Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Songs that make you believe modern prog is better
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Songs that make you believe modern prog is better

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 04:14
How do you define "Modern" and better than what?
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 03:12
This thread is a loaded assertion/posit, IMHO.

I don't think modern prog vs classic prog should even be a thing. Era shouldn't matter. Real prog transcends the ages and is timeless. I have yet to hear anything that rivals the classic 70's stuff. I'm genuinely unimpressed by most modern bands because it sounds like they're trying to be prog instead of the style arising as a natural consequence of their passion for writing and playing.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
awaken77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awaken77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2018 at 02:04
It depends from what you consider "modern".
There was a lot of good prog in 90thies. Is it modern or ancient?  

from modern bands who started after 2000x, I love Riverside, because they established their own style, and do not clone prog from 70thies 

Edited by awaken77 - January 12 2018 at 02:05
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatfabulousalien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 23:22
Between The Buried And Me
Haken
Devin Townsend 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 23:17
I like Knifeworld and Opeth and some Finnish bands after seventies. Thatīs all to me from modern prog and I donīt think theyīre better than 60-70 prog.

Donīt like Dream Theater at all.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 21:12
No, really I don't think modern prog is better. I do enjoy a lot of modern prog, and there are many great bands/albums/songs, but really I mostly think the 70's had something special that can't be easily recreated. Perhaps it was because many of the bands did their music without trying to do prog, but only wanting to do the music that they liked and loved, and now the idea of prog is very much in the mind of prog musicians, and the new ones try to do prog itself, and then they have to include the elements of prog just for the sake of making prog.
However, if I want to go along with the thread and mention the things (not just songs) that makes me think modern prog is better (I would rather say that it is worthy and just as great as the classic ones), it would be:
First, Dream Theater. OK, they are not so modern any more, but they are not from the original classic bands, and they are one of my very favourite bands. Actually, from my top 5, they are the only one that didn't start in the 70's. There are too many songs that I love from them, though I don't really think they did any full masterpiece albums, because they always include songs that don't really do it for me.
The album "The Final Breath before November" by Edison's Children is just sublime. So, if we want to give songs, it would be "Silhouette", which takes just about the whole album with all of it's segments.
Transatlantic with the album "The Whirwind". Once again, the whole album is supposed to be a single track, so it might just as well fit the criteria.
Perhaps Cast's song "El Puente".
Opeth's "The Drapery Falls". And that's what I can think of at the moment.
condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote condor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2018 at 14:59

This and Spark in the Ether

And yes, I have changed my mind. I have no idea how long this feeling will last.

Edited by condor - January 11 2018 at 15:00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123