Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

God

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2019 at 08:19
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

a very basic belief is that there are no such things as "things". there are no such things as elementary particles, atoms, stones, chairs, bacteria, animals, plants, mushrooms, human beings or whatever

Well really there's just the same stuff that's been around since the Big Bang. We need to treat it as separate things for practical purposes but yes you don't actually make a chair in the sense of creating one where there was nothing before or transforming something else into "chair-stuff".
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2019 at 16:07
I thought this was an interesting topic which I might bump.

I wanted to do another about the persecution of atheists (discrimination against atheists around the world) and special privileges that the religious get, but currently lack the brain power to come up with what I would hope to be an interesting and thought-provoking opening post

By the way, while I am an atheist (I don't claim God that does not exist, but I don't believe a God or Gods exist -- I needn't have certainty), I still feel uncomfortable telling people that I am an atheist.

Edited by Logan - November 01 2019 at 16:13
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2019 at 17:30
Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

There is nothing you can do to offend God.
He will not forgive you for anything.
He will not punish you for anything.
His will is for his wayward children to return home.

If you changed that to,

There probably is nothing you can do to offend God.
He probably will not forgive you for anything.
He probably will not punish you for anything.
He probably does not exist,

then it would work better for me -- although probably is not the ideal word, as I have no way to calculate any probability when it comes to this. I can't say what is probable, but I see no valid reason to believe in God or accept certain vague notions as God, or infer traits or will on this "whatever" that I don't believe in or define as God. Instead of probably, I'll say that it does not very plausibly seem to exist for me. I could still think of better word....
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2019 at 17:35
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you might be talking about Eric Clapton, the only living guitar god. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 01 2019 at 17:38
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2019 at 17:37
I'm also an atheist when it comes to "Clapton is God". ;)
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 00:42
My personal def.:
Gods (or sometimes God) was originally a concept that humans created due to their natural fear of the unknown, soon evolved into a disaster of unreal violence and an excuse for them to oppress other humans.  

Edited by tamijo_II - November 02 2019 at 00:47
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 01:02
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I expect that various atheists and theists also have fairly vague conceptions of God. Some would be thinking of an Abrahamic God with a white beard, booming voice, and some anger issues.

PA has made me laugh out loud twice in one day LOLClap
On a more serious note, the problem most staunch atheists are forced to confront is that it is impossible to prove a negative i.e. absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I would consider myself as someone who believes that any human interaction with what might be deemed a transcendental agent is unattainable or simply unknowable.
This pussy agnostic is hoping that even Hell has a door policy

Edited by ExittheLemming - November 02 2019 at 01:15
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 06:34
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I expect that various atheists and theists also have fairly vague conceptions of God. Some would be thinking of an Abrahamic God with a white beard, booming voice, and some anger issues.

PA has made me laugh out loud twice in one day LOLClap
On a more serious note, the problem most staunch atheists are forced to confront is that it is impossible to prove a negative i.e. absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I would consider myself as someone who believes that any human interaction with what might be deemed a transcendental agent is unattainable or simply unknowable.
This pussy agnostic is hoping that even Hell has a door policy

Art I of the Gospell of St-Trane:

God is not the worst invention of man, since it doesn't exist.... However by far the worst and most destructive invention of mankind is religion: the obligation to worship something that doesn't exist.

Big smile

npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npjnpj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2019 at 10:12
Deleted

Edited by npjnpj - November 24 2019 at 10:47
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2019 at 11:57
Not only made up, but also to blame for all that darn Neal Morse music!
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2019 at 12:05
^  LOL and that one made me laugh.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2019 at 13:19

no, Logan. this is why I
made the example with the tiger. saying that you don't belief in the
existence of something only makes sense if you have a clear concept of
what that something is supposed to be. if someone says "I don't believe
in the existence of tigers" he means "I don't believe in the existence
of catlike predatory animals with dark vertical stripes on
reddish-orange fur with a lighter underside, with a length of 250-390 cm
and a weight of 90-306 kg for males and a length of 200-270 cm and a
weight of 65-167 kg for females, depending on subspecies". this is a
concept of a tiger most people have.

there are,
however, so many different concepts and definitions of "God" that
saying "I don't believe in God" is meaningless unless you give a clear
definition of what you mean when you speak of "God". saying you don't
believe in the existence of something that you have no idea of what it
is supposed to be in the first place is simply meaningless, and I
consider you to be too intelligent for that

Wrong BaldJean. Believing in something is a cognitive act. Disbelieving in something is a cognitive act. Not believing in something is not an act at all. I don't believe in God, and I disbelieve in several concepts of God as well.

I actually
don't believe there are any real atheists. atheists don't deny
God, they deny a certain concept of God (usually the concept of the
Christian, Islamic or Jewish faith). that's why my first question to an
atheist is always what his concept of God is. I have actually even heard
stupid answers like "I don't need a concept; he doesn't exist". that's
about the same as denying the existence of, for example, tigers. if you
don't have a concept of what a tiger is it might be a nice fluffy rodent
fitting into your hand, and the statement "tigers don't exist" becomes
absolutely meaningless
. My first question to a theist is always what sort of concept of Demiurge are you trying to convince me of? Your tiger analogy breaks down, because, unlike belief in tigers, belief in God/Goddess does not end with the question of whether he/she exists. Even if one comes to believe in the existence of a "Deity", it does not answer the question whether one should rightly worship that deity as "God" (and 'worship' is the sense in which we use the word 'belief', btw). This is the difference between Agnostics and Atheists. So if I deny the existence of tigers because I have no concept of a tiger, that is meaningless, irrespective of what furry creature I may be holding, true. However, it is not meaningless to say that I see no reason to worship it, because there is no implication that one should even consider it. With "God", the implication that one might worship him/her/it is there, but is not a foregone conclusion from a philosophical standpoint (for an Atheist) and therefore not meaningless. Agnostics are misguided because the existence of a Creator may be debatable, but the existence of God is wholly opinion driven. Agnostics ignore the 'worship' sense of the meaning of '(religious) belief' and treat the issue solely as a matter of existence/non-existence.

Edited by HackettFan - November 24 2019 at 13:47
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2019 at 13:54
I've only got room in my life to worship one higher being. Wink
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2019 at 15:07
For me it's:
God = Good  (the goodness in people)
DEvil = Evil (the badness in people)

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2019 at 18:47
Why does God need a starship?
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2019 at 15:32
Seems strange to me God would choose a time when most people were illerate and superstitious to have contact with humans.

If she made contact now it would be videoed and streaming for all to see and the discussion would end.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2019 at 18:11
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Seems strange to me God would choose a time when most people were illerate and superstitious to have contact with humans.

If she made contact now it would be videoed and streaming for all to see and the discussion would end.
If Jesus was alive now in this cynical and scientific age we live in, I don't think he would have quite the same impact as he did 2,000 years ago.

If David Icke - who claims to be the son of God - had been around 2,000 years ago, then maybe he'd be the one who's worshipped in church now. Smile
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2019 at 07:58

I'm also an atheist when it comes to "Clapton is God". ;)

ummm...  

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2019 at 08:27
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

If Jesus was alive now in this cynical and scientific age we live in, I don't think he would have quite the same impact as he did 2,000 years ago.

If David Icke - who claims to be the son of God - had been around 2,000 years ago, then maybe he'd be the one who's worshipped in church now. Smile

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0506/786683-david-icke-son-of-god/

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Formentera Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 13:35
Reading this thread made my day, especially
Originally posted by Frankh Frankh wrote:

The Gates Of Delirium
LOLLOLLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>