Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 5 Genesis Songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 01:20
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Where is the support for A Trick of the Tail?  Only me?
To me Gabriel era is absolutely best Genesis era. Anyway going to listen soon "Wind & Wuthering" and "Trick" (quite long time since I´ve listened them, not long ago I listened We Can´t Dance, Abacab & ...then there were three... after some years pause.)

I agree. I think the Peter Gabriel era was the best Genesis era too, but "Trick of the Tail" and "Wind & Wuthering" are both surprisingly good albums without Peter Gabriel at the helm. Smile

Genesis completely lost my support after the "Duke" album though. Confused 
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 01:49

Same list I have had in that 20 best Genesis project (hope it will continue)

I agree - I've enjoyed seeing the lists and suggestions develop on that thread.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 02:13
1-Supper's Ready
2-The Musical Box
3-The Colony of Slippermen
4-The Cinema Show
5-The Fountain of Salmacis
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 03:36
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Where is the support for A Trick of the Tail?  Only me?
To me Gabriel era is absolutely best Genesis era. Anyway going to listen soon "Wind & Wuthering" and "Trick" (quite long time since I´ve listened them, not long ago I listened We Can´t Dance, Abacab & ...then there were three... after some years pause.)

I agree. I think the Peter Gabriel era was the best Genesis era too, but "Trick of the Tail" and "Wind & Wuthering" are both surprisingly good albums without Peter Gabriel at the helm. Smile

Genesis completely lost my support after the "Duke" album though. Confused 
I agree about after Gabriel-era. Phil has done really great job in vocals, I think it was the only solution in that situation that would have worked although Phil wouldn´t have wanted to become a frontman (it´s not long ago I read his book, it´s great book). Anyway I think they lost something in their music after Peter, it become somehow colder, but anyway those two albums are my favorites too from after Gabriel albums. I like at least a little all the other Genesis albums, but Calling All Stations is not Genesis album IMO.

If Genesis is coming to Finland somewhere in the future, have to think coming to see them. Just because never seen them (really would like to see Gabriel in vocals and Hackett in guitar, but it´s very possible never happened).
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 05:06
^^ I bought and read Phil Collins' book too, titled "Not Dead Yet", with a cover featuring a cheeky chappie knowing smile from Phil. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 05:35
Latest poll update:-

1. Supper's Ready (58 points)
2. Firth of Fifth (32 points)
2. The Musical Box (32 points)
4. Watcher of the Skies (16 points)
5. The Cinema Show (15 points)
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 06:03
Firth of Firth
The musical box
The cinema show
The return of the giant hogweed
Eleventh Earl of Mar.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 06:26
Latest poll update, with Earl of Mar's votes added:-

2. Firth of Fifth (38 points)
3. The Musical Box (36 points)
4. The Cinema Show (18 points)
5. Watcher of the Skies (16 points)
A Bard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 07:40
1. The Cinema Show( with isle of plenty) 
2. Firth of a Fifth 
3. In the Cave 
4. I Know What I Like Seconds out Version 
5.  The Colony Of Slipperman 

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 07:43
Stagnation
The Fountain of Salmacis
Firth of Fifth
Entangled
The Lady Lies
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 08:19
1 - the Musical Box
2 - Dance on a Volcano
3 - the Carpet Crawlers
4 - Get 'Em Out By Friday
5 - the Return of the Giant Hogweed

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 08:22
^ I’ve never seen the appeal in The Carpet Crawlers. One of the weaker moments off The Lamb for me. I just find the song very ‘ordinary’. Not having a go, but many folks seem to like it a lot.....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 08:29
^ Yes, it's conventionally mainstream 'pretty' but nonetheless for me, exquisitely beautiful (but maybe not anyone's idea of bona fide Prog composition) I guess it represents an example of what presaged Gabriel's eventual estrangement from his colleagues which is kinda ironic given the fondant pap they went on to churn out much later

Edited by ExittheLemming - May 14 2020 at 08:33
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 08:46
^ I kinda put it in the same league as the ‘fondant pap’ you speak of, but I do like some of this icky sticky substance they churned out in their later years.

Edited by Tom Ozric - May 14 2020 at 08:47
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 08:48
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ I’ve never seen the appeal in The Carpet Crawlers. One of the weaker moments off The Lamb for me. I just find the song very ‘ordinary’. Not having a go, but many folks seem to like it a lot.....
The Carpet Crawlers is my favourite song on The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway album. Smile Here's the latest poll update:-

2. Firth of Fifth (45 points)
3. The Musical Box (42 points)
4. The Cinema Show (24 points)
5. Watcher of the Skies (16 points)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 09:10
1. Supper's Ready 
2. Firth of Fifth 
3. Watcher of the Skies
4. Musical Box
5. Dancing  With the Moonlit Knight
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 09:12

^ I kinda put it in the same league as the ‘fondant pap’ you speak of, but I do like some of this icky sticky substance they churned out in their later years.

Well perhaps there is 'thinking man's' fondant pap and that even hell has a door policy
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 09:21

it's a good song.
funny thing, my favorite version of the song is the re-working of it for a compilation from 1999. 
They did it with the help of technology, obviously, they did not do it together, in the same room that is LOL
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 09:26
Firth of Fifth
Cinema Show
Ripples
Blood on the Rooftops
In the Cage
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 11:40
Latest poll update:-

1. Supper's Ready (64 points)
2. Firth of Fifth (55 points)
3. The Musical Box (44 points)
4. The Cinema Show (28 points)
5. Watcher of the Skies (19 points)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>