Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFunny Ways: Your Unusual Prog Opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 04:58
this debate actually make me think of Krautrock. Krautrock stood for a certain kind of music, represented by certain artists like Amon Düül 2, Can, Guru Guru or Tangerine Dream (the latter being filed under "Electronic"). it does NOT stand for "prog rock from Germany"). which is why I believe many bands are wrongly filed under the Krautrock moniker. what's more, many of these bands changed their styles frequently (sometimes drastically), which is why I support that it should be possible to assign more than one genre to a band and that genre classifications should be given to albums rather than bands.

example: a fictitious band (let's name them "Rorschach Test-Tubes") publishes an album named "Hilarious Hypotheses" which falls under "RIO/Avant". for their second album "Premium Disaster Card" they switch to hard prog. for their third album  "Cloudy Collapse" they decide to go eclectic. then the band would have the "RIO/Avant", "hard prog", and "eclectic" genres assigned to them, while the albums themselves get the appropriate genre assigned

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 05:04
^ Guru Guru being a fine example.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 05:17
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Guru Guru being a fine example.

indeed

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 07:47
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

this debate actually make me think of Krautrock. Krautrock stood for a certain kind of music, represented by certain artists like Amon Düül 2, Can, Guru Guru or Tangerine Dream (the latter being filed under "Electronic"). it does NOT stand for "prog rock from Germany").

Yep. Simply put, the difference lies in that prog is into structured, multi-part compositions, while Krautrock is more into repetitions and collective improvisations. Also, West Germany had its own prog bands, distinct from Krautrock, in the '70s such as Eloy, Grobschnitt, Hölderlin, Novalis or Triumvirat. (There was also East German prog, such as Stern Combo Meißen, but AFAIK no East German Krautrock.)

Edited by WeepingElf - June 05 2016 at 07:59
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 07:59
One more! I always thought of Edgar Broughton Band as prog.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 10:06
What are the prejudices against women in the prog world?

http://fryingpanmedia.com
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 10:09
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

- Phish is deserving of eclectic prog status
- I don't care for Magma and I strongly dislike ELP
- Dave Matthews Band has prog elements
- Atom Heart Mother outstrips Echoes in terms of quality
- Shine On You Crazy Diamond is undeservingly overrated compared to the rest of WYWH
- I hate Robert Fripp with passion (that may not be too controversial), as well as dislike most of KC's work.

A bit harsh, sorry. Embarrassed

I can agree with a number of your statements! Especially the last one ;-)

Edited by King Manuel - June 05 2016 at 10:11
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 13:56

Maybe we could make it simpler and discuss what are the prejudices against women on PA.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 14:54
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Maybe we could make it simpler and discuss what are the prejudices against women on PA.

I'm curious. what are they?

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 15:04
Yes enlighten us

Project Nightscape View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 15:07
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

^
My favorite Rush album is the first one.

Followed closely by Fly By Night and Caress. 

Sacrilege! I can see making a case for these LPs, though, as more emotionally-engaging than some of their later releases due to the more straightforward lyrical content (well, excepting "By-Tor and the Snow Dog") and the garage band-style production. My personal faves, however, are Moving Pictures and Grace Under Pressure, followed by a non-existent album that contains the best bits from 2112, Permanent WavesHemispheres and Farewell to Kings. If I picked the tracklist for that album today, it would include "2112: Overture & The Grand Finale," "Jacob's Ladder," "Cygnus X-1, Book 11: Hemispheres: Prelude, Cygnus & The Sphere," "La Villa Strangiato," and "Xanadu."

My top heresy in this field is probably my complete lack of interest in anything Jethro Tull. I simply find the band's music simultaneously dull and grating.  
https://projectnightscape.bandcamp.com/releases

www.nightscapeseries.com

In music the passions enjoy themselves. - Nietzsche
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 15:39

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

I'm curious. what are they?

On PA I've only seen one guy who made any sexist comments regarding women who like prog, calling them posers or something like that. Besides that, I haven't seen any prejudices against women on PA.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 17:12
I have definitely felt some hostility towards women here, particularly those that speak their mind.

Early on in my tenure, I called someone out for referring to women generically as "bitches" and was told by a few people to lighten up.  Others, however, rushed to second my objections, so I'm not saying it's all PAers, but this is certainly a male-dominated site, and I think that certain post/posters reflect that.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 18:24
I don't think a certain few smalltime users reflect any ideologies that the site follows. Just like the real world there are a few who are actually sexist, but that's unfortunately how it works. I don't think PA treats women with any less respect than anyone else. Also us being a male-dominated site does not equal an anti-woman mindset, nor does it really "attract" sexists. As I stated before, there are certain people who are sexist but they don't reflect our community and how it treats people in the slightest. 

Edited by aglasshouse - June 05 2016 at 18:26
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 18:47
I think that there are some people who are downright sexist, but others who just aren't very sensitive to it.  Going back to the post in question (and it's a over a year ago, so I'm not sure how to search for it), but what bothered me was that the post was made (it was about songs to play to increase your chances of getting laid, as I recall, and the poster volunteered a certain song and said "bitches love....") and then many posts followed it without the original poster being called out for it. Had the comment been racist, I'm sure others would have noticed, and objected immediately. As it was "only" sexist, it took three pages before someone - hey, that would be me - pointed it out.

So that kind of bothered me. Still does.

emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 18:52
Oh, I just double-checked. It took four pages of posts and 5 months before anyone objected.

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 19:38
Originally posted by Project Nightscape Project Nightscape wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

^
My favorite Rush album is the first one.

Followed closely by Fly By Night and Caress. 

Sacrilege! I can see making a case for these LPs, though, as more emotionally-engaging than some of their later releases due to the more straightforward lyrical content (well, excepting "By-Tor and the Snow Dog") and the garage band-style production. My personal faves, however, are Moving Pictures and Grace Under Pressure, followed by a non-existent album that contains the best bits from 2112, Permanent WavesHemispheres and Farewell to Kings. If I picked the tracklist for that album today, it would include "2112: Overture & The Grand Finale," "Jacob's Ladder," "Cygnus X-1, Book 11: Hemispheres: Prelude, Cygnus & The Sphere," "La Villa Strangiato," and "Xanadu."

My top heresy in this field is probably my complete lack of interest in anything Jethro Tull. I simply find the band's music simultaneously dull and grating.  

Ha ha, no worries, I'd expect to get flack for that opinion.  But its where I"m at in life right now.  The energy of their first couple albums is just precious to me, pure sustenance when I'm in a down mood...which is fairly often these days.  I love Alex (and all of them) in that non-mature, pure kickass frame of mind....unapologetic  hard rock. 

I accept your stated heresy no problem DavidLOL....

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 20:33
A single user saying "Bitches love" isn't discouraging anyone in the community. Sure, it is a moronic thing to say (if it's used unironically), but it isn't as sexist as saying "oh you're a woman so you don't know anything about prog!" This is where I think using the term 'sexist' loses it's definite meaning and the actual weight it carries.

That's just what I think.

Edited by aglasshouse - June 05 2016 at 20:33
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2016 at 01:03

A single user saying "Bitches love" isn't discouraging anyone in the community. Sure, it is a moronic thing to say (if it's used unironically), but it isn't as sexist as saying "oh you're a woman so you don't know anything about prog!" This is where I think using the term 'sexist' loses it's definite meaning and the actual weight it carries.

That's just what I think.

being a woman I consider "bitches love..." in conjunction with advice how to get laid as extremely sexist. a post like this reduces me to a mere sex object. what can be more sexist than that?

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2016 at 07:09

this debate actually make me think of Krautrock. Krautrock stood for a certain kind of music, represented by certain artists like Amon Düül 2, Can, Guru Guru or Tangerine Dream (the latter being filed under "Electronic"). it does NOT stand for "prog rock from Germany"). which is why I believe many bands are wrongly filed under the Krautrock moniker. what's more, many of these bands changed their styles frequently (sometimes drastically), which is why I support that it should be possible to assign more than one genre to a band and that genre classifications should be given to albums rather than bands.

That's a great idea! Blue Effect (aka Modrý Efekt) is a nice example of this.

Edited by progaardvark - June 06 2016 at 07:11
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>