FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

which songs gives you "'goosebumps''

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2019 at 12:23
There must be many.. but the ones I remember now, that also frequently come accompanied by watery eyes (mainly in Rush), are these:

Rush:

ˇ A Farewell to Kings: 

The combination of power and those amazing, epic, beautiful, direct, addressing, historical, justice and better society through intelligence and common sense driven lyrics... being screamed by Geddy:

Can't we find
The minds that made us strong?
Oh can't we learn
To feel what's right and what's wrong? What's wrong

[Lifeson's breaking guitar solo over the bass and drums section]

Cities full of hatred
Fear and lies
Withered hearts
And cruel, tormented eyes
Scheming demons
Dressed in kingly guise
Beating down the multitude
And scoffing at the wise
Whoa can't we raise our eyes
And make a start?
Can't we find the minds
To lead us closer to the heart?

ˇ Xanadu 
   The ending guitar solo from that starting low note (but it could easily be the entire song: the birds, synth, chimes and guitar with volume effect at the beginning and the breaking of the drums & guitar picking after that).

ˇ Here Again
   The slow guitar solo

Genesis:

ˇ The Fountain of Salmacis
   The ending march with the guitar solo

ˇ One for the Vine
   The synth part near the end

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 19:47
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Many songs, but the violin solo part of Losing It (Rush, from Signals) is exhilarating.

Good call....I'm gonna play it now for the Oz!Big smile
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 15:26
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Many songs, but the violin solo part of Losing It (Rush, from Signals) is exhilarating.

Good call....I'm gonna play it now for the Oz!Big smile

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 15:07
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 14:58
Neal Morse Band "A Love That Never Dies"

Gets me every time.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 13:42
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Big Neil - Powderfinger

That album is so amazing. Powderfinger and Thrasher, especially. 

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 13:20
Anything from Icehouse

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 10:21
Big Neil - Powderfinger

Strawbs - The Hangman

VdGG - Arrow

Many Oldfield guitar solos.
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deafmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 05:08
Apocalypse in 9/8 section of Supper's Ready by Genesis, In The Dead Of Night by U.K., Romantic Warrior by Return To Forever, Further Away by I.Q., Watermelon In Easter Hay Frank Zappa.

Edited by deafmoon - June 03 2019 at 05:08
Deafmoon
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2019 at 14:44
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Camel is a band with many songs that give me chills

Song within a Song, particularly the ending gets me every time. It's just out of this world.

Echoes by them as well, the verse in particular

There's really several throughout several throughout what ive listened to so far (Mirage, Snow goose, Moonmadness, Rain Dances, Breathless, Rajaz, Nod and a Wink) they're simply one of my favorite bands ever.

Outside of that I can only really think of The ending of Suppers Ready and Cinema Show.

Perhaps the Night Watch by King Crimson and Starless

I feel the same about Camel, very emotional and moody music.  That part where Andy sings about the red guitar on Rajaz (Straight to my heart?)  -- that part gets me every time.
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2019 at 13:46
Two more: July Morning and Gypsy (both from Uriah Heep), when the swirling Hammond and heavy guitar riffs blend, an adrenaline rush, so exciting and compelling!

Edited by TenYearsAfter - June 02 2019 at 13:49
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2019 at 12:51
Camel is a band with many songs that give me chills

Song within a Song, particularly the ending gets me every time. It's just out of this world.

Echoes by them as well, the verse in particular

There's really several throughout several throughout what ive listened to so far (Mirage, Snow goose, Moonmadness, Rain Dances, Breathless, Rajaz, Nod and a Wink) they're simply one of my favorite bands ever.

Outside of that I can only really think of The ending of Suppers Ready and Cinema Show.

Perhaps the Night Watch by King Crimson and Starless
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2019 at 00:29
Originally posted by TenYearsAfter TenYearsAfter wrote:

The final parts of The Musical Box (Genesis), Forgotten Sons (Marillion) and Out Of The Blue (Roxy Music) on Viva!, the mindblowing violin solo by Jobson.

I think that may be my favourite live album. What a line up they had at that time!
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2019 at 10:07
Watchtower - solo to Fall of Reason, UK - In the Dead of Night, Allan Holdsworth - The Unmerry Go Round, Yes - Starship Trooper outro, Yes - opening to It Can Happen, Barnabas - opening to Breathless Wonderment, Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb, Tori Amos - Silent All These Years, King's X - Out of the Silent Planet, Zebra - Who's Behind the Door, Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover, Yngwie Malmsteen - Icarus Dream Suite, Triumph - The Blinding Light Show, Gary Numan - Films and Cars, Devo - Beautiful World, Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms and opening to Money for Nothing, Big Country - In a Big Country, Scorpions - Sails of Charon, Michael Schenker - Captain Nemo, Rush - Broon's Bane/Trees/Xanadu sequence on Exit Stage Left, Kate Bush - Jig of Life and Under Ice, Police - Don't Stand So Close to Me, Message in a Bottle, Driven to Tears, and Secret Journey, King Crimson - In the Hall of the Crimson King and Elephant Talk, ELP - Lucky Man, Tarkus, and Toccata Ginastera, Genesis - Dancing With the Moonlit King, Tool - Schism, ... there's just too many!!! I give up.
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2019 at 06:58
The final parts of The Musical Box (Genesis), Forgotten Sons (Marillion) and Out Of The Blue (Roxy Music) on Viva!, the mindblowing violin solo by Jobson.
GingerFox View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GingerFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2019 at 00:09
The opening of Watcher of the Skies - Genesis

Firth of Fifth - Genesis

The Musical Box - Genesis

Hide in Your Shell - Supertramp

Nothing Left - Schizoid Lloyd

Father to Son - Queen

Supper's Ready - Genesis

Have a Cigar and Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

Pantagruel's Nativity - Gentle Giant

Boy Blue - ELO

Henry: Portraits From Tudor Times - Anthony Phillips

Where my country at?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 17:56
Soft Machine's "Song of Aeolus" from Softs is one that always shakes me up a bit.

Also Camel's "Watching the Bobbins" from Harbour of Tears is one that I find quite moving.

Renaissance's "Song of Scheherazade" always gets me too.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 17:52
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Kate Bush - Moving, Lionheart, and this one...

I'll never forget getting the Aerial CD after waiting so many years for a new release from her.  I enjoyed disc 1, but was blown away by disc 2, and by the time Nocturn finished, and Aerial started, I was near tears.  At the close of Aerial (and the end of the CD) I was just weeping.

Can't say that's ever happened to me before listening to music.  I can get choked-up, but that one just did me in.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 17:47
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

I just listened to Supertramp
-A Soapbox Opera
-Another Man's Woman
-Just A Normal Day
-School
-Rudy
-Crime of the Century
-Travelled
-Rosie Had Everything Planned

in order... Chills .. My #2 group ever.

Full agreement on "Just A Normal Day" - and several from Crime of the Century - that album is killer, and it always gets to me.  But it's one I can't pick and choose songs from - I just have to listen to the whole thing from start to finish.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2019 at 16:55
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Wow, I've had goosebumps from so many songs, but I'll pick out a couple:

Yes - "And You And I". The part where the music swells and Jon comes in with "Coming quickly to terms of all expression laid. Emotion revealed is the ocean maid". Gets me every time, even after 30 years.

VdGG "La Rossa" from "Still Life".
"Drown me drown me now and hold me down before your naked hunger, burn me on the altar of the night. Give me life!"
That powerful sense of longing for something seemingly unobtainable, but which will provide ultimate meaning and fulfillment.
Such a powerful emotion and certainly gives me shivers.

Also, from the same album, the ending of "Childlike Faith in Childhoods End":
"And though dark is the highway, and the peaks distance breaks my heart, for I never shall see it still I play my part. Believing that what waits for us is the cosmos compared to the dust of the past. In the death of mere humans life shall start."
Powerful stuff that never fails to bring a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye.

Great posting, although I've loved these already, it puts them wonderfully in the spotlight. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>