Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jethro Tull Legendary?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Is Jethro Tull legendary just for every album up to A Passion Play?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [57.14%]
14 [40.00%]
1 [2.86%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 08:01
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I think any group that spans six decades deserves legendary status. Smile

that's not what the question is...
I you read my reply, then I think you can guess which way I voted. Wink

six decades? I did not know JT started in 1959... Big smile
arithmatic is hard LOL

are they legendary based on their first 5 years? That's what you're asked. Not five decades... LOL
Yes, six decades:- 1960's; 1970's; 1980's; 1990's; 2000's; & 2010's. There's nothing wrong with my maths. Wink

oh but there is, JT started in 1968. Are we in the year 2028 and I don't lnow? LOL
I said six decades, not seven decades. I've just listed the six decades of Jethro Tull's existence in front of you. I couldn't make it any clearer than that. Wink

do the math
2019-1968= ?
LOL
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 08:03
I think yes.  Their legendary status was sealed with the early albums, though Songs and Heavy Horses are equally good. 
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 08:29
is that a real question?
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 08:37
Well... NO. Why should be JT legendary just for albums up to Passion Play? IMO in 70's JT were pretty good consistently. Songs from the Wood or Heavy Horses are much more important (and better) than, say, This Was (certainly for me). Even in first half of '80 they have a few records I like.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 08:56

I think any group that spans six decades deserves legendary status. Smile

that's not what the question is...
I you read my reply, then I think you can guess which way I voted. Wink

six decades? I did not know JT started in 1959... Big smile
arithmatic is hard LOL

are they legendary based on their first 5 years? That's what you're asked. Not five decades... LOL
Yes, six decades:- 1960's; 1970's; 1980's; 1990's; 2000's; & 2010's. There's nothing wrong with my maths. Wink

oh but there is, JT started in 1968. Are we in the year 2028 and I don't lnow? LOL
I said six decades, not seven decades. I've just listed the six decades of Jethro Tull's existence in front of you. I couldn't make it any clearer than that. Wink

do the math
2019-1968= ?
LOL
I'm counting all six decades that Jethro Tull have been active, from the 1960's through to this present decade, making six decades in all.  I don't see why that's so difficult for you to comprehend. Tongue
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 08:58
He’s not saying they’ve been active for 60 years, he means they’ve been active in 6 different decades
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 09:11
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

He’s not saying they’ve been active for 60 years, he means they’ve been active in 6 different decades

Thanks for explaining it better than I did. Wink
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 09:19

I'm counting all six decades that Jethro Tull have been active, from the 1960's through to this present decade, making six decades in all.  I don't see why that's so difficult for you to comprehend. Tongue

no, you said and I quote "I think any group that spans six decades deserves legendary status" - 50 years is not  six decades. That's all.
You also have to judge their legendary status of their early work up to 1973. That's the question here.

Edited by Cristi - November 14 2019 at 09:21
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 09:30

no, you said and I quote "I think any group that spans six decades deserves legendary status" - 50 years is not  six decades. That's all.
You also have to judge their legendary status of their early work up to 1973. That's the question here.
Yes, spanning six decades quite literally means Jethro Tull have been active through the 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 1990's. 2000's, & 2010's. That's six decades, as I said earlier. Wink

I think this thread could span six decades too, the way things are going. LOL

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 14 2019 at 09:33
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 09:35

Yes, spanning six decades quite literally means Jethro Tull have been active through the 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 1990's. 2000's, & 2010's. That's six decades, as I said earlier. Wink

I think this thread could span six decades too, the way things are going. LOL

LOL
how can you say "through the 1960s" when they were active the last two years of that decade?
trololololol LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 09:45
^^ It simply means that Jethro Tull began in the 1960's. It doesn't mean they have to have been active for the entire decade. When this thread goes over into 2020, as it surely will do, then it will have spanned two decades, the 2010's and 2020's. NOW do you get it? Ermm

I think this thread has the potential to become legendary too. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 14 2019 at 09:49
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 09:53

^^ It simply means that Jethro Tull began in the 1960's. It doesn't mean they have to have been active for the entire decade.

are you serious? this is not how it works. LOL
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 09:57
I think it's ok to say that Jethro Tull has been active in 6 decades, even if it's not yet 60 years.  It's a way of exaggerating the longevity factor.  Probably no need to get too worked up over it
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 10:08

^^ It simply means that Jethro Tull began in the 1960's. It doesn't mean they have to have been active for the entire decade.

are you serious? this is not how it works. LOL
Yes,  I'm serious. I don't see why the concept of a group spanning six decades is so hard for you to understand.  Just to make it clear, when a group spans six decades, it doesn't necessarily mean the group has to have been active for sixty years. Smile
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 10:10
I would not classify Tull's first three releases or APP legendary. Aqualung and TAAB for sure.

So my answer is no.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 10:14
I voted "No." Their legendary status extends beyond APP.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 10:26
Does the word "span" have a different meaning in the UK? I've always considered it to mean something like "full extent," so by saying it spanned two decades, means to me 20 years. I'm sure there are different usages of "span" in the States as well. 

Anyway, I voted no. But then I think the album "A" is a legendary amalgam of prog and new wave. But I'm weird like that.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 10:32
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I would not classify Tull's first three releases or APP legendary.

Reported.

Such heretic comments surely deserves a 6 months ban, at the very least.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 10:35
Think of a group spanning six decades in the same way as a suspension bridge spanning a river. There are the two stanchions securing the bridge either side of the river, and then there is the main span crossing the river. So we have the 1960's and the 2010's at either end and then we have the main span of the four full decades in between, which totals six decades. Smile

If you still don't understand it, Cristi, then read Doug McAuliffe's excellent explanation again. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 14 2019 at 10:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 10:40
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I would not classify Tull's first three releases or APP legendary.

Reported.

Such heretic comments surely deserves a 6 months ban, at the very least.
Maybe it was just a hectic comment said on the spur of the moment. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>