Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which band is closer to prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which band is closer to being prog?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [9.43%]
22 [41.51%]
2 [3.77%]
2 [3.77%]
3 [5.66%]
4 [7.55%]
15 [28.30%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which band is closer to prog?
    Posted: November 16 2020 at 15:55
Just when I thought I ran out of poll ideas I came up with this one recently and so I finally get around to posting it. Tongue
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 16:02
Neither is prog in the slightest. I guess XTC would be closer, but that's like saying cheese is closer to being a school bus than the concept of infidelity. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 16:06
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Neither is prog in the slightest. I guess XTC would be closer, but that's like saying cheese is closer to being a school bus than the concept of infidelity. 

LOL

In my experience both are appreciated by many prog fans so that's why they get listed. They are both more or less from the same era also. 

Based on your answer though it seems like the last one would be the best choice for you.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 16 2020 at 16:07
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 16:15
I really like Tears for Fears, but I've never thought of them as being close to a prog band, although I'd have no complaints about them being  listed on ProgArchives. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 16:24
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I really like Tears for Fears, but I've never thought of them as being close to a prog band, although I'd have no complaints about them being  listed on ProgArchives. Smile

They have some long and longish tracks are at time rather sophisticated and on yeah Nick D'Virgilio played with them. They are proggish at times imo.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 16:43
From English Settlement onward... XTC has been very progressive.  Don't dismiss songs that are three minutes long. XTC can say more in that time than others in twenty. The concept album, Skylarking is amazing as well as many of their releases. 

Tears for Fears. No.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 16:51
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

From English Settlement onward... XTC has been very progressive.  Don't dismiss songs that are three minutes long. XTC can say more in that time than others in twenty. The concept album, Skylarking is amazing as well as many of their releases. 

Tears for Fears. No.

Have you heard TFF albums in their entirety or are you just going by the hits?
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 16:56
I would certainly recommend Apple Venus Pt. 1 to any art rock fan. Pt. 2 and Skylarking are great as well. Arty.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 17:07
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I did not like any TFF played on the radio, and never listened further.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 17:14
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I did not like any TFF played on the radio, and never listened further.

That's what I figured. Wink Imagine how many people assume a band like Kansas for example weren't prog becacuse they go just by what they hear on the radio. Maybe not quite the same thing here but I wouldn't have thought they were that proggy had I not heard their first album. That one reminded me a bit of Peter Gabriel 3 partly because of the dark tone of it. My point is sometimes you can't go just by the radio songs(which is why I brought up Kansas as an example). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 16 2020 at 17:18
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 20:26
I like a good amount of XTC but think of them more as art rock than prog but voted for them.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 21:53
XTC....love them ,but also because I never was moved by Tears for Fears....but it's interesting that The Beatles, The Who, Hendrix, etc are here as proto prog and Zep, Bowie, and Talking Heads are here as prog related when imho they are in no way any more progressive nor more creative than XTC........discuss amongst yourselves.
Wink

Edited by dr wu23 - November 16 2020 at 21:54
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 22:30
Really love both bands

Voted XTC, and check their parallel band, The Dukes Of The Stratosphear, a psychedelic and underrated band.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 00:57
XTC all the way. Tears for Fears is a synth wave band that has not even remotely anything to do with prog.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 01:06
I only know TFF, so it wouldn't be fair to pick them over a band I haven't listened to.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 03:46
Neither is close at all Tongue I'll tell you two bands that are criminally forgotten about as prog thats Boston and Toto. Wink 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 03:51
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

Neither is close at all Tongue I'll tell you two bands that are criminally forgotten about as prog thats Boston and Toto. Wink 

they could fit ONLY in prog related. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 04:41
Nothing in it really, "Seeds of Love" is a pretty prog album (as featured in Prog) and is probably more prog than anything XTC ever did.

Of the two bands, I prefer XTC by a mile but they're not really close to being prog.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 04:41
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

XTC all the way. Tears for Fears is a synth wave band that has not even remotely anything to do with prog.
I take it you've not heard Seeds of Love then?
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 05:13
Easy one, XTC for me, although I like both every once in a while. But above them I very much like the XTC spin-off The Dukes of the Stratosphere; their albums are great!

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>