Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171172173174175 294>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 18:26
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

All taxes are immoral.

There.  I said it.

Your libertarian dream society is going to be fun...no electricity...no roads...no modern plumbing...oh, and no teacher jobs either!  Wink LOL

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 18:32
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

Your libertarian dream society is going to be fun...no electricity...no roads...no modern plumbing...oh, and no teacher jobs either!  Wink LOL

Yes, there are no privately paid teachers, no plumbers that don't work for the government, no private roads, and no generators not owned by the state.

Do you seriously believe none of those things could exist without taxes? Seriously? Because they do exist now, you realize.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 18:39

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

All taxes are immoral.

There.  I said it.

Roads didn't require government.
Schools don't require government.   And my six year old reads better than my 9th graders.  Approve
Police didn't require government.
Post offices don't require government.  In fact, ours sucks at it.

I don't care if taxation saved my life.  It's still immoral.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 18:41
My favorite part of that image is the suggestion that we would somehow be unable to coordinate time without the government. It would be impossible to ever keep an appointment! LOL
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 18:43
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Yes, there are no privately paid teachers, no plumbers that don't work for the government, no private roads, and no generators not owned by the state.

Do you seriously believe none of those things could exist without taxes? Seriously? Because they do exist now, you realize.

Do you seriously believe that these things could exist without taxes?  Seriously? Because they do exist now, you realize.  And it's because of taxes.  We have electric lines all over the country because of taxes.  We have sewers all throughout our cities and towns because of taxes.  We have a network of roads all over the country because of taxes.  You really think that without taxes, people would have just built that stuff?  Seriously?

You libertarians really are insane if you think that.  You distrust the government and everybody else and use that distrust to create fear that you manipulate people with in order to convince them of your positions...but you think that without laws and systems of government, society would just be paradise!  Worst.  Logic.  Ever.  You guys are completely insane!  Can't even argue with you because you refuse to acknowledge logic and reality!  Then you try to act all high and mighty like I'm the stupid one - I'm not enlightened enough to see why your ideas are better.  Don't know why I even bother trying.  Oh yeah, it's because I'm an optimist who never gives up hope.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 18:44

My favorite part of that image is the suggestion that we would somehow be unable to coordinate time without the government. It would be impossible to ever keep an appointment! LOL

Sure, we could do it now...AFTER the government regulated things so that there was a standard system of time.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 18:54

Do you seriously believe that these things could exist without taxes?  Seriously? Because they do exist now, you realize.  And it's because of taxes.  We have electric lines all over the country because of taxes.  We have sewers all throughout our cities and towns because of taxes.  We have a network of roads all over the country because of taxes.  You really think that without taxes, people would have just built that stuff?  Seriously?

You libertarians really are insane if you think that.  You distrust the government and everybody else and use that distrust to create fear that you manipulate people with in order to convince them of your positions...but you think that without laws and systems of government, society would just be paradise!  Worst.  Logic.  Ever.  You guys are completely insane!  Can't even argue with you because you refuse to acknowledge logic and reality!  Then you try to act all high and mighty like I'm the stupid one - I'm not enlightened enough to see why your ideas are better.  Don't know why I even bother trying.  Oh yeah, it's because I'm an optimist who never gives up hope.

First of all, stop misrepresenting my position by saying "paradise." You've been told multiple times. We are not utopians. No system is perfect.

Second, you missed my point entirely, because I pointed out (assisted by data from Rob) that those things exist now WITHOUT public funding. You have never heard of private schools?

Third, of course people would do those things without government. They have. Without government, we would not abandon all efforts to tell time, to travel from one destination to another, to manage waste, or any of the other things you mention. Why would we just give up and hang our heads in despair? here are millions of examples of people doing things as group to improve their lives without using coercion. There are volunteer fire departments, there are private mail services like FedEx and UPS, there are privately built, owned and operated roads. There are private security companies, private detectives. The list goes on and on.

I don't think you're stupid. I think you make no effort to even think about the points we are trying to make. I appreciate a good debate, but it's hard when the other person ignores your arguments and asserts the same fallacies over and over again (see the utopia point above.)

Just think about all the things that exist today without public funding. Why do you assume that other companies couldn't arise in the absence of a government monopoly? Have you really thought about it, or do you just assume that because the government does it, it could not be done in any other way?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 18:55

Sure, we could do it now...AFTER the government regulated things so that there was a standard system of time.

http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com/phpBB-3.0.11/phpBB3/images/smilies/smiley-angry035.gif
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 18:57

Actually, standard time was established by a private company in Britain, the Great Western Railway.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 18:57
Geoff you should know better than to even enter this thread LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 19:29

First of all, stop misrepresenting my position by saying "paradise." You've been told multiple times. We are not utopians. No system is perfect.

Second, you missed my point entirely, because I pointed out (assisted by data from Rob) that those things exist now WITHOUT public funding. You have never heard of private schools?

Third, of course people would do those things without government. They have. Without government, we would not abandon all efforts to tell time, to travel from one destination to another, to manage waste, or any of the other things you mention. Why would we just give up and hang our heads in despair? here are millions of examples of people doing things as group to improve their lives without using coercion. There are volunteer fire departments, there are private mail services like FedEx and UPS, there are privately built, owned and operated roads. There are private security companies, private detectives. The list goes on and on.

I don't think you're stupid. I think you make no effort to even think about the points we are trying to make. I appreciate a good debate, but it's hard when the other person ignores your arguments and asserts the same fallacies over and over again (see the utopia point above.)

Just think about all the things that exist today without public funding. Why do you assume that other companies couldn't arise in the absence of a government monopoly? Have you really thought about it, or do you just assume that because the government does it, it could not be done in any other way?

The point is that we would have none of these things as systems that wrap around the entire country if it weren't for government.  Progress has been made in multiple forms because of government.  Ok, fine, you have private schools.  They're expensive.  And we have lots of single parents.  So they'll just have to have ignorant kids, huh?  Their families will forevermore be imprisoned in an unjust system where the only way to get out of poverty is to have money, huh?  Your system sucks.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 19:48

The point is that we would have none of these things as systems that wrap around the entire country if it weren't for government.  Progress has been made in multiple forms because of government.  Ok, fine, you have private schools.  They're expensive.  And we have lots of single parents.  So they'll just have to have ignorant kids, huh?  Their families will forevermore be imprisoned in an unjust system where the only way to get out of poverty is to have money, huh?  Your system sucks.

Why are private schools so expensive? The free public schools that don't have to worry about turning a profit make competing for low-income families impossible. If there were no public schools, prices would come down as private schools tried to reach that market. Before mandatory education, schools were operated by volunteers anyway, so there's no reason to assume they could not be again. Finally, education at home works very well.

Why are there so many single parents? There didn't use to be. Maybe it's because the government has reduced the incentives to have a cohesive family. Single parenthood is a big cause of poverty too, you know.

The government doesn't prevent poverty. It prevents people from rising out of poverty by making it hard to earn money. You have to get a government license to be a street performer, you have to get a government license to cut hair, to sell flowers, to be a decorator, on and on. These things cost time and money the very poor don't have. To start your own business is a paperwork nightmare that can take months. Trying to sell food is insane due to FDA regulations. You can't cook in your own home and sell your wares because of zoning laws. Food trucks are under attack from the restaurant lobby. If you try to hire an employee, you have to pay him minimum wage, plus a bunch of other hiring regulations that make it unattractive to employ people. They are trying to pass an internet tax that will make it hard to make money selling things on the internet, an incredibly easy way for poor people to make money now,. No wonder no one has a job! Then if you do manage to make money, they take it away from you and call it "paying your fair share."

I concede that progress has been made because of the government, but you can't say that it wouldn't have been made in the government's absence. You make a lot of assumptions, but you don't explain why you make them.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 19:56

Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

I don't see how it's relevant whether I could get the people of a country to give their system up.  Libertarians have been trying and failing to do that for years.  It doesn't prove us wrong.

No, but it does prove that we're pretty stupid over here to say such systems are invented by Satan himself.

Never said they were invented by Satan.  Rather, they were invented and are sustained by human beings, who are by nature flawed. 

The government is not mommy and daddy.  They do not have our best interests in mind.  They want power and money, and lots of it.  I am calling them bad because they are bad.  I am criticizing the threat of imprisonment because they are imprisoning people who do not deserve to be imprisoned.  There's no emotional manipulation about it.  It's a fact that the US government is one of the most corrupt institutions in the world.

Sure, I won't deny our government is seriously messed up.  I'd argue that it's gotten that way after people like Reagan started to tear apart our safety nets and give special tax breaks to the rich.  But the illogical conclusion you make is that it's impossible that we could make the government any better.  That's a pretty depressing viewpoint, and doesn't match up to the hopeful attitude I think a Christian should have.
You do see the problem with using the "on threat of imprisonment" line to convince someone that something is bad, right?  For instance, I might say we should get rid of the laws against murder.  You say "are you mad?"  I say "you really think it's right that the government enforces such laws ON THREAT OF IMPRISONMENT?!"  It's not logical.  It's just emotional manipulation, and when I pair it with something like murder, it shows just how silly of a line it is.

Logan already answered your first point.  I will merely echo his statement.

On your second: I already answered it, but I will do so again.  Yes, I think we should throw murderers and thieves and rapists in jail.  This is because they have encroached on another person or their property.  I do not think that we should throw people in jail who do not encroached on other people or their property.  Therefore, I will criticize the government's threat of imprisonment to those who perform actions that do not threaten people or their property.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 20:51

Why are private schools so expensive? The free public schools that don't have to worry about turning a profit make competing for low-income families impossible. If there were no public schools, prices would come down as private schools tried to reach that market. Before mandatory education, schools were operated by volunteers anyway, so there's no reason to assume they could not be again. Finally, education at home works very well.

Yeah, go ahead.  Keep worshiping your free market idol.  If we just sacrifice all to him, life will be wonderful.

Once again, I must insist - you show me a country where they have no public schools whatsoever and things are peachy, and I'll think about listening to your idea.

On your second: I already answered it, but I will do so again.  Yes, I think we should throw murderers and thieves and rapists in jail.  This is because they have encroached on another person or their property.  I do not think that we should throw people in jail who do not encroached on other people or their property.  Therefore, I will criticize the government's threat of imprisonment to those who perform actions that do not threaten people or their property.

Ah, ok.  So let's think about this...in order to throw murderers and thieves and rapists in jail, what will we need?  Hmmm...probably...police...and probably courts and judges....  So, in order to have those things, what will we need?  TAXES!

Gosh, you Libertarians...I can't even think of a good word to describe you...Libertarians will have to suffice!  It's complete insanity!  "Taxes are evil!  Regulation is evil!  Imprisonment by the government is evil!  But we should imprison rapists and murderers and thieves...with our magical non-government police force run by unicorns and paid for by rainbows!"
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 21:32

Yeah, go ahead.  Keep worshiping your free market idol.  If we just sacrifice all to him, life will be wonderful.

Once again, I must insist - you show me a country where they have no public schools whatsoever and things are peachy, and I'll think about listening to your idea.

Homeschooling has been practiced throughout history, and with the resources available to parents today, it's even easier.  The public school system has been developing in America for hundreds of years but most schools were locally run in the early days.  Most Swedish schools are municipally run; that's not technically "private" but it's a far cry from the centralized education system we have here. 

Ah, ok.  So let's think about this...in order to throw murderers and thieves and rapists in jail, what will we need?  Hmmm...probably...police...and probably courts and judges....  So, in order to have those things, what will we need?  TAXES!

Gosh, you Libertarians...I can't even think of a good word to describe you...Libertarians will have to suffice!  It's complete insanity!  "Taxes are evil!  Regulation is evil!  Imprisonment by the government is evil!  But we should imprison rapists and murderers and thieves...with our magical non-government police force run by unicorns and paid for by rainbows!"

I never said that taxation was evil.  I don't think it is, although I see others' points on the issue.  Libertarian opinion is diverse, and, as I mentioned before, most of us hold very nuanced views and we don't agree on all issues.

I don't believe in no government or no taxation, merely in limited government and limited taxation, restricted to funding the proper functions of government outlined in the constitution.  Government could still exist without taxation, however.  As Pat (Equality) has pointed out before, if people want the services offered by the government, they will be willing to pay for them.  We already have government programs (like PBS) run by donations.  And who would be funding the majority of the government in that case?  It would be the rich, who would be willing to pay big bucks for an institution with the power to defend their wealth.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 21:48

There exist private security firms and private detectives (police). There exist private adjudicators of disputes (courts and judges.) You continually jump to the conclusion that because something IS provided by the government it MUST be provided by the government or not at all. There is no reason to think that and history has shown that it is not the case.
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 01:58

There exist private security firms and private detectives (police). There exist private adjudicators of disputes (courts and judges.)

I think we've been over this point a few months ago. Imagine I'm filthy rich. So rich in fact that I can form my own security firm whose only purpose is to protect me under any circumstances. Now imagine you're poor, so you can only afford basic protection for a low price. Now what happens if, for whatever reason, I decide to kill you (or steal from you, or whatever)? Do you think your security firm would spend time and effort on getting me into jail when I have a privately financed army behind me?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 05:16

Homeschooling has been practiced throughout history, and with the resources available to parents today, it's even easier.  The public school system has been developing in America for hundreds of years but most schools were locally run in the early days.  Most Swedish schools are municipally run; that's not technically "private" but it's a far cry from the centralized education system we have here. 

Once again, I will return to the point I keep making: what about the single parents who don't make enough to be able to afford private school?  See, in order to be a good Libertarian, you basically have to be a jerk.  You have to not have an empathetic bone in your body.  I have empathy, therefore I cannot be a Libertarian.  I look at the number of people who couldn't afford private schools and the single parents and think to myself that public school is necessary.  And I'm glad that the rest of society has not yet bought into your Ayn Rand lies.

Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

There exist private security firms and private detectives (police). There exist private adjudicators of disputes (courts and judges.)

I think we've been over this point a few months ago. Imagine I'm filthy rich. So rich in fact that I can form my own security firm whose only purpose is to protect me under any circumstances. Now imagine you're poor, so you can only afford basic protection for a low price. Now what happens if, for whatever reason, I decide to kill you (or steal from you, or whatever)? Do you think your security firm would spend time and effort on getting me into jail when I have a privately financed army behind me?

^^ THIS!  THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS!!!!!

God, you people are stubborn.  Honestly, your whole system is built on the Ayn Rand idea of selfishness as a virtue: if I don't use it, I shouldn't pay for it.  If I don't WANT to pay for it, I shouldn't have to pay for it.  So in a society built on these ideas, you honestly think that the people who can afford to set up private security systems are going to SHARE?!!!!  Seriously?!!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 05:42
Conservative Libertarians remind me of a group of Trekkies arguing back and forth about how a phaser works, or how it is that the Enterprise was able to make a modification to a photon torpedo that they could fire into a black hole and close it up, etc.  This is why I keep insisting you show me a country where your ideas are actually being practiced with some success - otherwise we're just arguing over fictional fantasies, and anything can happen in fictional fantasies.  Spock can be raised back to life in a fictional fantasy.  Or we can have a functional society that has no taxes whatsoever and hasn't degraded into barbaric cavemen bonking women over the head with clubs and dragging them back to their caves despite the fact that there's no police force or any kind of enforcement (because imprisonment is bad).
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 05:46

See, in order to be a good Libertarian, you basically have to be a jerk.  You have to not have an empathetic bone in your body.

God, you people are stubborn. 

I think you should take a break from posting here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 171172173174175 294>