Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBob Siebenberg vs Phil Collins (drummer poll)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: who is your favourite drummer
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [9.52%]
36 [85.71%]
1 [2.38%]
1 [2.38%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 07:30
Siebenberg does a good job, but Collins is another league altogether in my opinion. I've heard nothing in Supertramps music that suggests Siebenberg is a technically better drummer.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 07:38
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

Bob is a ver y good drummer actualy, so you are 100% wrong by such inana statement

Well dude, I realize it's all subjective, and Supertramp's music didn't really require that much rhythmic prowess, but his drumming really wasn't that impressive - it just sounds so stale and lacks so much character. It's like he's keeping time more than anything.
Supertramp is probably among the most dynamical complex bands in prog with the total control of high and low sand the dynamical spectrum of rock music, Bobs drumming is enhancing that drummer like a pro orchestra leading drummer hitting every dynamical ups and downs and creates wonderfull tension in all songs from Crime of the Century towards Breakfast, creative never plays the same thing twice, always adds something new to the drum groove, a new lick a new element in even the shortest songs, like a driving jazz drummer, his right foot is very fast, as fast as Jeff Porcaros, just check his bass drum triplets on Babaji, he moves along in cascades and is very solid drummer, good syncopation, and Supertramp is more about orchestration then virtuosity . more like a musical or an opera then a classical piece, with stanzas and  codas and climaxes.

I would really like to hear a trained academic musician pin down the interesting elelemtns of Supertramps music cause there is compositional really interesting elements in their music. which is unique solely to Supertramp in rock.

and that is caused by the effect of all the 5 members understanding of each other and their strength and knowledge on the instruments Bob, Dougie's and Johns combined backing band work is in some cases sublime. massive wall of sound, elegant, playfull, varied and creative, one of the most original and in-tuned bands in rock.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 07:40
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Siebenberg does a good job, but Collins is another league altogether in my opinion. I've heard nothing in Supertramps music that suggests Siebenberg is a technically better drummer.
it is not only the technique that qualifies a good drummer,  touch, powerhouse ability, flexibility, creativity, originality, solidness, good sound, play emotional a dn both Phil and Bob managa that.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 14:25
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

it is not only the technique that qualifies a good drummer,  touch, powerhouse ability, flexibility, creativity, originality, solidness, good sound, play emotional a dn both Phil and Bob managa that.

Yes, that's true.

Technicality aside, I generally prefer Collins style..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 13:16
Phil Collins all day long. At his best he was nearly as good as Bill Bruford (praise indeed).
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12