FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

God

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 13:11
Originally posted by Odvin Draoi Odvin Draoi wrote:

I'm more of an apatheist, actually. I just am not interested in such concepts. 

you mean to say it makes no difference for you if God exists or no?

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 12:59
I'm more of an apatheist, actually. I just am not interested in such concepts. 
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 12:52

There are many mysteries in life. A smart atheist notices them, too. 

I actually don't believe there are any real atheists. atheists don't deny God, they deny a certain concept of God (usually the concept of the Christian, Islamic or Jewish faith). that's why my first question to an atheist is always what his concept of God is. I have actually even heard stupid answers like "I don't need a concept; he doesn't exist". that's about the same as denying the existence of, for example, tigers. if you don't have a concept of what a tiger is it might be a nice fluffy rodent fitting into your hand, and the statement "tigers don't exist" becomes absolutely meaningless

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 12:40
you misunderstand. when people think of, for example, a chair, they think of it occupying some space in their home. but the chair exists in space-time, not just space. all these so-called "things" are in reality processes, including this entity called "Jean". with a person this is obvious, but with for example a chair it is much less obvious because the involved process is so slow. and the sum of all these processes is God

omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 12:25
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I believe Everything is God.  The Universe and the spaces between are God.  You and I are parts of God, pretending we're us, contemplating God.   Therefore, whatever you say is so...and so it is. 

that is part of our believe too. however, a very basic belief is that there are no such things as "things". there are no such things as elementary particles, atoms, stones, chairs, bacteria, animals, plants, mushrooms, human beings or whatever

So if I'm holding a cup in my hand I'm holding nothing? Not sure how that works? 
( Speaking of mushrooms, I may need some mushrooms to figure this one out. Wink

I believe that God is pretending to be everything else.  God pretending to be Jean.  God pretending to be Argo holding (God, pretending to be a cup) 
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 11:54

I believe Everything is God.  The Universe and the spaces between are God.  You and I are parts of God, pretending we're us, contemplating God.   Therefore, whatever you say is so...and so it is. 

that is part of our believe too. however, a very basic belief is that there are no such things as "things". there are no such things as elementary particles, atoms, stones, chairs, bacteria, animals, plants, mushrooms, human beings or whatever

So if I'm holding a cup in my hand I'm holding nothing? Not sure how that works? 
( Speaking of mushrooms, I may need some mushrooms to figure this one out. Wink

Edited by Argo2112 - August 01 2019 at 11:54
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 11:53

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 11:48

omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 05:17
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 05:09

I have pointed out several times that I fall into neither category. as far as I know the belief Friede and I have, which we came up with after countless discussions, is pretty unique. we believe in an evolving God, as a result of the laws of nature. Gaia, who we are High Priestesses of, is a sub-entity of this God

That sounds pretty sensible, a God developing along with all other aspects of the Universe.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 04:10
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ What your describing is nature.   Nothing more and nothing less.   Not sure what you mean by 'the part of the universe that we're aware of'--  do you mean the part we can observe which is clearly minuscule, or the possibility that something else exists entirely that would remain undetectable even by a more advanced civilization?

Further, it seems that generally those who believe in a Higher Intelligence (God) will always do so, and those that see things in a scientific/para-physical way also will always do so.

and those who believe there is nothing but what can be checked by science exists will also always do so.

I have pointed out several times that I fall into neither category. as far as I know the belief Friede and I have, which we came up with after countless discussions, is pretty unique. we believe in an evolving God, as a result of the laws of nature. Gaia, who we are High Priestesses of, is a sub-entity of this God

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2019 at 23:03
I don't believe in God, but I encourage everyone to worship my ancestors.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2019 at 12:56
Ok I read some of your posts and I see a lot of good and evil, and free will. Yeah I was shown that the purpose of this life is basically to learn and grow as people/spirits. Free will is necessary for this. And so unfortunately some will choose to do evil, until they learn a better way.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 08:00
You would need to go back and read my prior posts.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 07:59
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Exercise in rational thought. If we accept that time and space are infinite then I would think that a 'Higher Intelligence' almost certainly exists somewhere. This is obviously apart from my own personal experiences telling me that it's so. If we think that the part of the universe that we're aware of is all that exists anywhere then we're like the ant who thinks his hill and immediate surrounding areas are the whole world. Think about it.

I was pointing out that an exercise in rational thought can lead to the idea of a higher power outside the known universe and that belief and unbelief are purely matters of faith.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 17:52
Right. You're right. As far as your question about the part of the universe we're aware of, ok again the 'space is infinite' thing. And by space I don't necessarily mean 'outer space' but just space.. like the space between you and your computer, or maybe whatever is on the outside of our universe(if it's expanding then it needs space to expand into).

I don't really believe in the God of the Old Testament, just doesn't seem believable to me. But a 'Higher Power' and One that communicates with me sometimes.. for sure.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 17:08
^ What your describing is nature.   Nothing more and nothing less.   Not sure what you mean by 'the part of the universe that we're aware of'--  do you mean the part we can observe which is clearly minuscule, or the possibility that something else exists entirely that would remain undetectable even by a more advanced civilization?

Further, it seems that generally those who believe in a Higher Intelligence (God) will always do so, and those that see things in a scientific/para-physical way also will always do so.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 16:15
Exercise in rational thought. If we accept that time and space are infinite then I would think that a 'Higher Intelligence' almost certainly exists somewhere. This is obviously apart from my own personal experiences telling me that it's so. If we think that the part of the universe that we're aware of is all that exists anywhere then we're like the ant who thinks his hill and immediate surrounding areas are the whole world. Think about it.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 08:08
I'm not being sarcastic or tongue in cheek when I say this but I think you can see why I deemed it necessary to undertake an exercise in rational thought.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 06:35
Originally posted by patrickq patrickq wrote:

Something that really doesn’t seem to make sense is for believers to be offended by blasphemy. Hear me out here. I’m not talking about heresy. It does make sense for believers to actively oppose false teachings about their belief system. But blasphemy, “the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God,” sounds like something God should handle himself. If he’s insulted, he can punish the blasphemer now or in the hereafter. On the other hand, why would God be offended? It seems like that would be the same as you or I being angry at a two-year-old sticking his tongue out at us. For either of us to fly off the handle would be a sign of instability or irrationally. For us to insist that the other children punish the offending child would be petty and cruel.

If you insult god, you insult the believers. They may tell you it's about god but that's probably just projection.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>