Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg elitists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 15:59
Please, elitism is typically found in those with inferior in critical skills. 

Edited by axeman - February 28 2017 at 16:00
-John
Merrimack Mike View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2017 at 07:49
Well, you know, I needed time to get my thoughts togetherSmile  Thanks for the encouragement.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2017 at 09:59
I am!!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2017 at 16:45
For me the GG discography is thin at one end,much much thicker in the middle and then thin again at the far end.
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

OK, then. What is your explicit definition of "complexity?" Also site the hundreds of examples discussed on this site. I'm failing to locate them all. What in the world does the term "prestige" have to do with complexity?

It was an obvious hyperbole.  Secondly, prestige was a wrinkle another poster introduced into the topic to artificially devalue popularity, so you may please take that up with him.  I have no idea either what is the relevance of prestige.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2017 at 11:23
Soooo....I can say Justin Biever and Britney Spears are prog artists, because they are the evolution of pop music and they are better than "technical w@nkers" like Yes and ELP. If we lack parameters, progarchives makes no sense. Let's just add The Sex Pistols and Madonna in order to screw "elitists".

I do consider Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree to be below average bands. It's not because I'm an elitist, it's because I love prog rock and I don't consider them progressive, and, in turn, they are not my cup of tea. I don't like simplistic radio-friendly pop songs. PERIOD.
I repeat, it's not elitism, but internal logic.
If someone comes here and says he loves Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Tool and Radiohead above all...I consider them to be rock fans and I almost expect them to hate Yes and ELP. It's not that I see them as inferior (no elitism whatsoever), it's just that those guys might not like prog.
We have Maiden, Sabbath and Metallica in the database...so, am I an elitist if I tell you I consider them inferior as prog bands? Really?

If I go to a hard rock forum and they have Jethro Tull in there because of Crest of a Knave, for instance...I expect Thick as a Brick to lose polls against almost every AC/DC album. It's as simple as that. Should I call them elitists for saying Thick as a Brick is an inferior hard rock album? should I diss those who think Jethro Tull is not even a rock band? hell no!

BTW, prog is a static genre with set parameters. Those, like Steven wilson, who claim prog rock is "whatever new thing that moves music forward" are wrong. If those guys were right, then punk rock is prog, electronic music is prog, boy bands are prog, etc... sorry to burst your bubble, but this is yet another music genre, not the be-all and end-all, not an all-encompassing wonder.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Mystic Mamba View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2017 at 23:05
This is a tricky subject. I have occasionally been guilty of being a prog elitist, but I have recently opened my mind to a lot of other music outside of the prog-sphere. As you can see, my profile pic is the cover of Aurora's debut album, "All My Demons Greeting Me as a Friend", which has only the faintest tiny hints of anything resembling prog, yet it has become one of my all time favorite albums. People need to realize that it's okay to like a multitude of different genres, and each genre is beautiful in its own way. We all know that Pink Floyd never reached the technical wizardry levels of Yes and ELP, but their music never really required that. It's okay if you don't like it that much, but it's not okay to say that they are obviously "worse" just because the music doesn't contain something your ears have grown to expect. Each band's style is unique and should be appreciated as such.

That's my two cents on the subject of prog elitism. Broaden your minds!
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2017 at 23:18
My definition of Elitism is pretty much: Pretentious a****les that care too much about their opinions and can't accept disagreement

There are elitists everywhere, prog in itself isn't that special either. I love Prog but it's not some privileged, unknown music that nobody likes 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2017 at 02:37
Elitism boils down to two inter-related diagrams:

The premise there is that Prog and other higher-brow forms of music occupy more of the 10% Not Crap segment than other genres, however Sturgeon's Law applies to all - 90% of Prog is also Crap just as 90% of Classical music is Crap and 90% of Jazz also. The skill of the elitist is to compare the 10% Not Crap of their pet genre with the 90% Crap of all other genres, or as I tend to put it: compare the best of what you like with the worst of what you don't.

Beyond that esoteric discussion on complexity are an interesting diversion that some do for the sheer pleasure of delving into the why's and wherefore's and the challenge of exploration while others merely high-jack those discussions to justify the above Venn diagram.
What?
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2017 at 23:31
I regularly visit a cafe where the radio plays the current UK pop chart. That 10% you mentioned is taking an awfully long time to come round Dead.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 00:22
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

I regularly visit a cafe where the radio plays the current UK pop chart. That 10% you mentioned is taking an awfully long time to come round Dead.
The state of the UK pop charts has always been lamentable but that isn't a measure of quality, it merely contains a lot of what I believe is called "urban contemporary music"; none of which I care for so I am not qualified to judge whether any of it is good or bad. That I have that fecking "Human" song currently going around in my head suggest that even though personally I cannot stand it, there is some hitherto unconsidered metric that my subconscious recognises which singles this tune out. By the standards that we measure "pop" passing old grey's whistle test is a fair indicator of Not-Crap.
What?
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 06:26
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

That I have that fecking "Human" song currently going around in my head suggest that even though personally I cannot stand it, there is some hitherto unconsidered metric that my subconscious recognises which singles this tune out.

Aargh did you have to mention that one Shocked? It does stand out though for actually copying and pasting snippets of a few different sounds rather than 1/4 of a Kraftwerk bassline.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 06:30
Was it the mention of Kraftwerk that produced the "I'm not a robot" test? And I had to select parking restriction signs in German. See how this meaningful coincidence business works?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 07:10
What's this Human song ?? Never heard it.....
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 07:35
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

What's this Human song ?? Never heard it.....

It's by this Rag N' Bone guy...
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 07:38
It's an ear-worm, I advise against listing to it
What?
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 07:42
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

It's an ear-worm, I advise against listing to it

I agree wholeheartedly.
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
rock96 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 22:25
I also love Elton John also. Elton John, Madman Across the Water, Captain fantastic and yellow brick road are top tier albums in my collection. Seen Fleetweood Mac in concert back in 2009 unleashed tour they kicked ass but were missing Christine McVie
Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2017 at 18:06

The fact that some or many of a band's songs or albums do not belong to the progressive rock genre (for example Dust in the wind/Down the Road by Kansas or Bastille Day by Rush) makes some people doubt or deny even the progressiveness of such bands' progressive songs. I personally consider Kansas a hard, prog, folk, classic rock band, I classify them in several genres, and at the same time I don’t deny their progressiveness. They have written great prog tracks. 

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2017 at 20:17
Prog was an age, not a genre;  an era wherein rock music unexpectedly peaked in a post-Beatles world more than it was something band-based.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2017 at 20:30
If your going to be elitist about anything, please make it about the protection you wear when you ****
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>