Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dream Theater: Prog innovators or merely imitators
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDream Theater: Prog innovators or merely imitators

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TradeMark0 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 22:30
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

[QUOTE=Prog Snob]
I think 10% less on the guitar and more on the others would likely make this band a lot better.

That's an idea, though ... please mind that!
A good idea...

but the problem lies in the fact that much Dream Theater's music is riff oriented. It mainly consists of guitar riffs and solos and sometimes the same with the keyboard. The occasional orchestration is nice although sounds as though it was ripped right out of a movie score. 

I don't really care anymore about weather or not a band is "good" like I used to. I'm much more interested in what they are doing with their art, and Dream Theater is uninteresting to me.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 00:46
I say Innovators for their early days, the albums with Kevin Moore; back then they were quite unique; surely, they had all sorts of influences, but then again who hasn't. All those influences put together made something new. Images and Words and Awake were and still are great albums that for better or worse, made a new progressive metal sound back then.
Prog Snob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 00:06
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I say Innovators for their early days, the albums with Kevin Moore; back then they were quite unique; surely, they had all sorts of influences, but then again who hasn't. All those influences put together made something new. Images and Words and Awake were and still are great albums that for better or worse, made a new progressive metal sound back then.

Never leave out Metropolis 2 and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. Those are two must-haves for anyone wanting to get into Dream Theater and right up there with Images & Words and Awake.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 00:35
Originally posted by Prog Snob Prog Snob wrote:

Never leave out Metropolis 2 and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. Those are two must-haves for anyone wanting to get into Dream Theater and right up there with Images & Words and Awake.

The question here is not which are DT's best works, or must haves, it's whether they innovated or just imitated.
Early 90s, or at least first half of the 90s, what DT was doing was unique, so I say innovators. I remember when I listened to A Change of Seasons back in '95 or '96, I was blown away. Nobody was doing epics back then, they had guts I say. Wink

Innitially, as a demo, Metropolis 2 was an epic the size of ACoS, the idea even came when they were recording FII in '97. Once they came up with a story, they made what was to be SFAM.

Prog Snob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 00:55
Indeed and I do think the actual track of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is probably the last truly amazing thing they did. The song runs the gamut and the lyrical content is just as good. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying they haven't made anything good since then, but if we're talking innovation and something stellar, 6DOIT should definitely be mentioned.

Metropolis 2 was actually supposed to be part of a double-disc set included on Falling Into Infinity but the label thought making a double CD would be in poor taste.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 22:25

The question here is not which are DT's best works, or must haves, it's whether they innovated or just imitated.
Early 90s, or at least first half of the 90s, what DT was doing was unique, so I say innovators. I remember when I listened to A Change of Seasons back in '95 or '96, I was blown away. Nobody was doing epics back then, they had guts I say. Wink

Innitially, as a demo, Metropolis 2 was an epic the size of ACoS, the idea even came when they were recording FII in '97. Once they came up with a story, they made what was to be SFAM.

Yeah, I heard that instrumental demo. As it is, I don't really prefer it over the final product, but if it had been finished as such, and added vocals, I can see myself loving it, and liking some of the instrumental parts that I don't really like so much standing on their own as separate songs. I can think about how really wonderful this album would have been if they had adopted the classic 70's prog format of one 20 min epic song and two "shorter" 10 min songs (give or take some minutes)... the epic Metropolis 2, plus "Home" and "Finally Free"... that would have been my favourite album from them, and one of my very favourite albums overall. Actually, they could recreate this "epic" in the form of a Medley in concert (usually I dislike medleys, but I expect this is one I would have enjoyed).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 22:32

Indeed and I do think the actual track of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is probably the last truly amazing thing they did. The song runs the gamut and the lyrical content is just as good. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying they haven't made anything good since then, but if we're talking innovation and something stellar, 6DOIT should definitely be mentioned.

Metropolis 2 was actually supposed to be part of a double-disc set included on Falling Into Infinity but the label thought making a double CD would be in poor taste.

I never really liked the 6 degrees CD length suit. I really love CD 1, and if that were the whole album it would be my favourite from the band, but the actuall 6 degrees "song" doesn't do much for me, except for a few moments here and there. And after this song/album, they have done some really wonderful stuff. I really like the Train of Thought album (I gues this one would actually be my favourite from them), and "Stream of Consciousness is for me among the most amazing songs they have done. Then comes the Octavarium song, perhaps my very favourite song from them. And after that, at the very least Sleeping with Enemies part 1, from the next album, is also among their most special songs. Perhaps Silver Linings already lost some of that, and still I like that album a lot. For me, they really lost it when they let Portnoy go away... I still think they should have taken his advice and taken a brake for a time... they just lost their spark in their last 2 albums.
Prog Snob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 01:44
I agree with you regarding Stream of Consciousness. A lot of people criticize it but it's one of my favorite things to listen to.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 03:45
^ Train off Thought was an amazing album for me, it sounded a bit different than their earlier works, heavier and their playing was very tight.
Octavarium was their last great album IMO; something got lost after that; they kinda make music because they have contracts to honor or something, I dunno. There definitely are a lot of good songs on their last works, but for me, it ain't what it used to be,  my excitement is gone.

as for Jordan being more present, i disagree, he was great on the self-titled album fortunately, because he suffocated ADTOE with his keys, that album barely breathes.

Edited by Cristi - February 13 2015 at 03:46
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 22:26

I agree with you regarding Stream of Consciousness. A lot of people criticize it but it's one of my favorite things to listen to.

Oh, that song is all over the place. And for those who acuse prog, and DT of being emotionless... this is one of the songs I can think of to counter it (though perhaps many wouldn't hear it the same way), that intro is just flowing with emotion... and then when that theme returns near the end and everything... just wonderful.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 22:35

^ Train off Thought was an amazing album for me, it sounded a bit different than their earlier works, heavier and their playing was very tight.
Octavarium was their last great album IMO; something got lost after that; they kinda make music because they have contracts to honor or something, I dunno. There definitely are a lot of good songs on their last works, but for me, it ain't what it used to be,  my excitement is gone.

as for Jordan being more present, i disagree, he was great on the self-titled album fortunately, because he suffocated ADTOE with his keys, that album barely breathes.

Yeah, I guess after Ocavarium they did loose something. Even though I have had trouble with their whole albums (usually they have some material I really don't like which wouldn't allow me to rate them 5 stars), for Systematic Chaos I only really liked the first song (though what a song). Still, I really enjoy Silver Linings... but I must admit that at least at first it did sound somewhat tired. I don't think it's a thing about contracts, since Portnoy before he left, wanted DT to take a 5 year break or something, so they could have done it... only that the other guys didn't want to. I still think Portnoy was right and it would have done the band some good, for they have kept on sounding tired and formulaic for the last two albums. I believe more than a contract, the rest of the band wanted to prove something... and somehow they didn't want to stop making music and touring.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 00:24
Originally posted by TradeMark0 TradeMark0 wrote:

[QUOTE=Prog Snob]
I think 10% less on the guitar and more on the others would likely make this band a lot better.

A good idea...

but the problem lies in the fact that much Dream Theater's music is riff oriented. It mainly consists of guitar riffs and solos and sometimes the same with the keyboard. The occasional orchestration is nice although sounds as though it was ripped right out of a movie score. 

I don't really care anymore about weather or not a band is "good" like I used to. I'm much more interested in what they are doing with their art, and Dream Theater is uninteresting to me.

Nail on the head. Dream Theater are essentially a metal band so progheads approaching them with the expectations they may have of prog rock will be frustrated in their attempts to come to terms with DT. Meanwhile metalheads won't take to LaBrie's vocals and what THEY see as too much keyboard. Basically DT fulfil the need of listeners who would like metal with some complexity and sophistication but who find music without metal riffs 'sissy'.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 01:06
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

[QUOTE=Prog Snob]

A good idea...

Nail on the head. Dream Theater are essentially a metal band so progheads approaching them with the expectations they may have of prog rock will be frustrated in their attempts to come to terms with DT. Meanwhile metalheads won't take to LaBrie's vocals and what THEY see as too much keyboard. Basically DT fulfil the need of listeners who would like metal with some complexity and sophistication but who find music without metal riffs 'sissy'.

Perhaps you're right. But I do love a good riff, and DT is brimming with those. Even if the recent music is not quite as fresh as their earlier stuff, it's still heavy, driving, and can knock your socks off if you let it.

If that's what I'm in the mood for, DT is a good choice. If not, well there are a million other options out there.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 01:50
Well I love good riffs but would like to be able to focus mainly on that when I am listening to metal. That becomes a bit difficult with DT's more ambitious scope. That's why I prefer their earlier albums which were more concise and driving. A certain kind of 'DT purist' sneers on those who stopped at 'beginner DT' but I couldn't care less about that.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 09:14

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

[QUOTE=Prog Snob]

A good idea...

I would be concerned if someone that spent time at the Berklee Music School, would/could only do "riff's" ... that would be the worst representation of music and teaching in ANY music school in the world!

Where I think their problem lies, might just be with James not living in the same place as them, and only joining the building process LATER, which I think may have a tendency to make the players work with themselves more, and the words less important later ... and when James shows up they make small adjustments to what they already have ... something like this, and it is described in their book.

Thus, for a lot of their work to become less "riff'y", I think the writing has to be more complete and with the singer from the start, rather than just an addon. However, few people will argue that he is not very good at matching moments and emotions ... he does very well, but it is int he middle of a riff'y design, that could/would be a bit tiring a bit later, and makes us question the innovative'ness of it all.

My idea is that the writing process has to change for the music to be more direct and proper with the words, instead of just adding some words later. The writing "process" is not well defined as a "whole", because it is not complete from the start ... and I think this leads to an "imcomplete" baby!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 09:55
It may be a matter of preference rather than ability. Maybe Petrucci just loves writing and playing riffs more than anything. One of my friends is like that, loves bands like KC, Gentle Giant, Steely Dan but is hung up on riffs. Speaking of which, Steely Dan is a good counter example. Quite commercial sounding and have proper guitar solos in most of their tracks and yet it never feels, at least for me, like their keyboard parts are overwhelmed by guitar. Both Steely Dan and S Wonder were able to use guitar and keyboard in tandem to drive their music. An approach also evidenced in Fiona Apple's Way Things Are. So it likely has nothing to do with how progressive or not DT is but everything to do with their metal roots.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 10:00
Ermm Labrie isn't the main lyricist for DT, Petrucci is, so that's all pretty academic (Portnoy wrote twice as many lyrics as Labrie)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_Dream_Theater 

Music first and lyrics later worked out okay for Genesis. (ref: http://www.g2online.co.uk/selling.htm). Though I'm sure it helps if the music is composed with lyrics in mind, even if they haven't been written yet...
What?
paragraph7 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2015 at 13:41
I guess my reply is a tad late when it comes to the OP post. But since I don't consider DT to be prog at all; hence my answer would be "mere imitators".
What you cannot speak of, you have to pass on in silence.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 10:48
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Ermm Labrie isn't the main lyricist for DT, Petrucci is, so that's all pretty academic (Portnoy wrote twice as many lyrics as Labrie)

I believe this is a mis-interpretation of what i said!

Labrie lives in Toronto, not NJ. Again, it would mean that by the time he got there to sing the words, the music would be much more defined, than they would be with him in person from the start, and that would help the music be more suited to the instrumentation, than it would to the work with a singer ... unless Mike and others would be kinda singing along during the development of these pieces, and I find that hard to digest and is not mentioned in the book at all!

Edited by moshkito - February 20 2015 at 10:52
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 10:56
Originally posted by paragraph7 paragraph7 wrote:

I guess my reply is a tad late when it comes to the OP post. But since I don't consider DT to be prog at all; hence my answer would be "mere imitators".

LOL
come on, make my day, what are they playing then?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>