Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8687888990 528>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 12:47
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Always a pleasure Tymon

Oh and you go ahead and pick two of my absolute favourite albums. Hah! Nice one. Battiato goes completely nuts in a riveting manner somewhere on the rim of the solar system and Bobby shows that all people, even killers, possess something uniquely beautiful about themselves. The two long cuts off Lucifer Rising always deliver goosebumps.

This Battiato album is gorgeous in its static nature. I just can't think of any other album that is quite like this one.
It's kind of scary to thing that a young man, who created such a beautiful, moving work, was capable of commiting such a horrid crime.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 12:54
Yup on both accounts.
First 4 Battiato albums are pure genius imo. I just love the way he plays the VC3 - sorta larval like, worming out of the speakers like this metallic insect. If you play them in chronological order you realise just how far and wide he got with this particular trade. Clic is the perfect ending to that journey (even if he picked up the baton again in 2014 and delivered a modern sounding electronic album in the vein of those first four albums. Joe Patti's Experimental Group it's called.).
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 13:49
Guru Guru - Hinten
Andrew Hill - Compulsion
Heather Duby - Post to Wire
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 14:52
Today's choices (again a wonderful day of listening to music. I could get used to this amount of patterned sound!):

Jeremy Flower - The Real Me
Tangerine Dream - Exit
Deerhoof - The Magic
John Coltrane - Meditations
Magazine - Secondhand Daylight
West Space & Love - ll
Fire! - She Sleeps, She Sleeps (chainsaw saxophone)
Gadi Caplan - Morning Sun
Ryley Walker - Golden Sings That Have Been Sung
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 21:05
Buon Vecchio Charlie - S/T - Wow, what a ride! For such a short album, there's some great territory covered here. Thick, meaty sax solos, smokin' organ with some Jon Lord flavours, and the succulent sweetness of that classical guitar fingerstyle. All of the jazz craziness and breathtaking romance that you gotta love the Italians for is proud on display here. Fantastic!

Bauhaus - Stairway To Escher - Apparently this was a Buon Vecchio Charlie offshoot released some time later, so it's no surprise that that same signature sax is front and centre, still blessing my ears. Incredibly creative - and super well performed - fusion material right here. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 01:42
Squarepusher - Hard Normal Daddy
Biglietto per l'inferno - Biglietto per l'inferno
Edge of Sanity - Crimson (a classic of my youth, perhaps not the gamechanger I once thought it was)
The Mars of Volta - Frances The Mute
Whitehouse - Birthdeath Experience
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 01:55
Tuesday...

Hidria Spacefolk - Symbiosis  (Lohja, Finland  2002)
Instrumental psychedelic, space with a variety of instruments

Pulsonica - Fuera De Tiempo  (Buenos Aires, Argentina  2015)
"Afro Latin rhythms with Progressive Rock styles" 

Mountain Of Wizard - Major Waves Of Minor Resolve  (New Orleans, LA  2016)
Instrumental southern hard rock, stoner rock with dual guitars 

Doctor Cyclops - Oscuropasso   (Bosmenso, Italy  2014)
70s style hard rock, blues rock, stoner, doom trio 

Arrakis - Electricon  (Thessaloniki, Greece  2016)
Instrumental heavy psych, jam trio 

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 03:23
Mother Turtle - II
La Bocca della Verità - Avenoth
Giusto Pio - Motore Immobile
Our Oceans - s/t (I honestly can't find any similarities with Promenade, David Ermm)
Omega - Time Robber (Being more familiar with late 70's Hawkwind, the second track of side 2 didn't shock me like before.)
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 03:30
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Wow, Gary, I had no idea they'd put out another album. I remember really liking their `Tribaloide' album from a few years ago, but was always annoyed I never got a CD of it (which I'm certain were available for a while), but now that I look into it I might have been mistaken and it was download only...
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 04:50
Agitation Free – Malesch
Brainticket – Psychonaut
Casa das Maquinas – Lar de Maravilhas
Eloy – Floating
Novalis - Sommerabend
Nosferatu – s/t
Atomic Rooster – In Hearing of
Blakulla – s/t - How did you end up going with this one, Sam?
M. Efekt – Svitanie
Message – The Dawn Anew is Coming
Shicke, Fuhrs, Frohling – Symphonic Pictures
Popul Vuh – In den Garten Phraraos
Prof Wolfff – s/t

Hey Tymon – I thought of a lesser known album that you might like, hope you haven’t spun it before! German band Prof. Wolfff’s sole self-titled debut from 1972. I actually thought I’d reviewed it years ago but it slipped me by (might have to fix that!). I think it’s a ripper beginning to end, short and sweet too, although the opening track is the real killer. Probably not a massively important German disc, but definitely one of my top personal favourites. I wish more people went on about it!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 05:52
^ My copy of Blakulla is still sealed. I'm very slowly going through my recent purchases, so I won't feel like buying more soon Embarrassed

That Prof Wolfff albums sounds great, like a Krautrock-flavoured Procol Harum Thumbs Up
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 06:46
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Wow, Gary, I had no idea they'd put out another album. I remember really liking their `Tribaloide' album from a few years ago, but was always annoyed I never got a CD of it (which I'm certain were available for a while), but now that I look into it I might have been mistaken and it was download only...
I think you're right about download only but I'd really like to get a physical copy of Fuera De Tiempo.
These guys (and girl) are really tight and have a great sound. They have a few "live in the studio" videos on YouTube that are worth watching. 
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 06:49
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 06:56
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Mother Turtle - II
La Bocca della Verità - Avenoth
Giusto Pio - Motore Immobile
Our Oceans - s/t (I honestly can't find any similarities with Promenade, David Ermm)
Omega - Time Robber (Being more familiar with late 70's Hawkwind, the second track of side 2 didn't shock me like before.)

Well to be perfectly fair it has been a while since I last span Our Oceans I just found the fluid melodic almost Mars Volta-like feel of Promenade sounded distinctly like Our Oceans. The guitar playing in particular has that jazzy mumbling quality to it that I found present in both releases. Then again may just be my ears playing tricks on me

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 06:57
How was that Mother Turtle btw?

- Douglas Adams
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 08:37
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Buon Vecchio Charlie - S/T - Wow, what a ride! For such a short album, there's some great territory covered here. Thick, meaty sax solos, smokin' organ with some Jon Lord flavours, and the succulent sweetness of that classical guitar fingerstyle. All of the jazz craziness and breathtaking romance that you gotta love the Italians for is proud on display here. Fantastic!

Bauhaus - Stairway To Escher - Apparently this was a Buon Vecchio Charlie offshoot released some time later, so it's no surprise that that same signature sax is front and centre, still blessing my ears. Incredibly creative - and super well performed - fusion material right here. 

I agree with you, those albums are excellent, some of the best italian jazz-rock bands/albums! Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 10:17
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Well to be perfectly fair it has been a while since I last span Our Oceans I just found the fluid melodic almost Mars Volta-like feel of Promenade sounded distinctly like Our Oceans. The guitar playing in particular has that jazzy mumbling quality to it that I found present in both releases. Then again may just be my ears playing tricks on me

How was that Mother Turtle btw?
It sounded like Post Rock-ish Alt Rock with some occasional Jazz flavour. I had a hard time listening to the whole thing, all the tracks are very much alike.

I really enjoyed it, very diverse and I liked the GG influences. There's a lot happening on that album, I'll have to give it another listen soon Thumbs Up

Edited by Meltdowner - January 11 2017 at 10:17
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 10:23
Today...

Gadi Caplan (twice...what a beautiful album)
Universal Totem Orchestra - Mathematical Mother
SBB - Hofors 1975 (Another excellent live album, it doesn't get to Karlstad hights but still very good)
Heldon - Un Reve Sans...
Meta Meta - mm3 (I guess this is my favorite album this year, right there with UTO)
Paatos - Timeloss
The Winstons - S/T
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 10:30
I will have to lend you my ears one day. The ol switcheroo.

Funny thing about that MT album is that everyone seems to be describing it differently. You mention GG while I feel there is an early Van Damme Generator vibe only it comes off rather psychedelic. I've heard other mention early Floyd too.
But yeah like I said, should be fun to switch those ears around

Today up until now:
Ulver - ABCCBBEJ (something with letters anyway. Genuinely enjoyed it and can't for the life of me understand why I haven't spun it for months (half year even?). Another one to cram inside an already full list.)
Thy Catafalque - Meta
Goat - Requiem
Syd Arthur - Apricity (Gets better and better with every new spin. I get why many would dislike the rather poppish natire of some of the songs, but I don't care. Sounds wonderful to these ears.)
La Bocca della Veritá - Avenoth
Hero - s/t (Strange obscurity from 1970s Italy sounding much closer to Krautrock than RPI.)
Tangerine Dream - Box Set (Reims gigs)

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 10:35
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Today...

Gadi Caplan (twice...what a beautiful album)
Universal Totem Orchestra - Mathematical Mother
SBB - Hofors 1975 (Another excellent live album, it doesn't get to Karlstad hights but still very good)
Heldon - Un Reve Sans...
Meta Meta - mm3 (I guess this is my favorite album this year, right there with UTO)
Paatos - Timeloss
The Winstons - S/T

Very nice picks there Sagi
I still have to get my hands on that SBB album, thanks for reminding me (John did too with his review)
Cool to see another fan of Gadi Caplan. Great album on first listen but at the same time a real grower...at least for me.
MM3 is da bee's knees as well - right on capitan!

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8687888990 528>