FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in unexpected public places.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 62>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fox On The Rocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2012 at 16:03
Not sure if this counts, but in the movie Empire Records, you can see the a large Nursery Cryme album cover on one of the walls in the record store.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2012 at 16:13
While strolling through a Woolco store in Ottawa, Canada in the late 80s, a video screen was playing Rush doing "Closer To The Heart" from a concert in 1977. (I saw them on that very tour in Ottawa in April '77)
larm73 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larm73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2012 at 16:05
I was watching Apollo 18 (terrible movie) last night and parts of 'And You And I' were played 3 times during the film.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2012 at 08:49
Not prog exactly, but last year I was in the Boston airport, and I noticed the music on the PA was "Vanishing Girl" by the Dukes of Stratosphear (XTC side project).  That floored me.  I tried to impart to my traveling companions how f-ed up that was.  Maybe they got it, I don't know.

Edited by HolyMoly - January 08 2012 at 08:50
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2012 at 06:36

Green Lantern comic made me laugh!
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2012 at 06:32
When I worked in a video hire store in the 80s I remember the manageress always putting on one particular musical video cos she wanted music to work with. It was always on and drove me and customers crazy and I had no idea who it was. - The video I discovered later was Jethro Tull Live!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2012 at 06:17
Yesterday, as we were walking out of the Queens Elizabeth Hall after seeing The Spagetti Western Orchestra play the spaghetti westerns soundtracks of Ennio Moricone, Peaches En Regalia was being played over the PA.
What?
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bj-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2012 at 10:09
After the cancellation of a Mats/Morgan gig in Oslo a few years ago, Norwegian RIO outfit Panzerpappa arranged a consolation concert at a pub the same evening, and before they begun to play there was loads of RIO/Avant going over the speakers in the pub (picked out by the band and fans) including 5uu's, Samla Mammas Manna, Thinking Plague etc. Maybe not very unexpecting but definitely a nice listening experience.
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fox On The Rocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2012 at 16:58
Originally posted by Slaughternalia Slaughternalia wrote:

Q107, the classic rock station around here plays all of horizons and supper's ready every christmas. No joke

Hey no way! I listen to the mighty Q all the time. It's a great station that plays Prog once every blue moon on Psychedelic Sundays, if any time. You must live in the greater Toronto area as well. I do remember being totally suprised when I heard Horizons and Supper's Ready about a year and one month ago on Q107. They were playing there classic albums side segment on Psychedelic Sunday. Your right though, I guess they do play Side 2 of Foxtrot every Christmas, though I didn't hear it this year. I've heard them play Musical Box and Carpet Crawlers before but that's about it.
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2012 at 15:49
Yeah I was at a Campus Crusade conference in Indianapolis last week and during one of the night sessions we had like a battle of the school competition games. During the competitions Liquid Tension Experiment was played. I could not believe my ears. I personally thank the audio guy after it. On top of a great day at the conference that happened:)
Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slaughternalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2012 at 11:13
Q107, the classic rock station around here plays all of horizons and supper's ready every christmas. No joke

Edited by Slaughternalia - January 04 2012 at 11:14
I'm so mad that you enjoy a certain combination of noises that I don't
desistindo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desistindo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2012 at 11:10
Two months a go my brother got married. He is a big fan of prog, so the tracks for the entrance of the guests, bride, godfathers, brothers and family in the church was pratical all prog. My entrance was with Steve Hackettīs "The lovers", from  Voyage of the Aclyte. My parents got Focus III and the couple entered with parts of KCīs Island!!

It was superb, althought some of you could think it was kind of chessy (i would agree a little, but i think none of the other guests knew the songs were "prog")
fuyuakiworld View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fuyuakiworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2011 at 22:43
A few years ago i was at this Chuckie Chesses kinda place, only for a more broad age group and heard Closer to the Heart. I know that it's kinda popular, but still.
Zombywoof View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zombywoof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2011 at 21:16
Originally posted by purplesnake purplesnake wrote:

I was busking for the salvation army last week, playing flute with a friend, when this guy comes a long and asks me if I can play aqualung. I was like O_O

I know how you feel. I get asked to play "Locomotive Breath" everytime we play out!
Continue the prog discussion here: http://zombyprog.proboards.com/index.cgi ...
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2011 at 21:14
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Well this was unexpected!

Wow, for a while I thought of Rihanna playing a cover of CAN...a sort of nightmare....

Well, she does seem to have a fine can.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
purplesnake View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purplesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2011 at 21:00
I was busking for the salvation army last week, playing flute with a friend, when this guy comes a long and asks me if I can play aqualung. I was like O_O
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2011 at 00:11
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Well this was unexpected!

Wow, for a while I thought of Rihanna playing a cover of CAN...a sort of nightmare....
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2011 at 23:41
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
ergaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ergaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2011 at 07:26
Some years ago I was taking the kid out for Halloween.  People a couple streets over had their house all decorated and flashing, and "Echoes" blasting down the street.  
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Reality rules, Honor the truth
Chemist99a R.I.P.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2011 at 20:30
I actually heard "Robbery, Assault and Battery" in a bar a few years back.  Think I did a thread about that.  And I once heard Camel's "Nimrodel" playing at the front desk of a hotel.  
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 62>