Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why can't I stand most modern prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 06:12
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

The 70s bands caught lightning in a bottle.

This.

Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

I think the music itself today is just as strong as in the 70's ... but it was new and fresh in the 70's so it made more of an emotional impact Tongue

I also think how music is consumed now has a huge influence on perception! How often do we have to wait to go to the record store, get the physical product, get it home, turn it on, and enjoy?

Now you click a link and can hear an entire album before it's even out, and pre-judge it from your computer chair/on your way to work while you scroll through Spotify lol. HUGE impact IMHO!
I agree that there's instant gratification with modern music, but it's still the same degree of gratification when it's warranted.

Edited by SteveG - February 25 2020 at 06:17
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 14:03
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Hm, listening carefully to non prog music is like experimenting with wearing womens clothes...what if you enjoy it too much???

LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 01:43
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

The 70s bands caught lightning in a bottle.

This.

Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

I think the music itself today is just as strong as in the 70's ... but it was new and fresh in the 70's so it made more of an emotional impact Tongue

I also think how music is consumed now has a huge influence on perception! How often do we have to wait to go to the record store, get the physical product, get it home, turn it on, and enjoy?

Now you click a link and can hear an entire album before it's even out, and pre-judge it from your computer chair/on your way to work while you scroll through Spotify lol. HUGE impact IMHO!
I agree that there's instant gratification with modern music, but it's still the same degree of gratification when it's warranted.

Absolutely. The method of deliver has changed, that's all. That previous method was a huge part of the experience, however! Smile

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 02:19
Originally posted by jpaleschic jpaleschic wrote:

Obviously rhetorical and rooted in subjectives, but I'd wager a percentage of prog fanatics have their own cut off point in the timeline of records that just start to smell cheesy, taste cloying, or have substituted a sense of exploration for mind masturbation.  Maybe it's just the tape hiss, the old machinery, the handmade beeps and blips of yesteryears that I love?  Maybe prog is a portal I jump into to escape the now, the sheen of nowness slipping me off its back like water on a duck.  Maybe I hate the tabla LOL?

I'd love to acquire the names of a band or two, post '99, that other members of an "only the classics" ilk have come around to - especially if you never thought you would.  What modern bands aren't represented on progarchives you feel neatly carry the torch?  What monsters of modern prog would you never mind being erased from collective memory?

You are looking for love in all the wrong places

Nahh just pulling your leg. I actually know a lot of people who feel like you do..and most of the time it seems to be the production at fault.
Bands are making obvious retro-styled prog rock yet continuously wrap the music in 90s metal production or similarly something that sounds like it was recorded in a vacuum by scientists in white gloves.

There are however many many bands that genuinely sound like they just stepped out of a time machine: Wobbler, Dungen, Astra, Once And Future Band, Tusmřrke, Gösta Berlings Saga, Landberk etc etc. Believe me it’s just a matter of better knowing where xactly to look for this and suddenly you are drowning in music.

But yeah..most of this is probably also down to your head. If you approach music by release date it can become impossible to hear the actual music because your brain constantly is making up reasons why it shouldn’t be any good
Also a question of what you’re looking for? Music that sounds like the good old days or music that is truly progressive?

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 26 2020 at 02:20
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910