Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich Kashmir?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which version of Kashmir do you like better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
32 [74.42%]
1 [2.33%]
5 [11.63%]
1 [2.33%]
4 [9.30%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 10:40
By the way, has anyone here heard two Kashmir wannabees, Jon Anderson's Top of the World (The Glass Bead Game) and Hall and Oates' Winged Bull? Pretty precious stuff. Thanks Jon, Daryl, and John!

Edited by Rednight - February 12 2015 at 10:40
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 10:54
The Belgian neo-prog band Now did a cover of Kashmir on their album Deep in 1992. I wasn't particularly impressed with it.
Anyway, voted for the original.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 21:50
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Yeah, I really love the unledded album too. Amazing versions of all songs, some dramatically re-worked. The only one I didn't really like at all was "No Quarter", which for me was totally destroyed. I wish "Rain Song" had been included on the CD instead of that one.

Really!?! Haha. Even though I love the original version of No Quarter - as well as the live version on The Song Remains the Same - I loved the new version as well. Absolutely perfect, for me, at any rate :-)

Oh well, perhaps I would need to give it a listen again, but I'm not sure I would find anything I didn't before. The original No Quarter is just perfect and wonderful, the Unledded version just sounds like noise, and all the melodies and riffs are buried into it.

Did you see it as it was originally aired on MTV? That MTV special? 'Cause it looked like it was recorded live, but in the wild. (Or a set, haha.) Here, I found the video of it. Around the 2 min. mark you start to see it, recording in a forest or something. I thought it was a really fantastic opening for the Page/Plant special: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXNfq2mq-hg

I have the DVD, so I guess it's the same one. I guess I would actually have to look out the story of this concert(s) once again, since it seems to be recorded in many different places... and some I'm not really sure if it's live or merely a video and them actually playing elsewhere. I mean, like you said, just in the wild, and some other songs in the middle of such small indian towns or whatever. Though I believe the DVD is the culmination of some sort of tour, actually. Still, great stuff, I think I actually like this album/DVD more than any of Zep's original studio albums (except perhaps IV).

Edited by Dellinger - February 12 2015 at 21:51
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 02:07
In 2003 I covered it myself, along with "Echoes" by Pink Floyd, and other songs that might be hard to imagine done any other way.

I vote for my own version LOL
rotten hound of the burnie crew
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 06:18
Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

Ok, who voted for Puff Daddy. Confused

I DID! Stern Smile Evil Smile Cool
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 06:29
4 votes for Puffy... seriously?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 06:32
It's a great cover. I prefer the original but still really dig the Puffy version.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 07:02
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

4 votes for Puffy... seriously?

It depends by what you mean by "seriously". Clown
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 12:08
There's going to be a new version released soon (this month I think), on the bonus disc with the new Physical Graffiti remaster.  It's from the original recording sessions and apparently it features more of the orchestra's performance.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 21:15
Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

There's going to be a new version released soon (this month I think), on the bonus disc with the new Physical Graffiti remaster.  It's from the original recording sessions and apparently it features more of the orchestra's performance.

So there's actually an orchestra on the original version of this song? I could not be sure if it was so or if the sound was made with keyboards, since they don't credit any orchestra as far as I remember on the album, and on the live version I've seen it is played with the keyboads, sounding similar enough. I guess it will be nice to give this new version a listen too.
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 22:43

So there's actually an orchestra on the original version of this song?

It's a mix of real strings, real horns and also John Paul Jones playing the Mellotron.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 20:42

So there's actually an orchestra on the original version of this song?

It's a mix of real <span style="line-height: 1.4;">strings, real horns and also John Paul Jones playing the Mellotron.</span>

Well, that's good to know. However, I do wish they had credited it in their album. It's always interesting to know such things. Just as I wish I knew who plays the flute/recorder or whatever at the beginning of Stairway to heaven.
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 07:54

I wish I knew who plays the flute/recorder or whatever at the beginning of Stairway to heaven.

They are recorders and they were all played by John Paul Jones. He overdubbed several layers of them. Talented guy who is often unfairly overlooked when people talk about Led Zep.
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 17:05
Okay, voted for the original version but if one can ignore the "rapping" by Puffy his collaboration with Page on that one resulted in a massive killer groove that was very Godzilla-like .  Just sayin'...
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 19:58
The studio version of the song is THE best imo.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 20:45
Although I think only available on bootlegs Jethro Tull covered Kashmir, a slightly shorter version featuring their guest violinist.

I decided to vote for the Unledded version for the vast instrumental variety. Absolutely stunning in concert, probably the most superb orchestral moment in modern rock. But the original just has that immediacy and power from the start - the Bonzo drumming just makes it. The concert versions could be very good as well and occasionally feature a timing mistake throwing the band out of control. Not too easy in places.

I do have the Puff Daddy veriosn (it does feature JP). But the whole thing was recorded track by track and frankly if I heard the vocalist sing so far off the accents it would drive me mad (if I were in that band). Or any other. This is why I think Combs' version raises so much ire.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 13:58

I wish I knew who plays the flute/recorder or whatever at the beginning of Stairway to heaven.

They are recorders and they were all played by John Paul Jones. He overdubbed several layers of them. Talented guy who is often unfairly overlooked when people talk about Led Zep.

Well, at least I believe it was a wasted oportunity when Zep toured with Jethro Tull... it would have been great if Ian had come out with Zep when they played this song. However, I believe Zep were not too fond of Jethro Tull anyway.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 14:00
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Although I think only available on bootlegs Jethro Tull covered Kashmir, a slightly shorter version featuring their guest violinist.

I decided to vote for the Unledded version for the vast instrumental variety. Absolutely stunning in concert, probably the most superb orchestral moment in modern rock. But the original just has that immediacy and power from the start - the Bonzo drumming just makes it. The concert versions could be very good as well and occasionally feature a timing mistake throwing the band out of control. Not too easy in places.

I do have the Puff Daddy veriosn (it does feature JP). But the whole thing was recorded track by track and frankly if I heard the vocalist sing so far off the accents it would drive me mad (if I were in that band). Or any other. This is why I think Combs' version raises so much ire.

I still can't make up my mind if I like better the "immediacy and power from the start" (and all along the song) of the original, or the build-up, variaty, and more melodic nature of the Unledded version (I believe the second one is a more progressive version of the song, actually).
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 16:17
The original, but the Ian Anderson version featuring Lucia Micarelli (incredibly hot and talented!) is excellent, and very proggy:

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 11:46
She's very high energy like Steve Howe was in 72".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>