Topic ClosedThe American Politics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 104105106107108 434>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 12:25
Whatever happens, it will be an excuse to drink.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 10:55
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

Sadly, I suspect that a Biden win will be followed by a legal challenge from the Republicans which will be ultimately decided by the Republican dominated Supreme Court Unhappy
yeah,  civil war again! Sign me up.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 10:27
Sadly, I suspect that a Biden win will be followed by a legal challenge from the Republicans which will be ultimately decided by the Republican dominated Supreme Court Unhappy
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 09:45
I hope for a huge Biden win, but it won't be over before the fat lady sings. I certainly won't count my chickens before they have hatched.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 08:53
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

I hope to God that I'm wrong, but is anyone apart from me also predicting a landslide Republican victory? I'm sh*t scared.
For what it's worth Biden is leading in most of the polls I've seen by a good margin. I realize that doesn't always mean much but it's something. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 08:50

Mainly because I have the impression that there is a gigantic reservoir of secret Trump voters.

Those people who find admitting to it even more embarrassing now than it was four years ago. The people who don't know that their own neighbourhood is also voting Trump, thinking they are the only ones. Basically those, who are scared for a multitude of reasons including of ridicule and derision. All those, who lied to the pollsters.
Don't let the more visible Trump crowd that is superspreading the virus fool you. The race is tight and yes, many Trump fans haven't voted yet, but that changes nothing.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 08:43

Mainly because I have the impression that there is a gigantic reservoir of secret Trump voters.

Those people who find admitting to it even more embarrassing now than it was four years ago. The people who don't know that their own neighbourhood is also voting Trump, thinking they are the only ones. Basically those, who are scared for a multitude of reasons including of ridicule and derision. All those, who lied to the pollsters.
The cult surrounding Trump is neither secretive nor scared of voicing their opinion; in fact, you can't get them to shut up spewing nonsense. I also think that there is no concerted group of people "lying" to pollsters. If anything, they simply aren't answering the phone.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 08:03

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 05:08

I hope to God that I'm wrong, but is anyone apart from me also predicting a landslide Republican victory? I'm sh*t scared.
No, why? It will be close like Bush v. Gore.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 01:39
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 07:09
I'm surprised he hasn't accused the earth of changing the axis of it's rotation in order confuse republican voters when to be at the polls.

LONG LIVE DLST !!!!
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 06:38
I'm not sure exactly what the President means: Are doctors forging death certificates to state Covid although the patients died of something else for 2000 Dollars each, or are doctors killing people and stating Covid as the cause for the cash? Or are the treating patients for Covid although they've got something else? In any case, I'm shocked!

Edited by npjnpj - November 01 2020 at 06:56
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 07:58
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Three more shopping days 'til X-mas (Nov. 3.) Will Santa get the throne or will the Grinch steal Christmas?

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2020 at 07:54
Three more shopping days 'til X-mas (Nov. 3.) Will Santa get the throne or will the Grinch steal Christmas?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 21:15

Why does it seem taken for granted that all these votes are mainly democrat?
Surely, Trump supporters are equally fired up.

Texas is a bit of a wildcard here because it does not report party affiliation of the early votes unlike several other states (including Florida, where registered Democrats lead registered Republicans). 

I think that's why you are not hearing much from either side on this.  For the Republicans, a loss in Texas is too scary to contemplate.  It's the only BIG state that's been reliably Red. For the Dems, they don't want to get too cocky.  Trump doesn't have the resources to spend on Texas and is trying to fight Biden in the Upper Midwest.  Biden too is focusing on what is flippable as per conventional wisdom.  

HOWEVER, early voting in Texas has already exceeded the total vote in 2016.  Just think about that stat.  There is something afoot there.  Are there conservatives who have decided to vote this time because they don't want to lose the state to Biden?  Sure, some of them spoke to Guardian in their Anywhere But Washington episode.  But much of the increase in voting has come from metropolitan centers which in Texas too (like many other states) trend Democratic.  So THAT does not augur well for Trump.  If Texas flips, it's over for him.  And Texas counts ballots as they are received, whether mail in or person, so Texas will likely be announced on election day.  It would put paid to all of Trump's grand plans to use the newly minted conservative judge to steal the election in close states that aren't done counting. 

It's not a guarantee but the Texas data together with single digit leads for Trump in normally solid red states like Kansas, Alaska or Montana suggests a general weakening of support for Trump across the board. It would still not be enough (to ensure a Trump loss) if he manages to hold on to PA and also win Ohio and Florida...that is, if he wins Texas.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 18:33
you would think so wouldn't you Ken LOL That is a LOT of red on a national map. i get kicks out of the Virginia map.. so much red.. so few Republicans elected haha.

and yes.. they tried to do something similar before they got voted out of office in 2018/19..  adjust the states winner take all method of allocating the Electoral votes to the way Nebraska and Maine do it..  but obviously that never left the ground.  

as far as the Senate...remember though.. it was only a few short years ago the Democrats held a fillabuster proof 60 seat super-majority.

I'm sure you've heard of the 12th ammendment.. who hasn't ...

the Republicans have the edge in 25.. half the states. Democrats in 23.. two or tied..

pretty even.. but with red states moving blue.. Arizona is close to gone... Texas likely makes the first move next month.. and probably along with Georgia 

and that count is likely to shift positive Democrat next week.. as they may pick up another 10-20 House seats..  and likely with a signicant gain in the Senate

with 2022 coming up.. which is even worse electoral math for Republican senators than 2020 is proving to be. That Republican from Pennsylvania already saw the handwriting on the wall and decided to not seek reelection in 2022. He knows.. he was going down.

there are no blue states moving red.. any more than Montana or Indiana moved blue after a one off electoral bucking..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 18:05
it amazes me that the Dems can ever take the Senate, given how skewed that is towards the Republicans given that each state gets 2 senators and probably 60% of the states are red or reddish.  The same sort of bias allows the Republican president to win 310-230 while losing the popular vote by a few million.  if the shoe was on the other foot you can be sure they would be redistricting the whole map with the stacked Supreme Court's blessing.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 17:00
^^I wouldn't say 'devoured'...more like tied it to a chair with a ball gag in its mouth.

Edited by JD - October 30 2020 at 17:02
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 16:54
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

From my perspective here in dear old Blighty, I stopped taking notice of polls long ago. It beats me why respectable newspapers bother wasting their money on them.

as I did after 2016.. replaced by looking at  hard numbers.. trends.. results

the best number.. national...Democrat +10..  that is what happened when both Democrats and Republicans both turn out in historic numbers

but 2020 is not 2018...  a few things have happened in this country I might have heard about..

I would not be the least bit surprised to see the final Talley approach Biden +15. As split ticket voting is finally rearing...finally putting its 2nd foot in the grave.. Republicans have long ditched it.. Democrats finally are. Straight ticket voting and the commonality of it .. is one of the biggest changes in this country politically in the last decade.

no one thinks sharing power.. or split control works.. see Mitch McConnell. It only leads to obstruction. .nothing getting done.

this is looking like it could be a down ballot catastrophe for the Republicans.. as we have been saying (since 2018 haha) it could be.

it does look like 2020 will be like 2018 which Democrats overwelms the Republican base but even more thoroughly than it did in 2018 and why what was wave in 2018 could be tsunami in 2020.. and that mere 5-7 Senate seat flip could be a bit low but even more importantly.. at the state and local level as it is census and redistricting time...

Edited by micky - October 30 2020 at 16:56
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 16:39
I don't think you can see democracy and capitalism as standing side by side any more. What I see is democracy having been devoured by capitalism almost entirely.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 104105106107108 434>