Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen is Peter Gabriel not Peter Gabriel??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2016 at 04:06
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I don't think that's really the case at all.. I agree with Son of Tiresias; there are many little hints of later Genesis (the little snippet/ riff which later became 'Twighlight Alehouse' for instance) and they were very young and lots of the production decisions were taken away from them by Jonathan King (such as the string arrangements). I think that despite what many think about From Genesis to Revelation, it was an important and necessary step in their development, if only in part that it made them realise that they only really wanted to make the music that they wanted to make.

Quite rightly so... Eeh... Dr. Lawnmover I presume...? Big smile
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2016 at 10:38
Well, it will be interesting to hear what the OP thinks of the album.  Personally I find From Genesis To Revelations to be quite dull and boring, but it's not a "bad" album per say.  I do like Gabriel's voice on it and there are one or two tracks that are decent 60's pop.  I personally don't really hear anything of the future band, aside from Gabriel's raspy vocals (and even those are much more interesting starting with Trespass).  Again though, I don't think it's the terrible album most people make it out to be, but I also don't think it's really worth having in a Genesis collection (unless you absolutely have to have every album they ever did).
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 17:31
Its easy to Judge Genesis to Revelation (or  in hindsight.. the reason why it stands out is because it is so different from the later Peter Gabriel lps and yes it is unashamedly a group of young men trying to emulate their heroes who at that time happened to be the Beatles, Bee Gees, Beach boys plus a dollop of soul (on PG's side anyway) then manipulated by a 'Simon Cowell' figure, poorly produced and promoted then dropped. The Moody Blues first lp was also completely different from later lps (Ok it had quite a different line-up with a totally different song writing partner in Denny Laine and they had also been gigging regularly before recording) and therefore stands separately from the rest of their canon but is most definitely the first step in a long journey.

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 17:41
Originally posted by Son.of.Tiresias Son.of.Tiresias wrote:

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I don't think that's really the case at all.. I agree with Son of Tiresias; there are many little hints of later Genesis (the little snippet/ riff which later became 'Twighlight Alehouse' for instance) and they were very young and lots of the production decisions were taken away from them by Jonathan King (such as the string arrangements). I think that despite what many think about From Genesis to Revelation, it was an important and necessary step in their development, if only in part that it made them realise that they only really wanted to make the music that they wanted to make.

Quite rightly so... Eeh... Dr. Lawnmover I presume...? Big smile

Heh Heh!LOL Dr Lawnmover... I like the idea of moving lawns rather than mowing themWink and particularly having a doctorate in it!Big smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12