Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favorite aspect(s) of Awaken

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these aspects of Yes' song "Awaken" really get you?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [4.62%]
1 [1.54%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.54%]
1 [1.54%]
3 [4.62%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [4.62%]
7 [10.77%]
11 [16.92%]
2 [3.08%]
2 [3.08%]
4 [6.15%]
24 [36.92%]
3 [4.62%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your favorite aspect(s) of Awaken
    Posted: December 09 2021 at 22:59
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

The whole thing. It's the last great long form song by Yes, and I was lucky enough to see them perform it on the GFTO tour back in the mists of time.
I also like the live version on Keys to Ascension, which is a couple of minutes longer; there are no radical changes from the studio version, but it feels more complete somehow.

The piano intro is so much better on Keys to Ascension. Though the real organ in the middle section gives that one a nice special touch missing in the live versions (even if the added minutes on that section improve it on the atmospheric aspect).
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 07:35
The most overrated song in the Yes canon. It's good but...
The Prog Corner
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 05:24
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

The TOTALITY of it all !
After all, a chocolate chip cookie doesn't taste very good when the ingredients are eaten one at a time.

LOLClap

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2021 at 05:22
Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

The entire piece... However, i  go back and forth on Howe's little guitar piece at the very end.  Not sure if it belongs there or not (for my personal experience).  When i sit down and listen Awaken, it puts me in a magical trance, especially the ending, it's just beautiful.  Then Howe breaks the trance and brings me back to physical reality.   I think i'd prefer the enchantment to gradually dissipate on it's own.

I get your point and often thought the same back in the 70s. But, I guess I've come to accept it.… If I never came out of the dreamstate that it lulled me into, I might have flunked all of my college classes.Confused 

Drew Fisher
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 16:48
All of it, really.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 15:36
The TOTALITY of it all !
After all, a chocolate chip cookie doesn't taste very good when the ingredients are eaten one at a time.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 13:02
all of it
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 13:01
Wakeman’s organ…….oo’er missus!

Edited by lazland - December 08 2021 at 13:01
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 11:40
The entire piece... However, i  go back and forth on Howe's little guitar piece at the very end.  Not sure if it belongs there or not (for my personal experience).  When i sit down and listen Awaken, it puts me in a magical trance, especially the ending, it's just beautiful.  Then Howe breaks the trance and brings me back to physical reality.   I think i'd prefer the enchantment to gradually dissipate on it's own.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 11:19
Originally posted by Progfan1958 Progfan1958 wrote:

The entire piece.  It's quite a masterful construction, and IMHO Yes's finest single piece of music.  Every segment fits together perfectly, and the playing is superb.  Going For The One may not be my favourite Yes album, but Awaken tops the bill among all of their long-form songs.

Agreed on all counts!

Drew Fisher
Progfan1958 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progfan1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 09:43
The entire piece.  It's quite a masterful construction, and IMHO Yes's finest single piece of music.  Every segment fits together perfectly, and the playing is superb.  Going For The One may not be my favourite Yes album, but Awaken tops the bill among all of their long-form songs.
Progfan1958
"Peace to you all"
"La paix est avec vous"
"Pax vobiscum"
"Al salaam a'alaykum"
"Vrede zij met u allen"
"Shalom aleichem"
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 09:08
If I had to pick one bit it's everything from "Master of images, songs cast a light on you" onwards.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syzygy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 07:50
The whole thing. It's the last great long form song by Yes, and I was lucky enough to see them perform it on the GFTO tour back in the mists of time.
I also like the live version on Keys to Ascension, which is a couple of minutes longer; there are no radical changes from the studio version, but it feels more complete somehow.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 07:27
All of it!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 07:18
Definitely "Howe's solo 2:49-3:56 (w/White's awesome drum play beneath)". That section gives me goosebumps.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 06:01
I haven't listened to Awaken for ages, so I gave it a play to see if I was missing something.
No - I still think that, overall, it's a pretentious, disjointed mess with a few nice sections.
I've gone off Yes a lot recently. I can't stand Anderson's vocals and, whilst I agree Howe is a very talented guitarist, I don't like his style of playing and particularly his guitar tone.
I only ever listen to The Yes Album, Relayer (their best album), side one of CTTE (which IS a masterpiece) and bits of Fragile now. The rest of Yes I can live without.

Edited by Hercules - December 08 2021 at 06:22
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 05:49
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I love the whole package.

So do I! It works all very well together and I just don't want to single out one aspect...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 05:26
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I think this poll is missing the Alan's Xylophone part of the song. 

I wanted to put "tuned percussion" on the same line as "delicate … (Anderson's harp play)" but there wasn't enough room!

Drew Fisher
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 02:48
I love the whole package. Awaken probably qualifies as my favourite all time Yes song.

It's got everything in there. Wakeman's organ playing is incredible, as is Andersons vocal performance. The 'dreamy' excitement conveyed in the music is prog at it's best.

Overall I think Yes sit just outside my top 5 prog bands of all time, but when they were good, they could be sublime, and Awaken is the epitome of Yes excellence.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
felonafan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote felonafan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2021 at 02:11
all of it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>