Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 156>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 01:07
Had some decent corned beef w/ cabbage & potatoes tonight, I like a nice fatty brisket

Edited by Atavachron - March 18 2015 at 01:08
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2015 at 20:05
^ I do a similar onion & bacon pie with sourcream, egg, and a nice crust -  I think it's German by origin

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2015 at 11:42
Nice coincidence: Tonight we’ll have a pie with leek and mushrooms. I made the crust yesterday and half of the filling earlier today, so the only thing I’ll have to do, is to mix cream, eggs and nutmeg, put the filling on the pie, top with grated cheese and bake it in the oven for half an hour.

Happy Pi Day!
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2015 at 23:28
Homestyle potatoes & onions, with a couple NY strips pan-fried with olive oil, lemon, Worc, and garlic
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 12:30
Cooked tandori-style fish in Coconut and Ginger sauce over the weekend, it looked exactly like this:

As you can see, it was served with a simple salad scattered with those honey-roast chilli cashews I've been banging on about. The fillets of fish (whiting) seemed rather small once I got home so I quickly defrosted some king prawns and marinaded them in turmeric, chopped chili and ginger to boost the protein-level of the plate a tad. I can honestly say it was absolutely fantastic and like nothing I've ever eaten before, so light and delicate with a subtle heat from the chilli and ginger.

The little flecks are deep fried flakes of rice. I remember having flaked rice in my childhood as a milk pudding and hating it, I could never why anyone would want to make a rice pudding with the texture of porridge. Then I read that if you fried the flakes they puffed up and became crunchy, its taken me weeks to find anywhere that still sells flaked rice and managed to eventually find some in a wholefood retailer. I now have a kilo of the stuff and only used a small spoonful here, I suspect this packet will last me years.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 02:57
Yes I don't let the meat sit in the rub long, I just let it cook in and bloom a bit in the pot--  but seasoning the meat well is absolutely key to good flavor, something that took me a long time to understand.  The whole "No-Salt!"  trend really threw things too, people started waaayy under-salting and it's taken awhile to get back to basics.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 02:48
I don't get that problem using pork shoulder to make puerco pibil or goulash... those get marinaded in the spice mix for a few hours before searing so perhaps that really does seal in the flavour better. 
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 02:42
Funny thing about using shoulder is that by the time its been well simmered, the meat itself has imparted most of its flavor to the sauce and is left a largely bland, grey mass
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 02:32
^ Pork chilli ... yum!

Last Sunday I cooked beef short-rib (method 5 pages back), I was away on business for the rest of the week but Debs texted me the following day, (as I dined on over-cooked fish in a second-rate hotel), to say that the left-overs made the best chilli ever. Needless to say, she didn't save me any.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 21:54
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I am definitely stealing that cashew recipe!

I'm stealing the word 'moreish' .

Doing a slow-simmer chili with hunks of pork shoulder drenched in powdered chipotle, garlic, chopped onion, s&p; fried in olive oil till just browned but still raw in middle before adding strained tomatoes, some water, Worcesteshire, a little beer, brown sugar, dry oregano, cumin, tobasco, more chipotle if needed.   Turn heat to low and cover till meat is cooked and flavors have come together, add more salt if required.   Served with a sourcream dollop and WheatThins on the side.

A can of drained and rinsed red kidney beans is optional.

Edited by Atavachron - February 27 2015 at 22:15
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 14:51
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Here in th UK Calzone is not that common, only one chain pizzarier has them on the menu to my (limited) knowledge, I've never seen Stromboli served anywhere, though one supermarket did sell a ready made one that was pretty unpleasant. I've only ever eaten them in the States and those were rolled. However the slit-top so the cheese can oose out Like lava sounds a very plausible explanation of its naming, though why Stromboli and not Etna is anybody's guess.

It makes perfect sense from a (slightly) modern viewpoint, if you've ever seen the Dame Edna ShowLOL

Although I've seen my fair share of oddly chosen characters associated with Italian cuisine. Back when I lived in Bagsværd (suburb of Copenhagen), there was a pizzaria there named RobocopLOL Great food, but what an odd name! Cool hybrid policeman, pizzas....hmm why the heck not.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 14:30
According to Wikipedia, one of the explanations for the name might be the Roberto Rossellini movie starring Ingrid Bergman - which is likely to be true.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 14:27
Here in th UK Calzone is not that common, only one chain pizzarier has them on the menu to my (limited) knowledge, I've never seen Stromboli served anywhere, though one supermarket did sell a ready made one that was pretty unpleasant. I've only ever eaten them in the States and those were rolled. However the slit-top so the cheese can oose out Like lava sounds a very plausible explanation of its naming, though why Stromboli and not Etna is anybody's guess.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 14:15
Ever tried a calzone with bearnaise sauce? Me neither, but they exist.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 14:06
Agreed Raff - to the extent that I can order a stromboli in one place and a calzone in another and get basically the same thing Confused
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 13:37
I am definitely stealing that cashew recipe! I am sure a batch wouldn't last long, as Micky loves cashews (and just about any food, reallyLOL).

What they call "stromboli" here in the US is very much like a calzone (generally with a slit on top so that the melted cheese oozes out - hence the name), though in some places they make it in swiss-roll fashion. In any case, it is always made using bread/pizza dough rather than puff pastry.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 13:34
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

...it took a while... atjuuuu ... atishoo ... cashew LOL

Ahh nuts

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 13:33
In Danish we use the word 'snegl' for both snails and slugs. I guess it's so close to the British 'snail' that I often use it when I actually mean slugEmbarrassed

My pizza snail/slug/stromboli looks more like this (I even try to mimic the back patternApprove):

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 16 2015 at 13:44

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 13:28
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

LOL
Works with most Danes too.

MMMMMMmmmmmmmm, Danish

(that's a snail shape to me, albeit a water snail)
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 13:26
...it took a while... atjuuuu ... atishoo ... cashew LOL

What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 156>