Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non-British Canterbury Style albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which of these albums is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [21.43%]
8 [19.05%]
1 [2.38%]
1 [2.38%]
3 [7.14%]
4 [9.52%]
1 [2.38%]
1 [2.38%]
4 [9.52%]
0 [0.00%]
10 [23.81%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2018 at 21:19
Thanks for the post. I agree that the Canterbury Sound has some key characteristics that give it an identity and make it timeless - it is a sound that can be shared and doesn't have to pertain to any specific place or time. MGP, Supersister, Cos, Picchio - all great. I haven't heard Patrick Forgaz, Zyma, or Dedalus yet though (or Travelling until now). Will have to listen to them before I vote, and to Recreation, Kandahar, Pazop...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 00:51
Cos, MGP, Forgaz, Muffins, Supersister: all great bands. Had the pleasure of watching Supersister perform at ProgFest 2000 (the final one).
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 06:14
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

This list is missing at least three to six albums coming from Belgium:

the two Recreation albums (we're close to Egg at times)
the first two (maybe three) Kandahar albums
Pazop's posthumous release

I think not. This list came from "Canterbury Scene" albums from the 1970s. Guess I wouldn't know Recreation as you (Sean) placed them in Avant/RIO and Pazop as their album releases are only listed as "2016" and Kandahar is listed in Jazz Rock/Fusion while sounding like ITCOTCK and space rock. There are many albums out there that have "feelings" or "moments" of Canterbury stylings but are not listed as such as there are "Canterbury Scene" albums that I would never place in the Canterbury group were it not for their band members or histories.
Yet you included Dedalus - which makes sense to me as they do have a lot in common with early 70's Soft Machine, but they too are placed in Jazz Rock/Fusion. But nobody has full overview. There's plenty more bands from around the world that would have been listed as Canterbury if they came from that scene geographically.   
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 09:49
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

This list is missing at least three to six albums coming from Belgium:

the two Recreation albums (we're close to Egg at times)
the first two (maybe three) Kandahar albums
Pazop's posthumous release

I think not. This list came from "Canterbury Scene" albums from the 1970s. Guess I wouldn't know Recreation as you (Sean) placed them in Avant/RIO and Pazop as their album releases are only listed as "2016" and Kandahar is listed in Jazz Rock/Fusion while sounding like ITCOTCK and space rock. There are many albums out there that have "feelings" or "moments" of Canterbury stylings but are not listed as such as there are "Canterbury Scene" albums that I would never place in the Canterbury group were it not for their band members or histories.

Certainly not me that placed Recreation in the RIO/Avant (read my album reviews >> read them all, FTM, they all talk of Canterbury) 
Or Kandahar in the JR/F genres, FTM (read also my reviews >> read them all, FTM, they all talk of Canterbury)

I guess they got moved afterwards, but I'm definitely unhappy of this

As for Pazop, I take it's Quinino that undid what was done before and introduced vinyl reissues that are highly doubtful (cos they never existed), not only in terms of date , but also in terms of validity in terms of historical releases. The album' recording sessions dates from the first part of the 70's and the Musea's CD dates from 96 and that was their first release.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 10:09
I wasn't going to vote as there so much that I like here. Glad to see Dedalus included despite how it's classified at PA. Classification at this site is hardly ideal as we can't tag albums specifically, and we can only add bands under one category (if I were to do a British Canterbury Scene/ Sound list, for instance, I would include Henry Cow albums).

It's rare that I don't vote for Cos in a poll which includes it, and Picchio dal Pozzo's self-titled was my favourite album for some time, and I do like all of these that are listed, but decided to give a vote to Zyma's Thoughts as I figured no one else will. I like its Canterbury meets jazzy Zeuhl stylings which is reminiscent of Zao. I also love some others that have been mentioned -- that Travelling album which has been mentioned by Saperlipopette! and Digdug is excellent/ Also, Pazop would make my list (those albums are from early 70s recordings, worth checking out for those who like Moving Gelatine Plates, imo, by the way, I also favour MGP's debut).

Another that might interest those into Canterbury sounds/ flavours that I haven't noticed mentioned is Germany's Brainstorm (I might call it Jazz-Krauterbury). To give some flavours of the band:

Xhol Caravan's Electrip (1969) is another German one that may be of interest as well as is Annexus Quam's "Osmose". Mexico's El Tarro de Mostaza might be of interest for it's rathee early Canterburian psych flavours, and the Soviet Melodiya Ensemble is another that could be of interest to Canterbury Scene lovers on the jazz-funky "Labyrinth".
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 17:50
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

I love every album on this list and have a soft spot for the too obscure Patrick Forgas Cocktail! It's very hard
to choose here actually, today I'll give it to The Muffins.

I agree with Sagi, man what a list! And even the other albums people have mentioned,I just have a huge soft spot for this style of music. Not sure if I can pick one, maybe later.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 02:07
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I wasn't going to vote as there so much that I like here. Glad to see Dedalus included despite how it's classified at PA. Classification at this site is hardly ideal as we can't tag albums specifically, and we can only add bands under one category (if I were to do a British Canterbury Scene/ Sound list, for instance, I would include Henry Cow albums).

No, It's not on the album level that's the problem. I'd say that PA's biggest flaws are the genre teams and the way they're tied to a single genre

HC is definitely RIO in my book without them, the movement would've never existed), but indeed Legend (or Leg End) is Canterburian to my ears.

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 02:45

No, It's not on the album level that's the problem. I'd say that PA's biggest flaws are the genre teams and the way they're tied to a single genre

HC is definitely RIO in my book without them, the movement would've never existed), but indeed Legend (or Leg End) is Canterburian to my ears.
Yeah here's the genre tags for LegEnd on RYM: Rock in Opposition, Canterbury Scene 
Avant-Garde Jazz - how hard can that be to introduce on PA (just swap the avantgarde-tag for jazz rock/fusion I guess)?

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 05:21
Haven't heard the Forgaz album but am certainly interested in trying it out. Out of the rest it's a really hard pick, but I guess I'll vote for Picchio dal Pozzo's stunning debut as I heard it here the other day.
Sidenote: am I the only one who hears a distinct Krautrock flavour on the album opener?

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 31 2018 at 05:23
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 08:38
Hi David, good to see you posting again, and John too. I hear Krautrock type flavours in the opening, on the album, also on Seppia, but that's partially because of its experimental "avant-prog"/ jazzy jammy qualities. Picchio dal Pozzo is not worlds apart from Krautrock bands, and Krautrock people also commonly like Canterbury Scene and Avant Prog music.

Not complaining, the OP can come up with any lists he likes and there's plenty for me to love as is, but I would have liked to see Abbiamo tutti i suoi problemi in the list too. About a decade ago, "Mettiamo il caso" was my favourite PdP track.

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Yeah here's the genre tags for LegEnd on RYM: Rock in Opposition, Canterbury Scene 
Avant-Garde Jazz - how hard can that be to introduce on PA (just swap the avantgarde-tag for jazz rock/fusion I guess)?

Of course Henry Cow is a Rock in Opposition band as founder. I would call RIO, especially of of the late 70s, more of a collective than a musical "genre". They got the first concert/ movement going, but the first Rock in Opposition concert wasn't until 1978, the year before Western Culture came out and three years after In Praise of Learning came out. While LegEnd is the most Canterburian in sound, I would say that all of their albums have some element of a Canterbury Sound. I would rather the genre teams not be tied to one genre, though I would like individual album multi-tagging. Anyway, that has been discussed ad finitum. Had I set up the site, I think that I would have done it more rateyourmusic or ProgFreak style. Our sister sites, Jazzmusicarchives and metalmusicarchives, were able to implement better systems. It would take a lot to make major changes here, though it would be easy to add descriptors to the existent categories if one wanted to. But I don;t wish to sidetrack the conversation here. My point was that classification is limited at PA, and it helps to think outside that box. Let your own ears be your guide, and one can also check other sites to see how they classify bands.

As for how rateyourmusic classifies Henry Cow:

Legend (1973):
Genres     Rock in Opposition, Canterbury Scene
Avant-Garde Jazz, Canterbury Scene

Unrest (1974):
Genres     Rock in Opposition
Avant-Garde Jazz, Free Improvisation, Canterbury Scene, Modern Classical

Desperate Straights (1975) (Slapp Happy / Henry Cow)
Genres     Rock in Opposition, Progressive Pop, Art Pop
Cabaret

In Praise of Learning (1975):
Genres     Rock in Opposition
Canterbury Scene, Jazz-Rock, Free Improvisation

Western Culture (1979):
Genres Rock in Opposition, Avant-Prog
Canterbury Scene

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/henry-cow

Edited by Logan - August 31 2018 at 08:52
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2018 at 16:45
I really like The Winstons out of Italy, apparently they have a new one coming out, but their debut struck a chord with me.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 06:25
Hi John
I love The Winstons too!!! Had no idea about an upcoming album though. Can't wait!
Gotta say I've realy been enjoying your latest reviews. I keep reminding myself to send you a pm...and then forget about it. I mildly blame captcha because it's been such a pain in the derriere trying to mail people over the last year or so. Well at least for me it has.
Anyway how's it hanging up in Canada? We just had the summer of the century here in Denmark with "Spanish weather" for nigh on 4 months straight.
On another note: have you heard Mildlife's Phase? 2018 album that brings the funk! (and proggy disco to the partay)

Greg! Nice to hear from you too buddy. That Krautrock almost swampy-like texture of the opener was what initially pulled me in with Picchio dal Pozzo. It was first a little later the more Canterburian trades really opened up to me, but I guess I've always been a psychedelically inclined individual. Probably also why early Softs is my fave period of the band and that Caravan along with Gong were my first loves inside this wonderful little scene. Both bands share that oozing 60s psych feel that I've always adored. Sorta like this bubbly blanket of music that has a way of putting my mind at ease and often making it open up to visuals in the music that the creators of the very same never in a million years would have thought of. Yup I like psych
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 08:05
I hear you, David. Psych, or a psych element, is commonly what attracts me to music. I've thought before that a psych ingredient most informs the music that I most often listen to and seek out. It's why acid folk, Krautrock etc. is so important to me, and my favourite jazz commonly has a psychedelic component. Caravan and Gong were my first Canterbury loves. I think a love of psych may be the most common denominator between myself and others who share similar tastes, such as yourself, Saperlipopette and others, who share a love for lots of similar music. And I also think that often extends to films that we enjoy. Love that oozing 60s psych feel. By the way, I wish I had your way with words and describing experience, that where I may be a bit too "straight" to open myself up to better powers of description. I need to take a little "trip" to release some creative potential, methinks.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 08:25
Thanks man I really appreciate it. I guess I write like I talk: lots of everyday speach and slang, madeup words and the occasional fancy with the grandiose...the latter is something that was passed down from my dad..and his dad before and so forth. In that sense we're all very 'theatrical' and surely why most of them worked with theatre or films. I use my tricks on autists instead Half of the experience is missing though ie jazzy hands and wild Monty Python-like gestures. John Cleese seemed to seep into my bones at a very early age.

If I may: I am most oftenly jealous of people who are able to express themselves succinctly and on point without being dry. I only master the last bit ie not being dry and that's usually with clown shoes on. I am completely in agreement with you regarding our mutual love of psych elements, but I would have made a mess out of explaining it to others like you just did Chaos comes at a cost.

Speaking of Canterbury sounding albums: last night I span Hiro Yanagida's Hirocosmos and was again pleasantly surprised of how Canterburian it sounds...and how much I love it yet always seem to forget about it's existence!

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 08:42
Succinct is not something I do that well except when work calls for it. You're gifted in expression, and I love it when people can do such turns of phrase while actually expressing something meaningful as you do. Monty Python and family helps, and one needs a creative bent. When I was younger, I was better with words. A good associative and fluidic mind really helps, but as we get older, often the mind becomes more rigid and it becomes harder to make associations and think outside of too narrow boxes. Basically, we get more conservative in thought and less open-minded, but I still have open ears. :)

Unless my memory fails me, I think somehow I have missed listening to Hiro Yanagida's Hirocosmos before. Youtubing it now and absolutely loving it! The best thing about doing such topics for me is discovering and re-dicovering music, so thanks.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 08:51
Maybe my understanding of succint is a little different to your's Or maybe I just used the wrong word. What I am getting at is that some folks, like you, can very elegantly yet done in a simple manner explain cryptic/complex matters to people so as they actually come to a better understanding of the matter.
I am better at explaining things to people that they already know...but in a "different" way.

Alright let's get a room and be done with it!
Heh...
All kidding aside I'm glad you're digging that Hirocosmos. I had a feeling you might.

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 09:23
No, you've used it correctly. Some people are far too terse. I just thought that I overcomplicated things sometimes and tend to ramble. It's hard to get that balance right, I find, in trying to express ideas fully enough that others will understand and appreciate while not going on so long that people switch off. And also in writing in an entertaining fashion while being sufficiently clear (style and substance are important to me). I love to write when it's not work, and I do want to become more expressive and creative and a more effective communicator of ideas. I want to get back to doing more creative writing where I can let my imagination and humour fly free.

Sorry, I don't want Drew to think that this is thread-hijacking (though I think the best threads often go off on tangents).

That Hirocosmos is a fantastic album. Loved it, and it's one I need to buy.   It's one of the best that I've discovered here. I wish it was in my 1973 Canterbury Sounds albums poll, but at least it's on my list now.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 15:55
Much to love here.

will be going with THe Muffins. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 16:15
Amoeba Split...Dance of the Goodbyes....
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2022 at 11:49
Bump with a vote to the 'Gelatines self-titled (haven't heard Genius Hans) closely followed by both Cos albums. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>