Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: What do you think of Magma?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [33.33%]
13 [20.63%]
10 [15.87%]
2 [3.17%]
9 [14.29%]
1 [1.59%]
5 [7.94%]
2 [3.17%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 00:47
VERY good band (Option 2)! Took me a bit to get around to them, but they clicked fast for me last winter!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 02:49
One of my favorites bands and among the best I've ever seen play live. That said; I don't own all their albums anymore. I really like the jazzy/avant first two albums, Tristan & Isolde, Live/Hhai, KA, E-ré and Felicité Thosz. Beyond that the Mythes et Légandes dvd-series, which documents the band's entire career in a live setting, is among the most impressive live footage of progrock history imho.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 03:49
I can appreciate the uniqueness and what they are doing, but I haven't been able to enjoy listening to their music so far.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 04:22
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'm sure it can depend on the performance, the venue, and one's mood at the time. It definitely didn't help that I took my wife to it and I was worrying about her reaction during the concert. I was feeling kind of embarrassed. She appreciated the experience more than I did. We both laughed during the opening speech (sorry, speech giver), which was embarrassing as it was a small venue. I saw Air Supply with her around the same time, which is one of her favourites, and I could enjoy that even though it's not my usual fare.

I have actually been to see far more classical concerts than rock, and so I kind of come in with certain expectations such as the audience should remain quiet during the performance, and please dress elegantly for the occasion. ;)

I've seen them live once (probably around 2000) and it was OK, good concert actually, but I wouldn't list that one in my top 20 concerts.
I know the experience by the way that if I take somebody to a concert who isn't already a fan themselves, I somehow feel responsible for their happiness and that can be a distraction. I tend to like concerts more where I go alone, or with people who have chosen to go based on their own knowledge of the band without big advertising from my side.
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 04:44
I picked Option 3, but the best descirption would be: "They are VERY GOOD / I listen to them once a year"
Like, it's such a unique way of playing prog and coming up with volcanic sopranos (wtf?) that I can't brush them off as simply "good". But I also rarely need a soundtrack for Earth conquest / sonic recreation of the end of the world.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 04:46
Rounded this one up a bit to option #1.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 04:50
Smile when I heard Magma for the first time I just thought YUCK and I still think Yuck 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 04:55
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

Smile when I heard Magma for the first time I just thought YUCK and I still think Yuck 

'YUCK"? did you eat something bad, awful?

sometimes how you say it is just as important as what you say. 
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 05:12
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

"Yuck" isn't limited sensory input from taste or smell.

Quote yuck
exclamation   informal (also yuk)
UK  /jʌk/ US  /jʌk/

an expression of disgust (= disapproval and dislike):
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 05:19
Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

"Yuck" isn't limited sensory input from taste or smell.

Quote yuck
exclamation   informal (also yuk)
UK  /jʌk/ US  /jʌk/

an expression of disgust (= disapproval and dislike):

just a lame joke
I've never heard anyone referring to music as "yuck" though. Maybe "urgh". LOL
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 05:24
Option #2, as I'm rarely in the mood to listen to them but I enjoy them immensely when I am.
I saw them once in 2015, it was a very intense show. Their flight had been cancelled and they arrived late and were clearly pissed, which actually contributed to the performance.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 06:07
I've tried, but, just like with PT/Steven Wilson, I just can't get into them.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 07:11
They are a great band, and I listen t them quite often.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 10:50
They are great, but I don't listen to them that often... Finally decided for the third option.
I discovered them in the 80s and one or two albums on cassette, but hardly listened to them. A couple of years ago I bought a cheap CD box set and they were much more of a pleasant surprise/rediscovery than they were back then. Great music, but I still don't listen to them very frequently.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 11:54
I don't listen to them nearly enough but they are definitely one of my greatest revelations since I returned to progressive rock music in 2008. MDK is the second or third greatest album, start-to-finish, I've ever heard and the 21st Century releases and live albums are almost as good!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 14:39
1001 degrees and Wurdah are excellent. Definitely a top 10 prog band.
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 16:27
Option 1.  They can be hard to get into, but once you do....

Its always better for me to watch them perform, rather than just listen. Vander is the the most fascinating drummer you'll ever see!  It's awesome to see him and the band get into "the Zone": once there, there's no other musical experience like it!
Z
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Guden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 19:35
first played them on SPACE PIRATE RADIO in 1974 & have never stopped in 46 years of broadcasts.  finally had the pleasure of meeting Christian & Stella in San Francisco in 1999.  haven't missed a California tour since.  the last one in Los Angeles at the Regent Theatre was superb.
https://twitch.tv/guygudenspacepirateradio
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 22:16
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

I've tried, but, just like with PT/Steven Wilson, I just can't get into them.

Hi,

Tongue

Who's PT/Steven Wilson?

Embarrassed

Wink

At the very least, MAGMA will be remembered for being a band that did its own thing and created something that is widely copied ... and the history of its material will live a heck of a lot longer than the rock music by said person above ... which hardly differs from many others!

ART has a way to be remembered ... and PT/SW is very nice and enjoyable, but hardly "ART".
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 00:37
I was interested enough in them to see them perform in Seattle. They were fantastic! Voted option 2 - excellent/very good. The missus won't let me play them when she is around, though.

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>