Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rick Wakeman: The Caped Crusader of Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 10:45
I have just bought out of the blue on the recommendation of several reviews here. I have been reading Rick's two grumpy old men books which are very funny and fancied some live Rick. A great laugh, excellent raconteur and brilliant musician.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 10:51
Originally posted by Earl of Mar Earl of Mar wrote:

I have just bought out of the blue on the recommendation of several reviews here. I have been reading Rick's two grumpy old men books which are very funny and fancied some live Rick. A great laugh, excellent raconteur and brilliant musician.

I'm looking forward to watching some of the Grumpy Old Men videos on YouTube, especially if they feature Rick Wakeman. By the way, his autobiography is titled "Grumpy Old Rock Star" Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 20 2020 at 10:52
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 12:54
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I once made a 4 hour round trip by car to see his 'stand up' show on a school night . Great musician and great personality. His stories about touring in the seventies are absolutely hilarious. The man that put the 'fun' into prog for sure! 

Read Rick's two Grumpy Old Rock Star books! They're better than fiction! A third volume is coming!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 12:56
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'm looking forward to watching some of the Grumpy Old Men videos on YouTube, especially if they feature Rick Wakeman. By the way, his autobiography is titled "Grumpy Old Rock Star" Smile

As I just wrote, there are two Grumpy books! And a third is happening! I can't wait. Clap
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 13:05
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

For some reason, I think Rick Wakeman's talent, contributions, personality were at the core of what made YES fantastic in the first place. It doesn't mean I don't respect Squire-Anderson-Howe LLP, of course I do and would never replace them... but Rick's shining moments elevated already great music to stratosphere. Sounds he created made YES music twice as picturesque, imo.

And his no-nonsense, a bit of a jerk attitude balanced things out a bit I'm sure! I believe they made a mistake in 1973 with Topographics dominated by Jon and Steve ideas; if Rick had more say in it, we'd get more of his solos perhaps... or reduced length at least.

It's great he came back for GFTO, as well as briefly in the 90s, this is the go-to keyboard wizard for Yes... and his 70s output rivals Hackett and the best in the genre (Wives, Journey, Myths, Connection and Criminal). I also have a soft spot for Wakeman With Wakeman: Romance of the Victorian Age (1994). A bit quiet and simplistic, but atmosphere is great.

Feel free to recommend me his lesser known albums Big smile

Do you have Retro and Retro 2? Rick dusted off his old analog gear for those!!

Criminal Record is essential, essential, essential!

The new album, Red Planet!

More good ones:

Rhapsodies
White Rock
The Burning
Wakeman with Wakeman (Instrumentals by Rick & Adam)
Wakeman with Wakeman – Live: Official Bootleg
Wakeman with Wakeman – No Expense Spared
The Piano Album
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 13:14

Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

What’s the question

To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take Arms against a Sea of troubles,

Have a Cigar, my friend, and make it a Hamlet. Smile

Tiz the season to be cheerful
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2020 at 13:49

What’s the question

To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take Arms against a Sea of troubles,

Have a Cigar, my friend, and make it a Hamlet. Smile

Tiz the season to be cheerful
Yes, it'll be Mostly Autumn soon, then we can both celebrate. Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 03:47
A mysterious package dropped through my letter box this morning with "Rick's Place" on it. Turns out it's the DVD to go with his recent album, which was delayed at the time of release.

Edited by chopper - October 21 2020 at 03:49
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 10:34
The DVDs are shipping! Cool!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 01:48
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Yep, indeed they are. I didn't get an email or see anything on Rick's Twitter feed though.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 10:48
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Yep, indeed they are. I didn't get an email or see anything on Rick's Twitter feed though.

Rick's been hittin' it hard at the piano, cooking up more music! Clap
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 12:13
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 18:06

That's a great album. No Earthly Connection in particular sounds great (I like it much better than the whole studio album).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 18:07

Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

For some reason, I think Rick Wakeman's talent, contributions, personality were at the core of what made YES fantastic in the first place. It doesn't mean I don't respect Squire-Anderson-Howe LLP, of course I do and would never replace them... but Rick's shining moments elevated already great music to stratosphere. Sounds he created made YES music twice as picturesque, imo.

And his no-nonsense, a bit of a jerk attitude balanced things out a bit I'm sure! I believe they made a mistake in 1973 with Topographics dominated by Jon and Steve ideas; if Rick had more say in it, we'd get more of his solos perhaps... or reduced length at least.

It's great he came back for GFTO, as well as briefly in the 90s, this is the go-to keyboard wizard for Yes... and his 70s output rivals Hackett and the best in the genre (Wives, Journey, Myths, Connection and Criminal). I also have a soft spot for Wakeman With Wakeman: Romance of the Victorian Age (1994). A bit quiet and simplistic, but atmosphere is great.

Feel free to recommend me his lesser known albums Big smile

Do you have Retro and Retro 2? Rick dusted off his old analog gear for those!!

Criminal Record is essential, essential, essential!

The new album, Red Planet!

More good ones:

Rhapsodies
White Rock
The Burning
Wakeman with Wakeman (Instrumentals by Rick & Adam)
Wakeman with Wakeman – Live: Official Bootleg
Wakeman with Wakeman – No Expense Spared
The Piano Album

I would add Out There and Return to the Centre of the Earth. As well as the re-recordings of Journey and Arthur (and the 6 Wives at Hampton Court).
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 18:17
The key question is: is Rick better than Keith E?
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 01:17
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

I can remember as an ELP fan being quite annoyed when I heard Rick's Six Wives for the first time (on headphones over at a friends place circa 1977) . Nailed it.

Of course they were the two that got all the attention in those days as both were incredibly flamboyant and helped raise prog rock in the general consciousness. They both had ever expanding keyboard rigs to match their ever expanding egos it seemed. While Keith was doing stuff with an orchestra in ELP , Rick was doing Judas Iscariot with a choir. They never understood the idea of 'small' that for certain. I would say Rick was the better player but Emerson's excellent Piano Concerto was never quite matched by Wakeman for pure creativity I feel.  Overall its a score draw although Emerson's general influence within Rock Music (not just prog) was much greater that's for sure.

Edited by richardh - October 28 2020 at 01:19
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 10:25
I was watching a very average movie last night called Bullet to Beijing with Michael Caine ruining the iconic Harry Palmer character. The redeeming feature was Rick did the score for the movie.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 20:23
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

I don't know who's the better player, but I certainly enjoy Ricks music much better than Emerson's (both solo and with Yes).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 12:20
Starting tomorrow (New Year's Day), I'll be embarking on an epic Journey to the Centre of Rick Wakeman's humungous discography, listening to and rating each and every album along the way, and also offering Rick's own candid and humorous perspective on each of his albums, taken from his website, Rick's Place. Star

3 stars Piano Vibrations (1971) - Unofficial release: not considered a Rick Wakeman album, even by Rick himself. Smile

Rick's Perspective

"This was never meant to be a solo album and to be honest I certainly don't count it as a solo album in any respect. True it is a piece of history, but not one I'm proud of."

"I was actually booked to play piano on a session at Pye Studios in London's Marble Arch and it was to play on some backtracks for an unknown singer who was due in later that week to put his vocals on."

"Shortly afterwards I started having some success with Strawbs and the next thing we knew was that the album was being put out by PYE Records as "Piano Vibrations" with no vocalist and with a picture of me on the back."

"I was unhappy and A&M Records, who had Strawbs and myself signed, were furious."

"I received £9 for my trouble."

Rick's Verdict

"If you're in to collecting nostalgia and history then this is for you. If you are a music lover however then save your money!"

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 02 2021 at 03:46
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 12:26
i became a rick wakeman solo album fan with NO EARTHLY CONNECTION.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>