Topic ClosedFunny Ways: Your Unusual Prog Opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 17>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 15:57
Originally posted by Lewa Lewa wrote:

Hi. Could you perhaps recommend a clean vocals Opeth album?

I didn't even know they had them and might give them another chance.

You can check out Pale Communion (pretty good and PA's Album of the Year 2014). Its predecessor, Heritage, may be clean as well (I have not yet heard that one).
Lewa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 15:59
Thank you so much! 

I'll listen right away.

emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 16:08
Because I never read about music, only listened to it, I always assumed the lyrics to Yes songs (not all of which were written by Anderson, btw) were perfectly comprehensible and have always treated them as such. They never sounded like gibberish to me.

I think that The Yes Album is in fact the first real Yes album, and that if Steve Howe had not joined the band, they would never have been half as amazing. Which is not to diss Anderson, Squire et al., I just think that Howe's guitar sound is what made Yes into Yes.

I like A Trick of the Tale best of all Genesis albums because it seems to me the perfect intersection between their prog and pop iterations. It's the most accessible. I don't consider accessibility a bad thing. I love Selling England by the Pound, but still prefer ATOTT. 

I have never once knowingly listened to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (although I may have listened to it unknowingly when my husband was playing it). Nothing I have read about TLLDOB has ever made me want to listen to it, although I do feel obligated to listen to it someday, in the same way I feel obligated to read Joyce's Ulysses someday, but I don't see either day coming up on the horizon anytime soon.

I think Pink Floyd would have been a much better band had Roger Waters been less of a self-pitying narcissist.  The only Pink Floyd album that manages to be completely wonderful in spite of Roger Waters is Wish You Were Here.  Other than that, I would be okay with never hearing another Pink Floyd album ever again.

I really want to like Rush, and would do so if the vocals weren't so damn annoying.  I do like a few songs here and there (Limelight, for example) but it's in spite of the singing, not because of it.  I do wonder what they would sound like had they kept the band exactly as it is but added a singer who didn't make me cringe every time he/she opened his/her mouth.

I like King Crimson's work a lot, but wish I could just enjoy it without feeling obliged to enjoy it. 

I'm kind of thinking about liking Dream Theatre, but I'm waiting to see if the urge goes away before I invest in any of their CDs.

I like Opeth.  Not love, but like. I kind of like Swedish prog generally and am hoping to find time to expand my knowledge of it.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 17:23
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

I really want to like Rush, and would do so if the vocals weren't so damn annoying.  I do like a few songs here and there (Limelight, for example) but it's in spite of the singing, not because of it. 

I do wonder what they would sound like had they kept the band exactly as it is but added a singer who didn't make me cringe every time he/she opened his/her mouth.

why dear... it wouldn't have been Rush.  Plenty of bands had chops... what set Rush apart were the grade school philosophy for dummies (and Rush fan) lyrics.. but in the end they eventually become endearing. who says Prog can not have humor.. even if not exactly what was intended to be funny...

then there is Geddy's voice... I couldn't imagine Rush being Rush.. or really all that notable to be honest without the great shrieking elf himself.  Character man.. it is all about character..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 17:27
Originally posted by Lewa Lewa wrote:

Hi. Could you perhaps recommend a clean vocals Opeth album?

I didn't even know they had them and might give them another chance.

Damnation (2003)
Heritage (2011)
Pale Communion (2014)
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 18:38
Another unsual opinion,I prefer The Division Bell than DSOM and WYWH Tongue
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 18:53
Originally posted by andreol263 andreol263 wrote:

Another unsual opinion,I prefer The Division Bell than DSOM and WYWH Tongue

at least you didn't say AMLoR LOL That would have raised a few eyebrows..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 18:59
He'd be wrong on both counts.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 19:00
yeah but .. that ....oh... just leave it alone Micky...
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 19:12
Really, i Find Cluster One,Poles Apart, Marooned and High Hopes better than any DSOTM/WYWH song.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 19:16
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I really want to like Rush, and would do so if the vocals weren't so damn annoying.  I do like a few songs here and there (Limelight, for example) but it's in spite of the singing, not because of it. 
I do wonder what they would sound like had they kept the band exactly as it is but added a singer who didn't make me cringe every time he/she opened his/her mouth.
why dear... it wouldn't have been Rush.  Plenty of bands had chops... what set Rush apart were the grade school philosophy for dummies (and Rush fan) lyrics.. but in the end they eventually become endearing. who says Prog can not have humor.. even if not exactly what was intended to be funny...

then there is Geddy's voice... I couldn't imagine Rush being Rush.. or really all that notable to be honest without the great shrieking elf himself.  Character man.. it is all about character..

And if we're being honest, most Rushies I knew made fun of Geddy's voice constantly, especially on the LPs where it's really bad like Fly by Night or 2112 .

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
ginodi View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 20:20
Wow...a great opinion thread, and I arrived quite late (had to work). So here goes my contribution:

I...
--haven't heard an RPI release that disappointed me. That genre dominates my CD purchases and most of the content on my Ipod. Being Italian helps.
--when Peter Gabriel left Genesis, I quit listening to them. 
--Jethro Tull is my favorite band, yet I have not purchased Under Wraps because I cannot get through one minute of any song. 
--still think Roger Waters made Pink Floyd a great band. Hell with his tendencies. 
--am not a fan of Rush, though I did love 2112.
--Opeth and Dream Theater are my favorites in the metal genre. Sorry, but not much else touches these two. 
--Gentle Giant (they lost me after Power and the Glory), and King Crimson (up to Red) are pure masterpieces.
--wonder why Neo-Prog bands are hated...
--love classic era Ange.
--not a fan of Progressive Electronic, Post Rock/Math Rock, Jazz Rock/Fusion genres.
--not a fan boy for Steven Wilson...but damned close to being one.
--check Prog Archives several times a day. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 20:54
Originally posted by ginodi ginodi wrote:

--still think Roger Waters made Pink Floyd a great band. Hell with his tendencies. 

Hear, hear.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 21:29
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by ginodi ginodi wrote:

Hear, hear.

I think these would count as "usual" prog opinions rather than unusual ones.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 21:40
A great album and artist, commonly, is one that strongly divides opinion. Some may feel revulsion whereas others will feel exultation. Many will be apathetic, but they don't count since they keep pretty quiet. This may lead to great one page plus battles of words in forums, can end friendships, may lead to locked threads, or may lead to the combatants leaving the site momentarily in frustration or out of bloody boredom to go get a snack and watch some sc-fi instead. They will come back, but only to post "body jello shots" and "ST:WoK" (the epic cooking with Ricardo Montalban and Steve Hillage feature) while painfully ignoring the battle that they had been so wounded by, or mildly annoyed by. Or in some causes plotting their revenge, "Khannnn".
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 22:17
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

well, let's see

I've always liked Genesis - Nursery Cryme and SEBTP more than Foxtrot. Last time I listened to Foxtrot, I only listened to the short ones (haven't listened to Supper's Ready in a long time, I need a special mood for it, it seems)

Yes - the debut and Drama are two of my favorite from them. Don't remember the last time I listened to CttE (great album, no doubt about it, but I rarely listen to it).

I also like 80s Rush more than 70s Rush

Pink Floyd's debut is one of my least favorite albums from them.

In recent years, I've listened to Hogarth Marillion albums more than the Fish ones.

I'm appalled when I see DT fans/listeners saying they enjoy the later days albums more than the early/90s albums.

I haven't listened to Jethro Tull's TaaB in years.

The clean vocals Opeth albums are my favorite from them (I rarely listen to the death metal Opeth).

I like 80s Kansas Big smile

I also mostly can't stand growling Opeth (actually, I don't like growling in metal as a general rule), so I mostly have the non-growling songs and the last two albums. However, The Dreapery Falls is too brilliant a song and had to love it despite the growling.
jazz2896 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 22:24
-I greatly dislike any prog that tends to add uplifting morals to music (this seems to be more of a modern trend), it usually comes off as quite cheesy.
-I think Beefheart needs to be higher rated, probably even at the top of the RIO/Avant section.  
-I actually didn't really enjoy Hand Cannot Erase, even though I enjoyed The Raven quite a bit.
-I love Frank Zappa, but out of his 100 or so albums, I'd say only about 3 (excluding archival whole live shows) are completely solid all the way through

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 22:30
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

A great album and artist, commonly, is one that strongly divides opinion.

amen....Clap
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 22:38
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

And if we're being honest, most Rushies I knew made fun of Geddy's voice constantly, especially on the LPs where it's really bad like Fly by Night or 2112 .

oh for sure.. as I said.. there is humor in prog.. the best kind is the unintended kind.  Geddy's vocals ARE Rush. Without those they are 3 good instrumentalists and one piss poor lyricist...

Rush is a ...well... it is  like a perverse version of Yes. I can't listen to it without having a smile on my face.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 22:39
Originally posted by jazz2896 jazz2896 wrote:

-I greatly dislike any prog that tends to add uplifting morals to music (this seems to be more of a modern trend), it usually comes off as quite cheesy.
-I think Beefheart needs to be higher rated, probably even at the top of the RIO/Avant section.  
-I actually didn't really enjoy Hand Cannot Erase, even though I enjoyed The Raven quite a bit.
-I love Frank Zappa, but out of his 100 or so albums, I'd say only about 3 (excluding archival whole live shows) are completely solid all the way through

I do think Hand Cannot Erase is a step down from The Raven. I did love The Raven, but the last one is sort of meh... though I do like some songs from it very much.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 17>