FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRealm/Steve Vail

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Realm/Steve Vail
    Posted: May 04 2012 at 12:32

Interview with Steve Vail, guitarist and composer of US Symphonic Prog band Realm conducted by Torodd Fuglesteg on 30/4/2012

Realm's PA Profile can be found here

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5799

Why, how and when did you start on your musical journey?

At 6 yrs old—started classical music piano lessons and played recitals and I also took 2 years of drum lessons around this time period. By age 10 I was in my first band THE SHANKS. By high school we were playing state wide at proms & auditoriums 3 to 4 nights a week. In the ELM STREET GROCERY then THE DAYTRIPPERS and school was just kind of in the way –—we changed our name to FLIGHT. When I graduated high school I went to work with HARD LUCK on the east coast for 2 years. Came back to Kansas City and got back with the FLIGHT guys again and we were on the road for 6 years playing 38 US States and Canada.

THE SHANKS

ROADRUNNERS

UNDERTAKERS

ELM STREET GROCERY

DAYTRIPPERS

FLIGHT

HARD LUCK

FLIGHT

NAVIGATOR

REALM

And then started using just my last name.

VAIL

I went to UMKC Conservatory of Music and took Electronic Music courses (76’) –had been using Moog synthesizer for about 4 yrs by then. So that’s when REALM @ 78’ started and recording and writing became my focus. And this was when our first album came out.

Discography would be a 45 RPM first @ 8 yrs prior to album (73’)

Please give me your (long or brief) thoughts and lowdowns on......

Time Tales from 1983

This is a musical representation of mythology and or Von Daniken or more currently Zecharia Sitichin—kinda the first to do Archaeology rock (although some Moody Blues stuff was close)—if you’re into the Anunnaki, UFOS, Ancient aliens, Stonehenge, etc . When the Sumerian gods became the Egyptian gods which became the Greek gods. Sort of like “Clash of the Titans” in music. A conceptual work.

The Path from 1991

This is much more accessible than Time Tales musically as slowed down and more tasty.

This is a concept work as well but more from the American Indian aspect of same subjects as prior work. Sky People and life's journey.

TIME TALES was released under the Vail name and the THE PATH under the REALM name. Please tell us why you changed from Realm to Vail?

TIME TALES sold out and had to repress several times, David Sears, percussionist, had moved to LA and the singer just wasn’t around as well so just changed for represses.

THE PATH

Is still in the first pressing so when I do a repress I will do a digital remix and will be up for the same name change as well!

What are the lyrical topics on your albums and can you describe the creative process from coming up with a theme/riff/idea to you get it down onto an album?

Again I study history & archaeology and that’s where my inspiration comes from Ancient Aliens—the first album I just tried to please myself and the critiques be damned.

PATH is not so hard to listen to. Not so hardcore.

Please tell us more about the other musicians on your albums. Who did what on which albums.

Darrell Studna sang on both works— (no guitar on TIME TALES it’s just keys, vocals and drums 3 piece) Sang & played guitar and bass guitar on THE PATH--

David Sears played percussion on Time Tales

And Lake Furney percussion on THE PATH—3 piece as well

You have been compared a lot to Yes. But just to give those of us who are unknown with your music a bit of a reference point or two: How would you describe your music ?

YES –OLDER GENESIS-ELP

Really we do our own thing but these are really only comparables. But people do seem to use YES as a frame of reference.

Rick Wakeman had signed THE PATH to AMBIENT RECORDS his record label, unfortunately just prior to the label closing over distribution issues.

What is your experience with the music industry and the new internet music scene ?

My label and physical distribution is with SYMPHONIC—Greg Walker—which is the US leader in Prog Rock.

CD Baby, I Tunes, Amazon, my website can accept orders when update is complete—will accept preorders for the new project once all the new changes are done.

Easiest way www.placerpublishing.com which will redirect you straight to my products, or contact me at [email protected] or PO BOX 169, Bonner Springs, KS 66012 USA.

Are you involved in any other bands or projects ?

New upcoming projects

THE FINAL DEMO (99)—CD—untitled to date (pre order when site updated)

And live videos and film & studio documentary on TT with digitally remastered CD-- & DVD—a lot of work to do here

Anything you want to add to this interview ?

Thank You for your interest

KEEP ON PROGRESSIVELY ROCKING—Steve Vail

Edited by ExittheLemming - May 04 2012 at 12:37
 Post Reply Post Reply