Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ShrinkingViolet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 80’s King Crimson
    Posted: December 27 2004 at 19:01
i would say the Belew era was best but i can't, simply because i think all stages are wonderful...you see them evolve each time into something better...Three of a perfect pair is one of ma faves though
Matt0001 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2004 at 18:53
Compared to the 80s output of the other members of the Big 3--Yes and Genesis--King Crimson trully maintained the "progressive" nature of their music.    The Discipline era albums work as a bridge between prog and 80s New Wave. While Yes and Genesis in the 80s tried to turn themselves into pop superstars, Fripp prefered to stay in musical conversation with the underground sounds of the time. Television's Marquee Moon and Discipline can be listened to in succession and it makes sense. You can't make the same leap with ABACAB.

kniprekcor View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2004 at 09:30
king crimson's Belew era is better i think and it's defined by the incredible trilogy of the crimson, blue and yellow albums

masterpieces of a new-styled prog
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 07:51

Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Originally posted by danbo danbo wrote:

However, I would suggest to any newbies to also snatch up Adrian Belew's "Desire Caught by the Tail" as a companion piece. It's my favorite Belew solo effort. Don't forget the Bears, either. Terrific!

As far as Belew's solos go, I'd plump either for 'Lone Rhino' or 'Twang Bar King' (I believe these are fairly contemporary to 'Discipline' & 'Beat').

'Desire...' is also a damned fine album, though.

The Bears and the Belew solo stuff are indeed excellent. 

I met up with a guy called Ross Rice recently who used to be the singer/writer for a Memphis based band called 'Human Radio' who has worked with Belew and he says that Adrian was an astoundingly talented guy who had a real heart. It was his belief that Belew is the perfect foil for Fripp in that the two balance each other's talents and temperaments. Ross saw the two talking and felt that there was a genuine affection between Belew & Fripp that went beyond the music. In short, they were friends.

Brings a tear to my eye.... 

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 07:13
Originally posted by danbo danbo wrote:

However, I would suggest to any newbies to also snatch up Adrian Belew's "Desire Caught by the Tail" as a companion piece. It's my favorite Belew solo effort. Don't forget the Bears, either. Terrific!

As far as Belew's solos go, I'd plump either for 'Lone Rhino' or 'Twang Bar King' (I believe these are fairly contemporary to 'Discipline' & 'Beat').

'Desire...' is also a damned fine album, though.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Emperor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 05:08

Well, my favorite KC's album is IN THE COURT, but it doesen't mean that I'm less fond of post-Red Crimson :-)

At 1st I also was surprised that 81 and other albums were absolutely not similar to ITCOTKC or Lizard or Red. I was disappointed. But after I’ve got THRaK, I’ve got into all those 80s albums too! The “Skeleton” of the band (Fripp) has remained the same, only the “Surface” was changed! 

I also need to admit the definite influence of Brian Eno (and even maybe of Talking Heads!) to KC of 80s. But anyway they always were original and clever Prog-Grands as they are! At least they practically has avoided of that generic "all-things-occupied" sound of 80s...

Hasn't somebody listened KC’s ProjeKCts and TraKaTTaK, BTW?

I Prophesy Disaster...
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2004 at 12:18

I agree the second debut was far more interesting. 

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Eddy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2004 at 12:13
i like disipline more then i like in the court. the first debut sound lanky
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2004 at 12:08
Originally posted by Cesar Inca Cesar Inca wrote:

4 1/2 stars for 'Discipline'; 4 stars for 'Three of a Perfect Pair'; 3 stars for 'Beat'.

Regards.

I have to agree. Discipline raise the bar that Beat and Three didn't achieve, but all are strong albums of creative music that stood head and shoulders above the music being played at the time. For me, Beat was too much about Belew's singing, which can be little taking in too much wasabe in one bite. I thought Sartori in Tangier was the best track on Beat simply because it is an instrumental.

sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2004 at 09:25
Originally posted by Cesar Inca Cesar Inca wrote:

4 1/2 stars for 'Discipline'; 4 stars for 'Three of a Perfect Pair'; 3 stars for 'Beat'.

Regards.

I think that's a fair summation .

Being subjective however I love 'em all to bits.

I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2004 at 07:52

Regards.

Edited by Cesar Inca
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2004 at 04:58
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Of all the KC I've heard, which is not everything by means, my favourite album will always be RED.

It is a truly visionary album, laying down the blueprints for the grunge scene that emerged many years later, albeit played alot better!!! Kurt Cobain thought it was the best album ever and you can hear the influence on tracks like 'Fallen Angel' and 'Red'

Sorry sigod, I'm digressing badly from your 80's KC theme..

Digression is half the fun.

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2004 at 03:28
Discipline was actually my first exposure to KC (as a fey 17 year old....) - played to me because I'd admired Belew's work with Bowie & Talking Heads.

Given the time these albums came out, their sound and production was stunning and, I believe, groundbreaking - at a time when many of the 'dinosaurs' were in creative decline, Fripp picked KC up by its bootstraps, and progressed.

I will always have great affection for these three albums, and I feel they are three of the best (certainly most consistent) albums of Fripp's career......to date

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 23:47

3 great, classic, 4-5 star albums, IMO.Big smile

I like 'em all.Thumbs Up Sue me.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Prog_Bassist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 23:28
I love 80's crimson.

I'm getting the Neal and Jack and Me dvd sometime after christmas!
project23 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 22:30
Check out the Neal And Jack And Me DVD for this version of the band in a live setting (two live settings actually) getting down.
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 18:35

Those three albums were my second favorite "avatar" of King Crimson.  I thought all three were excellent, from beginning to end.  They have to be taken on their own merits though, and not compared to other things.  And even if one doesn't like all the compositions on all three, when listened to as a trilogy (open-mindedly) they not only make a great deal of "sense" together, but display an inter-cohesive brilliance that only Crimson (via Fripp) could achieve.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 17:23
My favorite King Crimson. Adrian Belew is so amazing. I would be satisfied if this was all the King Crimson I owned.
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 16:52

I consider those three albums to be the single finest works of progressive rock in the 80s.

I still like the "Red" era better, but I would gladly trade every 80s neo-prog album (in addition to the contemporaneous works by the classic prog bands) for "Discipline" alone, and "Three of a Perfect Pair" and "Beat" are perfect examples of 80s technology and progressive ideals merging in a completely unexpected and unmatched way. I think several of the songs could have even been significant radio hits if they'd had some promotion behind them.

Plus, I heard "Neil and Jack and Me" about the same time I was beginning a lifelong love affair with the Beat writers.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 16:21

I like Discipline a lot - it's got a great sound, and the execution is devastatingly precise - to me it doesn't sound like a 1980's album at all; The first time I heard Spock's Beard (a track called "Gibberish" - not sure which album it's on), I thought "Hello, they've nicked that sound from Discipline".

It has a peculiar, angular drive to it that keeps me listening - although it's not really a regular visitor to my turntable. One of those "Fine wine" albums that you revisit every once in a while just to enjoy the taste.

"The more I look at it - the more I like it!"

Sadly I haven't managed to track down the other two in any local vinyl shops.

Edited by Certif1ed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>