Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What’s your biggest gripe with the top 100

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 20:07
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

This...

Average rating: The classic calculation of the average but more weight is affected to the rating of progarchives.com collaborators and to rating with reviews.

- Rating only: Weight = 1 
- Review by members : Weight = 10 
- Review by PA Collaborators : Weight = 20 

20 to 1? Not fair in my opinion. And Miles and all jazz-rock/fusion will never be prog for me.

Interesting point, would you change 1 to 5 or lower collaborator influence? Or both?
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 20:34

This...

Average rating: The classic calculation of the average but more weight is affected to the rating of progarchives.com collaborators and to rating with reviews.

20 to 1? Not fair in my opinion. And Miles and all jazz-rock/fusion will never be prog for me.

Albums like Kind Of Blue in the top 100 are due to the all albums policy of adding artists. If we could tag albums individually it would labeled as non-prog and wouldn't be able to show up. That's definitely something i would love to see changed.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 23:09
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Kind Of Blue... It's a landmark jazz album for sure, perhaps progressive in its own ways, but it sure as hell ain't progressive rock in any way. Worst thing is that it's ahead of some of the Miles Davis albums that are the reason he's on PA in the first place. While I'm not going to say we should award stars based solely on how "prog" or "progressive" an album is, the definition of a 5-star rating here is "Essential: a masterpiece of progressive rock music" - so I think its status here is unwarranted.

Other then that, I don't care. People have different opinions than me, whoop de doo.

I have no gripes with Kind Of Blue. It's a brilliant jazz album, but if it qualifies for the top 100 list why doesn't the equally brilliant folk album, Lindisfarne's Dingly Dell qualify for even a mention anywhere on the Prog Archives? 

Edited by iluvmarillion - February 17 2020 at 23:10
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 23:53

This...

1 - 10 - 20 is fine. 0 - 10 - 20 would be even finer.

If my ageing memory still serves me, long ago the ratio has been 1 - 3 - 10, so it has improved.

Edited by someone_else - February 18 2020 at 00:01
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 23:58
my favourite album (Brain Salad Surgery) doesn't make the top 100 but the rating itself is fine. There is an awful lot of stuff that is too highly rated. I wouldn't count Fragile as that is probably the best 'starter prog' album there is. Dark Side Of The Moon and In The Court Of The Crimson King are the 2 albums I would jettison from the top ten ( but fine for the top 100) . Also Rick Wakeman should have at least one album in the top 100. I would like a lot less Camel and Tull and a lot more ELP in the top 100. Don't mind Opeth appearing a lot as they are one of the post 70's BIG SIX as far as I'm concerned.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 01:41
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Kind Of Blue... It's a landmark jazz album for sure, perhaps progressive in its own ways, but it sure as hell ain't progressive rock in any way. Worst thing is that it's ahead of some of the Miles Davis albums that are the reason he's on PA in the first place. While I'm not going to say we should award stars based solely on how "prog" or "progressive" an album is, the definition of a 5-star rating here is "Essential: a masterpiece of progressive rock music" - so I think its status here is unwarranted.

Other then that, I don't care. People have different opinions than me, whoop de doo.

I definitely agree with this. The fact that Bitches Brew is so low is also a travesty. That should be his highest rated album on this website.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 02:54
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

Miles Davis? Tool? Pain of Salvation? Queensryche?

I understand why some are upset with that Miles Davis album from 1959 in the top 100.

Sad to see progressive metal usually bashed these days, there's hardly anyone to talk about it on the forum.

Tool and Pain of Salvation are two bands that blew my mind when i first listened to a full lenth album from them. Tool with Aenema and PoS with their debut album, late 90s, I found both to be unique, interesting and very enjoyable.

As for Queensryche, O:M is one of those albums that were groundbreaking when released, and it's albumthat has aged well.

I got no gripes with these bands.

I also find it both funny and lame seeing some people always annoyed by the top 100. ConfusedBig smile

Edited by Cristi - February 18 2020 at 02:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 03:03
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I understand why some are upset with that Miles Davis album from 1959 in the top 100.

Sad to see progressive metal usually bashed these days, there's hardly anyone to talk about it on the forum.

Tool and Pain of Salvation are two bands that blew my mind when i first listened to a full lenth album from them. Tool with Aenema and PoS with their debut album, late 90s, I found both to be unique, interesting and very enjoyable.

As for Queensryche, O:M is one of those albums that were groundbreaking when released, and it's albumthat has aged well.

I also find it both funny and lame seeing some people always annoyed by the top 100. ConfusedBig smile

I'd argue there's not a lot of high quality, non-sterile sounding progressive metal as a whole. Dream Theater is the pinnacle of what I avoid regarding progressive metal, yet they seem to be heralded as the end-all archetype of that style. 

We need more stuff like Gorguts Obscura. Basically Beefheart with better gear, downtuned lol.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 03:04
My grippest bike with the top 100?
That it’s a “thing”

How anyone can be annoyed by something as nonsensical as a popularity contest is beyond me. People have different tastebuds and rate the music accordingly...and the list forms after that.
That being said, one of the few real annoyances I have with it is the level of ratings manipulation that follows suit. That is just sad.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 03:10
I've just taken a look at the PA Top 100 and I don't have any problem with it at all. Most of the artists and albums in the chart tally with the voting results from all of the polls I've ever ran. Smile

On the subject of Miles Davis, if he's going to be included in PA on account of his "Bitches Brew" album being Jazz-Rock/Fusion, then ALL of his albums have to be included too, including "Kind of Blue", so I have no problem at all with that particular album being in the PA Top 100, even though it's not remotely Prog-Rock, or even Jazz-Rock/Fusion. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 18 2020 at 03:12
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 03:15
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I'd argue there's not a lot of high quality, non-sterile sounding progressive metal as a whole. Dream Theater is the pinnacle of what I avoid regarding progressive metal, yet they seem to be heralded as the end-all archetype of that style. 

We need more stuff like Gorguts Obscura. Basically Beefheart with better gear, downtuned lol.

Dream Theater hasn't been the pinnacle of anything in quite some time.
There is plenty of intersting progressive metal out there. Sure, I've heard some bland/bad albums as well, but overall it's a genre I enjoy a lot.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 03:36
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

what’s your biggest personal gripe with our top 100 albums.

That it lends credence to Pedro's otherwise deranged posts/rants about how the PA membership treat music like a sports league table.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 03:37

There is plenty of intersting progressive metal out there. Sure, I've heard some bland/bad albums as well, but overall it's a genre I enjoy a lot.

I say pinnacle because ask anyone if they like progressive metal and the first thing they'll say is "Like Dream Theater?". My argument is that's a poor standard to go by lol. They are the definition of dry, safe, sterile metal in all manners for me. I also despise anything with falsetto vocals as = progressive metal. James Labrie is a bad vocalist in all ways that matter IMHO.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 04:11

I say pinnacle because ask anyone if they like progressive metal and the first thing they'll say is "Like Dream Theater?". My argument is that's a poor standard to go by lol. They are the definition of dry, safe, sterile metal in all manners for me. I also despise anything with falsetto vocals as = progressive metal. James Labrie is a bad vocalist in all ways that matter IMHO.

and I wasn't even talking about DT...
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 04:17
The PA top 100 makes a lot more sense if you split it between everything recorded before 1980 and everything after it. 'The Human Equation' and 'Symbolic' just can't be compared to 'Godbluff' and 'Meddle'. The PA top lists can easily be adjusted to finetune ones own tastes and interests. For me it functions perfectly, especially when you also use Rate Your Music's lists generator as a back-up reference.

For writing this post I took a look to the un-altered version of the all-time top 100 and was actually a bit surprised of the may records I used to own. I started counting and came to 30 records .
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 04:58
Try to avoid gripes. People just complain too much. Naturally I am not excited about so many Italian prog albums there because I am not a fan of that part of prog at all, but I think it´s great thing to those who enjoy it.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 05:48
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

This...

Interesting point, would you change 1 to 5 or lower collaborator influence? Or both?
All votes should have equal rate.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 06:04
Approximately only 20% of it contains releases from 1990 onward. It's one reason I don't take the top 100 seriously.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 06:14
To complain just because the top 100 does not agree with my personal top 100 would be simply churlish.

The diversity of opinion is what makes the site interesting

I also think that people who bother to write a review should get more credit than those who just give a rating.  Writing reviews needs to be encouraged.

What does occasionally get my goat is seeing an album that's just been released, that has half a dozen senior reviewers fawning all over it, suddenly propelled into the top 50 ahead of classic prog albums that have hundreds of reviews.

The number of reviews that an album has received ought to be given more weight in the ranking system.
Songs cast a light on you
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 06:26

All votes should have equal rate.

Think of collaborators weighted ratings as akin to the US electoral college if you feel democratic representation is being undermined (or have you emigrated already?)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>