chef

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2011 at 01:07
macaroni cheese is on the table today. and fruit salad is for dessert, not the canned fruits but the fresh ones. ordinary preparations for my previous meals, but after viewing the Food network using my dish network offers, its like cooking like a chef all day long.

You can go to Food network for other options
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2011 at 05:01
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

the pickled garlic sounds great, I loved pickled anything, another interesting variation is preserved lemons;

quarter 4 or 5 lemons (you can leave them attached at one end by not cutting all the way if you want), rub some salt inside each lemon and pack them tightly in a glass jar, add a bit more salt and enough lemon juice to cover lemons.  Let sealed jar stand unrefrigerated for at least 10 days inverting jar every day or so.  Store in fridge, will keep a very long time and can be used in sauces, meat or veggie salads, stews, etc.  You could also add a cinnamon stick or cloves for extra flavor.

That's the recipe I use to preserve lemons, Approve excellent in Moroccan tajine and tanjia.
What?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2011 at 17:23
Rump roast with potatoes, carrots, and onions with French bread and Merlot.

Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2011 at 02:53
 ^ oh ...  yeah

Pork butt chili tonight, slow-cooked with onions, garlic, chipotles, beer, brown sugar, tomatoes, kidney beans, and plenty of spice

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2011 at 02:58
^ mmm, and ^^ mmmm - roast and chili - can't beat either of those - tonight it's "standard" beef chili (with chocolate of course) served with the spiced butter from this recipe - I've tried the chili from that recipe but the star anise kills it stone dead for me.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 110111112113114 156>